• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

I was in the same boat, in the end I couldn't wait lol. So far so happy. The inner dickhead in me wants the S3 not to be as awesome as I hyped myself up for it so I am not as disappointed that I didn't get it.

i dont think you are going to be really disappointed. I dont see the major improvements besides MAYBE benchmarks

can't find it, but Google made a shit ton of money
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17697687

Splitting stock, and it's thanks to Android, Chrome and "YouTube" - Has YouTube now turned a corner to profit?

Hmm...

I'm not sure if I should wait on one of the quad core prossessor phones or just get the Galaxy S II now. I don't have a cell phone I can use as a backup for the one that recently got hard bricked.

I've ditched my SII, good for a while, but had three that kept overheating

Alchemy

Well seeing as no one seems to know if you can disable webtop in favor of HDMI mirroring on the lapdock, does anyone have any experience with webtop2sd? I'm trying to find a speed improvement so I can use the stupid Mobile View app without significant lag, hoping that webtop2sd improves performance.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'm so tired of my Galaxy Vibrant. It's so fucked, super fucked. I want a new phone, preferably one that gets updated frequently - so I am looking at a Galaxy Nexus, but I am not sure. My phone still has SOME legs, but... I don't want to wait forever.

zbeeb

U3AdT.png

an ad on gaf, good work with the spelling optus!

Cipherr

I'm going to get used to using Android for the first time, then I'll look into things like that!

Indeed, in fact, I wouldn't even bother if I were you unless you feel the DESIRE to tinker like that. The more hardcore mobile enthusiasts seem to always insist on telling people to root and load custom roms immediately, but most people really really don't need to bother with that. Especially when its a really good phone in the first place (Which the S2 is in every regard).

How do you guys feel about the rumor that Google could sell Motorola Mobility to Huawei?

Wouldn't be even remotely surprising. We know why they made that purchase, they have their patents now, they can defend their OS, ship the hardware off to someone who can and will use it.

I'm so tired of my Galaxy Vibrant. It's so fucked, super fucked. I want a new phone, preferably one that gets updated frequently - so I am looking at a Galaxy Nexus, but I am not sure. My phone still has SOME legs, but... I don't want to wait forever.

I have a Vibrant. Switch to an ICS ROM like CM9 or Euphoria and you won't feel so bad. ICS makes it feel like a completely new phone... well, except for the Pentile AMOLED and shitty GPS :/

Al-ibn Kermit

Vizio is still carrying the torch. USA! USA! USA!

I'm sure everybody manufactures in Asia though.

What would Huawei actually get with buying Motorola? Google is keeping all the patents.It

feels like Motorola has been on come back lately so hopefully they get a chance.

Threi

notag
Running CM9 on my infuse right now, very smooth. Hardware acceleration goes a long way. Still an early release so GPS and Bluetooth still don't work (an bt probably will never work due to infuse's stupid but chip set) but overall not bad at all.

giga

Is that a joke or true? That would be pretty fucking awesome to be able to watch that on my monitor from work this year.
They'll be streamed on NBC's site, not Youtube.com. Youtube is just providing the infrastructure. Last year they streamed everything as well on their site using Silverlight.

The videos on their site are actually already using Youtube: http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/basketball/bejing-top-10-u-s-mens-basketball-plays.html

Lol, looks like you'll need to have cable or sat tv too: http://www.nbcolympics.com/liveextra/help/index.html

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
..GSIII leak? I think it's fake, but this one could have more "credibility" though:

From the confines of a Polish mobile phone blog a picture of something in flesh and blood has appeared, that is claimed to be the hotly anticipated Samsung Galaxy S III. This is no render, as most previous leaks, but rather a dark rectangular handset lying on a desk.

There is the physical home button underneath the display, which we recently learned has made its way into the front design at the last minute, as well as the rumored five row UI, similar to the Galaxy Note layout. In fact, Samsung has an R&D center in Poland, which leaked the Galaxy Note chillaxing in the metro in someone's hands before the official announcement, so this thing might have some dose of credibility to it.

The source says it was sent to them by a guy who claimed he is currently a tester, and who had censored the UI details beforehand. The Galaxy S III has allegedly been kept on the hush-hush for so long, as carriers got a generic box with only the screen and the ports uncovered, so the testers didn't leak the design prematurely.
Alleged Samsung Galaxy S III photo surfaces, showing a rectangular home button and five row interface

Yet this thing doesn't look inserted into a case or anything, seems to be running stock ICS, like an early test model, and the app icons columns don't seem aligned with the phone, which might be due to the clumsy 8-bit "censoring" of the interface, though.

Anyways, leaks like these are supposed to keep us warm until the real thing drops, hopefully next month. What do you think about the latest contestant in the Galaxy S III leak show?

JQqLT.jpg

TheNatural

My Member!
I've been reading about the new Google tablet with Android they're making to come out in July. Anyone have a current Android tablet to explain how much it can do? For me, I'm interested in the one coming out, do ones already out typically support things like Google Talk in e-mail, where you can place calls to people and things like that?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
HTC_Golf.jpg

HTC is preparing a new, Ice Cream Sandwich-powered entry level phone codenamed HTC Golf; we recently saw an unmemorable test photo from this handset's five-megapixel main camera. Reportedly set to hit the market sometime before the end of the quarter as the Wildfire C (following the original Wildfire and Wildfire S), Golf slots into HTC's current lineup below the three members of the One series -- although it takes a few design cues from those devices as well.

Tipped to run on a single-core, sub-gigahertz processor, the Sense 4.0-skinned Golf should offer up a 3.5-inch, 480 x 320 pixel display with 512MB of RAM and 4GB of storage onboard. The internal storage will be somewhat complemented by the same two years of free 25GB Dropbox cloud storage as the One X, S, and V ship with, along with a microSD card slot. Bluetooh 3.0 and 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi are also said to be included, as well as the now-standard Beats enhancements to audio. Finally, Golf should feature a front-facing webcam, which is somewhat of a rarity at the price point it's expected to occupy.

AndyD

aka andydumi

I think that's a somewhat underserved market. The small cheap phone but with up to date specs. The Defy is similar in size and pricepoint. I imagine this is the kind of phone a parent might buy for kids or older folk. Not fancy, not big, relatively sturdy.

Al-ibn Kermit

Dolphin Browser HD just got a big cosmetic overhaul. The problem is that the gesture button is on the bottom left now rather than the bottom right, which makes browsing the second apps site annoying.

It used to be that you could just hold and drag the gesture button to whichever corner you want but that doesn't work anymore and I can't find a way to do that in the settings. Does anybody else have this problem?

BIGWORM

Just flashed a CM7 kang to my Tmo SGSII. Loving it. I missed CM7, and sucks that it isn't officially supported on my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom