• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
wow that horizontal scroll effect is way over the top. so concerned could didnt they stop think if should. that could be the motto of android.

You know that's a third party app right? And it's exhibiting nonstandard behavior.

I bet Copernicus would've loved this:

tumblr_m1i8hwrOha1qz9xe2o1_500.jpg

Ignore this man, get around Boid app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.boidforandroid.appbeta ICS design guidelines have been followed, functions well (still alpha) and looks beautiful. Check it out!

I've already got Boid installed and im a big fan of the look and feel. Its a very early alpha though and the scrolling isnt there yet. Neither are push notifications which i need from any Twitter app and Carbon promises both. There is also an early build of an app called robot bird which has potential too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Some of y'all lack taste. App is smooth as hell for an alpha, it uses the ics style guide and is easily the most consistent ui for twitter yet developed. No pleasing some folk :-(
Boid.

Carbon looks nice. That horizontal scrolling is hideous, though. It needs a lot of sophisticated polish. The screen switching is just too... Juvenile. So as long as there's an option to disable it, I don't care.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to it. It's great that there are finally some good Twitter apps coming out for Android. The biggest thing I've been missing from iOS are good apps. It looks like things are starting to change. Here's hoping. Still, it seems like nothing compares to tweet bot. The gestures on that are fantastic. I use it all the time on my iPad and it's just so slick.

Has anything surpassed Plume for twitter widget functionality yet?
No.

:| What about android tablet apps for twitter?

Plume is probably the best but there is absolutely nothing that can touch the iPad. I quite liked Tweetcomb when it came out but it is buggy and hasn't received any attention from the dev for a while. When Google can't even optimise G+ for tablets how can Twitter or FB be expected to?

Blackhead

Redarse
Plume is probably the best but there is absolutely nothing that can touch the iPad. I quite liked Tweetcomb when it came out but it is buggy and hasn't received any attention from the dev for a while. When Google can't even optimise G+ for tablets how can Twitter or FB be expected to?

Twitter and FB created entirely custom interfaces for their ipad apps though—not that id want them to do that for android.

sidenote: is it possible to add a website to the share options?

tino

Banned
Is there anyway on Android or PC to search tweets for all people I follow? On twitter.com I have to type in the people names myself.

Chris R

What is the best (free) podcasting app? Google Listen is garbage, doesn't even remember last position played :|

Or I guess I could pay for one if it had a NICE web interface that I could set my downloads up on.

Cipherr

Eh, you can follow those design guidelines without compromising personality.

That app uses 100% stock ICS assets along with the stock ICS color scheme, just ends up being bland.

And if it didnt use those ICS assets with the ICS color scheme, people would shout from the heavens that the OS and the app lacks 'consistency' and 'cohesion' and that it 'clashes' with the theme of the OS. Happily by now the devs stopped listening to the see-saw nonsense.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What is the best (free) podcasting app? Google Listen is garbage, doesn't even remember last position played :|

Or I guess I could pay for one if it had a NICE web interface that I could set my downloads up on.

I use PocketCasts.

So I played around with a friends phone over the weekend... HTC Desire something, 4G. It was so fast and sleek and snappy, it really put my Droid X to shame. I'll be eligible to upgrade in Aug I think, and I can't wait to get something new (not that the Droid X hasn't served me well).

Is the Samsung Galaxy S3 the one to look out for?

So I can't get the Galaxy S II, sadly. I may just go with the Sidekick 4g but the negative reviews of it freezing worry me. Anyone have this phone or have a suggestion for which phone I should get from T-Mobile? I may just stick with my dumb phone if it isn't worth "upgrading."

So I played around with a friends phone over the weekend... HTC Desire something, 4G. It was so fast and sleek and snappy, it really put my Droid X to shame. I'll be eligible to upgrade in Aug I think, and I can't wait to get something new (not that the Droid X hasn't served me well).

Is the Samsung Galaxy S3 the one to look out for?
S3 or the nexus phone a few later

So I can't get the Galaxy S II, sadly. I may just go with the Sidekick 4g but the negative reviews of it freezing worry me. Anyone have this phone or have a suggestion for which phone I should get from T-Mobile? I may just stick with my dumb phone if it isn't worth "upgrading."

Like Ashong suggested, get a Nexus S from Best Buy. Free with contract and best cheap phone on T-mobile.

Red

I have kind of a specific question... not sure if this is the best place to ask but figure it can't hurt.

I bought a Droid Bionic at launch and suffered through months of connectivity issues that weren't resolved until two updates in. Now my connection is usually great, but the phone has taken to restarting several times a day. There is a specific spot on the bottom right corner that, if I touch it, will cause the phone to enter into a shut down/restart cycle until I remove the battery or wait out its tantrum. I can no longer put a case on it, because the pressure hits that corner and knocks it out.

Even without hitting that particular trigger, it will restart three or four times a day simply idling in my pocket (it's happened so often that I can sense when I'm about to hear that boot noise). It's not a bad phone -- when it works. But I need it to be functional all the time in case of emergencies. I've read online that this is a fairly common problem with the Bionic and I am really not in the mood to return it simply to end up with another dud. Anyone know if it's possible to return this phone for a different one? I don't know what I would switch to, really anything moderately new that would be more reliable. I can't afford to go out and buy a new Nexus or something right now though, especially at full price.

It sucks because I invested a decent amount of cash into an extended battery, car dock, and charging dock, hoping that the promises of each new update would be true, but with each fix there's a new problem. Occasional restarts are something I can deal with, but this is happening 5+ times a day, sometimes dozens, and each time there is a 2-4 minute wait for it to reboot. I'd like to go to a Verizon store asap to sort it out, but I'd like to see if anyone else has been in a similar situation that was successfully resolved.

jayb

Any idea when the Galaxy S2 will get 4.0?

which version? I believe it's being rolled out to international GS2's now.

For the US, the AT&T GS2 skyrocket just had a leaked official ICS yesterday, but that's the only news I've seen for any US variants.

Keyouta

Is there an app I can get that aggregates email and text messages in one place so I don't have to switch between the two?

rozay

Banned
My mind is literally blown that both the at&t SII and SII skyrocket have 4.0 updates available. If these actually get released within the next month, I have to eat a portion of crow for at&t actually giving it to them instead of hiding 4.0 behind the skyrocket HD.

Circle T

My mind is literally blown that both the at&t SII and SII skyrocket have 4.0 updates available. If these actually get released within the next month, I have to eat a portion of crow for at&t actually giving it to them instead of hiding 4.0 behind the skyrocket HD.

Speaking of, I haven't heard a single peep about this phone, at work or otherwise, since it was announced at CES. Seems odd. I guess once these upcoming WP7 launches are done, maybe then it will arrive? Or perhaps they're trying to not obsolete the regular Skyrocket so quickly?

I'm using the regular Skyrocket now as my work phone, and I'm very tempted to flash the leaked ICS to it. I'm sure its pretty similar to the leaked ICS that the Note has, so I've seen it a little already. I've been using a stock 4.0 AOSP build on my Note, though, so I'm interested to see how the TW version is as a daily driver.

Circle T

Wait, the Galaxy Nexus is the only phone with Android 4.0? Huh.

HTC Vivid update was available to pull a couple weeks ago, and started getting pushed out last week. That, I think, is the first phone to officially have an update, unless I'm forgetting something. A few tablets have official ICS updates, and there are quite a few phones with leaked "official" builds, but yea, not much yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom