• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pctx

Banned
Jtwo said:
Bahaha, I was considering not even making it since we now have this thread. But ill cook something up, I bet well know every detail about the phone by the time the conference happens.
We better!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Is there anything expected after the nexus prime within the next month or two? Or is it going to be the phone to have with android 4.0 for a good while?

I'm thinking of jumping over to an android setup since I would love to ditch iTunes, So i'm just waiting for a good phone with the latest tech.

Ephemeris

I know. Just flaunting it.

android-troll.jpg

wario

evlcookie said:
Is there anything expected after the nexus prime within the next month or two? Or is it going to be the phone to have with android 4.0 for a good while?

in terms of hardware specs there are already phones coming out that are comparable to the nexus prime. 720p screen with dual core 1.2 - 1.5 ghz will be standard affair for high-end devices.

as for android 4.0, it'll probably take a month or two after the source code releases before manufacturers make phones with ICS.

Cipherr

evlcookie said:

I'm thinking of jumping over to an android setup since I would love to ditch iTunes, So i'm just waiting for a good phone with the latest tech.

Like Wario said, there will be phones with similar specs, but the hardware manufacturers will need time after ICS is released to modify it and add their own 'style' to it. HTC with their Touchsense, and the others. Once they modify ICS to their liking, they will release their phones with 4.0 on them, and begin pushing updates to their older phones.

It'll be a little while, month or two probably.

gcubed

Jtwo said:
Haha, no worries. Ill make it when it gets reannounced.
Speaking of which, I just got your chord. I think it was you, either you or gcubed sent me a chord. The new g+ app is nice, maybe ill actually use it a bit more now.

just so we are all on the same page "chord" is horrendous and hopefully just a placeholder?

zoku88

DrFunk said:
Who said a GSM version would have att/t-mo bands?

Colbert-ICALLEDIT.gif

Who said it's probably gonna be sold unlocked?

Colbert-ICALLEDIT.gif

Who loves ya baby?

Colbert-ICALLEDIT.gif
I'm so confused, what prompted this?

Was there another new leak/rumor?
gcubed said:
just so we are all on the same page "chord" is horrendous and hopefully just a placeholder?
Chord is an excellent name. Like three or more musicians playing different notes. Get it? Group messasing...chord?

It's not that great of a name...

gcubed

zoku88 said:

Chord is an excellent name. Like three or more musicians playing different notes. Get it? Group messasing...chord?

the GSM version with ATT bands passed through the FCC today

kehs

Banned
zoku88 said:

FCC filling popped up showing CDMA and T-Mo/At&t compatability.

gcubed

for some reason i have an unhealthy urge to buy a GoogleTV box, i've been waiting for an ARM box to release, but i havent heard a thing about any new boxes besides the revue. Not sure how i feel about the atom chip in it.

zoku88

Oh wow, I saw that and it didn't even register in my mind.

Means I can keep my EMP plan with T-mo then, if I do decided to upgrade. Although, my G2X is fine (even though I can't mount using the USB from a computer...)

kehs

Banned
gcubed said:
for some reason i have an unhealthy urge to buy a GoogleTV box, i've been waiting for an ARM box to release, but i havent heard a thing about any new boxes besides the revue. Not sure how i feel about the atom chip in it.

During I/O they talked about devices changing "modes" depending on docks/attached devices/etc.

I'm hoping they have a tv dock with hdmi, that will turn the Prime into a Google TV.

zoku88 said:
Oh wow, I saw that and it didn't even register in my mind.

Means I can keep my EMP plan with T-mo then, if I do decided to upgrade. Although, my G2X is fine (even though I can't mount using the USB from a computer...)
you installed the LG G2x drivers?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
gcubed said:
the new google plus app is miles and miles better then whats out now, bravo google

What's different? Is this the leaked version from the Prime or a newly released on?

gcubed

Andrex said:
What's different? Is this the leaked version from the Prime or a newly released on?

leaked version, all the pictures show the differences, its so much cleaner, more functional.

zoku88

The Faceless Master said:
you installed the LG G2x drivers?
OS independent.

I mostly use Linux. Sometimes use Windows. Used to work for both of them. Now works for neither, it seems.

zoku88 said:
OS independent.

I mostly use Linux. Sometimes use Windows. Used to work for both of them. Now works for neither, it seems.

My dad's p-999 (g2x) mounts flawlessly in ubuntu while some windows machines give trouble in that regard.

Alternatively, install clockwork recovery, and use the mount usb from there.

zoku88

TouchMyBox said:
My dad's p-999 (g2x) mounts flawlessly in ubuntu while some windows machines give trouble in that regard.

Alternatively, install clockwork recovery, and use the mount usb from there.
Can't. I've mounted it before. I just can't anymore.

I think, maybe, something went wrong with the HW... I've tried different roms and tried to usb mount from the recovery.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
I will be available for an upgrade here from Verizon in the next couple months and I am looking at one of the Droid phones but I am really intimidated by all the features. I am upgrading from a Blackberry Bold and one of the most important things I'm looking for is gmail integration and all it's features. Is the Droid the best route for me to take or could I take the iphone route? I'm kind of oblivious to the differences between these two.

zoku88

have you tried re-flashing the rom?
Yup.

Does recovery depend on the ROM/kernel you have installed? I don't think it does, right? I'm thinking, if recovery doesn't work, then nothing would.

EDIT: I mean, mounting in recovery.

daoster

Guts Of Thor said:
I will be available for an upgrade here from Verizon in the next couple months and I am looking at one of the Droid phones but I am really intimidated by all the features. I am upgrading from a Blackberry Bold and one of the most important things I'm looking for is gmail integration and all it's features. Is the Droid the best route for me to take or could I take the iphone route? I'm kind of oblivious to the differences between these two.
If you're looking for gmail integration...you can't do much better than an Android phone

zoku88 said:
Yup.

Does recovery depend on the ROM/kernel you have installed? I don't think it does, right? I'm thinking, if recovery doesn't work, then nothing would.

EDIT: I mean, mounting in recovery.
if mounting in recovery doesn't work, then i have no clue and would guess that it's a hardware issue of some sort...

zoku88

if mounting in recovery doesn't work, then i have no clue and would guess that it's a hardware issue of some sort...
That's what I thought. Anyway, I'm waiting to see if this Nexus Prime is much better than the G2x.

If it isn't, I guess I'll have to ship this phone off and wait for a replacement, while being phoneless. (or maybe they'll just replace it in-store?)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to ween myself off the hardware keyboard. Man, the droids touch sensor sucks.

AndyD

aka andydumi
OriginalThinking said:
Right I've got JTwo, Copernicus and Simelquir in a special Android Gaf circle. Gcubed, who the hell are you?

Can you share your google GAF circle?

I am at my wifes family reunion...can't tell you how invaluable this thread has been lol...loving all this Prime news...one question though.

Is the prime that different from the gs2 aside from the screen? I mean is this thing gonna scream?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok mobile gaf is getting funkadelic.

pubba

Can anyone help an android newbie out?

I went from 'cheapest prepaid phone available' to iPhone 3 about 2 years ago, and I'm a smart phone convert now.

One of the main selling points for staying with iPhone (I'm now using iPhone 4) is the personal hotspot functionality. My iPad is wifi only, so when I'm out and about I tether it to my iPhone for net access.

Now that I have an iPad, I rarely play games on my iPhone (which was another huge selling point). I occasionally play a simple puzzle game but that's about it..

Is the sexy nexus bendy phone on the first page the latest/greatest android must-have phone? Will it allow me to link up with my iPad for net access?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom