• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doopliss

So I'm thinking of diving into the murky world of smart phone ownership for the first time. Since I don't know how much I'll find myself using it I'm taking some other good sounding advice and getting one of the cheaper ones to see how it suits me then maybe get a better one next time around.

Anyway, the one I'm looking at is the galaxy ace which I can see on amazon for £173 sim free. I was planning on going with giffgaf's £10 a month unlimited internet type sim only deal.

One thing that I reckon is a good idea based on the random stuff I've been looking up is installing the cf7.. thing. rom? whatever. I believe as a requirement for it you need android 2.3, which I've read the galaxy ace supports, but on the amazon page there it says it comes with 2.2.

Does anyone know if indeed cf7 works on the galaxy ace? would I be able to just get an upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3 from the samsung site and then install cf7 from there?

Also, if any of you lot own or have owned a galaxy ace, any good or bad opinions of it? Most reviews I've read say it's pretty decent value for the money.
If you haven't already you should watch some video reviews on youtube, they'll give you a better idea of the experience of using the phone. ROMs are phone specific so you have to check forums for your exact model to see what's available and how well they work. Stuff that's on multiple phones like Cyanogenmod or MIUI are great on some handsets but bad on others.

Good call on going with Giffgaff, but the Galaxy Ace seems expensive considering its low spec. Good deals come and go, so unless you're desperate for a smartphone straight away I'd suggest keeping an eye on http://www.hotukdeals.com/mobiles/deals/hot for a while (actually, if you're ok with Windows Phone 7, the Lumia 710 for £150 deal a way down that page seems really great, assuming it's still available).

Would the touch screen still work? And might it not do more damage when I do finally get some money together to get it fixed which I will do at some point cos I'm assuming it'll cost less to fix than I'll get selling it

yes, the touchscreen will still work, and as far as doing more damage goes... you're only putting the tape on the glass, nothing else!

So I'm thinking of diving into the murky world of smart phone ownership for the first time. Since I don't know how much I'll find myself using it I'm taking some other good sounding advice and getting one of the cheaper ones to see how it suits me then maybe get a better one next time around.

Anyway, the one I'm looking at is the galaxy ace which I can see on amazon for £173 sim free. I was planning on going with giffgaf's £10 a month unlimited internet type sim only deal.

One thing that I reckon is a good idea based on the random stuff I've been looking up is installing the cf7.. thing. rom? whatever. I believe as a requirement for it you need android 2.3, which I've read the galaxy ace supports, but on the amazon page there it says it comes with 2.2.

Does anyone know if indeed cf7 works on the galaxy ace? would I be able to just get an upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3 from the samsung site and then install cf7 from there?

Also, if any of you lot own or have owned a galaxy ace, any good or bad opinions of it? Most reviews I've read say it's pretty decent value for the money.
oh yeah, why a galaxy ace instead of an optimus one?

How did you receive it exactly? Through text, email, ???

I went into the music app on my phone this morning to listen to some music and there was a message sitting in there inviting me to the beta.

try using the invite and seeing if it works

Been a little busy since receiving the invite but I just went to google music and it seems to be working. The bar showing the status of my upload has disappeared but I can already see "A Tribe Called Quest" up in the cloud. The music store doesn't work though as it still appears to be limited to the U.S. My work laptop is recognized as being from the states when I connect to the VPN, so that isn't a big issue for me.

Just pulled the status bar back up and I'm sitting at 4 of 800 songs uploaded. Man, this thing is pretty slow.

kehs

Banned
well to save money I dropped my smart phone (droid x), so its sitting here deactivated. My question is, how do I get rid of the voicemail icon on the notification bar? Since its deactivated I can't call voicemail, so what are my other options?

You should be able to change the voicemail settings under the phone app, that might clear up the notification.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I wish I could get visual voicemail. There's nothing like that here. I just get a text to notify me, and then I have to call the voicemail number to listen to it. But maybe that's just the downside of carriers not being so all up in everyone's phone business here.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wish I could get visual voicemail. There's nothing like that here. I just get a text to notify me, and then I have to call the voicemail number to listen to it. But maybe that's just the downside of carriers not being so all up in everyone's phone business here.

Use Google Voice.

moojito

oh yeah, why a galaxy ace instead of an optimus one?

I hadn't heard of that phone til I looked it up. I guess it's not widely available here in the uk. It seems to be the galaxy ace, wildfire s or the orange/zte phones in that price range commonly available. The orange monte carlo/zte skate looks really nice, but I'm a bit wary of having to unlock it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I hadn't heard of that phone til I looked it up. I guess it's not widely available here in the uk. It seems to be the galaxy ace, wildfire s or the orange/zte phones in that price range commonly available. The orange monte carlo/zte skate looks really nice, but I'm a bit wary of having to unlock it.

I had a ZTE Blade (the predecessor to the Skate) before I got my Galaxy Nexus, and it was a really nice phone considering its low price. The stock ROM wasn't all too great, but rooting the phone and flashing a custom ROM was easy as pie. I didn't have to unlock mine (I bought it unlocked), but from what I've heard that was very easily done too.

Korean rivalry

Sidenote: is T-mobile USA still making any attempts to get the new premier phones or has the management given up on that battle?

The HTC One X (Edge, Endeavor, Supreme) is bound to end up on T-Mo since it lacks LTE.

Thing is, it's only got the 21 mpbs HSPA+ chipset ( I think T-Mo is up to 42 now)

Here's hoping that the specs can change for an AT&T version with LTE, if so, that'll probably be my next phone.

T-Mo has not been on the ball lately, it seems like they were really planning on being apart of AT&T so did not plan on any exclusives, I would look for that to change by end of year.

They just need to get LTE blown out already.

moojito

On my travels I've come across this offer, an Acer liquid metal sim free for £130. It comes with android 2.3 and supports flash. I think that's pretty damn decent, and I'll most likely be going for that one myself.

Cudder

I don't know whether to keep Pulse or Currents for my news. I love both, but Pulse is just faster at getting news to me.

jayb

I still prefer the good 'ol Google reader app for my news fix. I just can't get into pulse or currents for whatever reason.

Circle T

I've never used Google Reader. Maybe I should give it a try?

Certainly not as pretty as Currents or Pulse, but if you want to get through a ton of news quickly, Reader is great. I've used it forever it seems, and it works great. When I'm on the go, I'll just star anything/everything I want to read later, and then just get to them when I'm on my computer. Works well for me.

Cudder

Certainly not as pretty as Currents or Pulse, but if you want to get through a ton of news quickly, Reader is great. I've used it forever it seems, and it works great. When I'm on the go, I'll just star anything/everything I want to read later, and then just get to them when I'm on my computer. Works well for me.

Why did Google even create Currents if it already had a tried and true news reader? Why not just update Reader, or combine them or something? Having two different apps that do the same thing is weird to me.

Just to be sure, these feed apps (Feedly, Pulse, Currents), are all RSS readers, just like Google Reader, right?

Circle T

Why did Google even create Currents if it already had a tried and true news reader? Why not just update Reader, or combine them or something? Having two different apps that do the same thing is weird to me.

Just to be sure, these feed apps (Feedly, Pulse, Currents), are all RSS readers, just like Google Reader, right?

Pulse and Currents are more of something you would use to thoroughly READ stories in. They have more of a magazine style to them, and will show full articles and pictures. Reader, on the other hand, is more intended for browsing headlines, and quickly scanning articles for info. They are similar in overall idea, but quite different in usage.

Ew. That phone is an ergonomic mess.

Also running Gingerbread with a 'promise' for ice cream sandwich in '3 months'. LOL. Par for the course I guess.

And LG "promises" are like the worst promises when it comes to updates (LG Thrill/Optimus 3D still on Froyo, lol).

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
With the battery capacity of the RAZR MAXX, the platform integration of the Galaxy Nexus, and the APE5R performance of the Honey Bee 101k, the design envelope for Android devices is being pushed in multiple significant ways right now.

It's a great time to be in the market for a new device.

Pulse and Currents are more of something you would use to thoroughly READ stories in. They have more of a magazine style to them, and will show full articles and pictures. Reader, on the other hand, is more intended for browsing headlines, and quickly scanning articles for info. They are similar in overall idea, but quite different in usage.

And LG "promises" are like the worst promises when it comes to updates (LG Thrill/Optimus 3D still on Froyo, lol).

LG obviously skipping minor updates like GB and going straight to ICS with the 3D/Thrill

kehs

Banned
Will I get rape-raped if I use slide me? I rarely like to tie my persona/financial accounts with stuff, so I'm wondering if anyone has had any trouble of problems with slide-me?

Ashhong

Hey guys need a recommendation. Looking for a Android phone for T-mobile, that is small, no keyboard, and decent developer support so that I can install custom ROMs and such.

Should also have decent specs. Want it to last a while. Maybe OLED? Though not necessary.

Circle T

Hey guys need a recommendation. Looking for a Android phone for T-mobile, that is small, no keyboard, and decent developer support so that I can install custom ROMs and such.

Should also have decent specs. Want it to last a while. Maybe OLED? Though not necessary.

Does it need to be a new model? If not, how about the Nexus S?

zoku88

How small is small?

And what does 'decent specs' mean?

And how long do you want it to last?

Ashhong

How small is small?

And what does 'decent specs' mean?

And how long do you want it to last?

I guess about iPhone size. Decent specs...as in midrange specs? Not Nexus, but not super crappy. Just something that will get her by. Probably has to last at least 2 years. She's not a power user, wont really be using it much.

Galaxy S might be an option..though its kind of large

Just went back to stock browser after having used Chrome for a week, and it's a much smoother experience.

It's faster, Quick Controls are a winner, there's more screen space, and I think fonts look better.

I love tab sharing and all that, but the pros don't outweigh the cons yet for me.

Agentnibs

exhibit 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom