• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeleSocho

Banned
Zapages said:
Juice defender seem to not work on Galaxy S2. :( Tells me that it is not rooted, I am not going to go root my device. :(
never understood this... root an android phone isn't even remotely hard as the jailbreak of the iphone
When i've done the root to mine i said literally "WTF?! and that's it?"

Cudder said:
Why would Apple delay their new phone because of Jobs' passing?

Precisely my point. I wouldn't think Apple would delay the release of a new iPhone if Bill Gates passed away. I understand Google are the competition but announcing a new phone a week after his death is hardly a slight on Steve Jobs is it? I wonder if this is in part at least a bit of the both. Gives Google more breathing space to bug crush/polish ICS a little further pre-reveal and also show some respect.

Cipherr

GK86 said:
Why are people so concerned about the icons? If it bugs you that much, install a launcher and change the icons. *shrugs* :/

On the contrary, I think thats why the majority of the people arent talking about it. The icons don't bother me, but if they did...

I would change them.....

This isn't an OS where you are stuck with what the manufacturer ships, Its like being dissatisfied with the default ringtone. Thats one of its primary strengths. You can do whatever the hell you want. Make you own icons for crying out loud.

OriginalThinking said:
Precisely my point. I wouldn't think Apple would delay the release of a new iPhone if Bill Gates passed away. I understand Google are the competition but announcing a new phone a week after his death is hardly a slight on Steve Jobs is it? I wonder if this is in part at least a bit of the both. Gives Google more breathing space to bug crush/polish ICS a little further pre-reveal and also show some respect.

I dont think its impossible that they want some more time to work on things, who knows.

Cipherr said:
I dont think its impossible that they want some more time to work on things, who knows.

Absolutely. Either that or the reveal was going to be preceded by Samsung and Google reps beating a Steve Jobs piñata for half an hour. Under the circumstances....

Ninja Kn1ght said:
I don't mean to say their motives are purely business but it's probably not a good time to announce a flagship Android phone when everyone is Apple-crazy.

Yeah but Google had set up this for the day before the release of the iPhone 4s and a week after their conference. It was always going to be Apple crazy in the media so close to the new iPhone reveal. If you want to steal some thunder the timing was pretty much perfect. Like I said I think this is 50/50. Part moral reasons, part 'this gives us more time anyway'.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This week's TIMin podcast really made me want assistant mode. Well, if it works of course. They just brought up the point that if things really are that simple to add to a calendar or reminder list that you'd probably end up using a lot more than you expect. I always wish to set reminders for myself or calendar events but I Just never do because its such a pain.

Hopefully it will just come to OSX so I can plug it into Gcal or something.

Sky Chief

OriginalThinking said:
Yeah but Google had set up this for the day before the release of the iPhone 4s and a week after their conference. It was always going to be Apple crazy in the media so close to the new iPhone reveal. If you want to steal some thunder the timing was pretty much perfect. Like I said I think this is 50/50. Part moral reasons, part 'this gives us more time anyway'.

I think that ICS wasn't ready and they were going to postpone all along. Release some controlled leaks the day of the iPhone 4S reveal and the day after to prove that the phone exists and is sexy and then postpone the official reveal. Nobody would begrudge Google and Samsung revealing their phone on Tuesday, I just think it isn't ready.

I can only imagine the delay is down to Google wanting to fine-tune ICS, or possibly add one or two features to it (more voice commands in response to Sirius). Hardware seems to be out in the wild so I really can't see them going back to the drawing board now.

Either way, I want the floodgates to open and bring with it more higher res SAMOLED screens. My eyes (and body) are ready.

LeleSocho said:
never understood this... root an android phone isn't even remotely hard as the jailbreak of the iphone
well, that depends on which jailbreak vs which root!

Right guys, had my Galaxy S 2 for a few Weeks now. Already rooted 3 separate Android devices in the past but the method has always been different.

Anyone point me to the best guide to getting a prerouted version of the .recently leaked 2.3.5 update onto a stock handset? I want to stick with something that's mostly stock and preferably not have to reinstall everything again but if I have to ird not the end of the world.

sneaky77

OriginalThinking said:

did they delay the phone or did they just delay the announcement?

alternade

This whole delay has really put a dent in my plans. If the phone is going to be released on sprint i have only until the end of the month to cancel my conract and go to them. Do you think it will be announced/released before november?

Sky Chief

sneaky77 said:
did they delay the phone or did they just delay the announcement?

They delayed the announcement. Because the phone has not been announced we have no idea if the phone has been delayed or not because no official release has been announced.

Al-ibn Kermit

alternade said:
This whole delay has really put a dent in my plans. If the phone is going to be released on sprint i have only until the end of the month to cancel my conract and go to them. Do you think it will be announced/released before november?

It probably will be released in early November, it may not come to Sprint until early next year though. I'm not sure Sprint wants a new nexus phone unless it comes with an LTE radio. Part of the draw of these phones is that they're more future-proof.

clav

LeleSocho said:
:lol

You've never rooted an Android G1 phone.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
NaM said:
What are you looking for?

Anything useful and interesting really. Better music player, camcorder program, stuff for watching streams, etc.

I'm pretty much running default stuff on my T-mobile Galaxy S.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Kadey said:
Anything useful and interesting really. Better music player, camcorder program, stuff for watching streams, etc.

I'm pretty much running default stuff on my T-mobile Galaxy S.
A very very very useful widget I can recommend is SwitchPro, check it out. I really like the default music player but PowerAmp has more features like playback of folders and .cue files. As for the rest I have no idea, maybe someone else can help you out.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Thanks. How does one go about putting apps on your phone anyway. Is it via the phone's internet or can you do it via PC somehow?

W1SSY

Kadey said:
Thanks. How does one go about putting apps on your phone anyway. Is it via the phone's internet or can you do it via PC somehow?
Use the android market or you can use the market on your pc and it will download it onto your phone using magic
not really magic
. Both ways still use the internet on your phone.

Zapages

Copernicus said:
Your email for example. Through the gmail app anytime you have a new email, gmail will push the email and notify you of that email.

If you use the default email app for you email account, and it's set up to polling, the app will check every 15/30/60 minutes for emails. (IMAP and/or POP)

The latter takes alot more power to do. The same concept applies for any application/service that fetches data from a server.

Hotmail, supports push through activesync and their own app. Yahoo supports push through their own app. Gmail is push through their own app.

If you have to use IMAP / POP for your emails set the polling intervals higher, if you don't NEED to have constant updates for the email.

Thank you for the explanation. How do I do this though? I just have a Gmail app.

So I've upgraded, rooted (which couldn't have been simpler) and decided to install Chainfire3D Pro and now I can force 4xmsaa in all of my 3D games for perfect image quality yet Air Attack HD still runs at a perfect 60fps.

This is the reason I love Android, good luck doing anything like that on an iPhone.

Zapages

I have noticed words with friends kills my battery... It went from 77% to 64% in about 15 minutes of gameplay. :( Why?

Also if I have my wifi on. It kills the battery like anything. Every 10 to 15 minutes = 1 % of my battery. WTF! :(

rc213

Kadey said:
Anybody know any awesome free games?

Birzzle
Coin Drop
Hanging With Friends
Super Stickman Golf
Cordy

Make sure you have the Amazon AppStore, They put up one app or game for free everyday. Today's game is Early Bird, Grab that.

kehs

Banned
Zapages said:
Thank you for the explanation. How do I do this though? I just have a Gmail app.

If you're using the gmail app, you're good. If you're using the email app it should be under each accounts settings. Just keep an eye out for other apps in their settings.

Zapages

Copernicus said:
If you're using the gmail app, you're good. If you're using the email app it should be under each accounts settings. Just keep an eye out for other apps in their settings.
Thanks that is good to hear.

How do these screen shots seem for the battery life of galaxy s2

24eyvk8.jpg

And

192ohx.jpg

PS: I was posting from Galaxy S2.

I guess I should post this again...besides the design and the screen why are we all so excited about the Prime? The specs read lower than a GS2, right? That phone came out 6 months ago.

I want to be wrong, but 5mp camera? and only a 1.2ghz cpu? I wish we were talking about the GSM Arena specs but I guess they turned out to be wrong? Maybe its just ice cream sandwich.

vDaedalus

@Zapages: Hmmm... I dunno. After 14 hrs I'm at about 43%. Our stats are a little different though.

Also, thanks to sooperkool I haz Google Music invites to give. PM if you'd like one. :)

BootlegSnackz said:
I guess I should post this again...besides the design and the screen why are we all so excited about the Prime? The specs read lower than a GS2, right? That phone came out 6to months ago.

I want to be wrong, but 5mp camera? and only a 1.2ghz cpu? I wish we were talking about the GSM Arena specs but I guess they turned out to be wrong? Maybe its just ice cream sandwich.
STOCK. Despite me not getting one, that is why I care.

VanWinkle

BootlegSnackz said:
I guess I should post this again...besides the design and the screen why are we all so excited about the Prime? The specs read lower than a GS2, right? That phone came out 6to months ago.

Those specs were rumors, and most likely the camera and cpu specs there were wrong.

We're excited about the design, screen (1280x720 AMOLED), ICS, pure Google experience phone, and will always get updates as soon as Google is ready to send them out.

Sky Chief

BootlegSnackz said:

Well we still don't know the specs for sure but yes, the most exciting features are the screen and ICS (and the promise of fast future updates).

Zapages

vDaedalus said:
@Zapages: Hmmm... I dunno. After 14 hrs I'm at about 43%. Our stats are a little different though.

Also, thanks to sooperkool I haz Google Music invites to give. PM if you'd like one. :)

That is what I am expecting to see. I don't know what I am doing wrong. What are your settings for the Galaxy S2 and what apps are you running. Also, I have the one from AT&T with stock 2.3.3 (I think the one that came with Galaxy S2).

vDaedalus

Zapages said:
That is what I am expecting to see. I don't know what I am doing wrong. What are your settings for the Galaxy S2 and what apps are you running. Also, I have the one from AT&T with stock 2.3.3 (I think the one that came with Galaxy S2).

Since I just got it, my phone is not rooted right now. For settings and whatnot I have the brightness set to a certain amount (not the max) to try and consume less power but the display still uses a lot. Animations are set to "some animations" instead of "all" and my screen mode is set to "standard". Also, I was experimenting with the touch key light duration and currently have it set to "always off".

Obviously, you're also gonna want to set your auto updates like weather/twitter to longer intervals as well. I imagine that battery life will also improve when custom ROMS are released with ICS.

My phone reads:

Android OS: 44%
Display: 29%
Android System: 9%

and so on. Very light game/internet use. Hope this helps some.

Circle T

Zapages said:
The US carrier GSIIs have 2.3.4 as the shipping version currently, as that is the version which enabled GTalk video chat.

Flambe

Well I got on Telus's platinum perks so I'm going to have a free upgrade of my phone (currently a Motorola Milestone).

I haven't been really keeping up with Droid phones, but I'm thinking the Samsung Galaxy SII-X (Hercules) when it comes out. Are there any better options coming very soon?

Zapages

vDaedalus said:
Since I just got it, my phone is not rooted right now. For settings and whatnot I have the brightness set to a certain amount (not the max) to try and consume less power but the display still uses a lot. Animations are set to "some animations" instead of "all" and my screen mode is set to "standard". Also, I was experimenting with the touch key light duration and currently have it set to "always off".

Obviously, you're also gonna want to set your auto updates like weather/twitter to longer intervals as well. I imagine that battery life will also improve when custom ROMS are released with ICS.

My phone reads:

Android OS: 44%
Display: 29%
Android System: 9%

and so on. Very light game/internet use. Hope this helps some.

Thank you,

I just checked. I have android version 2.3.4. I should not be getting these power troubles. This is weird. :(

I just changed my animation setting to some now. I have static black image with blue thing on it as my background. Nothing too much either. I just used wifi a bit and that's about it.

One battery monitor and data monitor apps.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I more than anyone am incredibly please with the gaf android community. Were hilariously weird, and I love the feeling of closeness. Should we create a thread on the community forum so we can really just let our personalities clash and keep this thread for from alienating the masses? Just a Q.

Pctx

Banned
Jtwo said:
I more than anyone am incredibly please with the gaf android community. Were hilariously weird, and I love the feeling of closeness. Should we create a thread on the community forum so we can really just let our personalities clash and keep this thread for from alienating the masses? Just a Q.
While i dont personally object i know others might of which i say we have a duel.

zedge

Flambe said:
Well I got on Telus's platinum perks so I'm going to have a free upgrade of my phone (currently a Motorola Milestone).

I haven't been really keeping up with Droid phones, but I'm thinking the Samsung Galaxy SII-X (Hercules) when it comes out. Are there any better options coming very soon?

Nexus Prime? We don't know when it will release though, especially outside of the US. You can't go wrong with a GS2 though, it is hands down the best Android phone you can get right now, period. That will not change for a while.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:

There's this one troll roaming around though, dude's kinda annoying, TBH.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
i actually dont want a community board thread, because id never post in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom