• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Guys, I've been getting into Witcher Battle Arena as my first MOBA. It's pretty fun! That said, what is the little red button all the way to the left of the skills? It's like a red exclamation mark that lights up occasionally, creates an AoE target on the field, and doesn't appear to do anything.

Guys, I've been getting into Witcher Battle Arena as my first MOBA. It's pretty fun! That said, what is the little red button all the way to the left of the skills? It's like a red exclamation mark that lights up occasionally, creates an AoE target on the field, and doesn't appear to do anything.

Based on your description and the picture on the app page, I'm guessing it's the ping button. It just sends an alert to your teammates about something, like "retreat" or "incoming enemy". I could be wrong though.

Horseticuffs

Based on your description and the picture on the app page, I'm guessing it's the ping button. It just sends an alert to your teammates about something, like "retreat" or "incoming enemy". I could be wrong though.
You know, in the absence of any way to communicate with other players, that actually makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

Horseticuffs

So I've been putting a few hours into Witcher Battle Arena and it's very good! There's practice bots that you get crowns for beating, and of course you can play co-op with real dudes and PvP. We had a massive power outage last night and I learned there's even an offline mode!

My tablet is no beast (N7 2012) and I just lower the resolution a bit and it runs great. Give it a shot! Even if you aren't into MOBA games. Hell, this is my first, too!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Damn def will try. I've casually dabled with DOTA1, DOTA2, and LoL over the years, but I'm by no means a hardcore player.

Would be nice to have another good go to game on my N7 2013 edition as right now it's basically Hearthstone or bust.

ilium

I was playing a lot adventure time card wars during the Christmas holidays and really enjoyed it. But ultimately I stopped because even tho you have to pay for the game there is a stupid stamina system (or whatever you call it) and I hit a roadblock and that kinda sucked.

So today I remembered that i was participating in a tournament before I stopped playing and decided to open the game again and see what price I got.

I got this:

500px-Dr._Death_Gold.png

Highest DMG card in the game and like super duper rare. And coincidentally a useless swamp card which is the deck I'm playing.

I guess anything is possible in the land of Ooo...
Thanks Finn and Jake. You guys are real bros!

Humble Mobile Bundle 10 (Android-only):
https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

PWYW:
Buddy & Me
LYNE
Doodle Kingdom

BTA:
Sorcery! 2
King of Dragon Pass
OTTTD
Sorcery!
The Tiny Bang Story
iPollute

The BTA price is definitely worth it for just KoDP and Sorcery! 2.

Three more games added to the BTA tier. I highly recommend playing through Sorcery! before starting Sorcery! 2, since you can transfer your save (and your decisions) into part 2.

anddo0

Baldur's Gate 2 is tempting at that price. I own the vanilla version on PC (got it from GOG for $2.50).

The game I'm waiting for to go on sale is Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

Horseticuffs

Well, against my better judgement I bought a character in Witcher Battle Arena since I'm having such a good time. I've got almost 400 crowns saved up, and my free character was a warrior type, and I bought a mage type (Which seems WAAAAAY more powerful than my warrior, even at lower level), and I figure I'll use crowns I earn to buy an archer type and then I'll have each class pretty much covered so I always have someone to route my epic and rare loot to.

Seriously a fun game. Runs decent on shitty hardware, too. If anyone here happens to play, I use the same name there as here but I don't think you can search players out or friend them or anything.

Hmm. Do I have to play Baldur Gate 1 to know what going in BG? Now that I think about Baldur 1 and 2 for 15 bucks not bad.

I haven't ever really played them but I hear they are very closely tied in plot. Like to my understanding you will really miss a lot if you just jump in on 2. Your mileage may very, though.

Horseticuffs

I am going to check the Witcher Battle Arena. Most f2p games on mobile devices are extremely well done.
They give you enough crowns at the start to permanently unlock one character. I suggest a mage. I'm the red dressed female mage who's name I forget. I also have the bearded dwarf warrior.

The warrior is cool but I usually get like 6 kills and 4 deaths in a decent game with him. My mage the last game just now I had 18 kills and 2 deaths. There's a huge difference in power, and elite mage gear seems to drop more frequently.

Tak3n

Banned
Hey guys

I need some Simpsons Tapped out friends..... please, if anyone plays would appreciate it

origin id Gideon_Mack

Tak3n

Banned
They give you enough crowns at the start to permanently unlock one character. I suggest a mage. I'm the red dressed female mage who's name I forget. I also have the bearded dwarf warrior.

The warrior is cool but I usually get like 6 kills and 4 deaths in a decent game with him. My mage the last game just now I had 18 kills and 2 deaths. There's a huge difference in power, and elite mage gear seems to drop more frequently.

all I see is free character rotation and I have a hunter, warrior or golem? I guess they do that to keep the balance

Horseticuffs

all I see is free character rotation and I have a hunter, warrior or golem? I guess they do that to keep the balance
You should notice you've got 750 crowns to spend. That's just enough to buy one character. Essentially you're freeing them from the rotation.

KumaJG

I went with Saskia(Warrior). She is so damn strong. I haven't lost a game yet.

BahamutPT

This seems like the best place to leave this, since I can't make a new thread.
Looks like the Ouya won't die anytime soon, at least as a digital service.

Alibaba Breathes New Life Into Game-Console Maker Ouya (WSJ)
Alibaba invested $10 million in the Santa Monica, Calif., company last month, according to people familiar with the matter. The two companies have discussed a plan to incorporate Ouya’s software and library of more than 1,000 games into Alibaba’s set-top box, the people said.

Horseticuffs

Oh DAMN. Well, in Witcher Battle Arena you start your account with crowns to afford one permanent character. I also unlocked a female mage via iAP since I had a lot of fun playing her when she was in the free unlock rotation. Well, my goal was to always have a character each from each class. Since I had a warrior and a mage already just now I finally won enough crowns via winning matches to get an archer for free!

I was going to get the one-eyed dude archer because I liked his design but then I got a legendary belt for the female plant-chick archer that is going to be overpowered as FUCK once I level her enough. As it turns out she has some rad skills too, which is cool.

The loot in this game is really brilliant. You get drops for the class you are playing, of course, but you also get nice rare drops for the other class-types fairly often, as well. Here is the brilliant part though, rarely you'll get a Legendary piece that isn't compatible with a class-type but rather only a specific character. I was all set to get the archer dude when I had enough crowns until I got the legendary piece for the chick and when you compare them to even a Rare piece the difference is pretty astounding. Come to think of it that is the same reason I settled on the female mage instead of the rad dude in the robes and mask, I got some Legendary gloves for her that totally pulled her together.

Seriously, guys, the game is a really good time. This is my first MOBA, and I guess it doesn't have NPC squishies that the genre usually does (I think they're called "Creeps"?) but it is definitely a compelling experience and I don't regret paying for a character. I just think of it like a tip jar.

I also recently bought Warhammer 40k: Carnage when it was on sale for $1. It seems alright. I've only done the tutorial so far.

Really, though, I wanted to remark on Leo's Fortune which I grabbed tonight after reading some posts on Gaf. I'd seen the icon in Play but it looked pretty generically cutesy so I didn't even bother clicking on it. Boy, was I a boob. The controls are very smooth and the game just looks AMAZING, even on old hardware. The game just sort of came out of nowhere for me. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Nintendo's HD efforts graphically.

I can't wait to pick up a new Tablet to load these badboys faster and run them smoother. My OG N7 has served me well but I'm ready to move on. Android gets a bad rap as far as games. I've got a real treasure trove on my tablet just waiting to be opened. I still need to finish Shadow Run, I can't fucking wait to play Banner Saga. Witcher is eating all my free time. Man, it is an awesome time to be a mobile gamer!

omg_mjd

Baldur's Gate II is playable on my phone (6" display) thanks to the font sizing option and the pinch to zoom feature. Not a bad port and there seems to be a huge amount of content (it's my first time playing BG2).

I also got Minecraft. Only thing that seems to be missing is the soundtrack which was lovely on the Vita version but I can just play something in the background so it's no big loss.

Picked up the Warhammer Carnage game for $1 and then Shadowrun DF even though it's not on sale (Android). BGII lures me but I have the disc version and the Steam version and haven't played it yet, so I'm holding off. If it ever goes on sale in the Play store for less I'll likely grab it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Anyone else use Limelight? It's an app that mimics Nvidia GameStream. With my phone locked into the Ipega controller, I basically have a Shield with an OLED screen. Just used it to play Deus Ex: HR and it looked glorious. Had to lower the bitrate to get a smooth 60 fps, but once I found the perfect setting it was smooth and beautiful. Compatibility is pretty solid as well. I went through my library and manually added a bunch of games it didn't automatically detect, and most of them are working perfectly. It uses the Ipega as an xinput device, so game control exactly like they would if I was using a 360 controller. The only games I tried that wouldn't accept it were Sleeping Dogs and Crimzon Clover: World Ignition.

The Humble Cartoon Network Mobile Bundle:
https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

It contains games based on various CN properties, mostly Regular Show and Adventure Time. The BTA tier also includes CN Superstar Soccer, and the $8 tier also includes Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake and Powerpuff Girls: Defenders of Townsville.

awp69

Are they good? I'm a fan of the properties.
Many are pretty good, particularly Power Puff Girls and Monsters, Ate My Birthday Cake.

But most have been $. 99 or free on Amazon so it's not necessarily a good deal unless you want to support charity.

Tak3n

Banned
What is up with the Amazon app not supporting tablets :(

I can find games using the app on my phone (I have 960 points to spend) but as soon as I search on the tablet it does not let me download the app

CronoShot

Really grinds my gears that Final Fantasy VI is listed as not compatible with the Nexus 6, despite being updated for Lollipop. Not to mention FFV and FF Dimensions both work, which I'm sure both run on the exact same engine.

Top Bottom