• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
OriginalThinking said:
Hmmmm. I remember the Desire having this issue a lot and I sorted it for a few customers. *Racks brains as to how I solved it* Try clearing any data in your Gmail app for a start. Through applications under menu that is. Also try changing your Gmail password on your desktop/laptop (you can change it back later) and that will automatically prompt you to sync.

Did the clear data thing. I'll give the resetting my password a try.

PrivateWHudson said:
Did the clear data thing. I'll give the resetting my password a try.

Is your Google account showing sync correctly?

Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync > Select Google account and check everything is ticked correctly.

Changed my password from my desktop

Opened gmail app on phone and was prompted for my new password. Entered it and then sent a test email from my desktop. This did not push to my phone.

Before Password Change:

Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync > Other Accounts (me@gmail.com) > Sync Gmail - Touch to sync now (no tick boxes available)

After Password Change:

Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync > Other Accounts (me@gmail.com) > Sync Gmail - Touch to sync now (no tick boxes available) ! Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly.

PrivateWHudson said:
Changed my password from my desktop

Opened gmail app on phone and was prompted for my new password. Entered it and then sent a test email from my desktop. This did not push to my phone.

Before Password Change:

Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync > Other Accounts (me@gmail.com) > Sync Gmail - Touch to sync now (no tick boxes available)

After Password Change:

Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync > Other Accounts (me@gmail.com) > Sync Gmail - Touch to sync now (no tick boxes available) ! Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly.

Hmmmmm. Have you tried removing your gmail acount from your Touchpad? Just to see if it is the Touchpad that is causing the issues?

echothreealpha said:
Finally broke down and bought an android. However, since I'm still eyeing the Nexus Prime, and it might take 2 months at least to reach Malaysia, I bought a second hand Motorola Defy. Have a few questions though;

1) I managed to scratch the screen in one bloody day. Any way of repairing that?

2) Any tips for a new android owner? :D

How, for godssake, did you scratch the screen that fast?
I'm Defy owner as well since almost one year and I
- dropped my Defy several times on concrete (I'm part time construction worker)
- dropped my Defy into the toilet twice
- dropped my defy into a freaking pool where it sank 2 meters to the floor

and it has no scratches and no damage from the water(s) yet. The only thing is that the speaker got slightly more silent because the membrane closed itself to prevend water damage.

edit: There is now way afaik to repair a Defy screen other than replacing it. is the scratch that bad?

regarding No 2:
You already have Froyo (android 2.2) or still 2.1 Eclair? otherwise update the defy.
play around with the settings. you get way more battery life then(I get easily 3-4 days with moderate use).
If you got any questions regarding your defy, feel free to PM me.

OriginalThinking said:
Hmmmmm. Have you tried removing your gmail acount from your Touchpad? Just to see if it is the Touchpad that is causing the issues?

I didn't even put the two together in my head until I wrote that post. That's the first thing I'll try after I get home from work tonight.

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
have a HTC Inspire, looking for a really good video converter. tried Handbrake but the conversions come out all scrambled.

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
reKon said:
tumblr_lspb9gf8xZ1r4smp9o1_500.jpg

mmmm

HARD!!!

Zapages

Jeff-DSA said:
The best keyboard ever was the Cliq keyboard. I had that before getting my G2. I really, really miss that Cliq keyboard still.

Just get the thumb keyboard. I like the split landscape keyboard or use swipe.

I wonder when we are going to get the updates for Galaxy S2. O would really like to get new one. :)

Zapages

Juice defender seem to not work on Galaxy S2. :( Tells me that it is not rooted, I am not going to go root my device. :(

tino

Banned
WTF Pantech just announce a 4.5" 1280X800 phone?

First of all, I didn't know Pantech is Korean until today.

And what kind of dpi is that? They should call it "Pilot Retina Display."

gblues

Banned
I'm an Android newbie. I have a T-Mo Gravity SMART. It's not a powerhouse, but it suits my needs. My biggest peeve is that the internal storage is anemic, and it seems like everything wants to live there instead of using the SD card with tons of space. It's seriously like the Wii of smartphones, except the Wii is easier to move apps back and forth.

Is there anything I can do? The phone runs Froyo and doesn't have any updates.

Zapages

I was on wifi and all I did was just did test call with my Mother over the load speaker of my Galaxy S2 and tried the camera a bit and Tune In App with some test of Google GPS. My Battery went down from 100% to 84%. Is that normal?

Basically used it for about 30 to 45 minutes at most. Why can I do to better make the battery better on my Galaxy S2? But dropping 16% for this little time. Really bad! I thought Galaxy S2 was suppose to have good battery life.

I had bluetooth off and GPS as well (only turned it on for about 5 minutes or so).

clav

The screen consumes the most power on any smartphone.

With that said, on my WM6.5 phone, I have to keep the wifi, gps, and any background running apps off to have somewhat respectable battery life.

Why are you using wifi?

Ocho

Hey guys! So I'm new to the Android camp. I'm sure this has been asked a BUNCH, but which sites should I add to my RSS to keep up with Android shenanigans (besides Gaf, of course)?

Thanks. :)

Zapages

claviertekky said:
The screen consumes the most power on any smartphone.

With that said, on my WM6.5 phone, I have to keep the wifi, gps, and any background running apps off to have somewhat respectable battery life.

Why are you using wifi?

I am at home... I have brightness on automatic.

I don't think disabling GPS is necessary, it's only active when an app like google Maps is actually using it, isn't it? If it was active, you would see it in the notification bar.

btw, I have either Wlan or 3G/2G etc. active at all times because I e.g. let the email app check for new mails every hour (also dis-and re-enabling 3G is kind of a pain as it doesn't have a simple button in the notification bar). Is there a way to enable network connections only for these checks?

(SGSII)

kehs

Banned
ochobit said:
Hey guys! So I'm new to the Android camp. I'm sure this has been asked a BUNCH, but which sites should I add to my RSS to keep up with Android shenanigans (besides Gaf, of course)?

Added a bunch of links to sites I check often to the OP.

Ill add more if people post them up.

-----

For the SGII guys, try to set as much stuff up as push instead of polling (email, twitter, facebook, etc)

ochobit said:

I'm subscribed to:

Android Central, Talk Android, Droid Life, Android Authority and Android Police.

I've only recently subscribed to them so I don't know which ones are good.

Ocho

Copernicus said:

-----

For the SGII guys, try to set as much stuff up as push instead of polling (email, twitter, facebook, etc)

Thanks! Also, on the SGII, what do you mean by polling instead of push? Where can I find such setting?

Sleeplessnights said:
I'm subscribed to:

Android Central, Talk Android, Droid Life, Android Authority and Android Police.

I've only recently subscribed to them so I don't know which ones are good.

Thanks you!

Zapages

Copernicus said:

-----

Confused what do you mean? Pushing in instead of polling? Confused? I am new to android as well.

PS: I have my data manager...

Pctx

Banned
Jtwo said:
Yeah wifi tethering is possible on android. How you go about it can vary though. It also depends on carrier. In think there are only a few carrier/software/hardware combos that allow you to do it out of the box no extra charge, but if you root you can absolutely do it.

are you paying for tethering with your iphone right now? Or using a workaround?
Easy Tether Pro is $9.99 on the market and does WPA2 tethering to your devices. Just make sure you've got an unlimited plan. ;)

kehs

Banned
Zapages said:
Confused what do you mean? Pushing in instead of polling? Confused? I am new to android as well.

PS: I have my data manager...

Your email for example. Through the gmail app anytime you have a new email, gmail will push the email and notify you of that email.

If you use the default email app for you email account, and it's set up to polling, the app will check every 15/30/60 minutes for emails. (IMAP and/or POP)

The latter takes alot more power to do. The same concept applies for any application/service that fetches data from a server.

Hotmail, supports push through activesync and their own app. Yahoo supports push through their own app. Gmail is push through their own app.

If you have to use IMAP / POP for your emails set the polling intervals higher, if you don't NEED to have constant updates for the email.

Sapiens

SzJbT.jpg

This image kind of reminds me of a maxipad commercial. The blue "water", the curve. Get ready for a "BIG" period.

Looks like a sweet phone though. Just not sure about the marketing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Bahaha, now that you mention it you're totally right.

Mrbob

So a little embarrassing to admit I'm still rocking a Tracfone because I hate being stuck in any contract. I'll only roll contract free. Now I see T Mobile and Wal Mart are offering a 30 dollar plan per month for unlimited web, text, with 100 minutes. This works perfect for me as I'd use the phone more for internet and texting. 100 minutes is fine.

I've been reading online I can basically use any "compatible" phone.
UPDATE: For those of you curious about this plan and which devices can be used with it, T-Mobile has told our pals at TmoNews that any "capable" handset can be paired with the new prepaid plan. This means you should be able to use just about any handset you can get your paws on, from a basic flip phone up to the forthcoming Galaxy S II. That said, T-Mobile and Walmart will be offering six specific devices alongside the new plan: Nokia 1616, LG GS170, T-Mobile Sparq, Samsung Dart, and Nokia X2. This doesn't mean that only these six devices can be used with the $30 plan, just that they're the ones that have been chosen to be marketed with it.

This means buying one from Tmobile? So I could go buy the Galaxy S 2 or the upcoming Nexus and grab this plan? I suppose it won't be cheap without a contract to get either one. Although I read a pre paid version of the Galaxy S is incoming with this new deal, but I'm guessing it will be stripped down? Tmobile is currently selling refurbished Galaxy S models for pre paid on their web site for 349. I don't know if I could stomach spending 800 bucks on a phone!

Also, what about the Motorola Triumph? I see that one is about 300 bucks, and is decently rated. Virgin Mobile has a plan for 35 bucks a month.

SyNapSe

OriginalThinking said:
The Gaf Android circle on Google + has been shared. For those I've added/asked about it, check your streams!

How do I join? I got my first Android phone a month or two ago (Samsung Infuse). My company switched carriers and I was able to pick any phone I wanted. I wish the Galaxy SII had been out but I had to decide then. We had 30 days to return if needed and I wasn't 100% sure about the Infuse. It was so huge in my hand in the store. The 4" phones seemed to fit way better but after having it for a while I wouldn't trade the screen size in for anything lol. It's thin and light enough that it fits in my pocket just as easy as the iphone did.

I got semi-brave the other day and rooted the phone and started using Go Launcher. I have some minor gripes with Go but I love having 5 dock icons and being able to expand to 6 x 4 icon rows. It lets me fit in a lot more of the widgets.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I need help finding some sort of AirVideo (iOS) like streaming video app for my GSII. Any good apps that have that functionality?

Wrestlemania said:
What are the hardware changes to the Nexus Prime likely to be?

It's the first in Samsung's new 'transformation' models. You can roll it up and use it to swat flies using the ultra flexible construction materials.

Those dock icons look absolutely horrendous. Every single one with a different style, as if from separate icon sets. Where the hell is the UI unification and consistency? It's visually jarring. Then out of nowhere, when their visual cues are are all hard edges and angles, which is fine and defines android now, you have that circular icon for the application drawer that looks ripped from windows 7 phones.

1.The phone icon is blue and has a weird 3d/bezelled effect. No consistency with the 3 other icons.
2. The contacts icon is just needlessly complex and features a face with only a mouth,
3. Messages icon is green, clashing with the blue theme, and has a face with eyes and different style of mouth
4. Internet icon just seems off, and again, needlessly complex.

Everything is just jarring and doesn't combine into a holistic screen, without even the most basic level of consistency between styles, colors, shapes, sizes, etc. When you step back, it looks ridiculous. I wanted to see if I was alone on this, but have visited android fan sites and there's many people with similar comments.

kehs

Banned
Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Those dock icons look absolutely horrendous. Every single one with a different style, as if from separate icon sets. Where the hell is the UI unification and consistency? It's visually jarring. Then out of nowhere, when their visual cues are are all hard edges and angles, which is fine and defines android now, you have that circular icon for the application drawer that looks ripped from windows 7 phones.

1.The phone icon is blue and has a weird 3d/bezelled effect. No consistency with the 3 other icons.
2. The contacts icon is just needlessly complex and features a face with only a mouth,
3. Messages icon is green, clashing with the blue theme, and has a face with eyes and different style of mouth
4. Internet icon just seems off, and again, needlessly complex.

Everything is just jarring and doesn't combine into a holistic screen, without even the most basic level of consistency between styles, colors, shapes, sizes, etc. When you step back, it looks ridiculous. I wanted to see if I was alone on this, but have visited android fan sites and there's many people with similar comments.

Icons are hideous, they always have been on Android. Luckily I spend time inside of apps and not in the launcher.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Why are people so concerned about the icons? If it bugs you that much, install a launcher and change the icons. *shrugs* :/

GK86 said:
Why are people so concerned about the icons? If it bugs you that much, install a launcher and change the icons. *shrugs* :/

I'd be annoyed if the launcher looked ugly but I think this is a bit of an over reaction. A circle and a couple of icons really aren't that bad. Though I would point out:

a) We don't know if this is the finished launcher. The video of the launcher on the Nexus S was a hell of a lot uglier and was clearly unfinished. The leaked music apk still has the old fashioned music widget for example and I'd expect that to change.

b) We don't know that these are the final icons either.

I'm waiting til I actually see an official release and not deliberately leaked early versions of ICS before making any final judgement.

Al-ibn Kermit

Miri said:
I really do see Sprint not offering this until they're ready to offer LTE--which, according to their rollout plans, is said to be towards the middle of next year. :( How did it take them to get the Nexus S?

E: Just looked it up. It took them 5~6 months. If the trend proves true, us Sprint people may be in for a wait.

It would be worth the wait if it means that Sprint's Nexus3 can roam on Verizon's LTE network.

That's a big "if" though.

kehs

Banned
Android central wrote about an article about the T-Mobile theme chooser:

http://www.androidcentral.com/t-mobile-theme-chooser-primer

I've mentioned it a couple of times, but never got the motivation to go in depth on it. They just saved me the trouble. (The theme engine was developed by T-Mobile and made open source. It's included with every Cyanogenmod versions as of 6.5 I think, so it's not exclusive to T-Mobile phones).

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
PrivateWHudson said:
How low?

Here's what it's showing right now:

Application Storage
Available space
1.08GB

Internal Storage
Available space
9.29GB

lol don't believe the storage space. I still have 129mb free on my internal storage but the OS automatically blocks any sync if it drops below 120mb thinking it's running out of space.

Mrbob said:
So a little embarrassing to admit I'm still rocking a Tracfone because I hate being stuck in any contract. I'll only roll contract free. Now I see T Mobile and Wal Mart are offering a 30 dollar plan per month for unlimited web, text, with 100 minutes. This works perfect for me as I'd use the phone more for internet and texting. 100 minutes is fine.

I've been reading online I can basically use any "compatible" phone.

This means buying one from Tmobile? So I could go buy the Galaxy S 2 or the upcoming Nexus and grab this plan? I suppose it won't be cheap without a contract to get either one. Although I read a pre paid version of the Galaxy S is incoming with this new deal, but I'm guessing it will be stripped down? Tmobile is currently selling refurbished Galaxy S models for pre paid on their web site for 349. I don't know if I could stomach spending 800 bucks on a phone!

Also, what about the Motorola Triumph? I see that one is about 300 bucks, and is decently rated. Virgin Mobile has a plan for 35 bucks a month.
well, you get faster internet speeds with T-Mobile, but more minutes with Virgin Mobile. the Galaxy S 4G is better than the Truimph, in just about all areas but one, the Triumph has HDMI out!

jobber said:
lol don't believe the storage space. I still have 129mb free on my internal storage but the OS automatically blocks any sync if it drops below 120mb thinking it's running out of space.

I Just figured it out!!!

Switch Pro has an auto-sync button that I must have switched to "off" while first setting up the widget. However, I dropped that switch for something else (maybe bluetooth) so I couldn't see that it was in the off position. Fucker has been cock blocking me the whole time.

Copernicus said:
As a tribute to Steve Jobs I hope they do the announcement/release simultaneously.

Still think it's a bit odd. Not the right time to reveal a new product? I don't see Apple delaying the new iPhone out of respect. I know Google has a 'don't be evil' philosophy but c'mon...I mean maybe they were worried that his death would grab too many column inches and prevent the new Nexus from getting coverage but this is like a week after he passed. Don't think the release will be delayed however, just the announcement.

kehs

Banned
OriginalThinking said:
Still think it's a bit odd. Not the right time to reveal a new product? I don't see Apple delaying the new iPhone out of respect. I know Google has a 'don't be evil' philosophy but c'mon...I mean maybe they were worried that his death would grab too many column inches and prevent the new Nexus from getting coverage but this is like a week after he passed. Don't think the release will be delayed however, just the announcement.

Alot of the people responsible for android worked with/under Jobs directly. I could see them allowing this week and next to be "Jobs" time so to speak.

Agree about the actual release though, I think it's just the announcement.

OriginalThinking said:

I don't mean to say their motives are purely business but it's probably not a good time to announce a flagship Android phone when everyone is Apple-crazy.

Cudder

OriginalThinking said:
Why would Apple delay their new phone because of Jobs' passing? If anything, Steve would've wanted the phone to come out when it was supposed to.

And I agree with you about Samsung delaying their announcement. I could understand if it was supposed to be the day after SJ passed, but a full week seems reasonable. Just do a little tribute to him in your conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom