• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

For no apparent reason I've stopped getting notifications from the Facebook app on my Galaxy Nexus. It was working fine up until a few days ago. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? Seems it's happened to a few folk on the Android Central forums too.

ew why are you guys using the facebook app on the gnex? it eats batteries for breakfast and the mobile site has the same functionality.... Free yourself.

Anyone here got a Transformer Prime? Seriously tempted but also concerned about the wifi issues that are affecting some users. GPS doesn't bother me. Thoughts? Not just on wifi but the device and performance. After the disappointment that was tegra 2 does tegra 4 live up to the hype?

Mafro

ew why are you guys using the facebook app on the gnex? it eats batteries for breakfast and the mobile site has the same functionality.... Free yourself.
I've heard a lot about that, but I've never had any problems with it regarding battery drainage.

Does the mobile site have the new layout and Timeline stuff?

Suairyu

Banned
Anyone know a decent free music app that supports FLAC?

Alternatively, anyone know a decent Windows program to automate batch conversions of FLAC to MP3?

edit - woooooaaaah people calling HTC phones ugly? Hardware is, like, their thing, man. The reason I chose a Sensation over the Galaxy S2. Sexy, sexy phone that doesn't feel like it's made of plastic.

Alternatively, anyone know a decent Windows program to automate batch conversions of FLAC to MP3?

edit - woooooaaaah people calling HTC phones ugly? Hardware is, like, their thing, man. The reason I chose a Sensation over the Galaxy S2. Sexy, sexy phone that doesn't feel like it's made of plastic.

The Google 'Music' App supports FLAC. At least it does on ICS and Honeycomb 3.2. But not gapless playback. Jellybean maybe....

Suairyu

Banned
Does it require ICS? I'm running whatever the latest officially available on HTC Sensation is.

But if you go to the Market page for Google Music, it says not available to your region when I hit install.

edit - the link you provided, the uploader uses a service that requires you to complete a survey to download. No thanks.

Al-ibn Kermit

Anyone here got a Transformer Prime? Seriously tempted but also concerned about the wifi issues that are affecting some users. GPS doesn't bother me. Thoughts? Not just on wifi but the device and performance. After the disappointment that was tegra 2 does tegra 4 live up to the hype?

It's a Tegra 3.

Wifi is not an issue for me, but I'm never very far from a wifi router whenever I use it.

As far as performance, it's as smooth as can be and keeps up when I have multiple PDF's and tabs open. The only activity that would really push the processor is maybe gaming, but so far there are not really any high-end games that are really designed to take full advantage of the Tegra 3 so it's hard to say how much more powerful it is.

If you do get one, definitely plan to pick up a keyboard dock. Typing on a tablet's virtual screen takes a hell of a lot longer than typing on a phone.

Does it require ICS? I'm running whatever the latest officially available on HTC Sensation is.

But if you go to the Market page for Google Music, it says not available to your region when I hit install.

edit - the link you provided, the uploader uses a service that requires you to complete a survey to download. No thanks.

Apologies for that, but hunt around Google or Xda and you'll find one. Google Music did run on my Gingerbread Nexus S but may now require ICS. I'm not sure. Find an APK and give it a go.

It's a Tegra 3.

Wifi is not an issue for me, but I'm never very far from a wifi router whenever I use it.

As far as performance, it's as smooth as can be and keeps up when I have multiple PDF's and tabs open. The only activity that would really push the processor is maybe gaming, but so far there are not really any high-end games that are really designed to take full advantage of the Tegra 3 so it's hard to say how much more powerful it is.

If you do get one, definitely plan to pick up a keyboard dock. Typing on a tablet's virtual screen takes a hell of a lot longer than typing on a phone.

The keyboard is one of the main reasons I'd get it. Not just for typing (that's a big plus) but also cos I can balance it on my lap which is how I tend to use my laptop when web browsing etc. But my laptop has awful battery life.

PaulLFC

Just went to Software Update on my Galaxy S2 and was told there was an update, so I installed it, then I was told there was an additional update, installed that, then another update, and so on. It's done 4 updates now, is that normal? It's still saying there's another update available too, no idea how many updates it'll download it total, or whether it's just a bug and it's trying to re-download the same update multiple times.

May be due to me never having updated it through Kies as I refuse to use it for firmware updates after seeing quite a few reports of it bricking phones.

Suairyu

Banned
Thanks for this. But it isn't reading my FLAC files. I suspect that it's using the rom-level codecs and to my knowledge the HTC Sensation isn't (yet) using a variant that has native FLAC support. Guess I'm waiting for the ICS update.

edit - Ignoring lack of FLAC, Music seems functional but not very pretty. Don't like the blue/white colour scheme at all.

edit 2 - Also ignores double clicks to skip song, instead dialed the last number I had a phone call with instead.

Lesiroth

Thanks for this. But it isn't reading my FLAC files. I suspect that it's using the rom-level codecs and to my knowledge the HTC Sensation isn't (yet) using a variant that has native FLAC support. Guess I'm waiting for the ICS update.

edit - Ignoring lack of FLAC, Music seems functional but not very pretty. Don't like the blue/white colour scheme at all.

It looks more at home in ICS.

jayb

If you fully exit by using the back button to get back to the home screen, the battery life is fine. The app is faster than the Web site for me.

edit 2 - Also ignores double clicks to skip song, instead dialed the last number I had a phone call with instead.

Within Holo, Music looks great. Within Sense it probably doesn't fit in so well because Sense is stylistically all over the place.

What is this? I'm actually using Facebook on my phone, and the scrolling isn't as slow as molasses?

I may never use the app again.

Threi

notag

Well you can always try playerpro and poweramp, there are trials for both in the android market. Both have a lot of customization for headset buttons as well.

*edit* oh yeah you are on sense :/

well stylistically playerpro has a skin that resembles sense, you could try that out.

Suairyu

Banned
Within Holo, Music looks great. Within Sense it probably doesn't fit in so well because Sense is stylistically all over the place.
Well, it is it's own fullscreen thing, so I'm not really judging it as part of the overall experience, just on its own terms.

Well you can always try playerpro
Oh snap, unlimited trial and flac support. You are a great guy!

edit - relies on Android's own media support, so again no flac support for me :(

Come on, HTC. Release the update already!

*edit* oh yeah you are on sense :/

well stylistically playerpro has a skin that resembles sense, you could try that out.
No, guys, seriously, all these apps work in full screen and I rarely use widgets so the look of sense doesn't cloud my opinion on the look of individual apps - they either look great or they don't; it doesn't matter if they fit with sense or not.

womp

I heard that enabling that messes with other apps, which I'd rather not do. Also, the scrolling is not the least of my problems with the Facebook app.

Until you actually find an app that conflicts with it, why not use it? I have yet to see any issues with it on.

Tick/untick...No biggie.

esai

Just went to Software Update on my Galaxy S2 and was told there was an update, so I installed it, then I was told there was an additional update, installed that, then another update, and so on. It's done 4 updates now, is that normal? It's still saying there's another update available too, no idea how many updates it'll download it total, or whether it's just a bug and it's trying to re-download the same update multiple times.

May be due to me never having updated it through Kies as I refuse to use it for firmware updates after seeing quite a few reports of it bricking phones.
I just got my S II on Monday and only had to do one update.

So I took my Razr Maxx off the charger this morning at 6am and 11.5 hours later with 1 hour on screen time mostly texting and responding to corporate email, had 3 phone calls about a few minutes each, and some light web browsing, I have 86% battery left. Granted I was on WiFi for about 70% of the time with the rest on LTE, this is insane battery life.

Update: So I tried to use the phone a little more today to see if I can kill the battery. I'm now at 35 hours with an additional 2 hours of on screen time (3 hours total) plus 1 hour of streaming music using the internet radio feature of Moto's my music app. Also a couple of quick phone calls. I'm sitting at 37% left now. Considering the battery only drains 2-3% when I'm sleeping, I'm gonna try to run this till tomorrow night with normal use to see if it can last.

So let's see if 60 hours with 4 hours of screen time, 1 hour of streaming music, and several phone calls is possible.

Jim

I'm eligible for an upgrade and have been patiently waiting for a better deal on the Galaxy Nexus (Costco has them for $219 right now BTW) and keeping up on it fairly regularly, and instead today jumped on the Razr Maxx Buy 1 Get 1 free deal for my wife and I. I have the Droid Incredible, she has the original Razr still, hah.

Plus we had an extra $30 upgrade credit, so it end up costing about $135 per Maxx. Crazy deal I just couldn't pass up, especially with the great reviews and word of mouth. Was sold out everywhery so had to order it online! I see retailmenot has a $50 off code also for those who are new customers.

rozay

Banned
Well, it is it's own fullscreen thing, so I'm not really judging it as part of the overall experience, just on its own terms.

Oh snap, unlimited trial and flac support. You are a great guy!

edit - relies on Android's own media support, so again no flac support for me :(

Come on, HTC. Release the update already!

No, guys, seriously, all these apps work in full screen and I rarely use widgets so the look of sense doesn't cloud my opinion on the look of individual apps - they either look great or they don't; it doesn't matter if they fit with sense or not.
Poweramp supports gapless flac playback, but it's a 3-4 week trial unfortunately. It is the best music player on android unless you need google music suppor though.

r1chard

Has there been any whiff of a release date for the Acer A700? So far I've only seen Euro pricing, but no solid release date (just "second quarter"). I was kinda hoping to pick one up while in the US in April...

Okay, I'll preparing to root my phone. One of the first steps I'm supposed to do is to make sure adb drivers for my phone are installed - are those installed to my computer or phone? I downloaded said drivers but I'm not sure how to install them. :(

I'm eligible for an upgrade and have been patiently waiting for a better deal on the Galaxy Nexus (Costco has them for $219 right now BTW) and keeping up on it fairly regularly, and instead today jumped on the Razr Maxx Buy 1 Get 1 free deal for my wife and I. I have the Droid Incredible, she has the original Razr still, hah.

Plus we had an extra $30 upgrade credit, so it end up costing about $135 per Maxx. Crazy deal I just couldn't pass up, especially with the great reviews and word of mouth. Was sold out everywhery so had to order it online! I see retailmenot has a $50 off code also for those who are new customers.

Isn't the g-nex 100 on amazon?

I had to order it too, phone looks amazing I have the droid incredible too, the battery has gone to the dumpster at this point.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Isn't the g-nex 100 on amazon?

New customers only it looks like. $229 for current users.

I had to order it too, phone looks amazing I have the droid incredible too, the battery has gone to the dumpster at this point.

Well, the battery is replaceable so you could have just got one for $5 on ebay. Legitimate OEM HTC battery, too. Can even go with a slightly bigger capacity one like I did (1500mah vs. 1300mah)

Guess it's too late for you now, but for anyone else out there. Don't live with shitty batteries, just spend a few bucks and get a new one.

You might as well pay the $5 for PowerAmp, it's worth it. Gapless playback, FLAC support, custom playlists, and it uses it's own audio framework instead of the built-in Android one which gives me better audio quality on my Tuna.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Galaxy Tab 2:

galaxy-tab-2-1329135312.jpg

It looks like Samsung has just taken the wraps off its latest tablet offerings, with the Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) -- an ICS-laced follow-up to the company's original seven-incher. The redux doesn't mark a huge departure from its predecessor, packing a 1GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM and a 1024 x 600 LCD. The big changes, however, come in the software department, with the Galaxy Tab 2 shipping with Android 4.0 straight out of the box. Other than that, you'll find a three-megapixel rear-facing camera, a VGA shooter up front, WiFi and Bluetooth capabilities, along with HSPA+ connectivity. No word yet on pricing or availability, but it's worth noting that we first saw this announcement hit Samsung's RSS feed earlier this morning, and it appears to have been pulled since then. It all looks awfully official to us, but when it becomes officially official, we'll be sure to update this post accordingly. Until then, be sure to head past the break for a shot of its backside.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/13/samsung-announces-galaxy-tab-2-android-4.0/

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sounds like Tab 1 owners won't be getting an ICS update.

Sarcasm

What's the difference between the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus and the Galaxy Tab 2?

Edit: Whoa, the Galaxy Tab 7.7 has been out for months?! Does anybody own one? I want.

If your international yes.

Whats weird is why does the note have 1280x800 resolution this one is less?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom