• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Hey guys need a recommendation. Looking for a Android phone for T-mobile, that is small, no keyboard, and decent developer support so that I can install custom ROMs and such.

Should also have decent specs. Want it to last a while. Maybe OLED? Though not necessary.

Galaxy Nexus.

The Nexus S is pretty chreap now too.

tino

Banned
So the LG Vu is announced. I don't have a problem with the Galaxy Note at all. It's just a XL sized phone. This Vu is weird looking. It reminds me of some kind of board game accessory.

Maybe the symmetrical top and bottom mess me up? It's like something you hold with both hands.

With the width of the 4:3 aspect ratio screen, the Vu is probably the first phone I would say really requires 2 hands. I think they are trying to make it more tablet-like with the 4:3 aspect ratio but that thing will be unpocketable because of the width, even big phones like the Note and the Tuna are slim enough to slip into a pocket because they are much narrower than they are tall.

Blackhead

Redarse
With the width of the 4:3 aspect ratio screen, the Vu is probably the first phone I would say really requires 2 hands. I think they are trying to make it more tablet-like with the 4:3 aspect ratio but that thing will be unpocketable because of the width, even big phones like the Note and the Tuna are slim enough to slip into a pocket because they are much narrower than they are tall.

The Kindles are bigger devices with a 4:3 aspect ratio that still fit in pockets. 7" is probably the max size for 4:3 devices to still be pocketable.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Galaxy S 4G is not so small at 4", but it's sleek and light and very pocketable. She'll probably grow to appreciate the size.

The first Exhibit 4G is also another good choice. Both use the same, competent Hummingbird hardware platform and run stable software configurations.

G2X is another 4 incher, and I'd stay away from that one. Despite being a "pure" Google experience, the phone, regardless of software update, still has more than its share of random rebooting and powering off issues. I know the Tegra 2 can run hot at times, yet I don't know if that is part of the problem.

So... how exactly do I upload a CD straight into Google Music? It's proving to be a lot less straight forward than I had assumed it would be.

JordanKZ

So... how exactly do I upload a CD straight into Google Music? It's proving to be a lot less straight forward than I had assumed it would be.

Rip the CD to your local computer (make sure the file is .mp3 format at a decent bit rate for best results), download Google Music Manager, point the application to your mp3's.

That's basically it.

DXPett1

Just went back to stock browser after having used Chrome for a week, and it's a much smoother experience.

It's faster, Quick Controls are a winner, there's more screen space, and I think fonts look better.

I love tab sharing and all that, but the pros don't outweigh the cons yet for me.

Think I am going to have to do the same. Seems like a worse experience or I am just too used to the stock browser. Though I will admit I relish not fighting with the quick controls on SecondApps.com GAF

Having a problem with the youtube ap....

Why does it give different results from searching on the PC?

Wanted to watch "Billy Joel - The Longest Time" and I could not find the official video.

And I know Ive watched it.

So I search on the PC, and there it is, plain as day, as result number 1.

is my youtube ap broken?

Rip the CD to your local computer (make sure the file is .mp3 format at a decent bit rate for best results), download Google Music Manager, point the application to your mp3's.

That's basically it.

These days it's actually simplest to rip using a program which automatically tags albums, like iTunes or Windows Media Player. Yeah, I know. Just make sure to rip them as 320kbps MP3 and not Apple or Windows Media Lossless, as I don't think Google Music works with lossless codecs.

Having a problem with the youtube ap....

Why does it give different results from searching on the PC?

Wanted to watch "Billy Joel - The Longest Time" and I could not find the official video.

And I know Ive watched it.

So I search on the PC, and there it is, plain as day, as result number 1.

is my youtube ap broken?

There are a fair number of Youtube videos are only "licensed" to be viewed by the desktop Youtube, not Youtube Mobile. This is common with content like music videos for some reason. Seems like you ran into one of those.

Angry Fork

I've never owned a smartphone before, and am going to get an android phone soon.

Question: I know nothing about these phones, which ones are new or not etc. except that apparently a newer Galaxy one is going to be announced soon. Should I wait for that or will it take a year to come out? How long do they take to release after being announced?

gcubed

I've never owned a smartphone before, and am going to get an android phone soon.

Question: I know nothing about these phones, which ones are new or not etc. except that apparently a newer Galaxy one is going to be announced soon. Should I wait for that or will it take a year to come out? How long do they take to release after being announced?

where are you? Galaxy S2 is fantaticn and out now, can't go wrong with the Galaxy Nexus either if you want a google experience device. The Galaxy S3 will probably launch this summer. If you get in a position of waiting for a new phone, you will never get one.

what do you want to spend, location, provider? If you really want to see whats new, you can wait until next week at MWC, but they usually take ~3 months on average to release.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

The Galaxy SIII is likely to be announced relatively soon, yes. It will however not be announced at Mobile World Congress, which starts in a week, so it's probably a couple of months off still.

It usually doesn't take more than 1-3 months for a phone to be released once it has been announced (that's for the international version - carrier-specific versions in the US might take a bit longer).

If you get in a position of waiting for a new phone, you will never get one.

This is very true. If you just keep waiting for that next great thing on the horizon, you'll be waiting forever.

I knew very well that amazing new phones were going to be announced in a while, but I still went for a Galaxy Nexus a few weeks back. That phone will be utterly outclassed by stuff announced at MWC, but it's a great phone that is available right now.

Angry Fork

I'm in the U.S. What do you guys expect the new Galaxy to do that current ones can't? Just better/faster specs or will there be hardcore changes?

kehs

Banned
I'm in the U.S. What do you guys expect the new Galaxy to do that current ones can't? Just better/faster specs or will there be hardcore changes?

If you're in the States, you should start narrowing down your carrier first, unfortunately. Nothing like getting interested in phone that you won't be able to use.

wario

pics of the xperia u:

XperiaU_2.jpg

XperiaU_1.jpg

XperiaU_11.jpg

specs:
model number: st25i kumquat
3.5" 480x854 bravia engine LED back-lit display
dual-core 1 ghz cpu
5mp exmor R camera
1290 mAh battery

should be announced at the sony press conference this upcoming sunday at MWC

source

Al-ibn Kermit

The main differences are that it'll be faster and will have a better screen (720X1280 vs 480X800). I think it will also have LTE which would mean faster data speeds if you're going on Verizon, at&t, or sprint.

I think it will be announced in the next couple weeks, from there you can decide how long it will take to get to the US and if it's worth it to you to wait. I think there's going to be a lot of phones with similar specs by the time it comes out in the US though.

gcubed

What?

That's a joke right?

the only thing i can find was a story on the lepad.

http://www.netbooknews.com/39715/lenovo-lepad-k2-with-tegra-3-tablet-gets-benchmarked/

The 10.1″ Lenovo LePad K2 is running Android 3.2 with a very interesting screen resolution of 1920 × 1152, this is probably not the actual resolution of the device since this number happens to match the maximum resolution of Tegra 3.

the rest were just assumptions on off screen presos

gcubed

Tegra 3 max resolution is 2560×1600, unless this info is completely off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Tegra_3_.28Kal-El.29_series

edit: 2048x1536 according to Nvidia.

ah ok, you found it from Nvidia, was looking but couldnt find it. The 1152 is obviously missing hte 48 pixels for the on screen menus, just couldnt find anything else.

Still no idea why they would drop it down to an adreno 225 when you have a glorious screen. I wouldnt even question Nvidia if it wasn't for their inability to decode HD h264 in the Tegra 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom