• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my first Android phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace) on Sat and am loving it so far, but I've run into a problem.

I've added my home email and my google email. My home email (Virgin Media) is based off of Gmail.

Every time my phone syncs with my email accounts it floods my contacts with multiple copies of the same entries, hundreds of which are people that I have from Google+.

Anyone got any ideas how I can clean this up and prevent it from making all these multiple entries? Idealy I'd like my phone, home and Googlemail accounts to have access to all the same contacts... like, one contact list that gets used by all 3.

My mistake. I meant to say Walmart $30/m Tmobile prepaid, 4GB, 100 min plan. Yes it designs for smartphones.

That's pretty good then? I saw the thread for it was pretty dead when I asked. I'm really tempted to get that at the beginning of the year when I have more money. Do you know if you can use unlocked phones on that plan? If I have to buy unsubsidized anyhow maybe it's worth getting a phone if it's better somewhere else?

Got my first Android phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace) on Sat and am loving it so far, but I've run into a problem.

I've added my home email and my google email. My home email (Virgin Media) is based off of Gmail.

Every time my phone syncs with my email accounts it floods my contacts with multiple copies of the same entries, hundreds of which are people that I have from Google+.

Anyone got any ideas how I can clean this up and prevent it from making all these multiple entries? Idealy I'd like my phone, home and Googlemail accounts to have access to all the same contacts... like, one contact list that gets used by all 3.
Go to Settings, Accounts & Sync, and go into each account, and activate Sync Contacts for only ONE of the accounts. Then, just fix that contact list up.

I suggest going to the Gmail desktop interface, then Contacts. From there you can export and import contact lists (so you can export the lists from your various accounts and import them into the one you want to use). There's also a Find and Merge Duplicates function so you can easily combine multiple entries for the same person.

kehs

Banned
oh no, asus padfone running tegra 3?! Here comes copernicus
February, damn between that and the Nexus February is gonna be a crazy android month.

Sidenote - 4.0 introduced tooltip on hover events, they also work when you touch+hold. Try it on gmail on the menu options at the bottom.

kehs

Banned

Under contacts hit menu > display options and turn off the accounts/groups you don't want to display.

gcubed

February, damn between that and the Nexus February is gonna be a crazy android month.

Sidenote - 4.0 introduced tooltip on hover events, they also work when you touch+hold. Try it on gmail on the menu options at the bottom.

it indeed works. I've had a few hiccups here and there trying to find things. I think its more intuitive for people who never used android, but running it for the past 2 years i felt like a doofus asking where the phone settings were (under the phone app, dumbass)

Go to Settings, Accounts & Sync, and go into each account, and activate Sync Contacts for only ONE of the accounts. Then, just fix that contact list up.

I suggest going to the Gmail desktop interface, then Contacts. From there you can export and import contact lists (so you can export the lists from your various accounts and import them into the one you want to use). There's also a Find and Merge Duplicates function so you can easily combine multiple entries for the same person.

Under contacts hit menu > display options and turn off the accounts/groups you don't want to display.

Sounds like I can only have the contacts list for one email, and the phone accesses that. So there's no way for bot emails to have access to one contact list? That's annoying :(

Also, under contacts I have the groups that I set up on the Googlemail web client (friends, family, etc) but on the phone it shows them but also empty groups with the same names with the words "Google System Group" underneath in blue text.

What are those all about?

SimleuqiR

http://androidandme.com/2011/12/news/sony-no-more-feature-phones-android-is-our-future
It appears Sony has been actively working on a business model for the now-wholly owned subsidiary in a post-Ericsson world. India-based Economic Times is reporting that the Sony Ericsson line of devices will be phased by mid-2012. In its place, Sony will be focusing its mobile division around Android, and will release Android smartphones under the Sony name.

This is going to be interesting nonetheless.

Cruceh

Banned
I guess February is when I get an SGS2. Waiting for that < $400 unlocked price! Or if there is a sliver of news of the SGS3, I might buy that full price.

kehs

Banned
Sounds like I can only have the contacts list for one email, and the phone accesses that. So there's no way for bot emails to have access to one contact list? That's annoying :(

Also, under contacts I have the groups that I set up on the Googlemail web client (friends, family, etc) but on the phone it shows them but also empty groups with the same names with the words "Google System Group" underneath in blue text.

What are those all about?
Ah I see what you mean, does the phone allow you to create contacts without account? Most android phones don't, so most people just choose a dedicated gmail account to use a contact database.

This way the contacts are pulled from the account and not from the phone, if you lose your phone the contacts are safe and living in your account.

Still you should be able to hide the duplicates from the contacts app by hiding the group, though the "my contacts" group superseeds other groups.

I thought that is what's happening... which is why you have all the duplicates, no?

The reason for all the duplicates is because my home email and my Googlemail have identical contact lists. The phone reads both emails contact lists and adds them to its pool of contacts. 2 emails, 2 lists so 2 entries. What I really need is a single contact list that I can access from either of the email accounts or phone whenever I like, and if it gets updated then the update is shown in whichever program I happen to be viewing.

Ah I see what you mean, does the phone allow you to create contacts without account? Most android phones don't, so most people just choose a dedicated gmail account to use a contact database.

This way the contacts are pulled from the account and not from the phone, if you lose your phone the contacts are safe and living in your account.

Still you should be able to hide the duplicates from the contacts app by hiding the group, though the "my contacts" group superseeds other groups.

No, it doesn't let me (although I believe I can if I do it through the Samsung desktop program "Kies"). Looks like I'll have to do your other suggestion and just hide lists, or choose not to sync from one of the emails and just remember to keep exporting/importing contacts as and when they get updated.

Thanks for trying.

Radec

this one's new with a tear drop shape. might be the midrange, LT22 nyphon:
123141ll04bb594v6d94ll.jpg

So it begins!

The reason for all the duplicates is because my home email and my Googlemail have identical contact lists. The phone reads both emails contact lists and adds them to its pool of contacts. 2 emails, 2 lists so 2 entries. What I really need is a single contact list that I can access from either of the email accounts or phone whenever I like, and if it gets updated then the update is shown in whichever program I happen to be viewing.
I don't get it. You want a single list... you have a single list. If it's a single list showing data from 2 accounts, you're going to get duplicates. It sounds like you don't want a single list, but 2 separate lists for your 2 separate accounts. I don't know why you'd want to do that, since it's a pain to have to manage things twice (e.g. if you want Joey Green to be in you contacts for home and for work/school, you'll have to add him twice).

I don't get it. You want a single list... you have a single list. If it's a single list showing data from 2 accounts, you're going to get duplicates. It sounds like you don't want a single list, but 2 separate lists for your 2 separate accounts. I don't know why you'd want to do that, since it's a pain to have to manage things twice (e.g. if you want Joey Green to be in you contacts for home and for work/school, you'll have to add him twice).

Yes, I want a single list, but not a single list from 2 accounts. Rather a single list that 2 accounts (and by extension, the phone) can access.

I can't comprehend why people are still pulling this line. It's obvious that if google were sticking with hardware buttons, the nexus would not have a 4.65" screen! The only reason the screen is that big is to accommodate the software buttons.

So you're not missing out on screen space at all, all you're getting is the added flexibility of software buttons AND more screen space during movies/etc.

Now if you prefer the tactile feel of physical buttons thats a whole different story...

it has a 4.65" screen because Samsung can't reliably make smaller Super AMOLED HD screens yet.

My mistake. I meant to say Walmart $30/m Tmobile prepaid, 4GB, 100 min plan. Yes it designs for smartphones.

That sounds goo except that t-mobile doesn't cover my house or where I work. I'll be at those places 05 percent of the time. I am covered by their partner netowrk (ATT) but I'm assuming that would be a problem if that is all I ever use. Also, they dont sell anything t-mobile unless I go down the road quite a ways. I live in west virginia so my phone options are ass.

Circle T

vadernooooooo.jpg

Just got an email from Clove telling me that the white Galaxy Note has been delayed until early 2012. It was last listed as coming early December, so I was getting real excited about getting one soon. Looks like I'll be waiting another month or so. Maybe it will have ICS by then, though. That wouldn't be so bad. And at least I'll be getting the Nexus soon (this week?).

Someone left me a voicemail this weekend on my Droid X2 and despite cleaning out my entire voice-mailbox, it's still giving me the alert in the top bar telling me I have a new voicemail. It's driving me crazy. I've shut the phone off and left it off for a bit, and also have called myself and left another new voicemail and then deleted that in an attempt to get it to recognize there is nothing in my mailbox. Didn't work. Anyone ever have this problem/know how to fix it?

He wants the main contact list on the phone independent of an account, and for that to sync up to the other accounts.
Isn't that what happens? It syncs up to the other accounts. Does he manually want to go through each contact and say Ricky only syncs with my home account but Rachel syncs with both and Mark syncs with my work account? I don't understand the functionality he's looking for. I'm pretty confident if I do understand, that there's a convenient way to do it.

kehs

Banned
Isn't that what happens? It syncs up to the other accounts. Does he manually want to go through each contact and say Ricky only syncs with my home account but Rachel syncs with both and Mark syncs with my work account? I don't understand the functionality he's looking for. I'm pretty confident if I do understand, that there's a convenient way to do it.

Nope, the list just displays contacts from accounts, but yea it seems like he wants to push up contacts, instead of pull down contacts from gmail accounts.

I know AOSP roms can create contacts on the phone unsynced, but then he'd have to export them. I think Sense does what he wants though.

tino

Banned
Yes, I want a single list, but not a single list from 2 accounts. Rather a single list that 2 accounts (and by extension, the phone) can access.
I think you should dump your Virgin acct and just use gmail from now on.

Even if you sort this out, when google introduce new service, it will likely cause problem w/ your Virgin Media account.

He wants the main contact list on the phone independent of an account, and for that to sync up to the other accounts.

That's right.

Basically if I have a list of contacts that contains 50 people, I'd like to be able to go on my home email and look at the contacts and see 50 people, go on my Googlemail and see 50 people and look at my phone and see 50 people. If I update a contact on my phone with an alternative email address, I'd like to see that new info on the contact list if I look on either email.

Like when you have email set up, I can look on the desktop client at home and see 2 unread emails, be at work and look at the web-based email and see 2 unread or be on the train home and see 2 unread emails. If I read an email on the phone and then get home the desktop client shows the email has been read, or if I look at the web client it'll show the email has been read.

One pool that's read by all 3 and any changes are reflected to all 3.

If it can be done for emails, why not the contact lists too?

I think you should dump your Virgin acct and just use gmail from now on.

Even if you sort this out, when google introduce new service, it will likely cause problem w/ your Virgin Media account.

Probably the only solution.

On my Virgin email on both the desktop and web-based client, it shows all emails from both accounts and lets me send from both accounts too. Maybe if I can get the Googlemail to do the same thing, then that would solve all the problems and I wouldn't have to abandon the Virgin email as I use it for everything.

gcubed

That's right.

Basically if I have a list of contacts that contains 50 people, I'd like to be able to go on my home email and look at the contacts and see 50 people, go on my Googlemail and see 50 people and look at my phone and see 50 people. If I update a contact on my phone with an alternative email address, I'd like to see that new info on the contact list if I look on either email.

Like when you have email set up, I can look on the desktop client at home and see 2 unread emails, be at work and look at the web-based email and see 2 unread or be on the train home and see 2 unread emails. If I read an email on the phone and then get home the desktop client shows the email has been read, or if I look at the web client it'll show the email has been read.

One pool that's read by all 3 and any changes are reflected to all 3.

If it can be done for emails, why not the contact lists too?

Probably the only solution.

On my Virgin email on both the desktop and web-based client, it shows all emails from both accounts and lets me send from both accounts too. Maybe if I can get the Googlemail to do the same thing, then that would solve all the problems and I wouldn't have to abandon the Virgin email as I use it for everything.

you can have gmail pull in emails from other accounts rather easily. Thats one way to do it. There is an inherent advantage of using an email thats not tied to an ISP (i'm assuming thats what your virgin email is)?

Because it can't be done with emails when more than one account is concerned. I have about 10 different email addresses, from various domains, all funneled into a single Gmail account.

I too enjoy the benefits of only checking email once, whether I'm on my phone, laptop, desktop, whatever, since I only log into my main Gmail account. If I receive an email to my @professional.com account, it's forwarded to my @gmail.com account automatically, I check it, it's marked as read, I archive it, label it, etc.

But if for some reason I were to log into my @professional.com account, those changes would not be reflected. It's a different account.

The same thing with contacts. You can only affect one account at a time.
Yes, you can set Gmail to receive and send from many addresses. You can set it to automatically reply using the address at which the email was received. It's extremely flexible.

kehs

Banned
That's a pretty gnarly sounding email setup virgin has running, but they're probably just accessing your gmail account through IMAP.

Don't think contacts have the same capability to do that. You can however invert the email setup and having your gmail account imap into the virgin account(since you said it was gmail based you should be able to do it).

Yes, you can set Gmail to receive and send from many addresses. You can set it to automatically reply using the address at which the email was received. It's extremely flexible.

Good, problem solved then *phew*

That's a pretty gnarly sounding email setup virgin has running, but they're probably just accessing your gmail account through IMAP.

It was a normal ISP email untill (I think) last year. I don't remember exactly, but I've been using the same email address for the past 12yrs, so you can see why I'd be reluctant to abandon it. I even use it for Google, and it wasn't until Google+ that I realised an "****@Googlemail.com" address for me even existed.

If I log into my ISP's web based email it's basically a Virgin Media (predominently red) branded, reskinned Gmail.

I'll set Gmail to pool all my Virgin Media mail and just stick to using what is essentially 1 email account. Should cure all that ails me (for now, anyway).

Thanks everyone for the help!

tino

Banned
That sounds goo except that t-mobile doesn't cover my house or where I work. I'll be at those places 05 percent of the time. I am covered by their partner netowrk (ATT) but I'm assuming that would be a problem if that is all I ever use. Also, they dont sell anything t-mobile unless I go down the road quite a ways. I live in west virginia so my phone options are ass.
I would port the number to google voice, and then point the calls to both the TMo prepaid and a Page Plus prepaid phone, which uses Verizon signal.

kehs

Banned
$100 MIPS based tablets:

The new tablet is available with a 7&#8221; capacitive multi-touch screen. 8&#8221; and 9&#8221; form factors will be available soon. All versions include support for WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, USB 2.0, HDMI 1.3 and microSD, as well as 3D graphics with the Vivante GC860 GPU, 1080p video decoding and dual front/rear cameras. The XBurst processor&#8217;s power-efficient architecture provides extended battery life&#8212;the 7&#8221; tablet draws less than 400mA during active web browsing.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...-100-ice-cream-sandwich-tablet-available-now/

No more pain from having to choose virtual or real keys, it has both.

JBuccCP

I just installed an ics beta on my inspire. It's really great. Like keep me from switching to ios or WP7 great.

The fonts are really pleasant, the new google apps are nice in looks and functionallity. There's even these weird animated thingys when you transition between stuff.

Performance seems really nice considering it's not exactly a cutting egde device and it's still a beta. I woud describe performance as nearly perfectly smooth up until it completrly breaks.

Also autocorrect does not seem to be working so if there are typos thats why. No camera either unfortunately. Overall super impressed.

Patriots7

Google will buy Sony?
Given how Sony's stock keeps dropping, they'd be pretty attractive. Although I can see Microsoft and Apple starting a bidding war that Google couldn't win if they even suspected that of transpiring.
Honestly, I think Sony would have been a better purchase than Motorola.

But it would never pass. Antitrust would block that faster than anything. YouTube with all of Sony's content on it? Hah.

I want Sony to buy Palm from HP and build its empire around webOS. They're never going to see Apple success piggybacking off of Android.

tino

Banned
I'm putting my money on the PlayStation 4 being run on Android. You heard it here first. This is yet another channel Google can take the fight to Microsoft.
If Sony can bring a suit of native client to run on selected ARM hardware along side delvin not on top of Android it would turn them into very powerful gaming machines.

gcubed

Given how Sony's stock keeps dropping, they'd be pretty attractive. Although I can see Microsoft and Apple starting a bidding war that Google couldn't win if they even suspected that of transpiring.
Honestly, I think Sony would have been a better purchase than Motorola.

But it would never pass. Antitrust would block that faster than anything. YouTube with all of Sony's content on it? Hah.

I want Sony to buy Palm from HP and build its empire around webOS. They're never going to see Apple success piggybacking off of Android.

they are never going to see ANY success by buying and running webOS

Patriots7

they are never going to see ANY success by buying and running webOS
Building their 4 screen strategy based on open source software made by the soon to be parent company of another competitor is not any better from my view. Sony needs to regain its wow factor. At least they'll be able to differentiate with webOS. One platform, considered one of the best on the market, with the massive patent portfolio that comes with Palm, powering all of their products would help them a long way. Sony doesn't even believe in Android enough, PS Vita is using a proprietary OS.
Hell, Sony is where they are now simply because they can't develop simple, elegant software.

But I assume Stringer and Kaz will let yet another opportunity pass them by.

That said the Nozomi might be my next phone if it turns up on AT&T.

gcubed

Building their 4 screen strategy based on open source software made by the soon to be parent company of another competitor is not any better from my view. Sony needs to regain its wow factor. At least they'll be able to differentiate with webOS. One platform, considered one of the best on the market, with the massive patent portfolio that comes with Palm, powering all of their products would help them a long way. Sony doesn't even believe in Android enough, PS Vita is using a proprietary OS.
Hell, Sony is where they are now simply because they can't develop simple, elegant software.

But I assume Stringer and Kaz will let yet another opportunity pass them by.

That said the Nozomi might be my next phone if it turns up on AT&T.

a failed operating system (twice) is not a smart investment for a company that has cash flow problems. A new name behind it isn't going to magically make people want to use it. Sony can't afford to build any kind of following or push whats needed to have developers be interested in it (again, it failed twice, developers arent going to come flocking to it)

Paches

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but up on ATT.com the Atrix 1 webtop is going for $50 right now, $250 online discount. I think they are clearing stock for the lapdock 100s coming out. I snatched one up because at $50, why not?

Sony Ericsson is going to be in permanent decline unless they force a paradigm shift and become the leader in a new market segment created in future. Smartphones are heading to a low margin future, similar to what PC experienced. Google, Apple and maybe MS are going to reap all the profits, hardware makers will be irrelevant.

Blackhead

Redarse
a failed operating system (twice) is not a smart investment for a company that has cash flow problems. A new name behind it isn't going to magically make people want to use it. Sony can't afford to build any kind of following or push whats needed to have developers be interested in it (again, it failed twice, developers arent going to come flocking to it)
Sony isn't like other hardware-focused manufacturers. Sony is more like Amazon; Sony can provide content to go along with their tablets. The Playbook bombed (similar hardware to the Kindle Fire), practically all Android tablets bombed (similar software to the Kindle Fire) and yet when Amazon stuck their name behind one it's now selling millions. If Sony bought webOS and put up a proper content store on it, from their movies to playstation games, they might be able to get the ball rolling. Of course Sony hasn't actually been able to do that on Android either, and I have little faith that they'd be able to execute on webOS, but the potential is there. They are certainly a better fit than HP ever were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom