• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threi

notag
Quadrant scores are still meaningless (for comparing phones at least)

got 2100 on a single-core infuse, just because the ROM i'm on has performance tweaks.

Ashhong

it says its erasing everything on it> being checked> then preparing it. the notification wont go away and i still cant mount it. my computer aslo only recognizes the phone even when i choose the degug option. i can't plug the card in at the moment cause i cant find my adapter.

No clue then. Are you rooted? You could format it inside of CWM if you are. I would have Amazon ship you another one. They do a thing where they send it out first and then you mail yours back now.

dtrack

ibrJgVOS3Q4EhU.gif

Clearly that article was very biased, I just didn't expect this level of trolling from an editor though. Yes, there is a resemblance to an iPhone, but that stops at the screen. As for more models, apparently more choice is a BAD thing. :lol:

The Note is a great phone/tablet, I've had one since launch and not once have I been ridiculed for using it as a phone. As for one handed use, I knew the limitations of using the Note with one hand when I got the Note. But I'll tell you what, the typing experience on this phone is really good thanks to the huge screen. This phone is simply amazing, the big HD OLED screen is really something to behold, and the battery life is really great. Performance is better than nearly all the existing phones out there, and this is on Gingerbread. I can't even imagine what ICS would be like. All this still fits in my pocket just fine.

I just hate the way how the article seems to make out that us Note owners are idiots who do not know what we are buying and instead should stick to smaller devices. It was not long ago where the HTC HD2 was considered HUGE and now that screen size is now the norm.

I laugh heartily at the folks in this thread who try and justify their Galaxy Nexus purchase, and claim that it is the best android phone out there. No, it is not, it has piss poor battery life, no microSD card slot, and a sub-par camera in comparison to the Note.

But I'm not a hater of the Nexus or any particular phone, I'm just writing out my thoughts about what I've seen in this thread and in other places.

kinggroin

Banned

ibrJgVOS3Q4EhU.gif

Clearly that article was very biased, I just didn't expect this level of trolling from an editor though. Yes, there is a resemblance to an iPhone, but that stops at the screen. As for more models, apparently more choice is a BAD thing. :lol:

The Note is a great phone/tablet, I've had one since launch and not once have I been ridiculed for using it as a phone. As for one handed use, I knew the limitations of using the Note with one hand when I got the Note. But I'll tell you what, the typing experience on this phone is really good thanks to the huge screen. This phone is simply amazing, the big HD OLED screen is really something to behold, and the battery life is really great. Performance is better than nearly all the existing phones out there, and this is on Gingerbread. I can't even imagine what ICS would be like. All this still fits in my pocket just fine.

I just hate the way how the article seems to make out that us Note owners are idiots who do not know what we are buying and instead should stick to smaller devices. It was not long ago where the HTC HD2 was considered HUGE and now that screen size is now the norm.

I laugh heartily at the folks in this thread who try and justify their Galaxy Nexus purchase, and claim that it is the best android phone out there. No, it is not, it has piss poor battery life, no microSD card slot, and a sub-par camera in comparison to the Note.

But I'm not a hater of the Nexus or any particular phone, I'm just writing out my thoughts about what I've seen in this thread and in other places.

Seems you and the writer of that piece are cut from the same cloth.

Quadrant scores are still meaningless (for comparing phones at least)

got 2100 on a single-core infuse, just because the ROM i'm on has performance tweaks.

Thats the exact point of doing performance tweaks so I'm not sure why you'd say its wothless.

Additional performance is the main reason people use custom roms.

dtrack

Seems you and the writer of that piece are cut from the same cloth.

Not really.

I'm laughing at the fact that some people are delusional and think that one single device is perfect. There isn't.

I'm amused at how you bolded some sentences out of context. Bravo!

dtrack

The perfect device is pretty subjective to different people. I view the Nexus as an inferior device, and you probably view every other phone out there as inferior. So let's leave it at that.

Sarcasm

Yeah, I'm waiting to compare the international and NA versions of the Note, and see how Samsung handles the ICS update. But that 7.7 SuperAmoled+ screen sure is tempting

Well if its like the GN the NA Note with LTE wil be slightly less than the international GN without the LTE. Won't matter too much the difference shouldn't be that noticable, they do put a nice sized battery in there.

ICS should help, it seems to be more optimized.

Btw I have a Note.

Nymerio

Posted this in the Nexus thread but I might as well ask here too:

I'm pretty new to all this android stuff and I really need some help. I got my Nexus about a week ago and rooted the same day with the GnexRootToolkit. I have not yet flashed any roms or whatever. My phone is now prompting me to install an update to 4.0.2, can I install this without loosing root?

What rom would you guys recommend and do I have to wipe everything again once I decide to flash?

yogloo

The phone is too big. You will look stupid talking on it, people will laugh at you, and you’ll be unhappy if you buy it. I really can’t get around this, unfortunately, because Samsung pushed things way too far this time.

You can’t use it one-handed, and I can’t even type on it easily with two hands.

Yeah... This is definitely trolling or he has really really small hands.

kinggroin

Banned
Not really.

I'm laughing at the fact that some people are delusional and think that one single device is perfect. There isn't.

I'm amused at how you bolded some sentences out of context. Bravo!

Thinking a particular phone out there is the best one and it being perfect are two very different things. I'm sure everyone with a GN in this or the OT thread will acknowledge it's imperfections.

You being laughed at for buying a note when you praise it, and then turning around and laughing at GN owners who praise theirs is rather silly.

tino

Banned
Galaxy Note is the best Android phone.

People who started their smartphone life with the iPaq/Handspring phones don't need to justify the Galaxy Note to the noobs.

dtrack

Thinking a particular phone out there is the best one and it being perfect are two very different things. I'm sure everyone with a GN in this or the OT thread will acknowledge it's imperfections.

You being laughed at for buying a note when you praise it, and then turning around and laughing at GN owners who praise theirs is rather silly.

What?

THIS is what I'm laughing at. Either you're reading too much into my posts or I have not made my posts clear enough. If it is the latter then I take blame for that.

A device being the best or perfect is subjective to each individual. Both these phones are good, both have their flaws, but my preference is the Note. I shouldn't think there should be anything else to discuss about this topic now.

Kagami

I’m almost offended by this product
I feel like no one else is saying this, and since I’ve not ever been one to hold back what’s on my mind I absolutely will — enough is enough. I’ve had it with incremental updates to Android smartphones every two weeks, I’ve had it with the super-sized ridiculousness, and I’ve had it with all of these marketing gimmicks. Just focus on a quality product, and you won’t have to release eight “flagship” models a year.
Poor guy. How much longer must he suffer beneath the cruel heel of product variety?
My prayers are with you, sir. Godspeed.

gcubed

as long as apple doesn't make something that size, its a horrible user experience. Just like larger screens are horrible experiences and people can't use them... until Apple makes a 4" screen, and then 4" screen's are fine.

Zeppu

as long as apple doesn't make something that size, its a horrible user experience. Just like larger screens are horrible experiences and people can't use them... until Apple makes a 4" screen, and then 4" screen's are fine.

Didn't you hear? Hands are inexplicably growing in size everywhere around the world.

tokkun

I mostly agree with that BGR article, with the exception that I think the stylus is great and should not be ignored as a feature of the Note. It pretty much destroyed my interest in getting any future tablet without Wacom.

It's definitely too big to be used as a phone for me because it fails the crucial test of "can I take it out of my front jeans pocket without standing up". If I carried a purse or wore cargo pants/slacks more often it might be viable. Like the author, I'm getting really frustrated with the trend of high end Android phones only being available in ever-increasing sizes. I already felt like the Evo was too big at 4.3". The Note works as a replacement for my notepad, but not for my phone.

i've been anxious to hear about how day three went with the Maxx. Did you finally have to plug it in?

Didn't think anyone cared, but yes I finally plugged it in yesterday when it hit 10% at 2pm. I had an unexpected phone call which lasted a little over an hour on Sunday night that drained my battery 7% so I think that 21.5 hour estimated talk time is false. I started the day yesterday morning at 26% battery. On screen time was only about 45 minutes but I was on LTE most of the day.

So over all I got 56 hours total hours, 3 hours and 45 minutes of on screen time , over an hour of talk time, one hour of streaming music. Don't know how much longer it would have lasted if I let it drain all the way, but I already did that once when I first got the phone and don't want to do that to the battery too often.

One thing to note though is I only have my gmail account and corporate email account on sync (push so they show up as they come), everything is on manual sync. Also 2/3 of the time was on wifi.

esai

No clue then. Are you rooted? You could format it inside of CWM if you are. I would have Amazon ship you another one. They do a thing where they send it out first and then you mail yours back now.
Unfortunately i'm not rooted. I tried getting the return, but their site keeps telling me that there was an error so I emailed them. I appreciate the help.

MMaRsu

Guys please I need some help.. I have had my SGII for quite some time now, but ever since I tried updating my phone over wireless it can't install the update after 21%, I'm still on android 2.3.4 and I really want to update to 2.3.6

I can't hook the goddamn thing up to Kies through USB because for some crazy reason it says unsupported device. I don't really want to factory reset my phone because I'll lose all my data and I cant backup my phone stuff now since I can't hook it up to usb.. shit.

Any help? :(((

kehs

Banned
Guys please I need some help.. I have had my SGII for quite some time now, but ever since I tried updating my phone over wireless it can't install the update after 21%, I'm still on android 2.3.4 and I really want to update to 2.3.6

I can't hook the goddamn thing up to Kies through USB because for some crazy reason it says unsupported device. I don't really want to factory reset my phone because I'll lose all my data and I cant backup my phone stuff now since I can't hook it up to usb.. shit.

Have you grabbed the usb drivers from samsung's site?

Doopliss

For connecting with Kies, make sure USB debugging is disabled. I think it's in Settings -> Applications -> Development

If that doesn't work it's easy to flash any official ROM with a program called Odin. Link here (assuming your GS2 is a i9100)

Are you using a 3rd party launcher (LauncherPro or ADW), because kies updates will only work with touchwiz.

For connecting with Kies, make sure USB debugging is disabled. I think it's in Settings -> Applications -> Development

If that doesn't work it's easy to flash any official ROM with a program called Odin. Link here (assuming your GS2 is a i9100)

Yeah I flash with Odin and still keep user data. You just have to get the right file. (some preserve data, others are a factory reset)

jokkir

I think I'm going to stick using CM9 on my Nexus S. Although it's not complete yet, it offers more features than the stock rom.

Hopefully it's stable

Some people are fine with it, and that's totally ok, but I can't even believe for one second people are gonna front like the Note isn't comically large.

But if you're cool with it you're cool with it.

Futureman

Some people are fine with it, and that's totally ok, but I can't even believe for one second people are gonna front like the Note isn't comically large.

But if you're cool with it you're cool with it.

Only Note I've seen in real life was a smallish Asian girl who came into my work.

It maybe even makes more sense for women to use this phone as you can throw it in your purse instead of needing to keep your phone in your pockets.

PARANO1A

I had the 'unsupported device' error on my Nexus when using a cheap USB cable. If you are using a third party cable try going with the official one.

LeleSocho

Banned
An advice for anyone who wants to buy a new smartphone:

DO NOT BUY A PHONE WITH (S)AMOLED SCREEN.

Galaxy S2 owner here and now thanks to this screen i hate this phone, the (S)AMOLED screens have a lot of problems an in my opinion the technology isn't mature enough for mass production, every phone i've seen with (s)amoled screens (Nexus S's, Galaxy S's, Galaxy S2s, Lumia 800's and Galaxy Note) have a series of defects that obviously can't be connected to bad luck like someone would say to you...
The problems i've seen are these:
Discoloration (the screen presents discoloration, from what i've seen most of the times the discoloration tends to be pinkish)
Color sensitive discolorations (like above but this appear only when the on the screen are displayed some colors, the most noticeable are the yellow spot when gray is displayed, usually it's on the sides of the screen)
Image retention (the screen will have a retention of the previously displayed image if it was darker than the current one)
Also a lot of them are Pentile screens which means less subpixel and not the same color fidelity of the RGB ones (but this isn't a defect per se but more lika a characteristic of some displays)
Obviously the technology have tempting qualities such as way more vivid and warmer colors and (even if it isn't too noticeable) better power consumptions but that's it, they have problems and like i said isn't bad luck because i sent the phone 2 times to Samsung to change the screen and every phone with (s)amoled i've seen had at least 2 of the problem i've listed.

Obviously this message is to the people that hate to have a not perfect screen and have to pay a lot of money to have a product that have such defects that aren't mentioned most of the times in reviews and such, for the people who can get over these problems good for them because aside from the problem mentioned before they are stunning screens...
I hope this could help someone and sorry for the bad English ( it took 30 mins to write this :/ )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom