• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruceh

Banned
I'm sure we can find somone to create a Pinkie Pie edition of ICS if that would be more your thing.
image.php

I don't think the gsm version of the phone gets 3g at all on T mobile unless is the T mobile branded one?

Ah, really? I heard something about bands when looking at the iPhone but I don't know which bands T-Mobile uses. I just saw T-Mobile listed as a "compatible carrier" but I don't know if that means everything but 3G and 4G work on it so I'm not really sure.

new facebook for android landing soon:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/06/facebook-for-android-refresh-dedicated-places-app-on-the-way/

If its true, I don't know why they feel the need to seperate functions into different 'apps.' I just find it annoying

While having a bunch of different apps in your app drawer would be kind of annoying, I could see having a shortcut to a facebook "nearby" app in your lockscreen being pretty useful. (not that I use facebook, though)

Ah, really? I heard something about bands when looking at the iPhone but I don't know which bands T-Mobile uses. I just saw T-Mobile listed as a "compatible carrier" but I don't know if that means everything but 3G and 4G work on it so I'm not really sure.

T mobile uses
850 MHz - Roaming
1900 MHz - I think this one they use for voice
1700 MHz/2100 MHz - Use for 3G and there 3.5G Data

Yeah just checked newegg just has the Galaxy listed as 3G for attnt only. That's why the iPhone only get edge speed on T-mobile because its missing the 1700 band.

T mobile uses
850 MHz - Roaming
1900 MHz - I think this one they use for voice
1700 MHz/2100 MHz - Use for 3G and there 3.5G Data

Yeah just checked newegg just has the Galaxy listed as 3G for attnt only. That's why the iPhone only get edge speed on T-mobile because its missing the 1700 band.

Ah, ok. Well, I think T-Mobile said theirs is coming this "holiday season" so I'll see what happens. It's only $30 difference but having Samsung at the top instead of T-Mobile is a lot nicer too. :p

Wouldn't you be better off getting a hspa+ galaxy nexus at that point?

Dunno, is that a T-Mobile phone? All I've seen so far is it's Verizon only the Nexus (Or for now at least?) and I don't know what phones there are. That's why my first post I asked if there was anything coming out between now and beginning of january. I haven't kept up too much and the ones I have I can't find information on concerning T-Mobile or aren't coming to them. If there's something I should be paying attention to that would come out in that timeframe I'll look into it. I'm be back in the states at the beginning of january and I think I'm going to definitely get a plan with a smart phone now so I'm just trying to research phones for now to see what looks good from impressions so when I go to look at phones once I get back I can try it in person and make sure it's the one I want. No one suggested any other phones since I posted it so I assumed there weren't any. :(

Dunno, is that a T-Mobile phone? All I've seen so far is it's Verizon only the Nexus (Or for now at least?) and I don't know what phones there are. That's why my first post I asked if there was anything coming out between now and beginning of january. I haven't kept up too much and the ones I have I can't find information on concerning T-Mobile or aren't coming to them. If there's something I should be paying attention to that would come out in that timeframe I'll look into it. I'm be back in the states at the beginning of january and I think I'm going to definitely get a plan with a smart phone now so I'm just trying to research phones for now to see what looks good from impressions so when I go to look at phones once I get back I can try it in person and make sure it's the one I want.

Well, you can currently buy the hspa+ version of the phone and use it on t-mobile at full speed today. It'll cost you a pretty penny though until the phone officially releases in the US (probably after verizon's month exclusive is over). Currently all the places selling it i believe are importing them from the UK.

Well, you can currently buy the hspa+ version of the phone and use it on t-mobile at full speed today. It'll cost you a pretty penny though until the phone officially releases in the US (probably after verizon's month exclusive is over). Currently all the places selling it i believe are importing them from the UK.

Ya, that's probably pretty steep though. :/ The S2 is $530 from T-Mobile so I'll see in a month if there's more info about it. I think I'm ok spending $500-$600 and maybe a little flexible over that but I not really much more. I don't know how much it is to import though but at the exchange rate I'm assuming not so cheap. :/

Edit: Is nexus definitely better? It seems like somethings are better on the S2 than the Nexus and vice versa. Apparently google handles nexus phones though so updates come a lot sooner and it has ice cream sandwich out of the box which seems really awesome but S2 should get it also soon hopefully? I know people said samsung sucks for updates though. :/

Edit: Ya, quick search shows about $750 for preorders... That's kind of steep for me. :/ I don't think I can bring myself to pay that.

Ya, that's probably pretty steep though. :/ The S2 is $530 from T-Mobile so I'll see in a month if there's more info about it. I think I'm ok spending $500-$600 and maybe a little flexible over that but I not really much more. I don't know how much it is to import though but at the exchange rate I'm assuming not so cheap. :/

Edit: Is nexus definitely better? It seems like somethings are better on the S2 than the Nexus and vice versa. Apparently google handles nexus phones though so updates come a lot sooner and it has ice cream sandwich out of the box which seems really awesome but S2 should get it also soon hopefully? I know people said samsung sucks for updates though. :/

Edit: Ya, quick search shows about $750 for preorders... That's kind of steep for me. :/ I don't think I can bring myself to pay that.

I would definitely except the price of it to drop after the holiday season comes to a close to be in your price range. (hell, in a few days you'd be able to import one from Canada where they're being sold outright for $550). Another thing to keep in mind is that the cpu in the t-mobile version of the Galaxy S II is different (and inferior) to the cpu in the rest of the versions out there. The Galaxy Nexus would definitely be a faster, nicer phone and come with ICS and google's support.

Blackhead

Redarse
Has there been a tweak made yet that includes the ICS browser's open pages in the system multitasking view? Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing any mods for the Google Suite of Apps... why doesn't someone add picture resize/zoom and unified inbox to gmail app, for example?

What's the support for the Xperia devices like in the Community? Are there any ICS roms for the Xperia Ray or Mini Pro?

p.s.
Apple to Samsung: Don't Make Thin or Rectangular Tablets or Smartphones
in before Computer makes a thread

kehs

Banned
Has there been a tweak made yet that includes the ICS browser's open pages in the system multitasking view? Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing any mods for the Google Suite of Apps... why doesn't someone add picture resize/zoom and unified inbox to gmail app, for example?

What's the support for the Xperia devices like in the Community? Are there any ICS roms for the Xperia Ray or Mini Pro?

p.s.
Apple to Samsung: Don't Make Thin or Rectangular Tablets or Smartphones
in before Computer makes a thread

C&D, Google Apps are proprietary. CM used to modify them very early on, but they got got.

There's a few people on XDA modifying Google Apps, but I personally don't feel comfortable using modded apps that are tied to my main google account.

C&D, Google Apps are proprietary. CM used to modify them very early on, but they got got.

There's a few people on XDA modifying Google Apps, but I personally don't feel comfortable using modded apps that are tied to my main google account.

So in other words, wait for chrome on android, and then we'll all be running custom chromium builds with crazy shit.

I would definitely except the price of it to drop after the holiday season comes to a close to be in your price range. (hell, in a few days you'd be able to import one from Canada where they're being sold outright for $550). Another thing to keep in mind is that the cpu in the t-mobile version of the Galaxy S II is different (and inferior) to the cpu in the rest of the versions out there. The Galaxy Nexus would definitely be a faster, nicer phone and come with ICS and google's support.

Wait, seriously? Why the fuck does it have a slower processor than every other version of the phone? So stupid.

Circle T

T-mo wanted a processor compatible with their HSPA+ up to 42 mbps, I think the exynos setup only does up to 21 mbps.
This is the same with the AT&T GSII "Skyrocket" as well, if I understand things correctly. Samsung do not yet make a chipset that works with T-Mo's 42mbps network, or with AT&T's LTE, so they had to use the Qualcomm for it.

I was kidding about the liquidation thing, it's just a bunch of apps going for sale.

I know, I was just kidding around also. :p

Well, it shouldn't be a long exclusive, and in over here in Canada the carrier who got an exclusive only has it for one month, so I guess part wishful thinking, part educated guess.

Ah, ok. I'll keep an eye for it then. I just saw most websites saying it's probably not exclusive since they removed the little thing saying verizon exclusive but it seemed like verizon was the only one with a date so I wasn't sure if it was assumptions just like the iPhone coming to t-mobile or something like that and possibly not pan out. Is the Canada one an unlocked phone or you have to unlock it yourself? That one also supports the bands t-mobile uses so I could get 4G on it without any problems?

Ah, ok. I'll keep an eye for it then. I just saw most websites saying it's probably not exclusive since they removed the little thing saying verizon exclusive but it seemed like verizon was the only one with a date so I wasn't sure if it was assumptions just like the iPhone coming to t-mobile or something like that and possibly not pan out. Is the Canada one an unlocked phone or you have to unlock it yourself? That one also supports the bands t-mobile uses so I could get 4G on it without any problems?

It's a bit foggy since it's pre-release, but the Canadian carrier Bell Canada is apparently locking the subsidized phones, but word from random people who work at Google is the the if you buy it outright that it should be unlocked. I guess we will know more by tomorrow.

deadbeef

What are the current options for running ICS on a phone and/or tablet? It's all via hacking and what not right? Have they even released ICS yet? I know the Galaxy is the first ICS-enabled device and it still doesn't have a release date. I've heard that ICS has been loaded onto the Nexus?

Oozer3993

What are the current options for running ICS on a phone and/or tablet? It's all via hacking and what not right? Have they even released ICS yet? I know the Galaxy is the first ICS-enabled device and it still doesn't have a release date. I've heard that ICS has been loaded onto the Nexus?
ICS source was released weeks ago. The Galaxy Nexus was released in Europe on November 17th and will be released in the US on Friday. It is currently the only device with an official build of ICS, but there are customers ROMs of it for many other devices, including the Nexus S.

AndyD

aka andydumi
If you buy something on the amazon store do you get auto-updates?

I can't get the amazon store properly here but from a dev standpoint it's totally subpar compared to the Google one.

Yes. The updates are a couple of days late though. But you certainly get updates through the Amazon store.

Toki767

Yeah, I bought Swiftkey X and Soundhound even though I already got them for free from Amazon. Don't mind tossing 10 cents to the devs for those.

jayb

Sad panda. :(...

Even though the t-mobile GS2 processor is not quite as good as the other GS2 variants, it's still no slouch by any means. Also, assuming you're in an area with HSPA+42, it's download speeds will be faster than the rest.

it is the best phone t-mo has right now

dabig2

Damn, can't download any of those apps right now. Server keeps giving me this message that it's getting ass-raped right now.

SimleuqiR

Yeah, I bought Swiftkey X and Soundhound even though I already got them for free from Amazon. Don't mind tossing 10 cents to the devs for those.

I used the free version of Soundhound and love it, so why not pay up for just 10 cents. I also bought Swiftkey, since I owned the Tablet version. That said, ICS keyboard is really fucking good!! I wonder if Google implemented the Blind Type code into this update.

Yes. The updates are a couple of days late though. But you certainly get updates through the Amazon store.
Yeah I submitted a game and then patched it day 2 on the google market. I had to wait a week to get on the amazon market before I could even submit my patch which now will be another week perhaps. I didn't realise the same is true of the assets, which are now out of date and might need another submittal to get changed. Daft.

edit: oh and this is clearly Google's gambit to get people to type in the credit card details. Good shit.

Cudder

Definitely buying some of those apps!

So we get 10 NEW apps at .10c to choose from every day for the next 10 days? Or is this just one sale that lasts for 10 days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom