• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
If your international yes.

Whats weird is why does the note have 1280x800 resolution this one is less?
Because Samsung is jumping the shark. This is basically the old Galaxy Tab 1 with 4.0 so Samsung has an excuse not to upgrade the old Galaxy Tab.

Blackhead

Redarse
Argh I don't think it's coming out here in NA soon. (Didn't Apple sue Samsung to get it of the shelves when it was first announced?!) Even if it did get released the carriers would gimp it here. AT&T, Verizon et al removed the phone calling feature from the original Galaxy Tab. I'm quite interested in this; the battery life sounds amazing (unlike my Galaxy Nexus), it runs Honeycomb (unlike the Galaxy Note) and the content is well formatted for the screen (unlike the Galaxy Nexus). With the iPad 3 on the horizon for a similar price I can't justify getting this as just a tablet. If the iPad 3 doesn't have a retina display though... My love affair with the GN has ended. Going to try a jailbroken iPhone for a few weeks and see how that scene is.

AndyD

aka andydumi
ugh really? i heard the "cheap" reports but $350 aint it. It needs to compete with the Kindle Fire.

I agree. At $200 its one thing, anything beyond $250 is excessive.

But I have hopes since they also said there will be an 8GB model, so hopefully that one will be cheaper on wifi only.

tokkun

Whats weird is why does the note have 1280x800 resolution this one is less?

Maybe the 5" screen is cheaper to produce. Or maybe cost concerns are more important with a device that will not be heavily subsidized by cell phone carriers.

kehs

Banned
Outisde of the iphone4s, I didn't think verizon was carrying a gsm compatible phones. I know they do the network collaborations with international partners like husker mentioned, but that's not really a "world phone".

kinggroin

Banned
Quadrant standard has been updated to support multi-core cpus and pics.

Just ran a test on the GN and scored a 3329. Useless, I know, but benching is always fun.

reKon

Banned
Yeah, I'm pretty much stuck in trying to get aokp 23 on to this incredible. I'm running into the same exact issue that I did when trying to set up adb. I point to the folder that contains the driver via device manager (C:\android-sdk-windows\extras\google\usb_driver), but it does not want to detect that for some reason even though the .inf file is CLEARLY there. I have no idea why this is an issue. The incredible shows up as Android 1.0 just like the Nexus device did when I was setting it up. I was able to get a workaround for the Nexus, but not this Incredible and all the guides our right now on doing this are shitty and outdated...

Those look like dock pins.

Modular computing, please hurry up.

Would they normally put dock pins on the same side as the camera shutter, volume rocker and power control? (At least that's what I think it shows). I know the GN has the pins on the same side as the power control, but all 3? Though I am speculating, some of those might not be buttons at all but port covers.

Sarcasm

Argh I don't think it's coming out here in NA soon. (Didn't Apple sue Samsung to get it of the shelves when it was first announced?!) Even if it did get released the carriers would gimp it here. AT&T, Verizon et al removed the phone calling feature from the original Galaxy Tab. I'm quite interested in this; the battery life sounds amazing (unlike my Galaxy Nexus), it runs Honeycomb (unlike the Galaxy Note) and the content is well formatted for the screen (unlike the Galaxy Nexus). With the iPad 3 on the horizon for a similar price I can't justify getting this as just a tablet. If the iPad 3 doesn't have a retina display though... My love affair with the GN has ended. Going to try a jailbroken iPhone for a few weeks and see how that scene is.

Note & Tab 7.7 get same battery life with the Note pulling ahead in some areas.

kehs

Banned
Would they normally put dock pins on the same side as the camera shutter, volume rocker and power control? (At least that's what I think it shows). I know the GN has the pins on the same side as the power control, but all 3? Though I am speculating, some of those might not be buttons at all but port covers.

That's true, they sorta look like "faux" bolts for looks.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
There are maybe 3 Verizon world phones that let you do it. And you are locked out of any US 2G/3G/4G GSM spectrum.
Unless it's something that's changed with the newest world phones, I don't think that second part is true... I had an old Blackberry Storm that I got unlocked straight from Verizon (called them up, said I was traveling overseas) and it was able to be used on GSM in the US with a T Mobile SIM that I tried, but it was 2G only if I recall. ATT might have also worked, but again only 2G.

Can someone explain to me the functional benefits of ICS over Gingerbread? I downloaded the AOKP ICS on my incredible just to play around with. Everything works fine, but other than some minor differences I don't see what the big deal is. Is it just the smoother scrolling that everyone is raving about? I don't like the fact that you have to go the app drawer to put a shortcut on the home screen. Also am I missing something or is there only an analog clock? Had to download a third party digital clock.

Can someone explain to me the functional benefits of ICS over Gingerbread? I downloaded the AOKP ICS on my incredible just to play around with. Everything works fine, but other than some minor differences I don't see what the big deal is. Is it just the smoother scrolling that everyone is raving about? I don't like the fact that you have to go the app drawer to put a shortcut on the home screen. Also am I missing something or is there only an analog clock? Had to download a third party digital clock.

Major changes here: http://www.android.com/about/ice-cream-sandwich/

Not sure if there is a android hardware specific thread as I couldn't see one, but... What are best Android tablets right now? Asus or Samsung? I need to buy one before I leave town this week and haven't kept up with the tablets at all.

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;35116781 said:
Not sure if there is a android hardware specific thread as I couldn't see one, but... What are best Android tablets right now? Asus or Samsung? I need to buy one before I leave town this week and haven't kept up with the tablets at all.

Depends on what size you're looking for, but I'd say the original Asus Transformer, Transformer Prime, and Galaxy Tab 10.1 are three of the better ones.

gcubed

There is a digital clock in the upper right corner of the phone.

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;35117234 said:
I was looking at the Transformer Prime, but there seems to be a bunch of different model numbers and I'm slightly confused! Thanks for the help.

Well there are 32 and 64GB versions, and I think there are colour choices for the aluminum back.

kehs

Banned
So apparently you can simulate hover events in the browser(ics) by touch+holding and then dismissing the popup menu.

Husker86

Outisde of the iphone4s, I didn't think verizon was carrying a gsm compatible phones. I know they do the network collaborations with international partners like husker mentioned, but that's not really a "world phone".

Nah, they've had phones with GSM for a while. They still used agreements with other networks overseas and the SIM was locked to their "Verizon" SIM.

esai

so i got my microSD card today only to have my sgs2 not be able to format or mount it. im thinking i got a dead card. here is what my notification says:
C4drb.png

Ashhong

What happens when you press on the notification? How about plugging it into your comp and formatting the card into FAT32 using Windows?

esai

it says its erasing everything on it> being checked> then preparing it. the notification wont go away and i still cant mount it. my computer aslo only recognizes the phone even when i choose the degug option. i can't plug the card in at the moment cause i cant find my adapter.

Al-ibn Kermit

^The one really good complaint he had was typing, I can't imagine typing on a phone that big unless it's in portrait mode.

In addition to the Droid 4, the Droid 3 and Droid Razr also have GSM radios.

There's of course been several Blackberry's on Verizon that are world phones too. But I think Motorola is the only Android manufacturer currently putting GSM radios in Verizon phones, probably because they're targeting more business users what with their masculine product design and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom