• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokkir

I found something that Chrome can do that the default ICS browser can't! It can handle pages with lots of images and animations without crashing. The default ICS browser on my Nexus S crashes when viewing some of the thread on Gaming but not in Chrome

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Someone I know might be able to get me a discount on a Galaxy Note, s2, Nexus, Xperia S or One X. I need to decide which one to get, the One X will be most expensive but I'm finding myself gravitating towards the Note or Xperia S.

Anyone have any experience with the Xperia S?
I got the Xperia S last week - it's my first Android phone so can't go into much in the way of comparisons but it's fantastic so far. Nice design and screen, the software feels really slick, good battery life too. I switched over from an iphone 4. The NFC tags they give you in the box are actually really useful.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
My evo 3d just started to randomly reboot when not in use. It started a few days ago, and as time went by it started happening more. Now it does it like twice per hour. Anyone heard of this happening?

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I went through 3 brand new phones because it kept happening. It's the cache being bad.

It's a fix I figured out and I never had the problem again.

Hold the power button and reboot your phone. When it's done rebooting, hold the power button and shut it down. Then pull the battery out for 2 minutes. Place the battery back in and turn it on. It should stop the random reboots.

I got the Xperia S last week - it's my first Android phone so can't go into much in the way of comparisons but it's fantastic so far. Nice design and screen, the software feels really slick, good battery life too. I switched over from an iphone 4. The NFC tags they give you in the box are actually really useful.

What's the battery like? Non removable battery but removable back cover makes no sense.

i need a pdf reader for game guides (so huge pdf files).
adobe is just way too slow :(

is there any fast one for big files?

A quick search points to some links that talk about ezpdf reader on the market.

If that doesn't work well there seemed to be a lot of discussions on pdf readers for large pdf files. Do a search along those lines if ez is not what you are looking for.

Is anyone having problems with the Google Play store?

I recently upgrade my phone from an Incredible to a Galaxy Nexus. During the transition my purchase of the Wolfram Alpha app has gone missing. There is no record of it; it doesn't even show up in my "Hey, you've installed these apps before, want them back?"-page. It's still installed on my HTC phone, and I am afraid of actually deleting it at this point. All of my other purchases transferred over, except this one. Weird.

I googled my issue and I got an article from March 2nd or close to that date. They had to have fixed everything since then right?

Talon

The Verge updated their One X review for the AT&T version.
On the software side, AT&T's One X is filled with the usual expected assortment of carrier crapware. None of it can be uninstalled, but most of it can be disabled. Unfortunately, that's not universally true (which goes against Android design chief Matias Duarte's claim at Android 4.0's launch): two examples include Internet — HTC's name for the default browser, which you'll want to replace with Chrome for Android — and something called AT&T Ready2Go, a tool for configuring your phone's email accounts and settings through a web portal on AT&T's site. Notably, stock Dropbox integration has been removed in this model (a prominent talking point at the One series' global announcement earlier this year), though you can still get the same level of functionality by downloading Dropbox's app from the Google Play store. HTC tells us these customers will still be eligible for the free 25GB upgrade promotion, too.

But the software buffoonery doesn't end there. In an effort to enforce Wi-Fi offloading, AT&T's "attwifi" Wi-Fi SSID can't be removed, so the phone will connect to the carrier's hotspots whenever Wi-Fi is turned on and you're in range. On a slower HSPA phone that might not be a big deal, but on the One X, it is: not only is AT&T LTE faster than its Wi-Fi hotspots (sometimes by an order of magnitude), but if you're walking around an urban area and passing by Starbucks or FedEx Office locations, your data service will keep dropping and reconnecting as you transition from cellular to Wi-Fi and back to cellular. If you're in the middle of browsing or listening to streaming radio, it's a pretty serious monkey wrench. And one final insult: AT&T has for some reason requested that the name of the carrier you're currently connected to (normally AT&T) be displayed in the status bar whenever there aren't any notifications, which is an annoying and useless design element — "AT&T" is constantly appearing and disappearing as you get emails, texts, and so on. An easy fix is to use a weather app that keeps the current temperature in the status bar, but obviously, you shouldn't need to do that.
Sounds like some carrier crapware, but the S4, as always, is still a beast.

giga

The S4 seems about equal to the Tegra 3 in general performance stuff. Tegra 3 is slightly faster in graphics, but it won't be noticeable in real world stuff. The main difference is the battery life. Dat 28nm.

For those of you wondering about the Snapdragon S4 vs. Tegra 3 comparison, the answer is pretty simple. It's very difficult to tell the performance difference between these two SoCs in day to day usage. Qualcomm has the scalar performance advantage, while NVIDIA has the heavily threaded performance advantage. On the GPU side, there's likely an NVIDIA advantage there as well. However in practice, you'd be hard pressed to tell the international (Tegra 3) One X and AT&T (S4) One Xes apart based on performance. Battery life however is a different story entirely. Today, the AT&T One X offers tangibly better battery life than the international version. There are software updates on the way for the One X (Tegra 3) that may narrow the gap, but we'll have to wait and see.

46115.png

46112.png

46099.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5779/htc-one-x-for-att-review

Cipherr

46097.png

46098.png

I mean... goddamn.

And this one:

46100.png

10 bucks says the larger capacity battery going into Sprints version propels this phone to near the top or to the top of these battery life categories, I mean, its the same phone, just with a larger battery. S4 isn't shit. Its really not, Im starting to warm to it more and more, especially versus Tegra 3. Im not seeing this huge gulf between them I expected. And the OneX overall is just a fucking kickass phone.

Samsung has a hard sell on this one. Im pretty much ready to buy the OneX Sprint variant, it has everything I want. The GS3 would have to be fucking amazing, NOT be pentile, and more in order to sway me now.

Toki767

I definitely feel a lot better about the Galaxy S3 getting the S4 in the US now that the benchmarks are out there. Can't wait till Thursday to see whether HTC or Samsung get my money for the next two years.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
With results like this, I'm considering selling my International version for an unlocked Rogers' version..

Anandtech:

The HTC One X is quite simply the smartphone we wished Google had launched Ice Cream Sandwich with. It has an amazing display, arguably the best balance of performance and power efficiency in an SoC and a truly outstanding design. In a sea of Android devices that mostly look the same, the HTC One X definitely stands out. It really is the best Android smartphone on the market today.

0368_3jrs.gif

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
What's the battery like? Non removable battery but removable back cover makes no sense.
The removable cover with no removable battery is ridiculous, I'll agree. Seems like some kind of weird last-minute design choice. Either way, coming from the iPhone it doesn't really bother me not being able to swap it.

I'm at 19h34m battery use with 34% left. That's after a heap of texts, a few calls, app downloads, organising some files on my NAS for a while last night, customising and fiddling with the screen and listening to some music. I keep the screen at pretty low brightness, I'm also on Wifi in my office for much of the day.

Expected the worst, so I'm pretty happy with the battery life especially considering how much I'm messing around with it and setting it up.

rozay

Banned
Congrats to HTC, hope the phone(s) do well because this is a much compelling and quality set of phones than what they offered this time last year.

I'm expecting the S3 to sway people though, even if it doesn't seem like the rumors are much. Exynos will be a definite performance advantage, but stateside it'll likely be toe-to-toe with the X.

kehs

Banned
Wow @ the S4 battery marks.

Padfone is getting more and more enticing, I'm gonna be like those iphone dudes rocking 2g on t-mo, lol.

------

Android Ported to C#

I don't know the ramifications of this, but this is some sort of benchmark chart, so giga can explain it.

71de890b.png

tino

Banned
If somebody can put a S4, and a 2000mAH battery inside a 4" phone, like the Atrix, it will have ridiculous battery life.

Ashhong

Gave my parents my Touchpad and they want a Korean bible. I tried many different apps but none were what they wanted.

Anybody have experience with a Catholic Korean Bible app? Preferably one with hymns as well. I'm getting really annoyed with them constantly bothering me about it.

kehs

Banned
Gave my parents my Touchpad and they want a Korean bible. I tried many different apps but none were what they wanted.

Anybody have experience with a Catholic Korean Bible app? Preferably one with hymns as well. I'm getting really annoyed with them constantly bothering me about it.

There's an app called Bible which is not bad last I checked and you can side load different Bibles, there are apparently a few sites with bibles in the format needed. I think if you look through xda for the dude that made the app he has a link to a site.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bedoig.bible

Ashhong

There's an app called Bible which is not bad last I checked and you can side load different Bibles, there are apparently a few sites with bibles in the format needed. I think if you look through xda for the dude that made the app he has a link to a site.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bedoig.bible

I have that, but there's no Korean that I could see. I'll look around that for that site you mentioned, thanks.

edit: jk, this is a different app titled just "Bible" lol

tino

Banned
I have that, but there's no Korean that I could see. I'll look around that for that site you mentioned, thanks.

edit: jk, this is a different app titled just "Bible" lol

This is kind of the question if you google in Korean, or ask in a korean forum, you will het the answer right away.

kehs

Banned
As the padfone release is imminent every should brace themselves as I turn this into the official padfone news thread.

Cnet early review

Shitty camera and kinda bulky, but he got through a weekend with all three parts before needing to charge.

Looks like apps will need an unofficial API to be fully functional for the phone tablet transition. Hopefully it becomes part of jelly bean.

The phone doesn't support aws so Tmo users in US users you are forewarned.

W1SSY

Probably going to get the HTC One X from Amazon for $50. It seems to be for upgrades on family plans. I would wait and see what the Galaxy S3 is going to be but I really do not have $200 to spend on a phone right now. With the One X being called the best phone available now I figure getting it at $50 is a steal. Here is the link.

NomarTyme

Probably going to get the HTC One X from Amazon for $50. It seems to be for upgrades on family plans. I would wait and see what the Galaxy S3 is going to be but I really do not have $200 to spend on a phone right now. With the One X being called the best phone available now I figure getting it at $50 is a steal. Here is the link.

Hopefully the Sprint version follow suit.

tino

Banned
Yes. It will come as the incredible HD (or whatever they are planning on calling it).

Verizon never get HTC's top tier phone. They save that for Moto phones. Plus Incredible is a mid tier brand. Incredible LTE is a 4" mid tier phone.

Ephemeris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom