• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

rozay

Banned
BootlegSnackz said:
I guess I should post this again...besides the design and the screen why are we all so excited about the Prime? The specs read lower than a GS2, right? That phone came out 6 months ago.

I want to be wrong, but 5mp camera? and only a 1.2ghz cpu? I wish we were talking about the GSM Arena specs but I guess they turned out to be wrong? Maybe its just ice cream sandwich.
The specs are not lower than a GS2 in any way. If this ends up using the OMAP processor with an SGX540 it'll be clocked higher than the ones in older phones and should do a lot better towards games. Why is a 5MP camera a downside? Unless google puts some effort into the camera drivers this time, it's going to be mediocre whether its a 5 or 8MP camera, unless I'm wrong and HTC/samsung have been in charge of the camera drivers for their respective nexus phones. From what I remember, the Desire and Galaxy S both outdid their respective nexus cousins in the camera department.

thespot84 said:
i think it's your avatar
He took that picture with his nexus one.

Jeff-DSA

I'm pretty sure you weirdos would freak me out in a community thread, but I'm sure I wouldn't be able to look away all the same.

Kwixotik

Alright, so I'm all set to upgrade to a GSII on Wednesday. However, I'm going to be going to Europe for 90 days from Feb. to May. If I ask AT&T to unlock my phone during this period will they pull $300+ cancellation fees on me even though I'm switching back to their plan after my study abroad trip?

After always having an Iphone, when they announce the 4s instead of 5, I decide to give the android phones a chance...and soo far I'm so glad I did. Been having fun learning the platform and downloading apps.

thanks for the heads up on the daily free app from amazon!

rozay said:
The specs are not lower than a GS2 in any way. If this ends up using the OMAP processor with an SGX540 it'll be clocked higher than the ones in older phones and should do a lot better towards games. Why is a 5MP camera a downside? Unless google puts some effort into the camera drivers this time, it's going to be mediocre whether its a 5 or 8MP camera, unless I'm wrong and HTC/samsung have been in charge of the camera drivers for their respective nexus phones. From what I remember, the Desire and Galaxy S both outdid their respective nexus cousins in the camera department.

He took that picture with his nexus one.
The GPU is worse, especially when you consider it has to power a 720p screen. Actual real world gaming performance its going to be lower than most midrange Android handsets. That's just reality when your using such a high resolution and the same GPU as 18 month old handsets, increasing clocks can only get you so far.

Al-ibn Kermit

brain_stew said:
The GPU is worse, especially when you consider it has to power a 720p screen. Actual real world gaming performance its going to be lower than most midrange Android handsets. That's just reality when your using such a high resolution and the same GPU as 18 month old handsets, increasing clocks can only get you so far.

Isn't it the same GPU that's in the iPhone 4S/iPad2?

nib95

Banned
brain_stew said:
Are the specs confirmed yet or is this just a theory?

kinggroin

Banned
nib95 said:
Are the specs confirmed yet or is this just a theory?

Nothing is confirmed. However, IF its an sgx540, we're talking about a gpu that's a smidgen faster than what's in the iphone 4, trying to render games at a much higher resolution. Performance in 3d intensive games will suffer.

Now here's a question I have. Are the tegra 2 socs used in our honeycomb tablets, faster or slower than this rumoured power vr soluion? Because if its the later, there's really nothing to be concerned about with respects to gaming. At 720p, the tegra 2 handles complex visuals fairly well with standouts like riptide, sprinkle and some other tegra zone titles looking down right spectacular.

Yoshiya

kinggroin said:
Now here's a question I have. Are the tegra 2 socs used in our honeycomb tablets, faster or slower than this rumoured power vr soluion? Because if its the later, there's really nothing to be concerned about with respects to gaming. At 720p, the tegra 2 handles complex visuals fairly well with standouts like riptide, sprinkle and some other tegra zone titles looking down right spectacular.
An overclocked 540 would be faster than Tegra 2 and a good deal faster than the A4, iirc.

Yoshiya said:
An overclocked 540 would be faster than Tegra 2 and a good deal faster than the A4, iirc.
Indeed it is. Should be a good bit faster than Teg2 tablets though theta not a particularly high benchmark.

Cipherr said:
Theory, we don't have final specs yet, just a ton of different lists with wildly different specs that are all rumors.
Its more than just a theory. There's only a certain amount of possible SOC candidates and honestly, they're all a bit underpowered in the GPU front for something sporting a 720p display.

We're taking about ~3-5x slower real world gaming performance than the iphone 4s.

hey people.

remember the LG Optimus 3D?

it uses an OMAP4430 @1GHz and SGX540 @300MHz

compare that performance to the 1GHz Tegra 2 w/GeForce ULP in the LG Optimus 2x and Samsung Galaxy Tab

LCZjg.gif

also, remember that with Chainfire 3D, many Tegra Zone apps ran full speed on a year plus Samsung Galaxy S 1! that was with the SGX540 @ like 200MHz!

but hey, it doesn't really matter anyway. unless the iPhone 4S GPU is somehow gimped or severely underclocked compared the iPad 2 version, it sinks all your battleships.

Cipherr

brain_stew said:
Its more than just a theory. There's only a certain amount of possible SOC candidates and honestly, they're all a bit underpowered in the GPU front for something sporting a 720p display.

We're taking about ~3-5x slower real world gaming performance than the iphone 4s.

Last I checked because of a huge delay we werent even sure if it was going to be OMAP or Exynos in the bloody phone. Clock speeds are rumored to be between 1.2 and 1.5. Its all over the place man. At least get the clocks first, without that it really is just theory.

Edit: Im not talking about performance in relation to the iPhone 4s either, just in general, we know next to nothing really. GPU performance is all but guaranteed to be below the iPhone 4s just due to the resolution alone more than likely.

Yoshiya

Tegra 2 really was a poor showing from Nvidia. Doesn't bode well for Kal-El, if we ever see it. Quad A9 at 40nm has always seemed pretty idiotic, bring on dual A15 at 28nm (with PowerVR Rogue of course).

rozay

Banned
I'm not even bothering with the spec rumors, remember when it was confirmed that the nexus S had a dual core processor?

Have faith in google&samsung. It's been 6 months since the S2 came out, they're not going to put out a phone that performs worse than that.

I think that the smart money is on an omap series 4, probably 4460, in which case we can expect an sgx540 clocked at 384mhz, so coupled with the increase in cpu clocks it should deliver something a bit faster than Tegra2, but lagging behind mali and way behind A5.

Roll on the new exynos chip, would be interesting to see what samsung have used (though I fear its many months away from mass market).

kinggroin said:
Nothing is confirmed. However, IF its an sgx540, we're talking about a gpu that's a smidgen faster than what's in the iphone 4, trying to render games at a much higher resolution. Performance in 3d intensive games will suffer.

Well once you factor in the higher clocks we're talking about a decent 2x upgrade over the standard SGX535 in the iphone 4. Of course the near doubling of the resolution all but negates that upgrade and send you back to square one.

sionyboy said:
I think that the smart money is on an omap series 4, probably 4460, in which case we can expect an sgx540 clocked at 384mhz, so coupled with the increase in cpu clocks it should deliver something a bit faster than Tegra2, but lagging behind mali and way behind A5.

Roll on the new exynos chip, would be interesting to see what samsung have used (though I fear its many months away from mass market).
There's a 32nm revision shipping soon. Same architecture but much higher clocks.

Cipherr said:
Last I checked because of a huge delay we werent even sure if it was going to be OMAP or Exynos in the bloody phone. Clock speeds are rumored to be between 1.2 and 1.5. Its all over the place man. At least get the clocks first, without that it really is just theory.

Edit: Im not talking about performance in relation to the iPhone 4s either, just in general, we know next to nothing really. GPU performance is all but guaranteed to be below the iPhone 4s just due to the resolution alone more than likely.
It won't be Exynos, Samsung just don't have the fab capacity, especially in the midst of a new iphone launch. They've struggled to fab enough Socs for their own products.

brain_stew said:
There's a 32nm revision shipping soon. Same architecture but much higher clocks.
That's the 4212 right? Is the architecture confirmed the same with just die shrinks/clock increase? I know they had lots of % increases in the press release, but was hoping lack of exact details might prove to be a surprise (ie. New gpu)

Still even if it is the mali 400 at "50% more performance ", should still be one to watch.

Gaaraz

So, ChompSMS is pretty good huh? Made by the same people who make BiteSMS for iPhone, pretty much an essential app I'd say.

beje

Banned
LegoArmo said:
e7kG6.png

Anyone know what "not installed" means? As far as I'm aware they are.

Sometimes the market acts retarded with stuff like that. In any case, clic them and check whether there is an update or not as that uses to happen with failed updates.

rc213

LegoArmo said:
e7kG6.png

Anyone know what "not installed" means? As far as I'm aware they are.
Newest Market is quite buggy, Clearing Data for apps showing up as not installed fixed that issue for me.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Yay at CM 7.1 releasing. I just rooted and went with 7.0.3 a few days ago and have been loving it over Sense, and I'll upgrade to this later. Biggest thing for me is the increase in battery life it provided. There is only so much you can do with a 1230 mAh battery but CM somehow made it last a full day of moderate - heavy use with 24% remaining after 17 hours.

kinggroin

Banned
I think we can agree on the bottom line, that this soc will be more than enough to handle the kind of gaming and applications that are on the market today and in the near future; at least if google stood by their hardware accelerated promise.

kinggroin said:
I think we can agree on the bottom line, that this soc will be more than enough to handle the kind of gaming and applications that are on the market today and in the near future; at least if google stood by their hardware accelerated promise.

The majority of games played on smartphones are casual malarkey like Angry Birds, Cut The Rope, etc anyway so I agree at this point in time a hugely powerful GPU isn't a necessity anyway. As many people have pointed out (including Apple users) the experience you actually get is worth so much more than ridiculous spec wars. If Ice Cream Sandwich brings smoothness across the board, better battery efficiencies and smaller enhancements I'll be fine with it. I can live with a 5 megapixel camera as well. I'm not convinced you need much better on a phone, because if you are that worried about taking high quality pictures you'd buy a proper digital camera. Most people use their smartphones to take pictures to upload to social networks like Twitter, Facebook etc not for blowing up and printing out.

To that end I'm not sure why people call the iPhone 4S a disappointment as it's phenomenally specc'd. 8 megapixel camera with backlit sensor and flash, HD recording, a dual core processor with insane GPU power, plenty of RAM and the build quality is second to none (even if the glass isn't smash proof). It's pretty much blow for blow with a Galaxy S2 which has a faster processor but a much worse GPU - and the iPhone 4S has a higher res screen. Really the only thing that could disappoint anyone is the lack of re-design.

I'm getting really annoyed and can't figure out the cause of this.

I'm running Cyanogen 7.1RC1 on HTC Incredible. I have *something* that's causing my System process to get pegged at 100% for a good 30 seconds or so. When this happens, whatever music I'm listening to skips horribly. The entire system is unusable when this is occurring (won't respond to any button presses or anything).

The same issue was occurring with 7.0. I flashed RC1 yesterday hoping that it would fix the issue but no luck.

It doesn't seem to be an issue with any specific music player- I've noticed it with the stock player, PowerAmp, and even Pandora. I'm not sure if it's actually related to music at all- that's just where I've noticed it occurring.

Anyone run into this issue before or any thoughts on how to diagnose?

Doopliss

OriginalThinking said:
The majority of games played on smartphones are casual malarkey like Angry Birds, Cut The Rope, etc anyway so I agree at this point in time a hugely powerful GPU isn't a necessity anyway. As many people have pointed out (including Apple users) the experience you actually get is worth so much more than ridiculous spec wars. If Ice Cream Sandwich brings smoothness across the board, better battery efficiencies and smaller enhancements I'll be fine with it. I can live with a 5 megapixel camera as well. I'm not convinced you need much better on a phone, because if you are that worried about taking high quality pictures you'd buy a proper digital camera. Most people use their smartphones to take pictures to upload to social networks like Twitter, Facebook etc not for blowing up and printing out.

To that end I'm not sure why people call the iPhone 4S a disappointment as it's phenomenally specc'd. 8 megapixel camera with backlit sensor and flash, HD recording, a dual core processor with insane GPU power, plenty of RAM and the build quality is second to none (even if the glass isn't smash proof). It's pretty much blow for blow with a Galaxy S2 which has a faster processor but a much worse GPU - and the iPhone 4S has a higher res screen. Really the only thing that could disappoint anyone is the lack of re-design.
For a lot of people the only thing they cared about was a redesign (with a bigger screen). A minority care about the spec bump and the rest are happy because they added an 'S' on the end of the name.

gcubed

Doopliss said:
For a lot of people the only thing they cared about was a redesign (with a bigger screen). A minority care about the spec bump and the rest are happy because they added an 'S' on the end of the name.
Yea a 3.5" screen is bunk

Sky Chief

Doopliss said:

If Apple would have come with a 4" screen or bigger and fully integrated GPS navigation and nothing else I would have already preordered an iPhone. Since they didn't I am waiting on the Nexus Prime. I primarily want a smart phone for web browsing and a 3.5" inch screen and no Flash just does not cut it. Properly integrated GPS navigation is also the most practical use of a smart phone other than actually making phone calls, sending text messages, and surfing the net.

Sky Chief said:
Properly integrated GPS navigation is also the most practical use of a smart phone other than actually making phone calls, sending text messages, and surfing the net.

Properly integrated GPS navigation is? What is the matter with the Iphone integration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom