• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lesiroth

I feel your pain. Having had the Nexus One for all of a week and a half back in 2010 I wanted to love Android so much because of the hardware, the OS and the possibilities. That however an issue when it came to the actual hardware. (Which is still a gripe of mine to this day...)

However, here we are at the end of 2011. Samsung has sold over 11-12+ Million Galaxy S2's world wide and there are a ton of S2 variants out there that should tide the most skeptical Android person over. I recently jumped ship from my 3GS to a GS2 Skyrocket. Having had the thing now 2 1/2 - 3 weeks, I wish I had come over sooner.

What we must all start to realize are some small but encouraging facts.

1) Samsung having the most smartphones out there in the globe today running Android 2.3.x variants and at least TouchWiz 3.5 or 4 (depending on where you are)--- in tandem with Samsung getting the orders for the Galaxy Nexus (The first Android 4.0 phone) makes for an impressive combination. This ensures that Google has given Samsung Android 4.x code months in advance and means that the worker bees at Samsung are going to get serious about updating their product lines because I believe they do (as well as others) view them as a top tier phone manufacture now. Samsung (I also believe) has a personal grudge with Apple of which getting Android 4.x onto most of their devices will make sure people don't buy an iPhone. (Speculative, but relevant.)

2) With Google purchasing Motorola Mobility, we will see direct Android updates through new products that Google/Moto bring out. The rumor of the Nexus tablet this summer and lord knows what else should calm any fears about older tech getting left in the dust since Google has a vested interest in seeing Android succeed. I would imagine the Bionic and Razr will be some of the first phones to get Android 4.x because of this new push.

Where does this leave everyone else?
HTC? LG? Pantec? LOL? Honestly I think this year we've seen the shake down of who the top 2 companies dominating the Android scene for 2012 are going to be. Samsung has a vested interest in seeing their products continue to sell and have legs while Google and Moto want to continue to push the industry and the channel partners of creating compelling products for consumers.

Back to your comment about TouchWiz and others... I actually am using TW on my Skyrocket and have tried other launchers but found they really weren't needed for the fluff. TW isn't a bad add on, however I believe other manufactures who have added UI skins that have slowed down the phone or have slowed down the updates because of the UI skin need to re-evaluate what their doing. Once Android 4.x comes with hardware acceleration, this will be a thing of the past I believe.

My opinion, get a Samsung or Moto phone if you want to stay current on the updates and don't plan to root or ROM your phone. That's my plan thus far and I am very pleased.
You may be right regarding Samsung, but Motorola's practically irrelevant outside the US. HTC and Sony Ericsson(Sony only now?) are doing much better than Motorola in the rest of the world. Heck, I bet LG is doing better than Motorola in Europe.

And Samsung doesn't seem to be interested in slimming down TW for ICS, but we'll see.

You may be right regarding Samsung, but Motorola's practically irrelevant outside the US. HTC and Sony Ericsson(Sony only now?) are doing much better than Motorola in the rest of the world. Heck, I bet LG is doing better than Motorola in Europe.

And Samsung doesn't seem to be interested in slimming down TW for ICS, but we'll see.

one thing i can say is Samsung has their kernel sources out days before their phones are released, in fact, one time, they had the kernel sources out before a phone was ANNOUNCED mainly because of US carriers and their stealth launch bullshit.

HTC? well, at least they release eventually... that counts for something, right?

Sony seems to be pushing really hard to be loved. i mean, they're really putting in effort. if only they'd put some awesome hardware inside their pretty phones...

Al-ibn Kermit

Hey all, I'm having a hard time finding a phone that matches my needs. I'd like one that's heavily subsidized ($100 or less on new contract) and doesn't need to be the cutting edge.

There's so many options.

The Incredible 2 seems like a decent phone for $0. But I'd pay more for something better.

Any suggestions? Mostly Verizon, but I'd consider moving. Best screen possible given my limitations, gaming performance would be nice.
Best thing to do is to buy your phone on amazon wireless. For around your price range you can get the bionic for $50, the razr for $170, and the the rezound for $150. Those are all 4G phones with dual-core processors that should be future proof for quite a while. The incredible 2 is a pretty old phone, I'm guessing the reason you see it listed for $100 is that you're looking at the Verizon store prices where they add a lot more mark up.

I really don't know what to keep, the GS2 or the Galaxy Nexus.

The GS2 is like a Nissan GT-R, Brutally fast and destroys everything in the road.

The Galaxy Nexus is like an Audi R8, not as fast but more fineness and more attractive.

I thought it would be an easy choice but dayam, how can an 8 month old phone still be still the fastest phone available currently. I'm addicted to speed..

cajunator

Banned
the Galaxy S 2 skyrocket is a fucking amazing phone. I love mine. What advantages does the Nexus have over it? (not thaT I want to get rid of the skyrocket anytime soon)

Best thing to do is to buy your phone on amazon wireless. For around your price range you can get the bionic for $50, the razr for $170, and the the rezound for $150. Those are all 4G phones with dual-core processors that should be future proof for quite a while. The incredible 2 is a pretty old phone, I'm guessing the reason you see it listed for $100 is that you're looking at the Verizon store prices where they add a lot more mark up.

Yeah I'd much rather buy a dual core phone. The Bionic sounds like it's in my wheelhouse.

The Incredible 2 is actually FREE right now.

thanks

EDIT:

ah the Bionic is $179 for existing customers, bummer.

The GS2 is like a Nissan GT-R, Brutally fast and destroys everything in the road.

The Galaxy Nexus is like an Audi R8, not as fast but more fineness and more attractive.

I thought it would be an easy choice but dayam, how can an 8 month old phone still be still the fastest phone available currently. I'm addicted to speed..
Well aren't the US GS2 slightly more updated hardware wise than the EU counterparts? I'm not 100% sure but I think at least the Epic Touch 4G has a better dual core processor.

Ashhong

Odd comparison since the Audi also adds things like class and luxury, but I get it. Are both phones going to cost you the same price? Or do you own the GS2 and would have to pony up for the GN? In that case, stick with the S2.

It also has NFC!

That's true.

My AT&T has NFC which I think can be used on custom roms.

Pctx

Banned
Samsung working on the nexus S didn't help get their gingerbread updates to the galaxy line.

Actually, as far as updates go, hasn't samsung been pretty much the worst?
Samsung has a cut off line and that is just how they tier their products. The S I don't believe was ever a premier product line for them was it? Again, i remember it being their first big entry into Android.

Ashhong

Oh, didn't know the GS2 had NFC as well...

Only the AT&T version I believe, and its actually built into the battery. There is no NFC options in the stock rom AFAIK, but in my custom rom there is an option to enable it and a guide to use it somewhere. Never tried it though since I dont have data.

Pctx

Banned
the Galaxy S 2 skyrocket is a fucking amazing phone. I love mine. What advantages does the Nexus have over it? (not thaT I want to get rid of the skyrocket anytime soon)
Welcome to the club.

Download the icskeyboard.apk and use that as your default keyboard. I've got on mine and its godly.

If you want tethering, get easytether pro. Been using it now on Portland's hspa/hspa+ and it is awesome.

Other apps, Amazon store for free daily apps and juice defender. I got about 2 days outta my skyrocket with it! :)

kehs

Banned
Samsung has a cut off line and that is just his they tier their products. The S I don't believe was ever a premier product line for them was it?

S is their top product line.

http://androidcommunity.com/2011-samsung-galaxy-smartphone-naming-scheme-goes-live-20110824/

-----

Food for thought: apparently all NFC things were ripped from the ATT GS2's rom at ATT's request.

Greyface: Anything running 4.X based on AOSP, with an nfc chip, and not stripped down. i.e. GN, Nexus S, AOSP roms, etc.

Pctx

Banned
S is their top product line.

-----

Food for thought: apparently all NFC things were ripped from the ATT GS2's rom at ATT's request.

Greyface: Anything running 4.X based on AOSP, with an nfc chip, and not stripped down. i.e. GN, Nexus S, AOSP roms, etc.
Didn't know that. Well, we'll see in the coming weeks how fast 4.0 hits Samsung's line.

zedge

Well aren't the US GS2 slightly more updated hardware wise than the EU counterparts? I'm not 100% sure but I think at least the Epic Touch 4G has a better dual core processor.
The EU or international versions have the exynos processor. Most US version have the qualicomm processors which by most accounts are inferior.

Ashhong

The EU or international versions have the exynos processor. Most US version have the qualicomm processors which by most accounts are inferior.

Only T-mobile version has the qualcomm. ATT and Sprint have Exynos. The exynos is .3ghz slower, but I assume a hearty overclock will make it even better.

surly

Banned
If I were to get a Galaxy S2 can I easily root it and put CyanogenMod on there? I love it on my HTC Desire, but I'd like a phone with a bit more grunt and the S2 seems like a good choice at a reasonable price.

Ashhong

If I were to get a Galaxy S2 can I easily root it and put CyanogenMod on there? I love it on my HTC Desire, but I'd like a phone with a bit more grunt and the S2 seems like a good choice at a reasonable price.

Yup. Did it myself in like 10 minutes.

Lesiroth

one thing i can say is Samsung has their kernel sources out days before their phones are released, in fact, one time, they had the kernel sources out before a phone was ANNOUNCED mainly because of US carriers and their stealth launch bullshit.

HTC? well, at least they release eventually... that counts for something, right?

Sony seems to be pushing really hard to be loved. i mean, they're really putting in effort. if only they'd put some awesome hardware inside their pretty phones...

Well, he was mainly referring to market/mindshare, but Samsung does win in both cases. However in this regard the only company I've been actually impressed with is Sony. Directly helping CM support their phones and promising ICS for their entire line of 2011 phones is pretty awesome. Here's hoping they ramp up the specs bigtime for their next phone, they've been behind for so long.

zoku88

Well, he was mainly referring to market/mindshare, but Samsung does win in both cases. However in this regard the only company I've been actually impressed with is Sony. Directly helping CM support their phones and promising ICS for their entire line of 2011 phones is pretty awesome. Here's hoping they ramp up the specs bigtime for their next phone, they've been behind for so long.

That's kind of mindblowing to me, considering that SE was releasing phones with 1.6 not too long ago. ~_~

Odd comparison since the Audi also adds things like class and luxury, but I get it. Are both phones going to cost you the same price? Or do you own the GS2 and would have to pony up for the GN? In that case, stick with the S2.

My AT&T has NFC which I think can be used on custom roms.

Its not an odd comparison at all. Believe me when I say that the Nissan gt-r also have the luxury stuff AND blazing fast. But anyways, I had the gs2 for a few months and recently bought the galaxy nexus thinking I would sell the gs2. I been switching back and forth, and now I don't know which one to keep because the gs2(exynon) is surprising as good or better than the galaxy nexus in some ways.

Cost wise I'm not gaining or losing much if I choose one.

Doopliss

You should bear in mind that CyanogenMod on the GS2 lacks some functionality (e.g. limited video playback, missing camera features, no video output via MHL/HDMI). Samsung keeps various drivers closed-source so the CM guys rely on Samsung ROM releases to fix stuff. One of the main devs, Codeworkx, got so frustrated that he's vowed never to buy another Samsung phone.

Only T-mobile version has the qualcomm. ATT and Sprint have Exynos. The exynos is .3ghz slower, but I assume a hearty overclock will make it even better.
The Qualcomm processors are slower clock-for-clock but I think the higher frequency makes up the difference. Some of the HTC phones with Qualcomms (like the Sensation) have made people perceive them as worse than they actually are because Sense UI had its way with their benchmark scores.

On the GS2 I expect a quick and sloppy shoehorning-in of the old TW for ICS. The Galaxy S III will no doubt get a proper redesign, but I'm not sure that a back-port of the update is likely.

zedge

Slower does not mean less powerful however. Pretty sure the Exynos beats the qualcomm in benchmarks etc, especially graphics.

the Exynos has a lower clock speed than the Snapdragon, but it's not slower.

The Qualcomm processors are slower clock-for-clock but I think the higher frequency makes up the difference. Some of the HTC phones with Qualcomms (like the Sensation) have made people perceive them as worse than they actually are because Sense UI had its way with their benchmark scores.

yeah, the T-Mobile GSII performs better than the Amaze and they're on the same SoC, but it still loses to real Exynos GSII devices.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I am almost done the app thread. It's really huge right now because I chose to put thumbnails for most apps. I hope they don't make it unmanageable for mobile users. If you see it get posted, please refrain from posting until I get the complete OP up since it will have to span a few posts.

Preview:
ZEpaU.png

Dai101

Banned
Hey guys. I just joined the smartphone craze and get me a Galaxy Gio. So, which are the must have apps i should install? Thanks

Al-ibn Kermit

Hey guys. I just joined the smartphone craze and get me a Galaxy Gio. So, which are the must have apps i should install? Thanks

I guess it matters what exactly you mainly want to use your phone for but some good general ones are:

Dolphin Browser HD good general browser that has tabs/gestures and I personally preferred it to the stock browser on my samsung phone.
Google Docs Great for quickly browsing your documents and making small changes.
Google Goggles It uses your phones camera to scan barcodes/qr codes and even landmarks to display product information and stuff.
Google Maps It can actually give you voice turn-by-turn direction with impressive accuracy and speed.
Pandora Simple, intuitive online radio.
Starchart If you're a constellations nerd. You point your phone into the sky and it tells you the information about whatever stars you're aimed at.
Where's My Droid This app allows you to find your phone if you lose it and it also allows you to remotely wipe your private data off your phone if you can't track it down.

ask your cellphone provider, not Samsung.

;(

kehs

Banned
Since Divvy put up an app thread, I think I'll have the title changed to

Android HW |OT| Endless Specs and New Hardware Lust

Yay, nay?

DXPett1

That's kind of mindblowing to me, considering that SE was releasing phones with 1.6 not too long ago. ~_~

2011 has been a backflip for both HTC and SE. SE are now very community minded, decent & varied line up and updates are more timely.

HTC on the other hand haven't innovated since their holy trio (nexus one, desire and legend). Every phone since has been a Porsche like evolution of the Desire. They also went on a boot locking spree (but since provided tools to remove this). Look at the Flyer, while others jumped on the Honeycomb wagon, HTC put out a tablet with Gingerbread like a el-cheap-o OEM. Half assed really describes their 2011

I finally decided to keep the galaxy nexus BUT I tried loading HD videos and it wouldn't play properly in the GN. Its played it fine and smooth with the GS2!! arggghh!!

What player the best video player for the galaxy nexus?

I used BS player on the GS2 and it played everything...

Blackhead

Redarse
I finally decided to keep the galaxy nexus BUT I tried loading HD videos and it wouldn't play properly in the GN. Its played it fine and smooth with the GS2!! arggghh!!

BS player has been updated for Android 4.0.

I cant find BS player pro in the Market—only the lite version. Whats the price?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

The post right above yours talks about an app thread...

kinggroin

Banned

Dice player. As far as the nexus is concerned, its the only player that matters. Full hardware acceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom