• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
does anyone have the gmail apk from either gingerbread or ics I can install on google tv?

No it's not on the marketplace nor built in the OS. That doesn't stop me tho. I have 10 apps "not compatible" with gtv installed including G+, FB, and Voice.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Which is the best scientific calculator app for Android? And is there anything a bit more sophisticated, like a Maple light or something akin?

earlier in this thread I think I was warned about buying the Xperia Play...well I did, and you guys were right.

Biggest piece of shit phone Ive ever owned.

Al-ibn Kermit

Which is the best scientific calculator app for Android? And is there anything a bit more sophisticated, like a Maple light or something akin?
I use the free algeo calculator app which lets you do basic functions (but not derivatives/integrals as far as I know). There's also a Wolfram alpha app but I haven't bought it so I don't know how good it is.

Cruceh

Banned

Neocal Advanced is the absolute best. It has everything you could possibly need.

Anyway, I just flashed ICS onto my Vibrant and it is awesome. Everything works, everything is smooth, and I'm so happy with it. I can hold off buying a SGS2 now, and instead hold out for the superior SGS3 in probably half a year. Can't wait.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
My camera is failing to start. I was using camera fx, when I think it asked to upgrade, I just choose ignore and it force closed. Now my stock camera won't launched. And with fx, it says error code 1. Telling me to download a taskkiller.

Anyone had this situation before?

thespot84

I use the free algeo calculator app which lets you do basic functions (but not derivatives/integrals as far as I know). There's also a Wolfram alpha app but I haven't bought it so I don't know how good it is.

wolfram is fantastic when it works. It has the full functionality of the website on the phone.

Works great on my GN, however on my OG droid it started freaking out when I installed swiftkey, YMMV

So the Galaxy S is officially not getting 4.0? That fucking sucks. Looks like it's time to start reading up on rooting =/ What would be the best way to get 4.0 on the S eventually? The Cyanogenmod thing? Going to read up on it if so.
Dude, that phone is a year old. You didn't really expect to get any new updates, right?
This is what is wrong with today's world. The updated version is still being advertised like CRAZY everyplace and everywhere. It's different versions have sold millions and propelled Samsung into the number 1 spot when it comes to Android phones. It's retarded that one of the biggest phone releases in the last few years is not getting this update. It's nothing more than a cheap trick to get everyone to migrate to newer phones if they really want 4.0.

So the Galaxy S is officially not getting 4.0? That fucking sucks. Looks like it's time to start reading up on rooting =/ What would be the best way to get 4.0 on the S eventually? The Cyanogenmod thing? Going to read up on it if so.

You don't have the Vibrant, do you? Because if you do, I have some bad news...

GT-I9001. I'm from Europe so we don't have the fancy named versions of US carriers =) It's just called Galaxy S Plus here. Do I get good or bad news? :p

I think your phone is the last Galaxy S model left standing when it comes to cyanogenmod support. They recently dropped the vibrant due to issues with 911.

I think your phone is the last model left standing when it comes to cyanogenmod support. They recently dropped the vibrant due to issues with 911.
Aha, well I've been reading about it a bit, but it seems like it'll still be a while before I'll bite the 4.0 bullet and try to see if I can get it on my phone. Really sucks that there are so many different versions of the phone though. Wish everyone could just get an update like the Nexus S which apparently is basically the same hardware. Fucking Touchwiz bullshit.

Omiee

i heard about this new firmware update that makes a htc sensation like android 4.

how do i install something like that on my htc?

Guys i need some help,

So i would like to test this video before releasing an update and because i just payed 30$ for a proper video converter.

Thanks in advance and if anyone can shed some light on why my current h.264 encoded video won't play on some devices i would be glad to receive some advice.

Not working on the Droid X

My camera is failing to start. I was using camera fx, when I think it asked to upgrade, I just choose ignore and it force closed. Now my stock camera won't launched. And with fx, it says error code 1. Telling me to download a taskkiller.

Anyone had this situation before?

I don't know why it would tell you to get a task killer. That sounds suspicious. I've never actually witnessed an android user getting malware, but maybe thats it.

jokkir

People who said that the Nexus S had bad battery life after upgrading to ICS wasn't kidding. I went to sleep with the battery at 81% and woke up 4-5 hours later with around 72% left. I have no idea what was killing the battery but it was. Here's a screenshot of my battery usage:

1Afht.png

q5s7O.png

I remember exactly putting it away when it was 81% but something was still killing my battery. Before on Gingerbread, maybe 2-3% was gone after the 4-5 hours but not on ICS :(

Gabyskra

Banned
So what is the best looking weather app on Android? I know a couple, but I don't know one that really is pleasing to the eyes... I use Simiclock for the widget, I just want it to open a good app when i tap it.

I remember exactly putting it away when it was 81% but something was still killing my battery. Before on Gingerbread, maybe 2-3% was gone after the 4-5 hours but not on ICS :(
Did anyone have access to your phone while you slept? If not, then that's incredibly weird. I thought people were getting battery life increases with ICS.

Threi

notag
So what is the best looking weather app on Android? I know a couple, but I don't know one that really is pleasing to the eyes... I use Simiclock for the widget, I just want it to open a good app when i tap it.

You can set Simi Widget to open any app you want. Personally I have it set to open the "News and Weather" app, it came with my phone.

Cudder

I was not thinking about a widget, more about when the app is open... Can't remember if BW is good when open or if that's doable with simiclock, i bought it like two years ago...
When you click on the widget, it does open a forecast. And it does look pretty. :)

Just got into Google Music officially... Really slick UI on the site. Currently uploading some songs to test it out. Looks good so far, though!

I live in a country where I can't buy paid apps, if I use Market Enabler can I buy apps using my non-US credit card?

Also, is the root persistent after updating? How can you "un-root"?

Gabyskra

Banned
You can set Simi Widget to open any app you want. Personally I have it set to open the "News and Weather" app, it came with my phone.

Yes, that's what I'm doing and I'm looking for the best looking weather information in app, after the widgets gets me there. :)

jokkir

Yup, it happened again on day 2 of my testing. I put it 61% and woke up 6 hours later with the battery drained 10% down to 51%. Here's my battery usage:

jb0QE2IoEJtQNH.png

jvfugfFlpWEjO.png

Where you see the WiFi turn off is when I went to sleep and stopped touching my phone. For some reason, it starts dipping even more for a few hours then levels out near the end. I have no idea wtf is happening with this :\. I might switch back to Gingerbread for now because of this.

gcubed

The rollout was stopped due to this. Wait for the fix from google and if its killing the phone flash back to gingerbread

Danj

Can anyone recommend a good location-aware automation app? For example I'd like to be able to do stuff like have my phone automatically switch to silent mode when I'm at the cinema, or remind me to do stuff when I leave work, or automatically check in to Foursquare at certain locations. I'm pretty sure those kinds of things are possible, just not sure what is the best app for it. My phone is an LG Optimus 2X running Gingerbread.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Can anyone recommend a good location-aware automation app? For example I'd like to be able to do stuff like have my phone automatically switch to silent mode when I'm at the cinema, or remind me to do stuff when I leave work, or automatically check in to Foursquare at certain locations. I'm pretty sure those kinds of things are possible, just not sure what is the best app for it. My phone is an LG Optimus 2X running Gingerbread.

Tasker.

Bollocks

Am I retarded or is there really no way to group icons on the homescreen on the Galaxy Tab 10.1? Do I really have to wait for 4.0?

kehs

Banned
Yup, it happened again on day 2 of my testing. I put it 61% and woke up 6 hours later with the battery drained 10% down to 51%. Here's my battery usage:

http://i.minus.com/jb0QE2IoEJtQNH.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/jvfugfFlpWEjO.png[IMG]

Where you see the WiFi turn off is when I went to sleep and stopped touching my phone. For some reason, it starts dipping even more for a few hours then levels out near the end. I have no idea wtf is happening with this :\. I might switch back to Gingerbread for now because of this.[/QUOTE]

Why are you turning off wifi when you go to bed? When you turn off wifi, the 3g radio kicks back in. The 3g radio uses more battery than wifi radio.

[quote="Danj, post: 33736092"]Can anyone recommend a good location-aware automation app? For example I'd like to be able to do stuff like have my phone automatically switch to silent mode when I'm at the cinema, or remind me to do stuff when I leave work, or automatically check in to Foursquare at certain locations. I'm pretty sure those kinds of things are possible, just not sure what is the best app for it. My phone is an LG Optimus 2X running Gingerbread.[/QUOTE]

Llama or Tasker

[quote="Bollocks, post: 33737017"]Am I retarded or is there really no way to group icons on the homescreen on the Galaxy Tab 10.1? Do I really have to wait for 4.0?[/QUOTE]

Yup, the default launcher doesn't have folder support. You can however use a replacement launcher with folder support.

Zeppu

It's ridiculous no one's mentioned anything about ICS on the Tab 10.1 except that mysterious message from Cyanogen a while ago.

jayb

Why are you turning off wifi when you go to bed? When you turn off wifi, the 3g radio kicks back in. The 3g radio uses more battery than wifi radio.

Llama or Tasker

Yup, the default launcher doesn't have folder support. You can however use a replacement launcher with folder support.
Wait, you can't long press and add a new folder like on phones?

Kagami

That's true in and of itself, but depending on the nature of the wi-fi you're on, it's possible for LAN packets to keep waking up the phone, which is worse for battery drain than the mobile data connection (at least non-LTE).
I have that problem now with my new router. Setting the wi-fi to turn off unless plugged in actually saves me power now, even with mobile data left on (though I try to remember to turn mobile data off when at home--too bad Google in their infinite wisdom decided to remove the ability for apps to control that, without adding in any OS suported way of automating it like the wi-fi sleep setting).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom