• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably a thicko question, but does anyone on Orange in the UK know when ICS will be pushed out for the Galaxy S2? I keep checking my phone status for updates but nothing yet :(

Only had the phone a few weeks so I'm not really clued in on how the update process works!

Angst

This is probably a thicko question, but does anyone on Orange in the UK know when ICS will be pushed out for the Galaxy S2? I keep checking my phone status for updates but nothing yet :(

Only had the phone a few weeks so I'm not really clued in on how the update process works!

Isn't that the normal GSM Galaxy SII? In that case you can download it through Kies.

Doopliss

As the padfone release is imminent every should brace themselves as I turn this into the official padfone news thread.

Cnet early review

Shitty camera and kinda bulky, but he got through a weekend with all three parts before needing to charge.

Looks like apps will need an unofficial API to be fully functional for the phone tablet transition. Hopefully it becomes part of jelly bean.

The phone doesn't support aws so Tmo users in US users you are forewarned.

Tech sites (and everyone one else) need to stop saying that the Snapdragon S4 uses Cortex A15.

Ydahs

Does anyone here use their Android tablet for educational purposes? I'm looking to get one to do some basic word processing (using Google Docs) but mainly for holding all my University subjects' lecture notes, slides, etc. Can't stand carrying around a bunch of folders with hundreds of papers and I also dislike carrying around my laptop.

Any suggestions for a decent and affordable Android tab which allows for an attachable keyboard? I'll also do some very basic programming on it too (mainly via ssh so all I need is an FTP client and a text editor) so I guess Android's better suited for that over an iPad anyway.

I'd also like to ask if there are any PDF viewers that allow for note highlighting? I usually like to highlight key notes on lectures or even add my own.

liger05

Orange and Tmobile got the ICS update 2 weeks ago I think.

Tech sites (and everyone one else) need to stop saying that the Snapdragon S4 uses Cortex A15.

I know we're all nerds here to some degree so even the little details matter, but isn't this s4 chip still based off of the same instruction set as the a15? I mean for all intents and purposes this is basically an a15 chip. That may not actually and technically be the case but journalists will use the a15 to describe the level of chip or basically what generation chips we are using...

Its just a way of saying...hey this ain't like those a9 yesterdays news chips hey this is an a15.

Feel good about yourself for knowing the truth, but at the end of the day it doesn't even matter.

At least that's just my humble opinion.

gcubed

its not really based on A15. An A15 core is still going to outclass the S4... but we aren't going to see an A15 processor until the end of the year.

Qualcomm does it a bit different from the other vendors in that they build their own chips using the instruction set from ARM, other vendors license the actual architecture.

giga

I know we're all nerds here to some degree so even the little details matter, but isn't this s4 chip still based off of the same instruction set as the a15? I mean for all intents and purposes this is basically an a15 chip. That may not actually and technically be the case but journalists will use the a15 to describe the level of chip or basically what generation chips we are using...

Its just a way of saying...hey this ain't like those a9 yesterdays news chips hey this is an a15.

Feel good about yourself for knowing the truth, but at the end of the day it doesn't even matter.

At least that's just my humble opinion.
…the S1, S2, and S3 are all based off the ARM instruction set too. The A15 isn't an instruction set. It's new processing core.

Performance might be similar (I think the A15 will outclass the S4), but saying the A15 core is used on the S4 is just not right at all. Tech bloggers should know better.

kehs

Banned
…the S1, S2, and S3 are all based off the ARM instruction set too. The A15 isn't an instruction set. It's new processing core.

Performance might be similar (I think the A15 will outclass the S4), but saying the A15 core is used on the S4 is just not right at all. Tech bloggers should know better.

Good one.

Orange and Tmobile got the ICS update 2 weeks ago I think.

Yeah, but I kept checking the phone update option in the menu and it never found anything. All the phones I've had before have updated via the actual handset.

I've never used Kies but I'm installing it now. ICS here I come!

Cynar

Does anyone here use their Android tablet for educational purposes? I'm looking to get one to do some basic word processing (using Google Docs) but mainly for holding all my University subjects' lecture notes, slides, etc. Can't stand carrying around a bunch of folders with hundreds of papers and I also dislike carrying around my laptop.

Any suggestions for a decent and affordable Android tab which allows for an attachable keyboard? I'll also do some very basic programming on it too (mainly via ssh so all I need is an FTP client and a text editor) so I guess Android's better suited for that over an iPad anyway.

I'd also like to ask if there are any PDF viewers that allow for note highlighting? I usually like to highlight key notes on lectures or even add my own.

I used my asus transformer (TF101) and it was fine for notes. At the beginning I used Polaris Office and I instantly was frustrated as it would mysteriously delete my notes when I would switch between apps which led me to use OfficeSuite Pro which worked pretty good. OfficeSuite pro allowed me to save directly to my dropbox.

Evernote looks to be a pretty good quick notetaking program which I'm considering to use next year as it is simple yet feature rich for just quick notes. OneNote is decent as well.

The one thing that did frustrate me was slides, using the tablet to do anything powerpoint related was absolute garbage. Officesuite somehow corrupted a presentation that I had ready but likely I had an older version synced to my dropbox and was able to just revert to that and saved my ass. I had this happen a few times and would not trust my tablet to do anything incredibly important because of it and would just use it for notes.

ep85

I used my asus transformer (TF101) and it was fine for notes. At the beginning I used Polaris Office and I instantly was frustrated as it would mysteriously delete my notes when I would switch between apps which led me to use OfficeSuite Pro which worked pretty good. OfficeSuite pro allowed me to save directly to my dropbox.

Evernote looks to be a pretty good quick notetaking program which I'm considering to use next year as it is simple yet feature rich for just quick notes. OneNote is decent as well.

The one thing that did frustrate me was slides, using the tablet to do anything powerpoint related was absolute garbage. Officesuite somehow corrupted a presentation that I had ready but likely I had an older version synced to my dropbox and was able to just revert to that and saved my ass. I had this happen a few times and would not trust my tablet to do anything incredibly important because of it and would just use it for notes.

I agree with this man's opinion. Android tablets aren't at the point where I would rely on them for important projects. I would recommend a netbook. They are relatively cheap these days and are as portable as a tablet+dock.

Once Google implements Docs better into the android ecosystem, I can see it becoming more reliable, but as of right now, not really.

gcubed

I agree with this man's opinion. Android tablets aren't at the point where I would rely on them for important projects. I would recommend a netbook. They are relatively cheap these days and are as portable as a tablet+dock.

Once Google implements Docs better into the android ecosystem, I can see it becoming more reliable, but as of right now, not really.

i had very little problems with quickoffice pro HD. Better for more demanding tasks then GDocs android implementation and did a really good job of supporting office documents

rozay

Banned
email-sig1.jpg

gcubed

That shit makes me weep...

so, whats going to happen to Google branded devices when they go LTE? Are they going to sell a version on their website for each carrier? Now that you can just swap SIM cards on Verizon's network to change devices, they need to sell unbranded LTE devices

kehs

Banned
That shit makes me weep...

so, whats going to happen to Google branded devices when they go LTE? Are they going to sell a version on their website for each carrier? Now that you can just swap SIM cards on Verizon's network to change devices, they need to sell unbranded LTE devices

You still need to activate the device on the network, I believe.

Huawei ascend P1 price in europe is laughable(450€). So much for Huawei trying to seriously go after the smartphone market with good prices.

Here goes my affordable good android phone. Seems like I should buy some chinese HTC copy phone or something. lol

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/05/02/i...bootloader-unlock-tool-on-one-series-devices/
http://rootzwiki.com/news/_/articles/dear-htc-can-we-have-our-phones-back-r709

RNzSv.jpg

Once unlocked, the One S Fastboot menu displays a huge ****TAMPERED**** sign right above where it indicates that the bootloader is unlocked. Though the Rogers One X doesn’t display this behaviour, its presence in general is new to current-generation HTC devices, and is likely used to indicate to the carrier that the device was manually unlocked and didn’t come like that from the factory.

RootzWiki, a site dedicated to tweaking and hacking Android phones, has written a great piece titled “Dear HTC, Can We Have Our Phones Back?” It details how, despite the company’s public displays of affection towards the developer community, ceding one of the first bootloader unlocking programs in the industry, they’ve taken steps in the One Series of devices to prevent users from getting at its innards once it is unlocked. As Steven Smith, the piece’s author says of his experience: “I am going to let everyone know now: do not plan on just stopping at rooting this and calling it a day, I tried to remove bloat with Root Explorer and came to a brick wall of denial. I found out you also cannot flash custom kernels in recovery mode.”

It turns out that even with an unlocked bootloader, you cannot flash anything in the boot partition, only to the tmp partition that, once rebooted, restores the original kernel to its rightful place. This prevents user from easily, and safely, using code that isn’t approved by HTC. Not to mention that the phone doesn’t have a removable battery in case it gets into trouble with a particular hacking exercise.

rozay

Banned
you would think after the last round of bitching HTC would move forward, not backwards with the unlock tool. The fuck is this ***TAMPERED*** shit?

give em hell, Internet pitchforks

tino

Banned
Unlocked bootlader....still can not flash boit partition...wha...my head is full of fuck!

This bootloader arm race bullshit is making me sick.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Are there any good web resources on garbage low-cost Chinese Android tablets? I mean specifically comparing different manufacturers, benchmarking some of the Chinese ARM processors (AllWinner), performance under ICS, screen performance, battery life, etc. We're talking about the $80-110 price range here. I know they're all hot garbage.

I already have every other device you can imagine, so I'm not looking for recommendations like "Get an iPad", "Android tablets aren't there yet", "I'd recommend a Galaxy Tab", "Kindle Fire is a better choice", etc. I'm specifically looking for resources comparing junk low quality Chinese made Android tablets to each other.

Blackhead

Redarse
Are there any good web resources on garbage low-cost Chinese Android tablets? I mean specifically comparing different manufacturers, benchmarking some of the Chinese ARM processors (AllWinner), performance under ICS, screen performance, battery life, etc. We're talking about the $80-110 price range here. I know they're all hot garbage.

I already have every other device you can imagine, so I'm not looking for recommendations like "Get an iPad", "Android tablets aren't there yet", "I'd recommend a Galaxy Tab", "Kindle Fire is a better choice", etc. I'm specifically looking for resources comparing junk low quality Chinese made Android tablets to each other.

micdigi ?

Sidenote: you should write some reviews.

So, what were people saying about Nexus devices being dead and just using custom roms, etc... on their HTC devices? Hopefully, Samsung sticks with their unlocked, unencrypted bootloader with easy flashing via Odin/Heimdall.

Circle T

So, what were people saying about Nexus devices being dead and just using custom roms, etc... on their HTC devices? Hopefully, Samsung sticks with their unlocked, unencrypted bootloader with easy flashing via Odin/Heimdall.

Well, they're already starting to sneak into this type of situation with their "Caution Triangle" boot logo after flashing non-stock binaries with ODIN/Heimdall. Thankfully, chainfire was quick to create an app that fixed that, but I've heard that in newer hardware/firmware versions, it doesn't work.

MjHGx.jpg

kehs

Banned

EBay can help you as a jumping off point .

I know mips processors are being using for super low end so that might help as well.

Well, they're already starting to sneak into this type of situation with their "Caution Triangle" boot logo after flashing non-stock binaries with ODIN/Heimdall. Thankfully, chainfire was quick to create an app that fixed that, but I've heard that in newer hardware/firmware versions, it doesn't work.

MjHGx.jpg
So, we're equating a caution triangle that shows when a warranty agreement is broken to a locked and protected boot partition that restores itself on boot?

McLovin

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I went through 3 brand new phones because it kept happening. It's the cache being bad.

It's a fix I figured out and I never had the problem again.

Hold the power button and reboot your phone. When it's done rebooting, hold the power button and shut it down. Then pull the battery out for 2 minutes. Place the battery back in and turn it on. It should stop the random reboots.
I ended up taking it back. The guy did a "hard" Reset and fixed it. Wish I chef the thread sooner but thanks anyway.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Yep. Nexus all the way. Even though they've been temperamental lately.

Cipherr

So, we're equating a caution triangle that shows when a warranty agreement is broken to a locked and protected boot partition that restores itself on boot?

Yeah, I dont personally have a problem with them knowing if you rooted it. I mean, for warranty reasons, that makes perfect sense to me. You go and fuck up your phone or something, thats on you. I can understand why they dont want to pay for some dumbass bricking his phone.

But this HTC stuff goes beyond that, they seemingly want to fuck you out of warranty-ville without even giving you the goods, thats just ridiculous. I dont even plan to root, and this STILL puts more points in the SIII's basket for me. Fuck HTC for that, they just cant get it all right....gotta go and screw with something.

I was speaking more to the "***TAMPERED***" warning.
Well, I can't really hate on HTC or any other company for not wanting back a bunch of damaged and bricked phones from people making false warranty claims, but the bootloader protection on a device that is supposed to be unlocked is bizarre.

rozay

Banned
Well, I can't really hate on HTC or any other company for not wanting back a bunch of damaged and bricked phones from people making false warranty claims, but the bootloader protection on a device that is supposed to be unlocked is bizarre.
Is this protection present on the One X as well or just T-Mobile's One S?

QP3

Hello Android GAF,

So I will be getting my first smartphone soon. Assumed I would just get an iPhone, but decided to make sure I did some researcher first, knowing almost nothing about android phones. That said, I went to my local verizon store today and was very, very impressed with the droid razr. However, i have heard the battery on it is terrible. Also, I have heard something about the droid fighter coming out soon.

Can anyone inform me on these topics? When the fighter is coming out/how it might compare to the razr. also, how is the razor? any other suggestions? thanks!

Hello Android GAF,

So I will be getting my first smartphone soon. Assumed I would just get an iPhone, but decided to make sure I did some researcher first, knowing almost nothing about android phones. That said, I went to my local verizon store today and was very, very impressed with the droid razr. However, i have heard the battery on it is terrible. Also, I have heard something about the droid fighter coming out soon.

Can anyone inform me on these topics? When the fighter is coming out/how it might compare to the razr. also, how is the razor? any other suggestions? thanks!

Droid Razr battery life isn't terrible, also, there's a Droid Razr Maxx with crazy good battery life.

We'll know how the Fighter compares when it launches...

QP3

Droid Razr battery life isn't terrible, also, there's a Droid Razr Maxx with crazy good battery life.

We'll know how the Fighter compares when it launches...

I heard that about the maxi, but my store didn't have any and the gentleman working there said that they were discontinued..??

has a release date for the Fighter been made official?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom