• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The ring lock they use in ICS and Honeycomb is great and doesn't seem to violate Apple's patent so I don't know why they would need to go with anything else.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Just read Engadget's USA note review. So, you get Snapdragon? I pity you guys, :(.

But also worries me... will this interfere with my ICS update? :8

jokkir

Aside from the battery life, how's the Razr Maxx as an Android phone? The battery life is definitely a plus already so I was wondering if the phone itself was any good and/or the modding community.

Blackhead

Redarse

So the menu button is still a menu button under ICS? What brings up the recent apps list? Is the improperly scaled/lack of zoom in the mail and browser views fixed yet?

GSMArena has a video up by the way, along with this tidbit:
It also seems Samsung will have a couple of nice surprises for us. While digging into the setting mode we noticed two new options – the first of those enables the displaying of the battery percentage over its icon, while the other improves one-hand usability of the Note by making keyboards use just a part of its screen.

thaOwner

I just picked up the Samsung Galaxy S2,T mobile variant. Last Android phone I had was the nexus one. I have a few questions:

Can someone please provide me with a link that will help me root the phone ?

Any stable roms recommendation ?

gcubed

so MWC needs to hurry up and get here with phones released. This seems like such a long time for ICS to not be pushed out. Its hampering my love of the phone. They need more devices out there to push compatibility of apps. Oh, and we need more 720p phones because some companies are inept at creating a scalable app.

jayb

I just picked up the Samsung Galaxy S2,T mobile variant. Last Android phone I had was the nexus one. I have a few questions:

Can someone please provide me with a link that will help me root the phone ?

Any stable roms recommendation ?
I haven't rooted mine yet, but ive seen tutorial threads on the xda and rootzwiki forums for the t989.

Blackhead

Redarse
so MWC needs to hurry up and get here with phones released. This seems like such a long time for ICS to not be pushed out. Its hampering my love of the phone. They need more devices out there to push compatibility of apps. Oh, and we need more 720p phones because some companies are inept at creating a scalable app.

Yeah. Developers have been slow to update for ICS and I can't blame them. What's on the list of compatible apps:

1. Rdio
  2. ...

?

So it's come down to platform infighting?

God I can't wait for a GSIII with CM9 to shut us all up

If it doesn't run an official stock Android which is updated directly by Google themselves, I won't care even if the GSIII has a 12-core Core i7 CPU and Nvidia GTX 690M inside of it yet still gets 30 hours of battery life a charge. ICS has been out how long now, 4 months? And still the only phone which comes with that OS on it is still the Tuna. A phone is both hardware and software, and if you buy anything other than a Nexus device you're basically saying you don't care about the software these days, because the manufacturers certainly don't. Most of Motorola's devices not getting ICS until Q3 would be just about the funniest thing I've seen all day if it weren't also so sad.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If it doesn't run an official stock Android which is updated directly by Google themselves, I won't care even if the GSIII has a 12-core Core i7 CPU and Nvidia GTX 690M inside of it yet still gets 30 hours of battery life a charge. ICS has been out how long now, 4 months? And still the only phone which comes with that OS on it is still the Tuna. A phone is both hardware and software, and if you buy anything other than a Nexus device you're basically saying you don't care about the software these days, because the manufacturers certainly don't. Most of Motorola's devices not getting ICS until Q3 would be just about the funniest thing I've seen all day if it weren't also so sad.

Or you are saying you are willing to geek out and install your own roms.

Or you are saying you are willing to geek out and install your own roms.

We already know the number of people who install custom ROMs is very tiny compared to the installed base. In the case of companies like Motorola which lock and encrypt bootloaders, sometimes it's impossible. And then there's the problem of depending on the community for custom ROMs, development and support is great for phones with huge user bases like International Galaxy S, GSII, and Note. What about the US carrier variants of GSII, like the AT&T Galaxy S II Skyrocket? What about phones like the HTC Thunderbolt, or the Droid Charge, or some other US-only phone with a tiny user base? Those will never get the community support they need, they will never get CM9/ICS. They're fucked.

kehs

Banned
Galaxy Nexus by Motorola

motorola-tegra-3.jpg

http://androidandme.com/2012/02/devices/is-this-the-motorola-atrix-3-with-quad-core-tegra-3/

--------------

Achos 35 Home Review - Resistive touch screen...wtf

We already know the number of people who install custom ROMs is very tiny compared to the installed base. In the case of companies like Motorola which lock and encrypt bootloaders, sometimes it's impossible. And then there's the problem of depending on the community for custom ROMs, development and support is great for phones with huge user bases like International Galaxy S, GSII, and Note. What about the US carrier variants of GSII, like the AT&T Galaxy S II Skyrocket? What about phones like the HTC Thunderbolt, or the Droid Charge, or some other US-only phone with a tiny user base? Those will never get the community support they need, they will never get CM9/ICS. They're fucked.
you said *you* wouldn't care though.

you said *you* wouldn't care though.

Why would I personally? I saw all the pitfalls I just described and went with the Best Galaxy because I had a Droid X previously and I know about locked bootloaders and the community only supporting the really popular phones (usually only the International versions, rarely the US versions) with ROMs.

jayb

I don't know about the other phones you mentioned, but I do know that ICS roms are being worked on for all GSII variants, including the Skyrocket.

Some of us chose a non-nexus simply because our carrier doesn't carry the GN, and we're not willing to switch carriers or pay up the wazzo to import the GSM version.

yogloo

So the menu button is still a menu button under ICS? What brings up the recent apps list? Is the improperly scaled/lack of zoom in the mail and browser views fixed yet?

GSMArena has a video up by the way, along with this tidbit:

Menu button is still menu button. You bring up task switcher by doing a long press on the hardware button.

The improperly zoom in gmail app is not fixed.

I found several bugs related to setting wallpaper. The note is being set to max 1200 mhz in this leak compared to stock rom at 1400. Everything is really smooth though. Browsing with chrome is simply godtier. Very very smooth and fast.

Does anyone have any recommendation for ICS ready apps?

AndyD

aka andydumi
That link says its moving to first to file ?

Yes. Moving away form invent to file. Much more streamlined and encourages filing and disclosure over hiding. Of course it raises other concerns but at least it lines us up witht he rest of the world.

Ferrio

Banned
Grrr so pissed.

Wake up this morning, phone is fine. Put it in my pocket, get to work and notice my pocket is getting really hot. Take it out and it's stuck on the CM bootscreen. It's looping can't get it unstuck. Okay a little of a hassle but no problem just flash a new rom on it. What pisses me off is there's NO ICS and very little in the way of custom roms for the AT&T S2. While the regular version has tons of stuff for it... UGH.

This is the most stupid shit I've ever heard. I agree a phone is a combination of both hardware and software but you have to look at what each of these components bring to the table in terms of functionality and productivity. At this point, what does ICS provide that Gingerbread doesn't? Face unlock? HW acceleration? Chrome beta? Virtually every app is compatible and works great with Gingerbread. ICS is still not ready for prime time and you even mentioned the latest 4.04 release fixed a bunch of issues. 4.04 is not even officially available yet.

So you rather have a gimped phone with inferior battery life, inferior reception, and bad speakers than a superior phone that let's you use it use it wherever you want, whenever you want, just because it has the latest OS version that doesn't provide significant tangible benefits and isn't mainstream yet? Your fanboyism for the Galaxy Nexus is off the charts.

kehs

Banned
Zomg Google did patent the notification bar. Let's see how this plays out

Trolls gonna troll.

So you rather have a gimped phone with inferior battery life, inferior reception, and bad speakers than a superior phone that let's you use it use it wherever you want, whenever you want, just because it has the latest OS version that doesn't provide significant tangible benefits and isn't mainstream yet? Your fanboyism for the Galaxy Nexus is off the charts.

There's alot of system stuff added between GB and HC.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-3.0.html

Start there from there and work your way up to 4.0.

Most of these features can be had with custom launchers and 3rd party apps. You can argue it's not as elegant or good as the ICS features but it's still available. I'll take superior hardware ("12-core CPU, insane GPU chip, and 30 hour battery life lol") over these features any day. And it's not like the Galaxy S3 is not going to come with ICS anyways.

zoku88

Loads. All over my face.

On a Mac connected via ethernet thru a router. Under Mac network settings, my DNS is set as 75.75.76.76. and 75.75.75.75 which is correct according to http://dns.comcast.net/dns-ip-addresses.php

does the order matter?

is it something I need to change on the router??

Try just using different DNS servers. I actually don't like comcast's

Try openDNS or try Google's (easy to remember, 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4)

kinggroin

Banned
Most of these features can be had with custom launchers and 3rd party apps. You can argue it's not as elegant or good as the ICS features but it's still available. I'll take superior hardware ("12-core CPU, insane GPU chip, and 30 hour battery life lol") over these features any day. And it's not like the Galaxy S3 is not going to come with ICS anyways.

All those cores mean absolutely dick if you don't have software to leverage them.

Of course, if you prefer to stay on the antiquated GB and resort to a bunch of third party apps to augment the experience of an non HW accelerated OS, I can see why you want 12 cores.

16 cores, or bust

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
The battery in my GS2 Epic 4G has been acting up lately. Look at this:

426313_10151322621720604_873115603_23738083_373758160_n.jpg

Its only 4 months old. I am starting to believe no phone can last 6+ months with me =/

All those cores mean absolutely dick if you don't have software to leverage them.

Of course, if you prefer to stay on the antiquated GB and resort to a bunch of third party apps to augment the experience of an non HW accelerated OS, I can see why you want 12 cores.

16 cores, or bust
You are right about the CPU. But I'd rather have a phone where I can reliably get a signal, use it for more than two hours instead of leaving it in my pocket for 30, and can hear my phone ring without a hearing aid than jizz over how great chrome beta is. Lol at needing 12 cores for using 3rd party apps and antiquated os. But enough trolling, this best galaxy shit is getting ridicilous. We get it, the gnex is the best thing since sliced bread and every other phone is crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom