• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

I heard that about the maxi, but my store didn't have any and the gentleman working there said that they were discontinued..??

has a release date for the Fighter been made official?

Maybe he meant the original was supposed to be but the MAXX is the replacement? I honestly haven't heard of anything, they still promote the MAXX like crazy whenever I watch something on Hulu.

Cipherr

I heard that about the maxi, but my store didn't have any and the gentleman working there said that they were discontinued..??

has a release date for the Fighter been made official?

I don't think the Fighter has a release date yet, Ive only just started hearing about it. I think its a while out, a month or more. But Im not sure.

OTOH the Razr Maxx is definitely not discontinued. I just went to Verizon.com and you can order a Maxx right there on the website, or a normal Razr for $99 bucks.

QP3

I don't think the Fighter has a release date yet, Ive only just started hearing about it. I think its a while out, a month or more. But Im not sure.

OTOH the Razr Maxx is definitely not discontinued. I just went to Verizon.com and you can order a Maxx right there on the website, or a normal Razr for $99 bucks.

Ok, thanks a lot for the info.

The seems to be a big price difference between the razr and the razr maxi..is it worth it? what is the difference besides the battery?

Cipherr

Ok, thanks a lot for the info.

The seems to be a big price difference between the razr and the razr maxi..is it worth it? what is the difference besides the battery?

AFAIK absolutely no differences at all. Hundred+ dollar difference in exchange for getting the biggest capacity battery of any smartphone lol. Thats a hell of an asking price. But I guess if extremely long battery life is a requirement /shrug.

You could also buy it from Amazon wireless.

cZidK.png

Get a Razr for a penny, and get a maxx for $199. If you buy through Amazon though you have to be a new customer IIRC, and you have to pay your bill on time and agree not to change your contract for like 6 months to get that discount.

Edit: I just noticed that the MAXX has 32GB storage and the normal RAZR seems to only have 16GB. That might be part of the difference in price.

QP3

AFAIK absolutely no differences at all. Hundred+ dollar difference in exchange for getting the biggest capacity battery of any smartphone lol. Thats a hell of an asking price. But I guess if extremely long battery life is a requirement /shrug.

cZidK.png

Get a Razr for a penny, and get a maxx for $199. If you buy through Amazon though you have to be a new customer IIRC, and you have to pay your bill on time and agree not to change your contract for like 6 months to get that discount.

Edit: I just noticed that the MAXX has 32GB storage and the normal RAZR seems to only have 16GB. That might be part of the difference in price.

Yea, it is quite a jump! I already have a verizon plan though, so ill be buying through them to get the upgrade/2 yr discount. thanks again!

http://i.imgur.com/cZidK.png

there are (were?) 16GB and 32GB RAZR models.

the exact difference is

larger battery
back panel to hold battery
side panels with flaps in slightly different positions due to back cover difference

everything else is 100% identical hardware wise, and the RAZR and RAZR MAXX even use the same firmware updates.

you can even buy a 3rd party kit that will make your RAZR a RAZR MAXX

I don't believe the razr had 32G. It was part of the up sell to the Maxx

well, i was 100% sure the Razr came with 32GB, so i cracked the case with my Google-Fu

the Verizon Droid Razr originally launched with 32GB of storage, 16GB onboard and a 16GB MicroSD. just before the Razr Maxx launch (which comes with 32GB onboard, no MicroSD) they dropped the price of the Razr and removed the 16GB MicroSD from the Razr.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/18/2714917/droid-razr-verizon-drops-price-199-99-16mb-microsd

well, i was 100% sure the Razr came with 32GB, so i cracked the case with my Google-Fu

the Verizon Droid Razr originally launched with 32GB of storage, 16GB onboard and a 16GB MicroSD. just before the Razr Maxx launch (which comes with 32GB onboard, no MicroSD) they dropped the price of the Razr and removed the 16GB MicroSD from the Razr.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/18/2714917/droid-razr-verizon-drops-price-199-99-16mb-microsd

Actually the razr maxx also has only 16gb onboard and comes with a 16Gb MicroSD.

jokkir

Posted on the Apps for Android thread as well but people might want to know here too:

Just a warning guys:

ES File Explorer for some reason messes my phone up when trying to delete files off from the SD card. I have no idea why it's happening but when I delete files, it can make your phone force close all apps and you can't fix it until you reflash a ROM (not even fixing permissions, flashing another kernel or anything fixes it)

My phone is:
Nexus S 4.0.4 deodexed
Matr1x kernel 19.0

With that said, how's Astro? I need a file explorer >__>

Threi

notag
that has never happened to me.

However i do know that ES forces a media scan whenever you delete a file; maybe that has something to do with it?

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
AndroidGAF are there any ICS roms for the Tmo Galaxy S2 that are AOSP and aren't complete & total ass? Because every one I've found is pretty awful, and i absolutely will not use Touchwiz

AndroidGAF are there any ICS roms for the Tmo Galaxy S2 that are AOSP and aren't complete & total ass? Because every one I've found is pretty awful, and i absolutely will not use Touchwiz

Simple answer: No.

I sold my tmo gs2 for this reason.

However it seems the official t989 ics has been leaked which means it will be easier for developers to make an aosp rom. So maybe in a couple weeks you'll have a good rom ;)

US Xperia Play owners! We now have Android 2.3.4 as of May 2.

IDK if that gives us PSN and the PS Store (unlikely, fuck you Verizon), but we do get 720p video recording and some other stuff, including the ability to use the shoulder buttons to take pictures.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Simple answer: No.

I sold my tmo gs2 for this reason.

However it seems the official t989 ics has been leaked which means it will be easier for developers to make an aosp rom. So maybe in a couple weeks you'll have a good rom ;)
My Vibrant died a terrible death on Monday so i bought the GS2 as a replacement and every single rom i have tried has been straight up awful. I was using ICS Passion on my Vibrant and only now am I realizing just how great it was :(

gcubed

Actually the razr maxx also has only 16gb onboard and comes with a 16Gb MicroSD.

thanks. Thats how close i followed that I guess. I even thought the Maxx had 32gb internal

Hi Andriod Gaf,

I'm seriously thinking about making the jump from my iphone to the Sony Xperia S, I've never used an andriod device before so I'm a little hesitant in making the switch. Is there any I should know before jumping in?

Haha. Anyway, after looking at that mod it certainly looks like it adds a lot of cool functionality, but for the most part I'm happy with the vanilla OS so I don't think I'll make the jump just yet.

Maybe in a few months when I'm better acquainted with the phone and I feel like I need a change.

I just want that text go go away because my lock screen looks less sexy now :(

M.D

Well this is random... This site seems to have a picture of the rumored Sony LT29i AKA Hayabusa AKA Xperia GX

Link

jtpsF.jpg

This is the only other image there is of this phone

G3MhY.jpg

Threi

notag
I had to go back to gingerbread myself because the infuse CM9 port was slowly getting less stable for some reason (the first preview test release was stable, and each subsequent release has broken something because the dev wanted to add some feature). Wonky camera and wifi, non-working bluetooth, crappy battery life...it just wasn't worth it.

Doesn't help that android developers tend to be complete divas about their roms, and any bug reports are "just noobs whining"

Akira

Well this is random... This site seems to have a picture of the rumored Sony LT29i AKA Hayabusa AKA Xperia GX

Link

jtpsF.jpg

This is the only other image there is of this phone

G3MhY.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is the Ion.

I'm beginning to think that perhaps the Hayabusa is just the Ion body with upgraded internals and will come out this summer as the Ion in NA and Europe, which could explain why we haven't heard anything about it since CES.

M.D

Huh... you're right! I knew a lot of their new phones looks the same, but I actually remembered the Ion looking ugly, and I thought this one was sexy...

I was also wondering why the AT&T logo was up there.

Stupid me :p

Akira

Hm, while we're on the topic of Sony. While it's great that they are stepping up their smartphone game, I have to question their product lineup. They released the Xperia S earlier this year, which everyone thought was going to be their flagship this year. And now we are hearing about the Hayabusa phone, which is being deemed another "flagship" to be released this summer. But yet there is supposed to a third flagship due for Fall/Winter, the Mint, which supposedly has an AMOLED screen and quad core according to rumors. With the yearly flagship cycle of their competitors, I wonder if they have the wrong strategy. For consumers like us, the worst feeling is to buy a top product only to have a better one released soon after and with Sony's release cycle this feeling is just magnified.

(I need to sleep!)

Ashhong

Is there any performance benefit to installing a launcher like Apex Launcher as a system app? I know it enables widget adding from the app drawer, but I'm talking speed or anything like that.

Decided to pick up a htc one x this evening after seeing the galaxy s 3 announcement. Really happy with my purchase until I noticed that the screens got about 5 dead pixels dotted around the screen. I have the worst luck with dead pixels!

Hi Andriod Gaf,

I'm seriously thinking about making the jump from my iphone to the Sony Xperia S, I've never used an andriod device before so I'm a little hesitant in making the switch. Is there any I should know before jumping in?

get a phone that ships with Android 4.0.x, also known as Ice Cream Sandwich

Threi

notag
Is there any performance benefit to installing a launcher like Apex Launcher as a system app? I know it enables widget adding from the app drawer, but I'm talking speed or anything like that.

No i don't think there is any performance benefit.

Cipherr

Decided to pick up a htc one x this evening after seeing the galaxy s 3 announcement. Really happy with my purchase until I noticed that the screens got about 5 dead pixels dotted around the screen. I have the worst luck with dead pixels!

Hope its not a long drive back, thats sucks man.

New SwiftKey 3 Beta Now Available, Offers A Handful Of Highly-Requested Fixes
  • Improved the UI: there is now a dedicated comma key, and the <123> key is now in the bottom-left corner. And of course you still have the larger spacebar.
  • Refined the Smart Punctuation pop-up.
  • Reintroduced the Long-press duration setting.
  • Improved Smart Space functionality.
  • Further reduced lag on some devices.
  • Fixed a number of bugs, including the missing decimal point in the numpad and the "What's New" dialog popping up all the time.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...e-offers-a-handful-of-highly-requested-fixes/

Circle T

New SwiftKey 3 Beta Now Available, Offers A Handful Of Highly-Requested Fixes

• [*]Improved the UI: there is now a dedicated comma key, and the <123> key is now in the bottom-left corner. And of course you still have the larger spacebar.
  • Refined the Smart Punctuation pop-up.
  • Reintroduced the Long-press duration setting.
  • Improved Smart Space functionality.
  • Further reduced lag on some devices.
  • Fixed a number of bugs, including the missing decimal point in the numpad and the "What's New" dialog popping up all the time.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...e-offers-a-handful-of-highly-requested-fixes/

That first bullet-point is pretty much my only complaint, so getting it fixed is great. I really love SwiftKey.

I'm pretty sure that is the Ion.

I'm beginning to think that perhaps the Hayabusa is just the Ion body with upgraded internals and will come out this summer as the Ion in NA and Europe, which could explain why we haven't heard anything about it since CES.

On screen buttons? At least Sony aren't veering too far away from the look of stock ICS. Unlike Samsung who just don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom