• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angst

well, you can back up quite a bit of stuff with root and an app like Titanium Backup, but if you want a full Nandroid backup (backs up entire rom as-is) you'll also want to have Clockwork Mod Recovery (CWM) flashed instead of the stock recovery. not sureon the instructions for that on your particular model.

Yeah, get CWM on your phone and you'll be set. With a full nandroid backup you don't have to worry about a bricked phone any more.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Battery life is so much better on my Galaxy Note compared to my LTE Galaxy Nexus.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Did you do anything to improve the batter life or are you running a stock Note?
Running AOKP. I actually think the better battery life is because I'm stuck using edge on the prepaid T-Mobile plan. Partly, anyway. The battery life is still awesome regardless.

kehs

Banned
I just want to make sure: there exists a Google browser movie playing software that I can use to watch the rentals on my laptop?

I've never rented a movie myself, but I'm pretty sure you can watch them through regular chrome going through the play store.
On your computer

You can watch your movie on any computer with Adobe Flash Player 10.1+ and a Internet connection of at least 1 Mbps.

You can click the Watch button directly from the movie information page. If you aren't there already, you can get there by clicking on the movie thumbnail in your order history on your play.google.com/movies page.

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1257650

Kiraly

Bought myself an HTC One S, really hope I get the S4 version and not the downgraded one - which is absolutely fucking outrageous by the way by HTC.

Yes I know, yet I still bought one. :(

besiktas1

Just found out about the One X wifi problem. After I did the dev thing (my warrenty is void right?). At least I know now why the wifi signal was low. Can't be arsed to deal with changing it so yeah... I'm sticking with what I have.

tino

Banned
Hi All,

Today I bought a Meizu MX (I'm in China) and I want to root it and put ICS on the device. I found a video online to do so on Youtube from the XDA Forum or whatever.

I guess my biggest question is if there is a downside to doing this. Meizu hasn't released an official vanilla 4.0 update yet (it's coming next month I hear) so I think the one they've released is a beta.

After that I can backup my current install and then put everything back once I upgrade with the official version, correct?

The down side is 99.5% of the Meizu guide is in Chinese. Otherwise its fine.

kehs

Banned
Android developer site got a redesign.

I/O is going to be swell.

Also, the site has an action bar with an on screen menu button.

Samsung on the wrong side of history.

They got rid of their diversity charts, uh oh, fragmentationgate.

gcubed

They got rid of their diversity charts, uh oh, fragmentationgate.

Obama probably claimed executive privilege on the diversity charts.

I'm so happy att gs2 is finally getting ics. For such a popular phone I can't believe it took this long. I would have never guessed t mobile to get it first.

SimleuqiR

That is a huge redesign! So much detail and info.

I'm more excited for app updates (or new apps) than anything else.

• Will we see a unification in Google Messaging apps?
  • Will Google Music get better options, tweaks, support - Some have wanted podcast?
  • Google Voice App update & features? Integrated VOIP?
  • Will the integration of Google+ for Flipboard mean the death of Currents?
  • Better Google Drive integration? Automatic Sync for specific directories?

I'm sure there is more stuff I'm missing.

Talking about Google Voice, just checked my Spam folder and as of January the service has blocked 66 spam calls. I love it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
As someone who hasn't been following THAT closely have their been any leaks, rumors, or hints about just what Jelly Bean is going to entail both from a feature perspective as well as from a design perspective as well?

kehs

Banned
Apart from Majel they've kept a pretty tight lid on their development. ICS was pretty complete in terms of functionality.

I seriously can't think of what they could add on a system level to move it forward apart from refining big screen app management.

That is a huge redesign! So much detail and info.

I'm more excited for app updates (or new apps) than anything else.

• Will we see a unification in Google Messaging apps?
  • Will Google Music get better options, tweaks, support - Some have wanted podcast?
  • Google Voice App update & features? Integrated VOIP?
  • Will the integration of Google+ for Flipboard mean the death of Currents?
  • Better Google Drive integration? Automatic Sync for specific directories?

I'm sure there is more stuff I'm missing.

Talking about Google Voice, just checked my Spam folder and as of January the service has blocked 66 spam calls. I love it.

I want to see their Drive APIs get unleashed so we can have total cloud backup/restore/migration. Apple seems to have a much better system with iCloud so far. They've already started, as I noticed all app data is installed into the "android" folder. I've also noticed gallery disregards the root directory completely.

gcubed

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ean-will-be-coming-to-the-galaxy-nexus-first/

41jellybean_thumb.png

Jelly Bean releasing after I/O, not in normal timeframe, not releasing with a flagship phone!

Pctx

Banned
I will fucking punch someone at AT&T if my Skyrocket doesn't get ICS before Jellybean is available on a phone. Dare I say I will go to a store and throw it at someone's head.

SimleuqiR

TheNatural

My Member!
I see a lot of jelly bean info about it not being with the tablet Google is unveiling. Can't tablets just update to 5.0 when it comes out though?

kehs

Banned
What?!? Google is shipping out 4.1 devices already and my Nexus phone hasn't gotten an update yet?! Nice customer support Google, way to throw us under the bus for being early adopters...again.

/xda

gcubed

Awesome, but it's not like 4.1 is 5.0, no need for a new phone to release it. That said, there is that flagship "tablet" rumored to be launched that same day. So it will be the first phone, but not necessarily the first Android device.

i think they did it for all other ones, even .1's

kehs

Banned
I see a lot of jelly bean info about it not being with the tablet Google is unveiling. Can't tablets just update to 5.0 when it comes out though?

Doesn't sound right, If they show a tablet it'll have the latest version, they share code, it's not two separate versions anymore.

--

Also, my excitement doesn't start until I see that statue on the lawn!

JordanKZ

With them saying the Nexus has 4.1 now on the store, that basically means that it'll be sent out to 4.1 devices or at least hit AOSP fairly quickly after Google I/O, it'll probably be like Android 2.2 and the Nexus One where it was literally a week before the first builds got out.

My AOKP Galaxy Nexus is excited.

gcubed

With them saying the Nexus has 4.1 now on the store, that basically means that it'll be sent out to 4.1 devices or at least hit AOSP fairly quickly after Google I/O, it'll probably be like Android 2.2 and the Nexus One where it was literally a week before the first builds got out.

My AOKP Galaxy Nexus is excited.

My LTE Galaxy Nexus will be waiting for 6 more months

My GSM Nexus with unlocked bootloader will be there day one.

I don't think 4.1 will bring many changes, probably just a lot of 'behind the scenes' work. But, if they can squeeze some more performance out of the browser I'm up for that.

JordanKZ

My GSM Nexus with unlocked bootloader will be there day one.

I don't think 4.1 will bring many changes, probably just a lot of 'behind the scenes' work. But, if they can squeeze some more performance out of the browser I'm up for that.

I'm predicting:
  • End of Google Talk, G+ Messenger, Messaging, Google Voice and Messaging as seperate Apps
  • Chrome replacing the stock Browser (basically confirmed)
  • Updates to the Play Store and other Play apps (Music, books, movies)
  • Some small changes to the UI, but nothing that will significantly change Holo
  • Better and more NFC capabilities
  • Google Wallet built into the OS rather than as an app
  • New Google Maps by default
  • Obvious performance improvements

jellybean1_thumb.jpg

And here's your first screenshot. Waddya know, new messaging icon.

kehs

Banned
I'm predicting:
  • End of Google Talk, G+ Messenger, Messaging, Google Voice and Messaging as seperate Apps

jellybean1_thumb.jpg

And here's your first screenshot. Waddya know, new messaging icon.

Looks like the Google Voice icon.

I'm still using ICS Browser+ but these dudes need to add a labs section with quick controls. You hear me Matias!?

I'm predicting:

I hope Chrome integrates quick controls if it becomes the stock browser, I'd miss my full screen browsing experience (and being able to show all my friends how awesome quick controls are when they ask what those blue things are)

rozay

Banned
The google bar doesn't match the rest of Holo, unless they've made more changes.

All I really hope for on the nexus is better performance when the keyboard is out.

Google Music improvements will force me to try out some XDA-unofficial update. That's half my use right there. Themable apps would be a plus. Samsung's apps are black-based to save battery on AMOLED screens. So using Google apps and all their whiteness is a damper.

And give it Flash support!

Though to add my 2 cents, Dolphins updated browser is perhaps the best android browser to date. Damned quick, built in flash support and voice support.

How is it on the tablet? I'm using ICS browser, but hate how it doesn't always load pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom