• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
I love my google ecosystem and everything, but they are going to have to do something incredible to beat dropbox, It's easily the best piece of software I've started using in the last couple of years.
If they allow devs to auto save settings and data from apps ill ecstatic....no more nandroid necessary.

Google has been pushing devs to create a platform instead of island apps for a good while now which is a good sign.

tino

Banned
Yup and quite frankly, I think ICS is going to turn the tide on the iOS vs. Android debate once we get some saturation with some of the ASUS product line.

I think $300 tablets will beat eat into market share way before any feature on ICS. I don't think "people" ever care about features. See the Netbook market.

tino

Banned
the thing that sucks is that Verizon screwing around with it is slowing down the pressure for app developers.

as a note - my wife's atrix is having all kinds of whacky issues. She bought a protection plan through best buy because she has a hard time keeping a phone in her hands instead of on the ground, or on subway tracks (happened already). Anyone here have the Atrix 2? Best Buy doesnt really carry the original Atrix so when we go tomorrow she will most likely get an Atrix 2 as a replacement. I'm gathering its better?

Did she ask MTA to pick it up for her? Happened to my HD2 once. I had to wait one hour for them to send a guy with the stick to pick up the phone.

gcubed

Did she ask MTA to pick it up for her? Happened to my HD2 once. I had to wait one hour for them to send a guy with the stick to pick up the phone.

Never even thought of that. That incident was a year ago, but now i know for next time

Pctx

Banned
I'm curious if anyone else has fully pledged their support for Google Music? I just copied over all my iTunes folder from my MBP to my desktop and now I'm uploading everything. Should be fun since 250 songs or so are DRM laden.

I'm absolutely loving it thus far!

Husker86

I'm curious if anyone else has fully pledged their support for Google Music? I just copied over all my iTunes folder from my MBP to my desktop and now I'm uploading everything. Should be fun since 250 songs or so are DRM laden.

I'm full Google Music now. Loving it!

FireCloud

I've purchased more music from Google in the past two weeks than I have from itunes in the last five years. (of course $1.99 albums were the cause of that)

Circle T

I'm full Google Music now. Loving it!
Yup, same here. Took a couple days to upload all my stuff at first, but now the process is simple as pie. With my constant need to try new ROMs and such, and multiple phones, I love being able to just install the app, sign in, and all my music is there. My need for 16+GB phones instantly dropped after using this.

Also, the instant access after purchase in the Market is great. Excellent stuff.

*Edit* - While on the subject of music, Trent and Atticus released info about the soundtrack for TGWTDT tonight. You can get a free 6-track sampler right now. If you liked Ghosts, you'll LOVE this. Great stuff....

http://www.nin.com/?id=102677

gcubed

ive been full Google music since beta launch, but its gotten much better and more reliable with the new app and full release. I'm at 13000 songs

3rdman

I'm "all in" as well...it took almost a month to upload it all but I've got 13,000 songs up and it's so awesome. I'm most impressed by how easily and quickly something can be found and played. The instant mix option is mana from heaven for me as I've always wanted something like that for my personal collection.

I really wish you could just upload individual songs with Google Music. It would make things so much easier.
?

Just drag the individual song(s) into a folder that's being monitored. If you prefer, you can create a specific folder called e.g. Music Uploads and add that to Google Music. Then just drag songs you want to add there.

3rdman

I really wish you could just upload individual songs with Google Music. It would make things so much easier.

Do you have over 20,000 songs to upload? The whole point for me is that it means I don't have to make a choice about what to keep with me...I take it all everywhere.

If you really need to specify specific songs, do what Battersea says...Dedicate a folder and just copy any and all songs that you want into it.

kehs

Banned
RIP OG Droid, no ICS support from CM.

---

It only took a year for gingerbread to get on over 50% of android devices.

OPEN

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I've been searching around on the internet but haven't really found any decisive answers. I am wondering if maybe GAF can help.

I found a few guides on Rooting my Nexus S 4G. I am getting tired of waiting for ICS to come to the Nexus S and saw that there is a custom ROM for ICS that I could install on my phone.

I have never rooted my phone and I'm wanting to understand what are the advantages to rooting my phone. I'm sure there are some disadvantages as well and I would like to be aware of those before I make the decision to root my phone.

So can anyone help me with the pros and cons of rooting your phone?

I hope you guys have unlimited data plans. Streaming all your music from the cloud uses a LOT of bandwidth.

*Sprint user here*

Uploading took a long time (especially after some bitching from my roommate to lower the upload speed so he could play WoW), but once my 9000+ files were uploaded, google music is all I use now.

Only annoying bit is how my properly tagged music doesn't completely transfer over on a few files.

what we see at ces and mwc in early 2012 should be the last of the SE developed phones. sony phones should be arriving by fall 2012.

sony's already changing things up by using st-ericsson's chips instead of qualcomm snapdragons in some of their phones.

I would like to see them use ST-E and Tegra 3 for 2012/13. The 9600 from ST-E looks absolutely sick, 2.5GHz A15 with PowerVR series 6 would be great for phones and Tegra 3 looks very good on tablets so far. Hopefully Sony get a successor to the Tablet S out before Q2 2012 using Tegra 3.

Pctx

Banned
Nice piece on Android "identity crisis" on the Washington Post from Topolsky:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ntity-crisis/2011/11/29/gIQALlM2CO_story.html

I believe Android 4.0 is the Trojan horse to customizations becoming optional and not integrated to how the OS runs.

I've maintained for a while now that Android needs that and Google needs to pull in the reigns a bit on what their "channel partners" can do.

I believe if they make the OS core components consistent enough (like they are in 4.0) then add-ons or sub-features are a non-issue.

Then again, I'm jumping into TouchWiz 4.0 here in a week or two but I don't care since it does add value; however going forward I think that UI tweaks or add-ons need to be sub-features of core OS features and interactions for a consistent experience.

I believe Android 4.0 is the Trojan horse to customizations becoming optional and not integrated to how the OS runs.

I've maintained for a while now that Android needs that and Google needs to pull in the reigns a bit on what their "channel partners" can do.

I believe if they make the OS core components consistent enough (like they are in 4.0) then add-ons or sub-features are a non-issue.

Then again, I'm jumping into TouchWiz 4.0 here in a week or two but I don't care since it does add value; however going forward I think that UI tweaks or add-ons need to be sub-features of core OS features and interactions for a consistent experience.

Agreed. On top of that, I thought the issue of how Google is too open to a fault was a good point. They should try and reign in a lot of how Android is marketed and emphasize that the OS isn't super complicated and isn't directed towards just the tech nerds and power users.

Hopefully once the Nexus gets released they actually start using that commercial released a week or two ago that shows normal people using the phone.

Pctx

Banned
Agreed. On top of that, I thought the issue of how Google is too open to a fault was a good point. They should try and reign in a lot of how Android is marketed and emphasize that the OS isn't super complicated and isn't directed towards just the tech nerds and power users.

Hopefully once the Nexus gets released they actually start using that commercial released a week or two ago that shows normal people using the phone.

I think that is what Apple does so well... making the human connection to technology. Hopefully soon it'll get worked out.

ScOULaris

Why is everyone freaking out over Android's "identity crisis?" Giving manufacturers control over how Android looks and operates on their phones allows them to differentiate themselves from the competition. This leads to more options and more choice when it comes to choosing an Android phone that suits your tastes. I don't think Google cares too much about how the average user perceives the Android brand as long as phones running on their OS continue flying off shelves. And they will continue to sell like hotcakes because there are so many varieties which appeal to a wide array of users with different budgets and tastes.

Google should not look to Apple as the template. As of August of this year, Android was handily leading the pack in terms of user share. Sure, that user base is spread out over a larger number of phones than iOS by a large margin, but none of that matters to Google. All of those phones are using their OS and driving people toward their services, which means more ad revenue in the end.

gartner-e1313085514683.png

kehs

Banned
Total tangent, but Google has actually seen a drop in mobile ad revenue lately, probably because people aren't browsing, they're using apps.

Pctx

Banned
Why is everyone freaking out over Android's "identity crisis?" Giving manufacturers control over how Android looks and operates on their phones allows them to differentiate themselves from the competition. This leads to more options and more choice when it comes to choosing an Android phone that suits your tastes. I don't think Google cares too much about how the average user perceives the Android brand as long as phones running on their OS continue flying off shelves. And they will continue to sell like hotcakes because there are so many varieties which appeal to a wide array of users with different budgets and tastes.

Google should not look to Apple as the template. As of August of this year, Android was handily leading the pack in terms of user share. Sure, that user base is spread out over a larger number of phones than iOS by a large margin, but none of that matters to Google. All of those phones are using their OS and driving people toward their services, which means more ad revenue in the end.

gartner-e1313085514683.png
There's nothing wrong with a cohesive message for your platform and the reason for Android's ubiquitous nature is the fact that it is on cheaper phones which are largely more accessible to people who can't afford an iPhone.

No one's "freaking out" about an identity crisis, because obviously Android is doing quite well for itself.

Imagine just how much better Android adoption would be though if it didn't seem like the carriers/OEM's are trying to scare away casual users with ad campaigns that would make Michael Bay proud.

ScOULaris

No one's "freaking out" about an identity crisis, because obviously Android is doing quite well for itself.

Imagine just how much better Android adoption would be though if it didn't seem like the carriers/OEM's are trying to scare away casual users with ad campaigns that would make Michael Bay proud.

But... don't casual customers like Michael Bay?

derder

I've been using each beta of Hacksung's ICS alpha for my Captivate as a daily driver all week without issue. I'm going to sell my Atrix and wait for someone to port an equivalent ICS job to the SGS2, then sell my captivate.

ICS is the shit.

Now that we're actually playing around with ICS, were those rumours from 4 months back about all the cool stuff from ICS being pushed back to jelly bean just bullshit?

jmdajr

There's nothing wrong with a cohesive message for your platform and the reason for Android's ubiquitous nature is the fact that it is on cheaper phones which are largely more accessible to people who can't afford an iPhone.

Huh, some of those Androids are pretty damn expensive.

299... WITH a contract.

Sure they have cheapo ones too.

tino

Banned
Is confirmed/highly probable that carriers have been spying on their customers? Or were they all really just using it to know where their networks suck?

it doesn't matter. Was Sony fined for their root kit stuff? If it was, then Sprint and ATT are in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom