• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

saunderez

The battery in my GS2 Epic 4G has been acting up lately. Look at this:

Its only 4 months old. I am starting to believe no phone can last 6+ months with me =/

Something (most likely an app) is preventing your phone from sleeping when the screen is off. There is a hell of a lot more awake time there than there should be given the screen time.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Something (most likely an app) is preventing your phone from sleeping when the screen is off. There is a hell of a lot more awake time there than there should be given the screen time.

Aahhh that's Pandora. What I find extremely weird are those spikes... Its like the battery recharges itself. I am sure its due to a Calibration issue so I am gonna try to recalibrate it and see if it goes away.

kinggroin

Banned
You are right about the CPU. But I'd rather have a phone where I can reliably get a signal, use it for more than two hours instead of leaving it in my pocket for 30, and can hear my phone ring without a hearing aid than jizz over how great chrome beta is. Lol at needing 12 cores for using 3rd party apps and antiquated os. But enough trolling, this best galaxy shit is getting ridicilous. We get it, the gnex is the best thing since sliced bread and every other phone is crap.

You're really taking this shit way too seriously. Like, console gaming side seriously.

All this best galaxy nonsense is just silly chest thumping. No one actually thinks all other phones are crap.

Korey

Anyone have experience with the LG Enlighten (verizon)?

I'm looking to get a really cheap smartphone (used) and that one seems to fit the bill

Goldrush

Anyone have experience with the LG Enlighten (verizon)?

I'm looking to get a really cheap smartphone (used) and that one seems to fit the bill

Never heard anyone say good things about LG smartphones. Considering the cost of a data plan, you shouldn't go cheap on on the phone.

Korey

Never heard anyone say good things about LG smartphones. Considering the cost of a data plan, you shouldn't go cheap on on the phone.

I'm going with Page Plus ($30 a year) with no data plan (wifi only)

Just want to get my feet wet with smartphones since I have to buy a new phone anyway.

Circle T

You are right. It's just a stupid phone. I feel stupid responding like that.

Besides, it's all a subjective thing anyway. I like the color blue, Pepsi, and Mustangs, whereas you might like green, Coke and Camaros. For ANY of us to try and honestly say which phone is the definitive "Best Galaxy" is pretty ridiculous. Let's all just drop it, enjoy the amazing hardware we all own, and move along with things. New phones announced in a week or so will likely dwarf everything we all own anyway.

*AndroidGAF group hug*

kehs

Banned
Besides we all know the Continuum is the Best Galaxy, ahead of it's time, with it's dual screens for soft keys.

Circle T

Besides we all know the Continuum is the Best Galaxy, ahead of it's time, with it's dual screens for soft keys.

Speaking of, I never really followed anything with the Continuum. Was the second screen the cause of all the update delays/issues, or was is more Samsung/VZW didn't give a shit because it didn't sell well (did it)?

kehs

Banned
Speaking of, I never really followed anything with the Continuum. Was the second screen the cause of all the update delays/issues, or was is more Samsung/VZW didn't give a shit because it didn't sell well (did it)?

Probably the latter. I still remember the rumors that the Nexus S was supposed to be announce at the same time. lol

markot

Banned
My phone gets realllllly hot when I play a certain game, should I avoid the game? Or is it just the awesome boiling up through the hardware >.>?

tino

Banned
I'm going with Page Plus ($30 a year) with no data plan (wifi only)

Just want to get my feet wet with smartphones since I have to buy a new phone anyway.

I would go with an original Droid. It has no locked bootloader and its dead simple to flash new rom on it. Plus it was very popular and support is very easy to find.

You should be able to find a refub/new one for 120-140.

Al-ibn Kermit

My phone gets realllllly hot when I play a certain game, should I avoid the game? Or is it just the awesome boiling up through the hardware >.>?

What phone is it? My GS2 gets a bit hot when I play some games, but I think that's just because of the thin back cover.

jey_16

Banned
Well I'm surprised.....I took my dad to look for a phone to replace his HD2 and I was sure he would go for the iPhone but he wasn't interested at all, out off all the HTC variants, (which all look the same now) Xperia Arc S and various Galaxy's he picked the nexus as his favourite. I told him to wait though because the Note is meant to come out here soon and I really want to see how that compares with my s2.

Also, windows phone is actually a decent OS after playing around with it for a bit.....the hardware is just terrible, still no Lumia or Titan here in Australia which is pathetic

godnorazi

Banned
worth selling my htc sensation (asian unlocked version) for ~$400 and grabbing an unlocked galaxy nexus for $550?

sensation
+ more portable form factor
+ microSD
- awful dev support

nexus
+ 720p OLED!
+ 720p OLED!
+ 720p OLED!
+ dev/cyanogen support
- mediocre camera optics

Jim

Aside from the battery life, how's the Razr Maxx as an Android phone? The battery life is definitely a plus already so I was wondering if the phone itself was any good and/or the modding community.
Just got 2 Maxx phones thanks to the b1g1 deal and they are great so far.
Built well but still thin, fast, nice display, and the battery lasts forever.
Definitely worth checking out.

DarkFlow

Banned

My old og Droid used to do that when I overclocked it, nothing bad ever happened to it. So no need to worry really.

My Rezound gets rather hot under certain games. Check the temperature tolerances for your model to be safe, but you're probably OK. These things have 1.5ghz dual cores and no active cooling. Heat is inevitable.

MrBig

So if I were to get an Incredible 2 though Amazon Wireless would the $0.01 be the actual price I pay (not considering data) when I have had the same basic phone for the last ~4 years?
I assume you just bring it into a physical verizon store or call to activate.

Dev support seems to be healthy and it's officially getting ICS so I don't see any problems on that end.

Circle T

So if I were to get an Incredible 2 though Amazon Wireless would the $0.01 be the actual price I pay (not considering data) when I have had the same basic phone for the last ~4 years?
I assume you just bring it into a physical verizon store or call to activate.

Dev support seems to be healthy and it's officially getting ICS so I don't see any problems on that end.

Amazon Wireless will ask during the purchase for your account phone number, and can activate the phone on your account, and it will show up all ready to go. When I bought my Droid Charge from them, it was all ready to go when I opened the box. I still had to call in, though, because the LTE SIM wasn't active. The Incredible, though, doesn't have a SIM, so it should be ready to rock right out of the box.

moojito

So I'm thinking of diving into the murky world of smart phone ownership for the first time. Since I don't know how much I'll find myself using it I'm taking some other good sounding advice and getting one of the cheaper ones to see how it suits me then maybe get a better one next time around.

Anyway, the one I'm looking at is the galaxy ace which I can see on amazon for £173 sim free. I was planning on going with giffgaf's £10 a month unlimited internet type sim only deal.

One thing that I reckon is a good idea based on the random stuff I've been looking up is installing the cf7.. thing. rom? whatever. I believe as a requirement for it you need android 2.3, which I've read the galaxy ace supports, but on the amazon page there it says it comes with 2.2.

Does anyone know if indeed cf7 works on the galaxy ace? would I be able to just get an upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3 from the samsung site and then install cf7 from there?

Also, if any of you lot own or have owned a galaxy ace, any good or bad opinions of it? Most reviews I've read say it's pretty decent value for the money.

MrBig

Amazon Wireless will ask during the purchase for your account phone number, and can activate the phone on your account, and it will show up all ready to go. When I bought my Droid Charge from them, it was all ready to go when I opened the box. I still had to call in, though, because the LTE SIM wasn't active. The Incredible, though, doesn't have a SIM, so it should be ready to rock right out of the box.

I'll probably walk into the Verizon store today or tomorrow to ask so I can be sure, but the contract is what I'm most worried about. I have only owned one phone and so I have the upgrade/discount promotions from verizon retained from when they still had that program, so would getting a new phone require an early termination fee?

Does anyone know if indeed cf7 works on the galaxy ace? would I be able to just get an upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3 from the samsung site and then install cf7 from there?
Are you referring to Cyanogen Mod (CM7 or CM9)? Check the phone's subforum on XDA Developers for everything you need to know.

So I'm thinking of diving into the murky world of smart phone ownership for the first time. Since I don't know how much I'll find myself using it I'm taking some other good sounding advice and getting one of the cheaper ones to see how it suits me then maybe get a better one next time around.

Anyway, the one I'm looking at is the galaxy ace which I can see on amazon for £173 sim free. I was planning on going with giffgaf's £10 a month unlimited internet type sim only deal.

One thing that I reckon is a good idea based on the random stuff I've been looking up is installing the cf7.. thing. rom? whatever. I believe as a requirement for it you need android 2.3, which I've read the galaxy ace supports, but on the amazon page there it says it comes with 2.2.

Also, if any of you lot own or have owned a galaxy ace, any good or bad opinions of it? Most reviews I've read say it's pretty decent value for the money.
i assume you mean CM7 and i would suggest just using the phone unmodified for a few months before deciding to try a custom rom.

moojito

Are you referring to Cyanogen Mod (CM7 or CM9)? Check the phone's subforum on XDA Developers for everything you need to know.

Ah, yes. cm7 it was. I saw a graph and it showed it something like doubled the performance of the phone on some benchmark. That's quite something.

Cheers for the link to the forum, I'm sure that'll come in handy.

i assume you mean CM7 and i would suggest just using the phone unmodified for a few months before deciding to try a custom rom.

Aye, that's a good point, it will certainly be a good idea to do that in case there's any problems with the phone itself. Also to appreciate the difference before and after.

Just got 2 Maxx phones thanks to the b1g1 deal and they are great so far.
Built well but still thin, fast, nice display, and the battery lasts forever.
Definitely worth checking out.
I'd assume so, but do you have to have two lines on Verizon that are eligible for an upgrade to get this deal?

Circle T

I'll probably walk into the Verizon store today or tomorrow to ask so I can be sure, but the contract is what I'm most worried about. I have only owned one phone and so I have the upgrade/discount promotions from verizon retained from when they still had that program, so would getting a new phone require an early termination fee?

An ETF is only charged when you are ending a contract early. So, unless you renewed a contract with then recently, you shouldn't have anything. And given that you've owned the same phone for that long, I would doubt it. Like you said, though, can't hurt to just go talk to them and ask.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I just received an invite to music beta on my phone. Does this mean it's available in Canada now?

Huh? Sweet, hope that means a world-wide rollout is near!

(I don't really care about the music store, since I still buy physical CDs (WUT!), I just want the uploading and streaming.)

kehs

Banned
I just received an invite to music beta on my phone. Does this mean it's available in Canada now?

Or the hat is officially part of america's ensemble now.

How any of you people actually use music streaming? Doesn't it kill your battery super fast? I'd rather just have the files on my phone. Of course, I haven't used Google Music yet, being in Canada...

I usually stream over wifi, so I'm usually near a charger anyway. I have a paltry 16 gig phone(awesome Googs!), and about 30 gigs of music.

Cudder

How any of you people actually use music streaming? Doesn't it kill your battery super fast? I'd rather just have the files on my phone. Of course, I haven't used Google Music yet, being in Canada...

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I'm mostly excited about having access to my entire music library on my phone at any time, and the ability to change up what's available locally on my phone when I feel like it (sure, I can already do the latter, but not as easily). I probably wouldn't actually stream all that much music since I imagine that'd burn through my monthly data allowance pretty quickly. Or would it? If I upload a 10 MB song to Google Music, and then stream that song to my phone, does it actually use 10 MB of data or is the music further compressed when streaming to a phone?

Husker86

The thing I like about Google Music is I can have my most used playlists/albums cached locally on the phone so the majority of the time I'm not streaming. However my whole library is available to me at any time without taking up space. Plus it's nice that I can listen on any computer as well.

gcubed

use music streaming every single day. Don't notice a big difference in battery life at all.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I use Google music (in Canada :p) and it's awesome. I mostly use it to cache playlists to my phone so it doesn't use any bandwidth whatsoever.

Hi guys, well my girlfriend dropped my desire hd and smashed the glass on the screen still works thankfully though I do keep getting glass splinters in my fingers, I was worrying it'd cost me a fortune to fix but as luck would have it I rang up and found out I'm due an upgrade in 2 weeks, cool I can cope that long with the the sharp pains

So now the question is which phone to go for next, I've basically got 2 choices either the HTC sensation XE or the Samsung galaxy nexus

Cudder

The thing I like about Google Music is I can have my most used playlists/albums cached locally on the phone so the majority of the time I'm not streaming. However my whole library is available to me at any time without taking up space. Plus it's nice that I can listen on any computer as well.

That's cool, didn't know you could do that. I guess that you cache those things when you're at home or connected to wifi? I mean, caching things on your phone while out and about on 3G still means it downloads the songs to your phone, right? Or...

JordanKZ

Hi guys, well my girlfriend dropped my desire hd and smashed the glass on the screen still works thankfully though I do keep getting glass splinters in my fingers, I was worrying it'd cost me a fortune to fix but as luck would have it I rang up and found out I'm due an upgrade in 2 weeks, cool I can cope that long with the the sharp pains

So now the question is which phone to go for next, I've basically got 2 choices either the HTC sensation XE or the Samsung galaxy nexus

No contest. Galaxy Nexus, every single time.

Al-ibn Kermit

If they're the same price, then you should get the GN unless it's too big for you.

Husker86

That's cool, didn't know you could do that. I guess that you cache those things when you're at home or connected to wifi? I mean, caching things on your phone while out and about on 3G still means it downloads the songs to your phone, right? Or...

It only downloads them once. So if I check my "Favorites" playlist to be available offline, it will download those songs to its cache folder. It's called cache, but it's permanent until you uncheck the "available offline" box.

If they're the same price, then you should get the GN unless it's too big for you.

Haven't checked the exact price I'd get yet (usually get a little discount for being a good customer) but for new customers on my network its a couple of pounds extra per month for the nexus

Wouldn't have thought it'd be too big haven't held it yet but the width is pretty much the same as the DesireHD I think

get some of that wide clear tape people use on boxes and use it to cover the screen.

Galaxy Nexus

get some of that wide clear tape people use on boxes and use it to cover the screen.

Galaxy Nexus

Would the touch screen still work? And might it not do more damage when I do finally get some money together to get it fixed which I will do at some point cos I'm assuming it'll cost less to fix than I'll get selling it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom