• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

at least you know its hopeless. In all honesty i think its a good way to save money as the rear camera of a tablet is... useless for most people

My parents use the rear camera for their iPad ALLLLLLL the time. They love shooting video with it. Prop it up on the stand and just let it record. Kinda sad myself that this won't have a rear camera, but oh well.

tino

Banned
They could probably just make Jelly Bean another tablet only OS. I'm not sure what they could really add for phones.

I really want limited multitasking. For example splitting up the upper screen for youtube player or chat windows. I don't need feel flowing windows. I hope they consider that.

gcubed

They probably will focus on tablet/desktop enhancements, but I don't see them forking the OS again.

you see the hub bub about the I/O screenshots? It looks like some slight UI refinement as well. Internal browser will probably disappear in favor of full release of Chrome. Hopefully lots of Chrome talk (bring extensions to mobile!)

kehs

Banned
you see the hub bub about the I/O screenshots? It looks like some slight UI refinement as well. Internal browser will probably disappear in favor of full release of Chrome. Hopefully lots of Chrome talk (bring extensions to mobile!)

Yea, I saw that. Blogs are hungry for anything, and Google has stopped being so leaky with their stuff in the past two years.

Have you used the i/o app? Smoothest thing on my phone right now, I don't know what magic they got going on, and the integration with your account is fantastic. Add stuff to calendars, load up i/o stream, locate on internal map. It's a great preview of G+ integration.

SimleuqiR

They could probably just make Jelly Bean another tablet only OS. I'm not sure what they could really add for phones.

I don't think they want the PR nightmare that was Honeycomb.

They probably will focus on tablet/desktop enhancements, but I don't see them forking the OS again.

There are many little things they can take from the hacking community and even OEMs to make the OS more intuitive on mobile.

For example, what Sammy did with the S3 - when laying the phone face down it sets it into "silent" mode. Or the feature of when viewing a contact you can just place the phone up to your ear to automatically call them.

Voice command will probably get a hefty upgrade.

There is definitely room for improvement

Have you used the i/o app? Smoothest thing on my phone right now, I don't know what magic they got going on.

The shear amount of Android session is staggering. My head is spinning. Hopefully all this stuff will be up on Youtube for me to consume.

gcubed

Yea, I saw that. Blogs are hungry for anything, and Google has stopped being so leaky with their stuff in the past two years.

Have you used the i/o app? Smoothest thing on my phone right now, I don't know what magic they got going on.

they checked the box that said "work better"

Fix Google Contacts image resolution!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The OS still needs plenty of polish. But I don't think jelly bean will be a huge improvement like ICS.

I look forward to improved voice that I'll never really use.

gcubed

The OS still needs plenty of polish. But I don't think jelly bean will be a huge improvement like ICS.

I look forward to improved voice that I'll never really use.

it will most definitely not be a rewrite like ICS, but i would be shocked if there wasn't quite a few refinements in it

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Didn't they say there were a bunch of things they wanted to get into ICS, but got bumped to Jelly Bean due to time constraints? I wonder what those could be.

kehs

Banned
I hope they switch as many system apps as possible to the light halo theme or something matching G+/Chrome.

Didn't they say there were a bunch of things they wanted to get into ICS, but got bumped to Jelly Bean due to time constraints? I wonder what those could be.

Always happens, they develop the upcoming and the next one after at the same time.

I'm really hoping that Cyanogen/Natalie thread over adapting the multi-app views was because Google was already working on a proper API for it.

kinggroin

Banned
Fix the still present performance inconsistencies like halving frame rates when the keyboard is present or there is a toast notification.

Increase the speed of the multitasking button.

Unify the shitloads of service they have (ie. Bring gtalk, message, voice and plus messenger together).

Make some capability improvements to Voice Command.

Make chrome standard, and bring over the features and performance of the current stock browser.

Allow the option to disable 'most called' under contacts

Fix Facebook sync and allow high res contact images for non gplus users, server side.

....I think that's it for now.

ScOULaris

Anyone who is using Swype should really update to the latest beta that just launched today. It has a number of really useful refinements, most notably the addition of predictive text ala SwiftKey.

From my tests, the predictive text works every bit as well as that of Swiftkey, so there's really no reason to use anything other than Swype these days. You can go two-handed with predictive typing or one-thumb, lightning-fast swiping with the default behavior.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Unify the shitloads of service they have (ie. Bring gtalk, message, voice and plus messenger together).

Make some capability improvements to Voice Command.

Make chrome standard, and bring over the features and performance of the current stock browser.

I think unifying the streamlining the various services they have either into the OS or as updated and uniform apps is my biggest wish. We have not had solid updates to Music, Talk and Voice in I don't remember how long.

They can fold Talk, Voice and GPlus's Hangouts/Messenger into one unified service that can do video or audio chat and also incorporate voip calling and messaging.

We know a significant Maps update is coming along with the events in GPlus. As long as they can make all their services mesh well and integrate easily, they don't need any revolutionary advances.

SimleuqiR

Fix Facebook sync and allow high res contact images for non gplus users, server side.

....I think that's it for now.

Google can't fix something that never really "Synced" into your contacts. That was the main issue with how FB "synced" contacts, it just really didn't. It appear that way on your phone, but if you went to your Gmail account that information didn't show up.

Pretty much Google said "give us full contact sync from Facebook contacts", the Zuck said "no", and that was that.

Divvy

I want a holo themed market. The current one is uggggglllly

EDIT: Have you guys seen this?
Hu4Cy.jpg

FireCloud

I can think of lots of improvements I'd like to see in Google Play Music. Don't know if that would come around with Jelly Bean or if it would be on its own update schedule. (if any) There hasn't been an update to it in awhile that I remember.

kehs

Banned
I can think of lots of improvements I'd like to see in Google Play Music. Don't know if that would come around with Jelly Bean or if it would be on its own update schedule. (if any) There hasn't been an update to it in awhile that I remember.

I want the ability to share directly from Music. Upload local music through the app(which was in the original apk that leaked), and I'd also like a previous button in the notification bar in portrait mode.
LLShC.gif

giga

Not transcoding my AAC files.
LLShC.gif

Tendo

So my tab 2 7'' gets very hot while the creen is on, but only over the sd card. Is that normal or do i have a bad unit?

jokkir

What do you think the next codename for Android is going to be after Jellybean?

I really want it Klondike Bar but yeah >__>

Divvy

What do you think the next codename for Android is going to be after Jellybean?

I really want it Klondike Bar but yeah >__>

Well there's:
Android 'Key Lime Pie' comes after Jelly Bean

We've been tipped by a reliable source today that Google will be using the name "Key Lime Pie" for the version of Android that comes after Jelly Bean (in fact, the information comes from the very same source that tipped us to the Jelly Bean codename last year). We don't have any guidance on when we might see Key Lime Pie officially unveiled or what the version number may be — we haven't even seen Jelly Bean yet, after all — but it's reasonable to think that it could be a 2013 deliverable, particularly as Google has slowed down Android's iterative pace over the past couple versions.

In the meantime, start getting used to the "KLP" acronym. (And for bonus points, name some other desserts that start with "K.")

Ashhong

they checked the box that said "work better"

Fix Google Contacts image resolution!

Oh God, THIS PLEASE. I set some contact pictures up using pics on my phone, and they look decent on ICS. Just decent. I don't know what their problem is when the OG iPhone did this right from day fucking 1 IIRC.

On top of this, when I had to restore the phone and contacts, the custom contact pictures looked like shit, which I assume is because it used the Google backup mini size. So stupid.

Divvy

They need to redo the Finance app too. It's really shit right now.

It's especially annoying since there isn't a single holo-themed stock app on the market.

Make chrome standard, and bring over the features and performance of the current stock browser

And give it Flash support!

Though to add my 2 cents, Dolphins updated browser is perhaps the best android browser to date. Damned quick, built in flash support and voice support.

kehs

Banned
Someone needs to get on touch with Oxford to let them know that fragmentation has fallen out common usage and should be retired.

I can't believe I/O is so far away...its going to he bananas.

Unicorn

Went to Best Buy today to compare prices for phones (was going to get the Nexus or Droid 4) but the salesguy said that S3 would drop before the Verizon bullshit changeover on the 28th, so I said I would wait until next week to pick that phone up.

Then when I left I thought, "Huh, what if they sell out?"

Oh well, if that is the case, I'll just get the Nexus and wait a few months for the S3 to drop price on the streets and change it out that way without touching my contract.

DarkFlow

Banned
So, Jelly Bean is likely to be Android 4.1 not 5.0? That's what I was thinking as well.
There was no way Jelly Bean was going to be 5.0. The only reason Google went from 3 to 4 so fast was because honeycomb was tablet only. They had to jump numbers to fix that up. Also most whole number updates show significant upgrades from the previous ones. 1.6 to 2.0 was major, while 2.1 - 2.3 were relatively minor back end framework updates.

I hope Jelly Bean brings multi-user profiles, unification of Play Store and Chrome Web Store and more Google Drive integration. A solution similar to AirPlay mirroring would be nice.

I want to back up my phone to the cloud, including my progress in games. I want to start playing Angry Birds on my phone, and pick up where I left off on Chrome on my PC.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Play Store and Chrome Web Store won't be integrated, but we may see CWS/extensions support in Chrome stable.

We'll probably see some form of "Google Games" though. Some kind of way to publish a single game for Google+, Play, and the CWS. Personally, I'm hedging my bets on HTML5/WebView, but Native Client has been brought up as another route it may work.

You can already pick up where you left off on different Chrome installations of Angry Birds, since you can sign in with your Google Account for save syncing.

Also aren't multi-user profiles already in Android kinda? You can have a bunch of Google accounts in the system and choose where and when to use each. I was really surprised by that when I got my GNex, such a complete power-user feature and executed flawlessly. :)

Wanace

Hi All,

Today I bought a Meizu MX (I'm in China) and I want to root it and put ICS on the device. I found a video online to do so on Youtube from the XDA Forum or whatever.

I guess my biggest question is if there is a downside to doing this. Meizu hasn't released an official vanilla 4.0 update yet (it's coming next month I hear) so I think the one they've released is a beta.

After that I can backup my current install and then put everything back once I upgrade with the official version, correct?

Someone needs to get on touch with Oxford to let them know that fragmentation has fallen out common usage and should be retired.

I can't believe I/O is so far away...its going to he bananas.

someone should do a fragmentation chart with all the features and apps that don't work on older versions of Android and/or older phone models vs iOS and Windows Phone.

Hi All,

Today I bought a Meizu MX (I'm in China) and I want to root it and put ICS on the device. I found a video online to do so on Youtube from the XDA Forum or whatever.

I guess my biggest question is if there is a downside to doing this. Meizu hasn't released an official vanilla 4.0 update yet (it's coming next month I hear) so I think the one they've released is a beta.

After that I can backup my current install and then put everything back once I upgrade with the official version, correct?

well, you can back up quite a bit of stuff with root and an app like Titanium Backup, but if you want a full Nandroid backup (backs up entire rom as-is) you'll also want to have Clockwork Mod Recovery (CWM) flashed instead of the stock recovery. not sureon the instructions for that on your particular model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom