• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

http://phandroid.com/2011/10/10/android-market-blocked-in-china/

android-china-248.jpg

Access to market.android.com from within China is denied across five major provinces, blocking smartphone users from accessing and downloading applications from the portal.

kung-fu-treachery.jpg

Anyone want to recommend a good generation or two old phone and / or a good place to buy older phones?

I'm on the t-mobile no contract plan and don't want to sign a contract but I'm getting sick of my G1 and want to upgrade to something that A.) lets me play around with all the cool customizations I see in the customizations thread and B.) lets me replace my ipod touch as my podcast player

Plus I want to play around with rooting my G1 without worrying about bricking my phone in the process.

I'm leaning towards a my touch 3g at $250 from t-mobile. My wife had one and I liked it (but she didn't) and after it broke she went back to using a flip phone

Jeff-DSA

HamPster PamPster said:
Anyone want to recommend a good generation or two old phone and / or a good place to buy older phones?

I'm on the t-mobile no contract plan and don't want to sign a contract but I'm getting sick of my G1 and want to upgrade to something that A.) lets me play around with all the cool customizations I see in the customizations thread and B.) lets me replace my ipod touch as my podcast player

Plus I want to play around with rooting my G1 without worrying about bricking my phone in the process.

I'm leaning towards a my touch 3g at $250 from t-mobile. My wife had one and I liked it (but she didn't) and after it broke she went back to using a flip phone

The G2 is a better phone and still performs fairly well in benchmarks for its age. The T-Mobile Galaxy S phone isn't bad either.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wrestlemania said:
I like to be able to comfortably use my phone with one hand. I hope they stick to the 3.5" screen forever.

Unless you have the hands of a child, I'm not sure how a 4.3" screen is any harder to contorl than a 3.5" one... The footprint of a iPhone and a 4.3" phone like the SGSII isn't much of a difference, since there is so much dead space on the iPhone.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Wrestlemania said:
I like to be able to comfortably use my phone with one hand. I hope they stick to the 3.5" screen forever.

Babies aren't supposed to be playing around with those kinds of things anyway

kinggroin

Banned
Wrestlemania said:

I bet the move to 4" would have no negative effect on the phone's usability for you. Unless you have childlike hands. Even then, my 4 year old can handle the droid x like a pro.

RdN

Great that CM7.1 has been released. It was a very long time betweeen stablesl I'll upgrade my Defy later today.

Also, anyone knows where I can find a Google Music invite? I'm dying to try it out, but can't find an invite. :(

Circle T

While we're on that subject, Google Music is telling me that I have 8 invites that I can give out. If anyone wants one, PM me your details, and I can also help out.

DMeisterJ said:
Unless you have the hands of a child, I'm not sure how a 4.3" screen is any harder to contorl than a 3.5" one... The footprint of a iPhone and a 4.3" phone like the SGSII isn't much of a difference, since there is so much dead space on the iPhone.
I wouldn't say I have particularly small hands, but on the iPhone I can reach the further corner from my thumb without having to stretch too far. 4.3" would literally be a stretch, which I'd rather not do.

http://dcurt.is/2011/10/03/3-point-5-inches/

fourinches.png

That matches up pretty well with the range I can reach on my iPhone.

Wrestlemania said:
I wouldn't say I have particularly small hands, but on the iPhone I can reach the further corner from my thumb without having to stretch too far. 4.3" would literally be a stretch, which I'd rather not do.

3.5" was the sweet spot for me too, I own the S2 and find it a bit of a stretch to reach across the screen with my thumb when on Landscape.

Circle T

Wrestlemania said:

http://next.dustincurtis.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/fourinches.png

The person who that green area shows must have really short thumbs. Without much effort at all, I can hit the far corners of my Galaxy SII. And that is with a 4.3" screen. My Captivate is even easier, with it's 4" screen.

Wrestlemania said:

fourinches.png

That guy is such a blinded zealot of all things Apple. If you look at his other blog posts, they are all about validating his bad purchase decisions.

Edit: He also has small ass hands.

Sanic

Cell standby uses almost as much battery as the display, hovering between 20%-30%. That's not normal, right? Anything I can do about that? Reception is generally ok on my area.

Circle T

Well, they're getting closer to you, Deadly Cyclone, but not quite all the way to Ames yet....

Android Police said:
Verizon Expanding Its 4G LTE Network By 13 New Cities On November 17th

On October 20th, VZW will be turning on LTE coverage in 20 new markets, and this morning, an announcement was sent out with details of 13 new cities that will be added to the mix on November 17th:

Little Rock, AR
Savannah, GA
Cedar Rapids and Des Moines, IA
Lexington, KY
Kansas City and Springfield, MO
Lincoln, NE
Orange County, NY
Greater Providence, Rapid City, SD
Roanoke, VA
Appleton, WS

It's clear that Big Red has no intentions of slowing down until it blankets the entire country with super-fast LTE, and at the rate it's going, that day will probably be pretty soon.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...te-network-by-13-new-cities-on-november-17th/

tino

Banned
Wrestlemania said:

iPhone has to stay with a relatively medium sized screen because the "back" action is performed at the top of the screen. It's very important to be able to reach the top of the screen all the time.

Not so for Android. The back action is at the bottom and new version of Android will move the notification bar to the bottom too. So its ok to use a big Android phone where you don't need to reach top half of the screen all the time.

Talon

The reach thing's a little overblown because you're not having to be accurate with the top edges very often. The main command up there is the usual back command at the top left and hitting anywhere on the top bar to scroll to the top and, with iOS5, pulling down Notification Center.

It could handle 4", but I understand why Apple doesn't want to fragment screen sizes from previous iPhones and current iPod Touches.

Android |OT| Big Phones for Big Thumbs

Even my girlfriend has no trouble with her HTC Sensation, and she's 5' tall with little girly hands. But then that image does have a hint of "I need to validate my purchase and subsequently dismiss its competitors" about it.

First pictures and details of the Galaxy S3 leaked.

4.6in screen, Super AMOLED Plus HD.
1.8 dualcore Exynos.
2gb RAM.
12MP back camera.
ICS and Touchwiz.

Pictures are on PHANDROID. I can't link since I'm on my N1.

Vyse The Legend said:

1.8 dualcore Exynos.
2gb RAM.
12MP back camera.
ICS and Touchwiz.

I've read the story and suspect that leak to be fake due to the inaccuracies on the slide. But who knows?

tfur

According to that graphic, your thumbs actually shrink when you touch an Android phone. Its both thinner and shorter...

Maybe its a subconscious thing from the guy who created the images.

kehs

Banned
2/3" sensor in a cell phone.

Awesome.

Welp, now I gotta wait even longer for a new phone.

-----------

Hey Google guys(I know you're here reading this), you now the "download only on wifi" setting in Google Music? Add it to the market, ass hats.

tfur said:
According to that graphic, your thumbs actually shrink when you touch an Android phone. Its both thinner and shorter...

Maybe its a subconscious thing from the guy who created the images.
When you grip a larger device, it lessens the range of your thumb.

Emily Chu

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:

1.8 dualcore Exynos.
2gb RAM.
12MP back camera.
ICS and Touchwiz.

and just like that google Nexus Prime is old fart... sigh...

looks like my Contract is up next June

lord knows there be Quad Core 2.0Ghz , 4GB RAM 15MB Camera etc by then

and possibly iPhone 5

these things are like a full fledge laptop now

FUCKING WOW!!

tfur

Wrestlemania said:

no.

Why would I hold the phone any differently. The pivot point, and location of my thumb does not change with the fractional size of the phone. That image is silly.

The only way you could rationalize this, is if the phone was considerably thicker.

Jeff-DSA

Wrestlemania said:

Go away. Your troll attempt failed and we've all been using larger screens already. We know it's not any harder to use them, and you're not going to convince us. The only person you're trying to win over is yourself.

Zapages

Wrestlemania said:

fourinches.png

I find the text keys are too small on the Iphone vs Galaxy S2. That is what pushed me to get the Galaxy S2.

I think it just depends on how you hold your phone for the range of your thumb. At least that is case with me as I can reach all the parts of the phone with no problem. *shrugs.* Plus I feel the large screen helps. :)

RdN

kinggroin said:
Android thread if perpetual waiting

I notice that, too.

People seem to never be happy with what they got.
Always talking about upgrading and stuff.. I mean, I also a gadget enthusiast, but sill, I don't get this obsession for new phones.

kinggroin

Banned
sionyboy said:
The real question should be "When are humans going to start getting a USB port implant to charge these devices?"

My body is ready.

All of a sudden, usb human interface device, makes so much more sense.

alternade

Emily Chu said:
and just like that google Nexus Prime is old fart... sigh...

looks like my Contract is up next June

lord knows there be Quad Core 2.0Ghz , 4GB RAM 15MB Camera etc by then

and possibly iPhone 5

these things are like a full fledge laptop now

FUCKING WOW!!

This is why I dont think the Prime will be that exciting aside from the fact that its new and will direct upgrades from google.

Jeff-DSA

RdN said:
I notice that, too.

Always talking about upgrading and stuff.. I mean, I also a gadget enthusiast, but sill, I don't get this obsession for new phones.

It's due to the fact that people get locked into 2-year agreements. Unless you want to pay the bigger price for off-contract phones, it's a big decision to finally settle on phone.

Doopliss

Wrestlemania said:
I normally hold my phone resting on my fingers (little finger supporting the bottom so it can't slip down), so the size of the phone doesn't make any difference to how far my thumb can reach. I only have trouble touching the far corner at the top, but I very rarely have to do that. When I do I just shift my grip slightly.

DMeisterJ said:
http://phandroi-the-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-further-details-leak-on-samsungs-next-flagship/

Granted we're looking at a pick of an E-mail, but the design of that thing looks ugly.
Yeah this is a total load of bollocks.

clav

RdN said:
I notice that, too.

Yeah, the talk about battery life in the Android operating system is hilarious if you've seen the trend.

Wait until Froyo.

Wait until Gingerbread.

Now, it's wait until Ice Cream Sandwich.

Battery life depends on the programs running in the background, so in some respect, it's the user's fault.

I have a friend who owns an iPhone and complains his battery life sucked. The solution was to turn off all those background gps apps as 40 programs were trying to find his location during the day inside an office building.

derder said:
They do. Both through talktime and mAh, which mean nothing by themselves.

mAh means capacity, but then you have to look at the phone at how much it uses.

Either way, I'm still waiting for that day that one-week battery life returns to cell phones.

Zeppu

Wrestlemania said:

Yes quoting this again.

That is really a goddamn stupid way to represent the range of the thumb.
First of all, while it doesn't really make a difference (it will when ICS is released) most of the people on the planet hold the phone in their right hand. Secondly, I don't really know anyone who holds their phone in that position. The thumb would be coming from the bottom right (or left) corner onto the centre of the screen. So if anything, having a larger screen in reality will affect you in terms of height since the natural thumb position is at the bottom.

Seriously. Does anyone hold the phone in the manner indicated? I.e. with your thumb resting at the vertical centre of the screen?

Cipherr

Circle T said:
Well, they're getting closer to you, Deadly Cyclone, but not quite all the way to Ames yet....

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...te-network-by-13-new-cities-on-november-17th/

Awww shit...

Kansas City and Springfield, MO

Damn son, I would love some of that LTE, but Verizons prices are bananas. And they dont have unlimited data.

And that Galaxy S3 phot is so fake, They even say this on the article.

It should be noted that this information is unconfirmed at this time, and we would be remiss to not point out a few obvious flaws in the actual image. The original Galaxy S is listed as shipping with an Exynos CPU and other typos can be found. Could this be a clever fake? It’s definitely possible. Take it with a grain of salt but the details seem pretty spot on in most respects.

I mean cmon, the slide misspelled "copying" It says 'No COPIYING', lol, horrible fake.

Jeff-DSA

I totally agree with user behavior being the biggest factor in battery life. Back when I got my Cliq, I had a friend and her husband return theirs because they couldn't get through the day on a single charge. I could EASILY go the day and I was up earlier than them and was more active on my phone throughout the day. They just had bad habits.

With my G2 I generally have it off the charger around 7:00am, use my GPS, and WiFi all day, play some games, check Facebook/Twitter often, have a few widgets going, and usually watch a handful of YouTube videos. I don't throw it on the charger until I go to bed around 1:00 or 2:00am and it's never died on me. I usually have about 15% charge left.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
josephdebono said:
Yes quoting this again.

That is really a goddamn stupid way to represent the range of the thumb.
First of all, while it doesn't really make a difference (it will when ICS is released) most of the people on the planet hold the phone in their right hand. Secondly, I don't really know anyone who holds their phone in that position. The thumb would be coming from the bottom right (or left) corner onto the centre of the screen. So if anything, having a larger screen in reality will affect you in terms of height since the natural thumb position is at the bottom.

Seriously. Does anyone hold the phone in the manner indicated? I.e. with your thumb resting at the vertical centre of the screen?

Actually I think most right handed people hold it in their left hand so they can interact with it with their right hand. Aside from that you're right, I don't hold it like the diagram.

MercuryLS

Banned
RdN said:
I notice that, too.

The biggest problem with Android is that there's always something better right around the corner. Look at the Nexus Prime, now the Samsung Galaxy S3 specs are leaked...when that comes out, I'm sure we'll be hearing about the next superphone.

Android handset makers need to space out their phones better if a newer model comes out every 6 months, it makes it very hard for people to know when to jump in. I remember wanting to get a Nexus S, then I heard about the Galaxy S2, now I'm hearing about the Nexus Prime and now we've got the Galaxy S3 being rumoured. I don't know when to jump in because of it.

Things are simpler in the Apple world. 4S is out now, a year from now there will be a new phone, jump in now or wait for the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom