• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
What was it even about? I got 6 minutes in and all I got was him repeating it invades your contacts which he never explained what it meant and how he can't show you and zoomed in so far you couldn't see anything.

They invade your contacts, do you need to know anything more?

the best part is the end, he says he loves the phone and recommends it!

Haha, I didn't make it to the end, I stopped watching to write a strongly worded letter asking Google to explain why they're invading my contacts.

I will say one thing, pulse seems to run pretty smooth on that, my pulse tends to chug around.

I thought there was some tweet going around that said for s2 users to rejoice that in Jan 2012 they would start making full use of the gpu (It said the name but I forget what it was) and everyone said it meant the ICS update? I guess it didn't then? I saw it when I was googling that and the nexus the other day. I can try to find the tweet again if you want.

That would be for the original gs2 I9100 international version, which convert easiest with the At&t sgh-i777 version.

I don't know why Samsung made so many variations of the GS2, which kinda split up the developers group. ....dayam carriers..

Donos

Im sending my n1 back first thing in the morning.

for two seconds i thought my (rather new) Notebook display is fucked because of your avatar.

Got Sense 3.0 with an OTA update for my Desire HD. The few changes are nice but nothing special. One thing i noticed is that switching through the homescreens is definitly smoother. But that's because you can switch through all the homescreens in one direction and at the last one it loops to the first again. Therefor my (960x800) wallpapers are all static now. They don't move/scroll the whole way with the change of the homescreens. So 960px wallpapers are useless because the 240px left and right from the middle won't show. That's really shitty.
It's really time for a Nexus.

zedge

Hmmm...I don't get all the touchwiz hate. I think ICS is not all that...

I'm with you, my GS2 with Touchwiz is faster and smoother than the Galaxy Nexus I played with. Add a live wallpaper to the Galaxy Nexus and its laughable..its nice phone don't get me wrong but I am glad I stuck with my GS2, it will be a dream with ICS in the background.

That would be for the original gs2 I9100 international version, which convert easiest with the At&t sgh-i777 version.

I don't know why Samsung made so many variations of the GS2, which kinda split up the developers group. ....dayam carriers..

Ah, so US has to wait even after that gets released? So needlessly confusing. WTF.

for two seconds i thought my (rather new) Notebook display is fucked because of your avatar.

Got Sense 3.0 with an OTA update for my Desire HD. The few changes are nice but nothing special. One thing i noticed is that switching through the homescreens is definitly smoother. But that's because you can switch through all the homescreens in one direction and at the last one it loops to the first again. Therefor my (960x800) wallpapers are all static now. They don't move/scroll the whole way with the change of the homescreens. So 960px wallpapers are useless because the 240px left and right from the middle won't show. That's really shitty.
It's really time for a Nexus.
they did what!? in the latest TouchWiz updates, you can scroll thru all the homescreens and loop around and the wallpaper moves, it just jumps all the way from 1 end to the other when you go from #7 to #1 or vice versa...

I'm with you, my GS2 with Touchwiz is faster and smoother than the Galaxy Nexus I played with. Add a live wallpaper to the Galaxy Nexus and its laughable..its nice phone don't get me wrong but I am glad I stuck with my GS2, it will be a dream with ICS in the background.

Yup, plus mine is overclocked to 1.4ghz and its smoother than the Galaxy Nexus. BUT...I will see how the Nexus is when I put a custom rom....might see an improvement.

Ah, so US has to wait even after that gets released? So needlessly confusing. WTF.

Unless you have the sgh-i777 At&t version which is the closest one to the international version.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to buy the Transformer Prime and it will be my first Android product. I currently have the iPhone 4 so I'm used to ios. What should I expect with Android pros/cons wise? I have no biases and I'm pretty excited to try out the Android tablet. Also, what's so great about Ice Cream Sandwich? I apologize for the super newb questions.

Sky Chief

Right now I have a hard time deciding which screen is better.

The super amoled plus on the GS2 is so much more vibrant in color which make image seem 3D, remind me of my plasma TV.

The super amoled HD pentile on the GN is more neutral, not as washed out as the 4S, still vibrant but softer than the GS2 screen..makes picture looks more natural?

Skin tone seem to be yellowish on the GS2 while its pinkish on the GN.

I've compared the same HD movies side by side on a GN and Epic Touch 4G and in every way (resolution, naturalness of colors, overall brightness, etc...) the GN shits all over the GS2. The difference is night and day. Maybe it is different on other GS2 morsels but even my buddy agreed that his screen looks like shit compared to the GN. The resolution alone is night and day, the Epic Touch's screen is so pixelated in comparison.

I've compared the same HD movies side by side on a GN and Epic Touch 4G and in every way (resolution, naturalness of colors, overall brightness, etc...) the GN shits all over the GS2. The difference is night and day. Maybe it is different on other GS2 morsels but even my buddy agreed that his screen looks like shit compared to the GN. The resolution alone is night and day, the Epic Touch's screen is so pixelated in comparison.

The GS2 with the 4.52inch variation screen is more pixelize than the 4.3 inch variation.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
So I'm having trouble downloading things from the Amazon appstore. Everytime I try to download something, it keeps telling me to set a payment method. Now the thing I'm trying to download is free but even when I put my info in, it still says I need to put in a payment method.

Any one have any advice?

Also I have an HTC Incredible 2 if that makes a difference.

Edit- nevermind problem solved.

Circle T

Gotta say, I can't tell much difference between the GSII and the Nexus in day-to-day usage, personally. I currently have the GSII as my work phone, and with it setup almost identically to my Nexus, they both perform pretty much identical. Both are really quick, powerful phones that are nice to use. But that's just me.

alternade

Gotta say, I can't tell much difference between the GSII and the Nexus in day-to-day usage, personally. I currently have the GSII as my work phone, and with it setup almost identically to my Nexus, they both perform pretty much identical. Both are really quick, powerful phones that are nice to use. But that's just me.

Im going to play with a nexus tonight. Ive had my GS2 for a month.

I'm going to buy the Transformer Prime and it will be my first Android product. I currently have the iPhone 4 so I'm used to ios. What should I expect with Android pros/cons wise? I have no biases and I'm pretty excited to try out the Android tablet. Also, what's so great about Ice Cream Sandwich? I apologize for the super newb questions.

Expect to be excited with all that you can customize with the OS right from the start. You have a nice choice of browsers and the Google apps are all great. Also try out some live wallpaper backgrounds.

The GS2 is definitely faster and smoother than the galaxy nexus. Ive loaded some I high res pictures to the gallary and I can change picture to picture without any hiccup and lag on the GS2. The GN there's hiccups and you can see it still rendering the picture when switching back and forth.

Also I'm not getting any live wallpaper issues with the GN.

kinggroin

Banned
The GS2 is definitely faster and smoother than the galaxy nexus. Ive loaded some I high res pictures to the gallary and I can change picture to picture without any hiccup and lag on the GS2. The GN there's hiccups and you can see it still rendering the picture when switching back and forth.

Also I'm not getting any live wallpaper issues with the GN.

The gs2 is definitely the faster phone, but any lag issues with the gallery are fixed with 4.0.3 fyi.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
My first post on gaf using my transformer prime. :)

secondapp/neogaf is cool and all, but android really needs a native neogaf app

Kerrinck

Thinking of getting a note and would appreciate some feedback. Since I will be importing, I have never seen the thing besides on pictures and videos.
1: I saw some reviews saying that you look weird when using it as a phone. Is this true? Have some bad memories of Side Talking.
2: Can it effectively replace a tablet or is the screen not big enough for that?

Donos

they did what!? in the latest TouchWiz updates, you can scroll thru all the homescreens and loop around and the wallpaper moves, it just jumps all the way from 1 end to the other when you go from #7 to #1 or vice versa...

Yep, that would be nice but it just only shows the middle part of the wallpaper (starting homescreen). I don't know if it's a bug but i don't think so. You couldn't loop from the last homescreen to the first before Sense 3.0. You had to flip back or zoom out.

I've tried all the HTC backgrounds and the live wallpapers but no move at all while switching. :(

I'm going to check youtube with reviews of the dualcore HTCs with Sense 3.5 and see if it's still there.
I don't want to live in a world where TouchWiz > Sense :)

Edit: yeah, they removed it because of the new "3D" effect while scrolling thru homescreens. bullshit. But it works again with go launcher or launcher pro.

Time to leave the HTC ship till they go back to deliver true high-end phones instead of putting out 2423 modell variants every quarter.

Sarcasm

I am pretty set on not getting a tablet due to

the Galaxy Note.

Will it get ICS?

If I get a tablet it be the new prime transformer or the google one.

PARANO1A

Where is the best place to learn about upcoming handsets? I am due for a phone and 99% sold on the Nexus however I would like to learn more about what is on the horizon... especially since it isn't a massive step up in performance over long existing phones. I love ics on my Desire and Iconia but will wait a few months for a top handset if it is only a few months away.

One other question... have there been any benchmarks of early builds of ICS on the GS2? How do they compare to the GN?

Blackhead

Redarse
Um, how do I use qr codes on the device?

What's the best dictionary app?
What's the best unarchiver app—one that handles everything from.rar to password protected .7z?

Is it possible to choose the apps that show up in the share menu?

kinggroin

Banned
Um, how do I use qr codes on the device?

What's the best dictionary app?
What's the best unarchiver app—one that handles everything from.rar to password protected .7z?

Is it possible to choose the apps that show up in the share menu?

Root explorer is a damn fine file manager that also handles zip compression and file exctraction.

My first post on gaf using my transformer prime. :)

secondapp/neogaf is cool and all, but android really needs a native neogaf app

What function are you missing? Notifications?

I'm using the Tapatalk version of some forums, like XDA, and they're nowhere near as good as Mobile NeoGAF. Heck, Mobile NeoGAF is better in some ways than the desktop site.

Futureman

Are there .apks for ICS Gmail, Voice, Maps, Calendar, or YouTube?

And maybe an updated ICS keyboard? Mine doesn't capitalize the letter "I" properly.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
honestly on my transformer I just use the desktop site....have you tried that?

I have, but I just find the mobile neogaf portal to be a much smoother experience. I haven't received my transformer keyboard dock yet so that may help when I do. But I love the way secondapps formats neogaf on my screen, and key function buttons like quote and reply are bigger. No pinch to zoom needed.

What function are you missing? Notifications?

I'm using the Tapatalk version of some forums, like XDA, and they're nowhere near as good as Mobile NeoGAF. Heck, Mobile NeoGAF is better in some ways than the desktop site.

No features really missing. I just like the formatting. Though multiple quoting, pm notifications, and and subscribed thread shortcuts would be cool.

Sarcasm

Here is Samsung's official word on the devices that they will be updating. As mentioned before, these are the unlocked devices that THEY will be updating. Any carrier-branded devices will, ultimately, be up to those carriers as to what gets updates. But yes, the Note is getting it....

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=8894

Phones here are unlocked even if bought through a carrier. Basically over here its Buy Phone than find carrier.

So SWEET BOOYAH

methane47

So i just rceived my first ever android device (Galaxy Tab)!!!

Now anyone has any tips or tricks that i can use to enhance my experience?

secondly just a complaint. I tried downloading google currents and i would get an error msg saying the app could not be found. I then went to the market via a website and i saw an error msg saying that currents was not compatible with my tab!! I did a quick search and found a diff market link. After going to that the msg i got was that it was not available in my country!!

:-:)-:)-(

Realy sucks! Butwhy did i have to go through so much trouble to find proper information about compatibility!? And why is a google made product not available inthe caribbean :-(

Made this post on my tab :)

Sarcasm

So i just rceived my first ever android device (Galaxy Tab)!!!

Now anyone has any tips or tricks that i can use to enhance my experience?

secondly just a complaint. I tried downloading google currents and i would get an error msg saying the app could not be found. I then went to the market via a website and i saw an error msg saying that currents was not compatible with my tab!! I did a quick search and found a diff market link. After going to that the msg i got was that it was not available in my country!!

:-:)-:)-(

Realy sucks! Butwhy did i have to go through so much trouble to find proper information about compatibility!? And why is a google made product not available inthe caribbean :-(

Made this post on my tab :)

You can always download the app on your PC, put it on the device and install it that way.

Circle T

Phones here are unlocked even if bought through a carrier. Basically over here its Buy Phone than find carrier.

So SWEET BOOYAH
Understood. I was more saying that for other people who might read that, and wonder why some newish carrier devices aren't listed.

Chris R

Is there an app (preferably that doesn't cost money or require jail breaking) that can diagnose your cellular connection? My phone basically only works 10% of the time when I'm at home now, even though I'm showing 3/4 bars constantly. I think my phone company is screwing with me because the phone works perfectly every where else :|

Damn, think my phone got hacked. Got a couple random ad type things on my notifications bar and thought nothing of it at first but then I got a random reply from an email saying the email I sent them was blank. Looked in my sent items and sure enough my email was sending a bunch of emails to flagged craigslist ads.

Not sure really how this happened, I haven't gotten any new apps in a while except for the $.10 apps and never got any suspicious emails besides the one mentioned.

Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom