• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1chard

So it's pretty much confirmed: ICS killed the GPS in my Nexus S (I9020 running build IML74K). It just flat-out doesn't work any more. Tried a bunch of tools to poke at it / reset it / AGPS it and it just doesn't see satellites.

I've reported this to my Google buddies so we'll see, but given that release of that build of ICS was halted due to other problems (battery drain / high CPU use) I guess I'll just have to hope they fix the GPS problem in the next release as well...

I'm looking at options for moving away from 4.0.3 - kinda hoping that the CyanogenMod folk fix the GPS issue and get a release out before I do anything else :)

Ashhong

yup, using stock band on the GN, haven't rooted it yet.

Auto brightness on the GN sucks ...way too dark!

but I was lucky enough to get one with no screen flaws.

I find this to be the case for the S2 as well though. Maybe its because it is my first OLED screen, but if its not on max brightness it just looks so dim and unimpressive. I wish there was a way to set what the baseline value for auto brightness is.

thespot84

I find this to be the case for the S2 as well though. Maybe its because it is my first OLED screen, but if its not on max brightness it just looks so dim and unimpressive. I wish there was a way to set what the baseline value for auto brightness is.

where there's a root there's a way....

The GS2 auto brightness is bearable, the GN just plain sucks.

Camera GS2 vs. GN: Still impress with zero shutter lag, I might actually prefer it over the superior picture quality of the GS2. The flash actually non eye blinding bright like the GS2.

Battery life seems like 10 to 20 percent less than the GS2.

I'm still not convince with ICS.

running Task650 ICS theme base rom on the GS2. Faster and smoother overall with more options.

clav

So it's pretty much confirmed: ICS killed the GPS in my Nexus S (I9020 running build IML74K). It just flat-out doesn't work any more. Tried a bunch of tools to poke at it / reset it / AGPS it and it just doesn't see satellites.

I've reported this to my Google buddies so we'll see, but given that release of that build of ICS was halted due to other problems (battery drain / high CPU use) I guess I'll just have to hope they fix the GPS problem in the next release as well...

I'm looking at options for moving away from 4.0.3 - kinda hoping that the CyanogenMod folk fix the GPS issue and get a release out before I do anything else :)

Flash a newer radio.

That's how the GPS problem is solved on Windows Mobile 5/6.5 phones.

reKon

Banned
WhatsApp's wifi texting worked in the old incredible I had, but now for the Nexus, I always get a message warning that the person who I wish to text from my contacts doesn't have WhatsApp so I can't wifi text anyone anymore =[

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
What is the best Android app review site? What about best site for just game reviews? Super excited to get my Transformer Prime!

Ashhong

where there's a root there's a way....

I am rooted...do you know of an app that sets the baseline for auto-brightness?

The thing I also noticed, is that it is really sensitive. I was sitting down and using it, and it would dim so much. I tilt it like a centimeter and it goes back to bright. And its not even a nice smooth transition :( It's the little things dammit!

thespot84

The thing I also noticed, is that it is really sensitive. I was sitting down and using it, and it would dim so much. I tilt it like a centimeter and it goes back to bright. And its not even a nice smooth transition :( It's the little things dammit!

I don't, I'm just sure that somewhere deep down in some config file in /sys there's a number you can change....

Husker86

I'm using Axiom ROM and it comes with the CM7 tool that lets you adjust auto brightness levels...I love the phone more now!

Ashhong

I'm using Axiom ROM and it comes with the CM7 tool that lets you adjust auto brightness levels...I love the phone more now!

:O sadly I am not on CM7. I have settled for turning off auto brightness and now just adjust the brightness by sliding my finger across the notification bar. I read that the SG2 sensor is also really sensitive, so this solves my other problem of it being erratic sometimes.

Husker86

:O sadly I am not on CM7. I have settled for turning off auto brightness and now just adjust the brightness by sliding my finger across the notification bar. I read that the SG2 sensor is also really sensitive, so this solves my other problem of it being erratic sometimes.

It isn't a CM ROM, it just happens to include the tool. If you decided to root you might as well check it out.

MrBig

The current browser support on Android is pretty terrible.
I've used Opera, Dolphin (HD and the Tablet version), Firefox, and the default browser quite a bit, and none of them can perfectly render and interact with a page. Firefox has the best support so far, but there is no user agent settings so if a site has a mobile version you're stuck using that.
Honeycomb has been out for a long time, and there are plenty of tablets around. Why isn't there a tablet browser that can take advantage of them?

I wish samsung can plan there galaxy device launches with the US... instead of waiting 6 - 8 months then releasing it in the states.

This is the fault of the American carriers and has nothing to do with Samsung.

The default auto-brightness on Tuna is so low because it is an unbelievable battery genocider. The screen is always >40% of my battery use on mine. 1280x720 resolution screen is amazing but they really need to figure out how to get the battery use down on these gigantic HD resolution screens.

surly

Banned
Can anyone recommend a good music player app that can do gapless playback please? I've tried PowerAMP, which seems great, but I don't like that there's no way to view your library by album artist, so any recommendation other than that would be great. It doesn't matter if it's not free.

Angst

Can anyone recommend a good music player app that can do gapless playback please? I've tried PowerAMP, which seems great, but I don't like that there's no way to view your library by album artist, so any recommendation other than that would be great. It doesn't matter if it's not free.

You can view your library by genre, album or artist in PowerAMP.

surly

Banned
You can view your library by genre, album or artist in PowerAMP.
Yep, but not album artist.

For instance, I have one of my mixtapes on my phone and it's split into 41 tracks. The album artist field for every track is "Sigma", my DJ name. The artist field is the artist that performed each of the 41 tracks, so it's different for each track. I want to be able to browse by album artist, which is the way the default Android music player works, but it only gives you an option to browse by artist in PowerAMP. It's a requested feature here, so hopefully the author will add it at some point, cos it's great otherwise: -

http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/1735-album-artist-tag-support/

Angst

Yep, but not album artist.

For instance, I have one of my mixtapes on my phone and it's split into 41 tracks. The album artist field for every track is "Sigma", my DJ name. The artist field is the artist that performed each of the 41 tracks, so it's different for each track. I want to be able to browse by album artist, which is the way the default Android music player works, but it only gives you an option to browse by artist in PowerAMP. It's a requested feature here, so hopefully the author will add it at some point, cos it's great otherwise: -

http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/1735-album-artist-tag-support/

Aah, ok, I didn't know that. The thing with PowerAMP is that it uses it's own media playback libraries, thus enabling gapless tracks. AFAIK the other music players uses Android's playback libraries, which means no gapless tracks.

Have you tried Winamp? It seems like the pro version has gapless playback:

Pro Bundle Features - $4.99 In-App Purchase
* 10-band graphic equalizer
* Customizable home screen
* Browse by Folder
* Crossfade
* Gapless playback

Doesn't say anything about album artist though.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nullsoft.winamp

EDIT: apparently it's $2.99 right now.

Angst

It's just called CyanogenMod settings.

AFAIK you can only get it by installing CyanogenMod or an AOSP ROM built from CM. It might also be included in other ROMs or if the ROM you have has a kitchen it might be an option. I don't think you can download it as an apk.

surly

Banned
Aah, ok, I didn't know that. The thing with PowerAMP is that it uses it's own media playback libraries, thus enabling gapless tracks. AFAIK the other music players uses Android's playback libraries, which means no gapless tracks.

Have you tried Winamp? It seems like the pro version has gapless playback:

Doesn't say anything about album artist though.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nullsoft.winamp

EDIT: apparently it's $2.99 right now.
Thanks, I've just tried it and it seems pretty good, but it also only supports browsing by Artist and not Album Artist.

The 4 or 5 apps that I've tried that do gapless playback are clearly reading from the album artist field as they display that info when you play a file - they just don't allow you to browse by it for some reason. There are requests for it on the Winamp and PowerAMP forums, so maybe there's some restriction that prevents them from adding it.

Husker86

AFAIK you can only get it by installing CyanogenMod or an AOSP ROM built from CM. It might also be included in other ROMs or if the ROM you have has a kitchen it might be an option. I don't think you can download it as an apk.

Yea thats weird, never seen that settings menu outside of a CM7 rom. Oh well.

Ok, yeah it's a 4.0.3 AOSP build (AXI0M). I really didn't want to get into custom ROMs with this phone because I become a flash-addict but I figured what the hell, might as well stay up on the latest releases as they come out.

Thanks, I've just tried it and it seems pretty good, but it also only supports browsing by Artist and not Album Artist.

The 4 or 5 apps that I've tried that do gapless playback are clearly reading from the album artist field as they display that info when you play a file - they just don't allow you to browse by it for some reason. There are requests for it on the Winamp and PowerAMP forums, so maybe there's some restriction that prevents them from adding it.

maybe there's a patent!

equap

Banned
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RAX9OQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Warp Dash
41ZkFM5rfnL._AA300_.jpg

if you like dubstep and wipeout.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I love Android but damn it why do phone makers have to be slow damn slow at rolling out updates?

I've owned Samsung and HTC phones and you can tell their own user interface software (Wiz and Sense) is bloating and making updating phones an issue because when android make a new update it causes their UI to have issues and so an update gets delayed or never see's the light of day...

It makes me GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Futureman

I love Android but damn it why do phone makers have to be slow damn slow at rolling out updates?

I've owned Samsung and HTC phones and you can tell their own user interface software (Wiz and Sense) is bloating and making updating phones an issue because when android make a new update it causes their UI to have issues and so an update gets delayed or never see's the light of day...

Your next phone should be a Nexus if you feel this way.

I still think that the "average Android consumer" doesn't care about updates. Infact, my friend was pissed the other day that his (I think) Samsung Fascinate had some update that totally changed everything around. All my non-techie iPhone friends are like, "What did this iOS 5 update even do? I don't notice anything."

Not saying you are wrong for wanting an update, I'm in your camp, but I think with Android being so massively popular, manufacturers are still first and foremost concerned about making your out of the box experience as nice as possible and worrying about system updates secondly.

its really REALLY hard to screw up a nexus phone

Well since you´ve said that my camera has decided not to work (screen turns to black and force closes everytime) after copying some things with the SD card.

I think its still under warranty though I´m in a different country than were I bought it so I hope HTC still can help (I´ve tried soft and hard reseting without luck).

F#A#Oo

Banned
Your next phone should be a Nexus if you feel this way.

I still think that the "average Android consumer" doesn't care about updates. Infact, my friend was pissed the other day that his (I think) Samsung Fascinate had some update that totally changed everything around. All my non-techie iPhone friends are like, "What did this iOS 5 update even do? I don't notice anything."

Not saying you are wrong for wanting an update, I'm in your camp, but I think with Android being so massively popular, manufacturers are still first and foremost concerned about making your out of the box experience as nice as possible and worrying about system updates secondly.

Yeah once my contract is out I shall probably go with Nexus...

I have 12 months left so we'll see what the next Nexus has to offer...Google bought Motorola so maybe they might have picked up some decent echnology in the process...

MMaRsu

I cant update my GS2 through Kies Air.. what gives? I tried updating it through wifi and then it downloaded everything and when updating it got stuck on like 28% or something so I rebooted and the phone was fine, albeit faster and it seems to have some new functions. My android version is 2.3.4 but I think I should be able to update it right?

When I hook the phone up to my pc over usb and boot up Kies Air it says the device is unsupported, what gives?

jayb

I cant update my GS2 through Kies Air.. what gives? I tried updating it through wifi and then it downloaded everything and when updating it got stuck on like 28% or something so I rebooted and the phone was fine, albeit faster and it seems to have some new functions. My android version is 2.3.4 but I think I should be able to update it right?

When I hook the phone up to my pc over usb and boot up Kies Air it says the device is unsupported, what gives?
Did you try the normal Kies program via USB? That's how I updated my Tmobile gs2 to 2.3.6

Al-ibn Kermit

What kind of price range are they aiming for with the acer a700? I imagine they're competing with the transformer prime but there's got to be some kind of premium for having over twice the resolution.

Hey all, I'm having a hard time finding a phone that matches my needs. I'd like one that's heavily subsidized ($100 or less on new contract) and doesn't need to be the cutting edge.

There's so many options.

The Incredible 2 seems like a decent phone for $0. But I'd pay more for something better.

Any suggestions? Mostly Verizon, but I'd consider moving. Best screen possible given my limitations, gaming performance would be nice.

MMaRsu

Did you try the normal Kies program via USB? That's how I updated my Tmobile gs2 to 2.3.6
Damn yea thats what i meant. I cant update through usb and the normal kies. Comes up as unsupported device. Since i attempted rhe upgrade battery life has improved weird enough..

Pctx

Banned

I feel your pain. Having had the Nexus One for all of a week and a half back in 2010 I wanted to love Android so much because of the hardware, the OS and the possibilities. That however an issue when it came to the actual hardware. (Which is still a gripe of mine to this day...)

However, here we are at the end of 2011. Samsung has sold over 11-12+ Million Galaxy S2's world wide and there are a ton of S2 variants out there that should tide the most skeptical Android person over. I recently jumped ship from my 3GS to a GS2 Skyrocket. Having had the thing now 2 1/2 - 3 weeks, I wish I had come over sooner.

What we must all start to realize are some small but encouraging facts.

1) Samsung having the most smartphones out there in the globe today running Android 2.3.x variants and at least TouchWiz 3.5 or 4 (depending on where you are)--- in tandem with Samsung getting the orders for the Galaxy Nexus (The first Android 4.0 phone) makes for an impressive combination. This ensures that Google has given Samsung Android 4.x code months in advance and means that the worker bees at Samsung are going to get serious about updating their product lines because I believe they do (as well as others) view them as a top tier phone manufacture now. Samsung (I also believe) has a personal grudge with Apple of which getting Android 4.x onto most of their devices will make sure people don't buy an iPhone. (Speculative, but relevant.)

2) With Google purchasing Motorola Mobility, we will see direct Android updates through new products that Google/Moto bring out. The rumor of the Nexus tablet this summer and lord knows what else should calm any fears about older tech getting left in the dust since Google has a vested interest in seeing Android succeed. I would imagine the Bionic and Razr will be some of the first phones to get Android 4.x because of this new push.

Where does this leave everyone else?
HTC? LG? Pantec? LOL? Honestly I think this year we've seen the shake down of who the top 2 companies dominating the Android scene for 2012 are going to be. Samsung has a vested interest in seeing their products continue to sell and have legs while Google and Moto want to continue to push the industry and the channel partners of creating compelling products for consumers.

Back to your comment about TouchWiz and others... I actually am using TW on my Skyrocket and have tried other launchers but found they really weren't needed for the fluff. TW isn't a bad add on, however I believe other manufactures who have added UI skins that have slowed down the phone or have slowed down the updates because of the UI skin need to re-evaluate what their doing. Once Android 4.x comes with hardware acceleration, this will be a thing of the past I believe.

My opinion, get a Samsung or Moto phone if you want to stay current on the updates and don't plan to root or ROM your phone. That's my plan thus far and I am very pleased.

zoku88

Samsung working on the nexus S didn't help get their gingerbread updates to the galaxy line.

Actually, as far as updates go, hasn't samsung been pretty much the worst?

kehs

Banned
JBQ (The guy that maintains AOSP) posted this the other day:

-For the first time, AOSP supports a non-Nexus non-ADP device, which also happens to be a tablet (Xoom), and supports a development board (PandaBoard). We also added support for Intel CPUs, including emulator support. Those show well that AOSP is important for companies other than Google.

-Not releasing the Honeycomb source code was catastrophic for the AOSP community. I had never before received so many angry emails, so many threats, to the point where I had to take several weeks off at some point to get away from it. Even today, there's a lot of bitterness left on all sides. From start to finish, Honeycomb probably cost AOSP anywhere from 6 to 12 months.

-In spite of a lot of progress, there are still far too many proprietary binaries and factory images that I'm not allowed to distribute, and I'm still wasting far too much time trying to convince those many companies that they should be helping AOSP run on their hardware (well, I've given up on HTC, Motorola and Qualcomm, as it's clear at this point that they're not going to help in that area).

https://plus.google.com/112218872649456413744/posts/75aLL1dWY2u

Samsung working on the nexus S didn't help get their gingerbread updates to the galaxy line.

Actually, as far as updates go, hasn't samsung been pretty much the worst?
Samsung has been pretty good with updates on their own devices. The problems that have been pinned to them have been a result of carrier meddling and variants of phones. International version of the Galaxy S got their GB update within a decent enough time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom