• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
only problem I am having with 4.0.3 on the nexus s is the stock browser can be a bit crashy.

battery life and general OS performance is just dandy.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Okay, I am making the Android App recommendation thread, will be up later this week.

Any recommendations for what to put in the OP? I have a list that's like 40 apps long at the moment.

blitz64

It's christmas and my office is pretty empty these 2 weeks. I'm guessing google is as well so I don't see any updates until after new year for android 4.0.3

Okay, I am making the Android App recommendation thread, will be up later this week.

Any recommendations for what to put in the OP? I have a list that's like 40 apps long at the moment.

Will all them be utility/tool-based apps? I was disappointed that the 10 cent sales were 90% games.

Ninhead

Just got a Toshiba Thrive. Is there anywhere other than the Android Market that I can buy movie download? I know I can rip DVDs, but long story short, that is not an option.

Divvy

Just got a Toshiba Thrive. Is there anywhere other than the Android Market that I can buy movie download? I know I can rip DVDs, but long story short, that is not an option.

The blockbuster app lets you rent or buy digital movies. Is that what you're after?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Please have market links and a general description. And please keep it updated! Date the recommendation updates. That would be incredibly helpful to know what's still good and what's been surpassed.

Thanks!

Ninhead

The blockbuster app lets you rent or buy digital movies. Is that what you're after?

Potentially. I'm just pissed that after all these years of redeeming my digital copies from my blu-rays, they're essentially worthless. I should've just held out for an iPad, but got a pretty good deal on my Thrive, and at this point, it's pretty much my only con for it.

rpmurphy

If you have anything recommended for tablets as well, please put a note or mark beside each app! Thanks for doing the thread.

Divvy

Potentially. I'm just pissed that after all these years of redeeming my digital copies from my blu-rays, they're essentially worthless. I should've just held out for an iPad, but got a pretty good deal on my Thrive, and at this point, it's pretty much my only con for it.

Can't you just copy those digital copies over onto the tablet?

jokkir

Okay, I'll try the WiFi thing tonight. I might also try doing a factory reset and reflashing back 4.0.3 to see if that helps

Danj

Is there an official msn app for android? I just don't trust a 3rd party app.

also is this really the official app for hotmail?

it's by Microsoft + seven ...

https://market.android.com/details?...lt#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5ob3RtYWlsLlo3Il0.

also happy holidays :)

Seems legit. Also at least on the PC my experience is that third party IM clients are better than the official one anyway. I've used Trillian for years and never looked back, and now it's on Android too with continuous client capability (which is not something you get in official clients).

zoku88

There's android vnc viewer. (this is the name of the app)

And you can download a vnc server for your OS (wtv that is.)

The VNC server should tell you the settings you need for the android vnc viewer to connect to it.

I find this sorta slow though, at least on my network. No idea why... VNC stuff is so fast at work..

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Trillian is hands-down my most trusted 3rd party chat..company. Been using their software for close to ten years now, it seems.

I was surprised after a recent hiatus how much they had improved the software and added...everything.

Danj

Trillian is hands-down my most trusted 3rd party chat..company. Been using their software for close to ten years now, it seems.

I was surprised after a recent hiatus how much they had improved the software and added...everything.

The whole continuous client thing is the best thing ever, being able to start a conversation on PC, continue it on mobile while I'm out, then pick it back up again on the PC when I get home is awesome. Automatically synced contact lists are great too.

vio

Updated my Nexus S to ICS and one thing is really annoying about it. Gallery is showing ALL images found on phone. Images from games and apps also, whatever is found ..it is in the gallery.
Any way to hide unwanted images/albums?

Bollocks

Wait, you can't long press and add a new folder like on phones?

Yes, if you're running Android < 4.0 it depends on the manufacturer whether their custom UI supports it, HTC Sense does, Samsung TouchWhiz doesn't(at least on the 10.1), starting with 4.0 it is now a stock Android feature.
Luckily Samsung will update the 10.1 to 4.0

catmincer

"LG will be offering the Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) OS upgrade for a range of LG smart-phones which were introduced this year. The global upgrade schedule will begin in the second and third quarters of 2012, which will be followed by a global roll out.

During the second quarter of 2012 upgrades will begin for the following smartphone models: the LG Optimus LTE, Prada phone by LG 3.0, the LG Optimus 2X, the LG Optimus Sol, the LG my Touch Q and the LG Eclipse. These upgrades will be followed by upgrades for the following smartphone models during the third quarter of 2012: the LG Optimus 3D, the LG Optimus Black, the LG Optimus Big, the LG Optimus Q2 and the LG Optimus EX.

LG will be taking all possible measure to offer a smooth OS upgrade in a timely manner. The exact start dates can vary by market, as each country can have different requirements, depending on the carrier and the smartphone model.

LG would like to thank its customers for their most valued loyalty and support. Further details on the ICS OS upgrade, including their exact start dates, will be released prior to their commencement. Please stay tuned for more updates from LG.

Thank you."

From Facebook page.

Has anyone tried getting unlimited data on AT&T through this method?

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/06/28/back-on-att-unlimited-data-plan/

Just wondering if it still works.

"LG will be offering the Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) OS upgrade for a range of LG smart-phones which were introduced this year. The global upgrade schedule will begin in the second and third quarters of 2012, which will be followed by a global roll out.

Riiiiiight.

When a few people over at XDA can get ICS running on a variety of handsets, and a multi-national like LG will take up to 9 months to get it done, you know that deep down they really couldn't give a shit. They must've delegated the task to a monkey in their basement.

Revoh

I don't know nothing about Micro SD cards, what brand should I get for my Galaxy S? And what does the different classes mean?

kinggroin

Banned

Just a suggestion, but perhaps you could header groups of app by function? Like media player apps and utilities apps. Also a brief description for each. Its your thread, but I figure Id throw a suggestion or two to help folks who are new to the platform.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
well this is weird, i was with the 2.3.6 on my S2, the battery was balls and the data connection kept dropping for a few secs.

Now im back to 2.3.4 and the phone charges quickers, battery lfe is better and i dont have that many problems with the data connection :)

I cant wait for ICS for the S2

fmcato

Pctx

Banned
GTA 3 on my Skyrocket is F to the U to the C to the K to the ING amazing! Seriously, PS2 graphics on a phone.... gotta say I'm impressed.

Circle T

Has anyone tried getting unlimited data on AT&T through this method?

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/06/28/back-on-att-unlimited-data-plan/

Just wondering if it still works.

Doesn't work any more. Just tried the other day with a buddy's 2G.

The iPhone 2G used to be activated through iTunes, where you would then give it your phone number, and select the $20/Unlimited plan. Now though, all that iTunes does is unbrick the iPhone and activate it. Any plan/feature changes are done through att.com. You now just get the $15/200MB plan, with no options to choose the $20/Unlimited.

Pctx

Banned
I keep getting text messages about needing a tethering plan after Easy Tether Pro was installed. Gotta love it.

Divvy

Just a suggestion, but perhaps you could header groups of app by function? Like media player apps and utilities apps. Also a brief description for each. Its your thread, but I figure Id throw a suggestion or two to help folks who are new to the platform.

Yup, i am already doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom