• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCX

I kind of stopped reading when he starts to say how there maybe some apps missing on iOS side but the Android app is so ugly it doesn't matter and you can just go to the website for much better experience. Seems like a double standards to me, since you can do the same for the reverse. And having text reflow in Android browser is actually helpful, plus occasionally, useful, flash support...

Flash is still a big one for me. During college football season last year, I wanted to watch another game on a tablet. I tried through the Watch ESPN app for iPad and Android, and neither had the availability of WatchESPN.com, so I just used the website on my Transformer to watch it since it has flash.

Angst

Ah, didn't see the other reply. ADB...I root and flash all the time and still don't know how to use that.

Same here. Once you get CWM on the phone things are pretty easy. Different versions of CWM sometimes switches the internal SD-card with external SD-card so if it says "nothing found", I just try the other option.

Question. I started using Tweetdeck and was wondering whether this idea is possible: When you click a link in a tweet, instead of opening your browser, Tweetdeck would remain open and in the lower bar a button would appear to show when the website was fully loaded. You can then view more tweets inside of tweetdeck and click more links, until the browser's limit is reached obviously. Then when you press the lower button indicating the fully loaded page(s), it would give you a tab view and you could click which page to look at. I ask because the time between clicking a link and the site being fully loaded can sometimes be quite long and why not use that time to look at the rest of your tweets and see if there are other links you want to open in the background? I have no programming experience, just wondering if this is something difficult to implement, because for me this would be the holy grail.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So I'm trying gReader but I don't really like it. Any other good Google Reader alternatives?

So I'm trying gReader but I don't really like it. Any other good Google Reader alternatives?
I just use the web interface since it's better than the app. My dream is to star an article and have it download for offline reading in the beautiful Currents app, images and all.

-----------------------------

In the People app, is there a way to reset the Frequently Contacted section under Favorites? I'm not sure how some of the entries got there, but they're not too helpful at the moment. The phone app, on the other hand, accurately reflects my most called contacts.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What don't you like about the official app?

It crashes very, very often. It interrupted Wind Up Knight last night and that was the last straw.

I just use the web interface since it's better than the app. My dream is to star an article and have it download for offline reading in the beautiful Currents app, images and all.

Yeah, guess I'll just use the web app. The way things should be.

Ocho

Well, like people mentioned, I was able to flash CyanogenMod without an SD Card using CMW.

Man, I've been missing out! This true Google experience is waaay better, and I always felt Touchwiz was fine. The contact/calendar apps are much better and what I've been looking for since day 1. Blazing fast. Glad I made the change!

How do people manage the nightlies updates (i'm on the nightlies driver)? I notice I have rom manager installed. Should I use that to update to new version or keep flashing using CMW? If I update do I keep all my app info intact? I'm new to CM.

Ashhong

What phone? You might have to add it to android_winusb.inf

Nexus S. I load the SDK 13 up and it says some kind of error, and then then when I go to add-ons to install the USB drivers, there are no drivers. It's like the SDK can't connect to wherever it needs to. Is there a way to manually install the drivers?

womp

D7 Reader seems decent, give the free version a shot.

I simply prefer the official app though and I have never in my life had it crash on any of my devices, including my Galaxy Nexus. Weird. Yours is the first I have heard this as well.

sangreal

Nexus S. I load the SDK 13 up and it says some kind of error, and then then when I go to add-ons to install the USB drivers, there are no drivers. It's like the SDK can't connect to wherever it needs to. Is there a way to manually install the drivers?

Oh, I think you need to update the SDK manager first. Also, make sure you run sdk manager as admin

sangreal

The guide I read said to stick to SDK 13 because if you go newer you have to write your own fastboot command or something, and I have no idea what that means to do. I think I tried running as admin, will try again. :(

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=895545

Pretty sure that was a bug (since fixed). Regardless, you can update and just use the old fastboot.exe

I have the latest sdk and fastboot works fine without doing anything

99nikniht

Hey guys I have rooted and installed 4.0.4 ics and I've been trying to get my wifi tether to work but whenever I try to the wifi tether app or any other tether app it just doesn't work. I'm just wondering if I installed my 4.0.4 wrong or does it just not work with 4.0.4 leaked at all. Can someone tell me if they have it working or not?

Hey guys I have rooted and installed 4.0.4 ics and I've been trying to get my wifi tether to work but whenever I try to the wifi tether app or any other tether app it just doesn't work. I'm just wondering if I installed my 4.0.4 wrong or does it just not work with 4.0.4 leaked at all. Can someone tell me if they have it working or not?
You're talking about wifi tether for root users? It works on my 4.0.4 leaked GNex build. I have device profile set to auto. Are you sure you're rooted?

thespot84

which tether app?

99nikniht

You're talking about wifi tether for root users? It works on my 4.0.4 leaked GNex build. I have device profile set to auto. Are you sure you're rooted?

I'm fairly certain that my device is still rooted, I'm using voodoo OTA RootKeeper and it indicates that my device is still rooted.

@thespot84 I'm using the app "wifi tether".

Angst

Well, like people mentioned, I was able to flash CyanogenMod without an SD Card using CMW.

Man, I've been missing out! This true Google experience is waaay better, and I always felt Touchwiz was fine. The contact/calendar apps are much better and what I've been looking for since day 1. Blazing fast. Glad I made the change!

How do people manage the nightlies updates (i'm on the nightlies driver)? I notice I have rom manager installed. Should I use that to update to new version or keep flashing using CMW? If I update do I keep all my app info intact? I'm new to CM.

Congrats and welcome to the world of CyanogenMod! :)

I use cwm and flash a new nightly once a week or so or more often if the changelog looks particularly interesting. You keep all apps etc when flashing a new nightly.

zoku88

Are they ever releasing a GSM version? In the US i don't want to import.

If you just dislike buying from import retailers and don't mean having an import version, newegg has both white and silver versions of the Galaxy Nexus.

(For some reason, white is cheaper. Wish I had the white version :( ... )

njean777

If you just dislike buying from import retailers and don't mean having an import version, newegg has both white and silver versions of the Galaxy Nexus.

(For some reason, white is cheaper. Wish I had the white version :( ... )

Screw it, I am just gonna stick with the iPhone, I don't want to pay that much for a phone.

SimleuqiR

See, this is where Coco would say something witty or "trollish" about the Android Team and how his Nexus GSM Tuna is still stuck on 4.0.2. Sorry GAF I have nothing.

Android 4.0.4 headed to AOSP

Google's Jean-Baptiste Queru has just given word that Android 4.0.4 is headed to the Android Open-Source Project Bat Cave. (OK, it's more like a virtual repository, but we kind of picture a Bat Cave.) It's said to be an incremental update with "a few hundred changes over Android 4.0.3." That's all great news for you fans of the open-source side of Android (which certainly includes us, too).

OatmealMu

What's the deal with wallpaper resizing? I looked up the Flyers' resolution and got to work in Photoshop creating wallpapers. Problem is the tablet wants to resize the images to a square. Is there a way to set wallpaper as is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom