• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, think my phone got hacked. Got a couple random ad type things on my notifications bar and thought nothing of it at first but then I got a random reply from an email saying the email I sent them was blank. Looked in my sent items and sure enough my email was sending a bunch of emails to flagged craigslist ads.

Not sure really how this happened, I haven't gotten any new apps in a while except for the $.10 apps and never got any suspicious emails besides the one mentioned.

Any advice?

is it possible that it's your email that's hacked, and not your phone?

is it possible that it's your email that's hacked, and not your phone?

Possible, but I never really use the email account other than on my phone. I also accompanied it with the ads that I started getting in my notification bar the last two days that I had never gotten before. It's possible but thought it was odd.

Download any new apps?

Other than a couple of the $.10 apps, no. The onlly patentially bad app I could think of that I had was a ringtone app that I hadn't used in a long time and it recently had an update, so I went in and wiped all the data from it and deleted the app. Will see if that stops it for now.

tino

Banned
Other than a couple of the $.10 apps, no. The onlly patentially bad app I could think of that I had was a ringtone app that I hadn't used in a long time and it recently had an update, so I went in and wiped all the data from it and deleted the app. Will see if that stops it for now.

I would change the password too. If its not too much trouble, also enable two-step verification.

I would change the password too. If its not too much trouble, also enable two-step verification.

Doing this and also taking off background data for the account to see if there is any activity on it away from my phone. Going from the gmail details it looks like it's only been accessed by a mobile from my area, so I'm suspecting it is something on my phone accessing my email.

Damn, think my phone got hacked. Got a couple random ad type things on my notifications bar and thought nothing of it at first but then I got a random reply from an email saying the email I sent them was blank. Looked in my sent items and sure enough my email was sending a bunch of emails to flagged craigslist ads.

Not sure really how this happened, I haven't gotten any new apps in a while except for the $.10 apps and never got any suspicious emails besides the one mentioned.

Any advice?

Try some of the scanning apps on android like avg or lookout or something

Linkhero1

Hello

I want to create an Android app but I do not know the Java language. Does anyone have resources that I can use to create an app? Something easy to follow for someone who doesn't know anything about app development.

Menelaus

Banned
Hello

I want to create an Android app but I do not know the Java language. Does anyone have resources that I can use to create an app? Something easy to follow for someone who doesn't know anything about app development.

Learn Java. Use App Inventor. Those are your 2 options.

Only one of them will give you an app worth using, however.

Linkhero1

Learn Java. Use App Inventor. Those are your 2 options.

Only one of them will give you an app worth using, however.
I would rather learn Java. Do you have any resources that would benefit me? I'm only doing this for fun so I have all the time in the world to learn the language.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Make a good Twitter app. You will make tons of money. Plume is the closest thing we have and it still sucks.

Blackhead

Redarse
ColorDict is the best free offline dictionary I've found.

It's not updated for ICS. I'm trying out some honeycomb dictionary apps :/

Ok what's the deal with the share action and web search action? Is it possible to customize them? If I cant find apps to provide share options for wikipedia and a dictionary, can I modify the websearch to provide results from other options than google?

alternade

I'm looking for an app that I can transfer files to and from my pc over wifi through my phone. I don't want to have to use some web interface.

DXPett1

Make a good Twitter app. You will make tons of money. Plume is the closest thing we have and it still sucks.

Agreed. The official client was really nice, smooth and easy to use until the latest abomination of a update. At this point the Facebook app is better (hell, indeed has frozen over)

Gigglepoo

I have an HTC Detail (the CredoMobile version of Evo). Reading about people gushing over the newest Android phones, I'm just curious what I'm missing out on. What are the newest models capable of that mine isn't?

Day 2 of GS2 vs. galaxy nexus.

galaxy nexus screen is kinda amazing...just watching 720p youtube videos is crazy!!

I might actually think the screen of the GN is better than the GS2, pentile and all..

Reception on the GN sucks!! im using at&t with 4.0.1

gcubed

galaxy nexus screen is kinda amazing...just watching 720p youtube videos is crazy!!

I might actually think the screen of the GN is better than the GS2, pentile and all..

there is no maybe on the screen. Where are you using it for bad reception? I have better reception on the GN then i did on my N1

Is there anyway to free up room on a nexus one for a bit more apps without rooting my phone? I thought I read something somewere about this being possible. Forcing apps to go to the SD. I could be wrong though.

I´m a bit nervous about rooting it because if it goes bad I´d be stuck with a dumb phone until july.

jokkir

Check what baseband both are using. Go to About Phone is settings.

Different basebands can offer different receptions.

gcubed

Is there anyway to free up room on a nexus one for a bit more apps without rooting my phone? I thought I read something somewere about this being possible. Forcing apps to go to the SD. I could be wrong though.

I´m a bit nervous about rooting it because if it goes bad I´d be stuck with a dumb phone until july.

you can root your phone (which has no side effects) and install movetosd from the market. That will save some. If you need more then a few mb though, i would ROM it, its really REALLY hard to screw up a nexus phone

panda21

damn I love ICS. not going back even if it is a bit dodgy on the SGS2 at the moment (hopefully fixed by new leak tonight... :D)

just discovered that you can pull down the notifications bar from the lockscreen. magical.

all i want now is to remap the capacitive menu button to open recent apps. i hate pressing the hw home button on the sgs2, it feels so cheap, and press and hold sucks.

SimleuqiR

damn I love ICS. not going back even if it is a bit dodgy on the SGS2 at the moment (hopefully fixed by new leak tonight... :D)

just discovered that you can pull down the notifications bar from the lockscreen. magical.

all i want now is to remap the capacitive menu button to open recent apps. i hate pressing the hw home button on the sgs2, it feels so cheap, and press and hold sucks.

Even with a lock pin? Cause that doesn't work with my lock screen.

Mr. Android 2011

jayb

I'm so glad the N.A. gs2 versions use a capacitive home button.

gimmmick

I wish samsung can plan there galaxy device launches with the US... instead of waiting 6 - 8 months then releasing it in the states.

so, what you're saying is Samsung should delay their product launches 6-8 months until US carriers are ready with a slot in their lineup?

They should release their phones unlocked at retail for people who want it, then release them on carriers with their subsidies, contracts, and bloat later. Some people just want the damn phone.

zoku88

They should release their phones unlocked at retail for people who want it, then release them on carriers with their subsidies, contracts, and bloat later. Some people just want the damn phone.

Lol, as if unlocked/unsubsidized phones sell in the US.

If only .... :(

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I wish samsung can plan there galaxy device launches with the US... instead of waiting 6 - 8 months then releasing it in the states.

...they sell them unlocked, you just have to go through 3rd party websites to get them. It's how all the cool kids in the US has a Galaxy Note already

edit: oh you meant at retail by the oem's? yea, ain't happening

at retail as opposed to buying them online?

the american phone oligopoly has ensured that retail unlocked phones are doomed.

Check what baseband both are using. Go to About Phone is settings.

Different basebands can offer different receptions.

yup, using stock band on the GN, haven't rooted it yet.

Auto brightness on the GN sucks ...way too dark!

but I was lucky enough to get one with no screen flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom