• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

wario

on closer inspection, that tear-drop shaped phone looks 'shopped.

EDIT: one more with ICS.

123142efddoojiopotpjcq.jpg

not sure what to make of these. if you zoom in and look at the two sony branded phones, it gets really blurry around the sony icon and parts of the phone.

Seeing as how Sony Ericsson provides an official way to unlock the bootloader, I may go with a Sony for my next device if I don't go with a Nexus.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
White Galaxy SII Skyrocket arrived at AT&T today! I'm getting it tomorrow!! :O

does anyone have any recommendations for a cheapish, sim free android phone that i can use as a backup when travelling around the world? i was thinking maybe xperia play (£200ish on amazon.co.uk) for the novelty value, but open to suggestions. are entry-level devices like the galaxy y or galaxy mini really not worth bothering with?

Seriously why are Sony making ICS phones with buttons?

So far we haven't seen any new phones except for Tuna which lack any buttons at all.

I'm thinking if the manufacturers have all moved to button-less designs, it will only have been recently. We won't see any button-less phones hitting the US market until mid-2012. Galaxy S III might be the first non-Tuna button-less phone in March, if you're Korean.

Zeppu

But isn't that piss poor planning by the manufacturer's parts. Surely Google had revealed to them that ICS will follow Honeycomb's no button design.

Zeppu

Its google's fault. They don't give out ICS code.

That's bullshit. If a community can create CyanogenMod in a few weeks having absolutely no access to code before it is released to the public, manufacturers have no excuse to take longer.

kehs

Banned
Phones are six months behind code. There's too much prototyping stuff to build shit ahead of time.

With that said, real button > soft buttons.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
^^

Phones are in development 6 months before we even hear about them. And when you have something as fast moving as Android, it's almost certain that OEM's are gonna be behind the curve.

alternade

Has anyone had any problems with google music not recognizing local music? My ET4G when using ISyncr will only sync to the Samsung app. Google music app wont show any songs when I ask it for offline music only. It will show in the Song, albums tabs but when i go to playlists, the playlist titles will show but no music in them?

Zeppu

Hardware Buttons > Software Buttons > Touch Buttons.

If most phones are getting touch sensitive buttons anyway, may as well use software ones.

rozay

Banned
does anyone have any recommendations for a cheapish, sim free android phone that i can use as a backup when travelling around the world? i was thinking maybe xperia play (£200ish on amazon.co.uk) for the novelty value, but open to suggestions. are entry-level devices like the galaxy y or galaxy mini really not worth bothering with?
If you're looking for a cheap travel phone I'd actually recommend a nexus one, they can be had for pretty cheap now and if you're willing to install a custom rom (not cyanogen) they are pretty speedy for anything not graphics intensive (using it as a phone/GPS/web browser). They may be old but will still perform a hell of a lot better than most entry devices.

Camera is shit though. The touchscreen also isn't great at multitouch, but those are the only 2 real flaws. I have seen used ones go for close to $200-250 usd unlocked!

Anno

Is there a way to turn off push notifications across the entire device? I'd rather it just check for mail every 30 minutes or so and save on battery life.

Mafro

In the power control widget, what is the two circular arrows? Is that background refreshing for stuff like Facebook, Twitter etc?

Doopliss

I'm glad that the buttons aren't dying out completely. I see zero benefit to onscreen buttons, while wasted screen space is an obvious con.
People want bigger screens but smaller phones. On-screen buttons let you reduce the bezel below the screen, which is a step towards the entire front of the phone just being screen. Problem is the GN with its massive bezel doesn't take advantage of this.

BurntPork

Banned
People want bigger screens but smaller phones. On-screen buttons let you reduce the bezel below the screen, which is a step towards the entire front of the phone just being screen. Problem is the GN with its massive bezel doesn't take advantage of this.

But since the soft buttons never completely go away, it's mostly wasted space.

Alright, here is the deal:

I'm in Sprint's coverage zone but I'm down a valley and cant get any signal. So CDMA phones are out.

I also don't want to be bound by a contract AND I want a smartphone. I dont really want to talk much. I just need to use the internet at work.

I'm looking at the At&T Avail as a Gophone. It looks to be the most capable smartphone of the prepaid bunch (aside from the pricey Samsung Captivte at $449). I know 500MB isn't much but I don't plan on watching videos. Basically I just want browse my news and sports news sites.

Is it worth it?

tino

Banned
Alright, here is the deal:

I'm in Sprint's coverage zone but I'm down a valley and cant get any signal. So CDMA phones are out.

I also don't want to be bound by a contract AND I want a smartphone. I dont really want to talk much. I just need to use the internet at work.

I'm looking at the At&T Avail as a Gophone. It looks to be the most capable smartphone of the prepaid bunch (aside from the pricey Samsung Captivte at $449). I know 500MB isn't much but I don't plan on watching videos. Basically I just want browse my news and sports news sites.

Is it worth it?

Walmart $30 ATT prepaid plan.

Blackhead

Redarse
How much support do the Xperia phones get in the rom and rooting communities? Once the Xperia Mini Pro and Xperia Ray get ICS they'll become much more appealing to me...

Is there a list of the popular/decent apps which have been updated to support the new ICS layout? Do apps created for Honeycomb already work?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Ugh--- why white? I'm getting the black one here in what... a week and half? I just can't stand the white with silver trim. :/

It looks gorgeous in person. Plus the back casing makes it impossible to see smudges.

That will be mine... soon...

I love mine. It's so gorgeous. I loved my Infuse too, and this is basically the same phone but on steroids.

zbeeb

some people just like hardware buttons and not having buttons take up space on the display.

I can't comprehend why people are still pulling this line. It's obvious that if google were sticking with hardware buttons, the nexus would not have a 4.65" screen! The only reason the screen is that big is to accommodate the software buttons.

So you're not missing out on screen space at all, all you're getting is the added flexibility of software buttons AND more screen space during movies/etc.

Now if you prefer the tactile feel of physical buttons thats a whole different story...

kehs

Banned
I can't comprehend why people are still pulling this line. It's obvious that if google were sticking with hardware buttons, the nexus would not have a 4.65" screen! The only reason the screen is that big is to accommodate the software buttons.

So you're not missing out on screen space at all, all you're getting is the added flexibility of software buttons AND more screen space during movies/etc.

Now if you prefer the tactile feel of physical buttons thats a whole different story...

If you shift the screen up, and get rid of some of the superfluous features on the GN (like LED light, earpiece, FFC,) you can fit both a 4.65" screen and hardware buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom