• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
getting a galaxy s2 delivered today (although I'm not going to be using it until friday)

I have a HTC Desire but never really did any android-y stuff on it, so shall have a play with my new phone.

Kozmo

Meanwhile the extended battery is still not available for the Galaxy Nexus in Hong Kong. Good thing I'm going to Korea in a couple of weeks, can pick one up locally. Samsung/Google is so botching the whole Nexus experience.

OatmealMu

Damn, I just dodged a bullet.

Yesterday, while testing out a car mount for the tablet, I stupidly pushed way too hard on the screen. The mount is one of those sticky things designed for cell phones. It's not ideal, but it was the best I could find that would fix a 7" tablet with a case on it. Anyway, I ended up leaving a pressure mark from my thumb.

5b3Iw.png

I called HTC and the tech suggested I put the tablet face down, turn it on, and plug it into the charger for 4-6 hours. The theory is that the touch screen was pushing down on the LCD and a little heat would separate them. Fast forward six hours and the mark was still prominent. For shits and giggles, I decided to leave it on over night. I also turned the screen on and opened Google Maps. I figured the bright white map would add a some heat.

Twelve hours later, the mark is noticeably smaller. An hour or two more, and the screen looks pristine.

Pctx

Banned
Pctx.... Y U NO GET NEXUS? :D

I didn't want to deal with importing. Besides, the Skyrocket has been great for me. 10MB down/4MB up on HSPA+ and then + Unlimited LTE once Portland gets it = happy Pctx :)

It literally has been driving me nuts having my TF101 on 4.0 and my phone on 2.3. Thankfully AT&T will soon fix that. :)

Pctx

Banned
But doesn't it have TouchWiz?
9XuKM.gif

This is true. I for one however don't mind TW at all. I've tried the other launchers and I actually prefer TW. I'm sure the fixes that ICS brings + the additions to TW integration will be a welcomed treat.

jayb

- touchwiz launcher=meh

- some of the TW features like the quick settings buttons in the notification bar = like/+1/upvote

- TW ICS color scheme/icons = barf

Pctx

Banned
- touchwiz launcher=meh

- some of the TW features like the quick settings buttons in the notification bar = like/+1/upvote

- TW ICS color scheme/icons = barf

I'm not saying TW is perfect but for my needs, it works. I've messed with the other launchers and I keep going back to TW which is a credit to Samsung. The Icons, yeah, not a big fan but that's why Android is so interesting to watch to see what people prefer or change.

jayb

I'm not saying TW is perfect but for my needs, it works. I've messed with the other launchers and I keep going back to TW which is a credit to Samsung. The Icons, yeah, not a big fan but that's why Android is so interesting to watch to see what people prefer or change.
I actually like the TW launcher for its 4 icon dock, because it lines up perfectly with the other homescreen apps. But other than that, the other launchers feel more smooth to me, and of course are more customizable. I wish I could get a third party launcher to mimic the tw 4 icon dock.

Blackhead

Redarse
So I'm seeing this PCMag story is being linked in a bunch of places:

The iPad Wins Because Android Tablet Apps Suck: An Illustrated Guide

I think the approach is flawed though:
So I assembled my own list of potential app providers. To create a list of top brands, I looked at Nielsen's top 10 global Web companies, online video destinations, and U.S. TV networks; Alexa's top 10 U.S. websites; the top 10 retail banks as measured by the Federal Reserve; 10 top online game publishing houses; Nielsen's top 20 Android apps by usage; and Apple's top 10 paid and top 10 free iPad apps by usage. I looked for official apps from each of these companies...

Android was weak on apps from TV brands, with only one app from ABC compared to the iPad's 12 and nine from Disney compared to the iPad's 32. But it did well with dominant Web brands, offering 14 Yahoo apps to the iPad's five and seven Amazon apps to the iPad's 4. There are 20 Google apps for the Transformer Prime and only eight for the iPad; Google+, most notably, is missing on the iPad. Google's tablet apps look great on both platforms. Apple, Nielsen's number-nine Web brand, offers no Android apps.
Each OS is missing some major brands. The iPad has no official Wikipedia app, although there are several third-party versions. The Android Wikipedia app looks so bad, though, that it's not really competition. It's a reformatted WAP site on a tablet capable of displaying the full Web...

Android games don't generally suck when played on Android tablets. There are just fewer of them... The iPad wins, 402 games to 176. Now, a lot of that seems to be Big Fish spewing 166 games into the iTunes store. 166 games! But even with that outlier out of the way, the iPad still wins 236-162. There are more major-label games available for the iPad.

Of course, there are entire categories of apps found on Android tablets but not on the iPad. Real alternate Web browsers. Widgets. Classic game emulators requiring illegally obtained ROMs. BitTorrent clients. Alternative app stores. What all of those categories have in common, though, is that they're for tweakers. Geeks. Experts. The kinds of people who are likely to be reading this article, to be sure, but not the mainstream consumer.

In other words, an Android tablet might be better for you, reader, because you want to reinstall the OS and emulate a Super Nintendo. But that can't be a general recommendation if the apps from big, popular brands generally suck...

Here are the 10 "brands" apps he choose to demonstrate the differences in the slide:
CBS, Collegehumor, CNN*, ESPN Scorecenter, eBay, Facebook, TBS, Twitter, VEVO, Wikipedia**

Here's my problem with his complaints: all these shitty apps that he complains about have perfectly good source sites that can be accessed through the Android browser. I hate being redirected to these brands' iPad apps when I'm accessing them through an iPad web browser. My main reason that I find for many of those apps is that iPad's web browser sucks e.g. I can't post pics on Twitter and I flat-out can't watch any VEVO videos. The other reason to desire such apps, instead of the websites, are notifications but there are many decent widgets that would do just fine for that.

And then he doesn't bother to compare the productivity apps on Android tablets to the versions on iPads. *shrug* Only looking at web brands and games is flawed imo.

Angst

I actually like the TW launcher for its 4 icon dock, because it lines up perfectly with the other homescreen apps. But other than that, the other launchers feel more smooth to me, and of course are more customizable. I wish I could get a third party launcher to mimic the tw 4 icon dock.

My biggest issue with TW is the humongous font size that can't be changed. TW is to AOSP what Duplo is to Lego.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is there a Outlook Web Access app? I can access my work email via owa on the browser but the exchange setup wont work. Could it be blocked by my employer?

Husker86

What is the default cdma roaming mode, automatic or home only? I touched the screen while I wasn't looking, and not sure if I changed it.

Home only.

I was far, far from 4g land this weekend and had to set it on auto to get any roaming at all.

it's Automatic. Data roaming is disabled but that's just for international use.

What phone/carrier are you using that set it to Home by default? That's actually kind of shady unless you're talking about data. Like I said I'm pretty sure the data roaming is for international only but I know on a Sprint Android phone I had it disabled data on other networks by default.

I suppose it would depend on carrier.

Ashhong

Doesn't work. You got a xda link? You are missing APN name and user password on this info.

Let me get this straight, user name is "TMobile.com 0000000000" and password blank?

Or user name is "TMobile.com" and password is the phone number?

Hey tino, bringing back our conversation previously about the free data for Tmobile. It suddenly stopped working for me. Is that something Tmobile did or some kind of error on my part?

Oh yea, All AT&T GS2 owners, CM9 officially started making nightlies for our phone, and there are ICS roms popping up left and right. I have been using CM9 for a few days and its perfect. I don't think it does video recording at the moment but I don't care about that. I highly recommend updating.

gcubed

What phone/carrier are you using that set it to Home by default? That's actually kind of shady unless you're talking about data. Like I said I'm pretty sure the data roaming is for international only but I know on a Sprint Android phone I had it disabled data on other networks by default.

yup, definitely automatic with data roaming disabled

Menelaus

Banned

Mine was Verizon on the 4.0.4 leaked ROM.

Ocho

A really noob question:

I have a SGS2 International without an SDCard. I want to try CM9 and see I need to use CMW and flash from SDCard. Can I bypass this (use the usbstorage or whatever)?

Thanks.

tino

Banned
Hey tino, bringing back our conversation previously about the free data for Tmobile. It suddenly stopped working for me. Is that something Tmobile did or some kind of error on my part?

Oh yea, All AT&T GS2 owners, CM9 officially started making nightlies for our phone, and there are ICS roms popping up left and right. I have been using CM9 for a few days and its perfect. I don't think it does video recording at the moment but I don't care about that. I highly recommend updating.
Well I am in China now (and browsing GAF on glorious GPRS).

I would check howardforum's TMo prepaid subforum and that original xda thread.

Ashhong

Well I am in China now (and browsing GAF on glorious GPRS).

I would check howardforum's TMo prepaid subforum and that original xda thread.

the original thread is dead, i posted but nothing yet. howardforums is so cluttered...but I'll check it out, thanks

RuGalz

So I'm seeing this PCMag story is being linked in a bunch of places:

The iPad Wins Because Android Tablet Apps Suck: An Illustrated Guide
I kind of stopped reading when he starts to say how there maybe some apps missing on iOS side but the Android app is so ugly it doesn't matter and you can just go to the website for much better experience. Seems like a double standards to me, since you can do the same for the reverse. And having text reflow in Android browser is actually helpful, plus occasionally, useful, flash support...

Angst

A really noob question:

I have a SGS2 International without an SDCard. I want to try CM9 and see I need to use CMW and flash from SDCard. Can I bypass this (use the usbstorage or whatever)?

Thanks.

Yep. Internal storage is labeled as sd-card in cwm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom