• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

besiktas1

So who else on gaf has a one x, what you guys running on it? I hate the fact I can't remove some apps, thinking to change the Rom and need help.

rozay

Banned
I think the coolest thing about that Sharp interface is that the on screen softkeys change when you leave the launcher and enter an app. The apps have the 4.0 standard back, home, app switcher softkeys, and when going back to the launcher it switches to phone, mail, browser and app switcher softkeys. Hope AOKP can implement that at some point.

Hieberrr

Hey guys, what's a good Gallery app replacement or app that has 4x2 picture frames?

I hate that ICS comes with a fucking square picture frame that is so awkwardly sized O__O

start here.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1538

there's a few nice Rom that completely improve the One X.

I'm running CleanROM DE, its a mix of AOSP and sense...so it feel like stock vanilla, but got some of sense good parts, like the camera app.

Been thinking about trying this... I'm rooted/unlocked on the 1.85 stock RUU...

Is there anything that is currently not working?

Hate when stuff doesn't work.
Its the only thing keeping me from the cm9 port... They have like three issues.

Nfc
Camcorder
And one more thing I can't remember

Been thinking about trying this... I'm rooted/unlocked on the 1.85 stock RUU...

Is there anything that is currently not working?

Hate when stuff doesn't work.
Its the only thing keeping me from the cm9 port... They have like three issues.

Nfc
Camcorder
And one more thing I can't remember

Everything works with CleanRom SE & DE

I also tried AOKP and it works well too, but I was getting better signal with cleanrom.

best thing about the roms are the menu button mod...makes it like the GS3. no annoying 3 dot menu buttons

custom roms are superior to stock sense, which horrible and laggy.

Tossing this here as I don't think this was covered.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaborvida/chameleon-a-better-home-screen-for-your-android-ta-0

Chameleon is a replacement home screen for Android tablets. The beauty of it however is that you can customize it to your liking.

Hands on with Chameleon from Android Central - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBj0_JppYP0

Can't wait for the beta's to hit the contributors. Will definitely rock this on my Xoom and Thrive.

photo-full.jpg

chameleon-android-home-screen.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's basically a tiling window manager using widgets as windows.

So basically the best thing to happen to Android ever.

Fox318

Tossing this here as I don't think this was covered.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaborvida/chameleon-a-better-home-screen-for-your-android-ta-0

Chameleon is a replacement home screen for Android tablets. The beauty of it however is that you can customize it to your liking.

Hands on with Chameleon from Android Central - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBj0_JppYP0

Can't wait for the beta's to hit the contributors. Will definitely rock this on my Xoom and Thrive.

photo-full.jpg

chameleon-android-home-screen.jpg
That looks pretty cool.

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I just got my first ever Android enabled Smart Phone and was trying to connect to my Wifi network and browse the net at home so I could download apps and save bandwidth or be able to at least browse the web in places with low reception or even abroad, but I found this article here saying I have to download special software on my W7 PC?

If that's the case, what's the point of having a WiFi enabled phone at all? Or, as a smart phone newbie, am I missing something glaringly obvious?

Angst

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I just got my first ever Android enabled Smart Phone and was trying to connect to my Wifi network and browse the net at home so I could download apps and save bandwidth or be able to at least browse the web in places with low reception or even abroad, but I found this article here saying I have to download special software on my W7 PC?

If that's the case, what's the point of having a WiFi enabled phone at all? Or, as a smart phone newbie, am I missing something glaringly obvious?

Of course you can connect to wifi with your smart phone. You DO have a wifi router, right? The link you posted is useful if you DON'T have Wifi and want to share a cabled connection from your wifi enabled PC.

If you have a wifi router and still can't connect, you probably need to change channel and/or encryption method on your router.

Edit - this is definitely the place to ask :p

Huh? So you want to connect your Android phone to your internal wifi network? Then you all do is goto Settings -> Wireless Settings -> scan for networks and as long as your wifi is broadcasting you'll be able to see it, connect and configure any settings such as WEP/WPA and you're off.

No special software needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sHMN4k8gT8

kehs

Banned

That article is about ad hoc networks which is something completely different. As mentioned above make sure your wifi is on, and then go to setting-wifi you should see a list of available networks. Click on yours and you'll be prompted for a key.

What phone are you using btw?

Unicorn

So, I'm going to get a phone tomorrow before the Verizon shittrain starts (it hasn't started yet, has it [death of unl. Data]) but I still can't decide between the G Nexus or the Droid 4.

I don't know if I can make the transition to full touch screen typing as things like Swype still frustrate me and can't replace the speed of an actual keyboard or even t9. That's why Droid 4 is in the VS match.

Also, where is the cheapest place to get the new phone (obviously through renewing my contract, for now).

thespot84

So, I'm going to get a phone tomorrow before the Verizon shittrain starts (it hasn't started yet, has it [death of unl. Data]) but I still can't decide between the G Nexus or the Droid 4.

I don't know if I can make the transition to full touch screen typing as things like Swype still frustrate me and can't replace the speed of an actual keyboard or even t9. That's why Droid 4 is in the VS match.

Also, where is the cheapest place to get the new phone (obviously through renewing my contract, for now).

Gnex with Swiftkey is like being born-again (I came from an OG droid)

AndyD

aka andydumi
That's exactly what I'm using now, an OG Droid. Had it for over 2 years now. Love this thing. How is it different than Swype?

Swype lets you swype an entire word in one motion. Swiftkey has an excellent prediction engine that learns from your typing, so within a few weeks you can type whole common sentences with a few strokes.

thespot84

Swype lets you swype an entire word in one motion. Swiftkey has an excellent prediction engine that learns from your typing, so within a few weeks you can type whole common sentences with a few strokes.

Yeah, you actually type each letter instead of the gesture recognition. I type really fast and really errorful and it almost always predicts what i wanted to say and puts it in for me. I think the record for typing speed on a phone is with swiftkey, if I'm not mistaken.

June 28th!

As for cheapest, you can usually catch a break on Amazon or http://www.wirefly.com/.

TheTowel

Everything works with CleanRom SE & DE

I also tried AOKP and it works well too, but I was getting better signal with cleanrom.

best thing about the roms are the menu button mod...makes it like the GS3. no annoying 3 dot menu buttons

custom roms are superior to stock sense, which horrible and laggy.

Still waiting for this to drop for the evo 4g lte. Some parts of sense are nice so it'll be nice to keep that while removing the bloat.

Of course you can connect to wifi with your smart phone. You DO have a wifi router, right? The link you posted is useful if you DON'T have Wifi and want to share a cabled connection from your wifi enabled PC.

If you have a wifi router and still can't connect, you probably need to change channel and/or encryption method on your router.

Edit - this is definitely the place to ask :p

Huh? So you want to connect your Android phone to your internal wifi network? Then you all do is goto Settings -> Wireless Settings -> scan for networks and as long as your wifi is broadcasting you'll be able to see it, connect and configure any settings such as WEP/WPA and you're off.

No special software needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sHMN4k8gT8

That article is about ad hoc networks which is something completely different. As mentioned above make sure your wifi is on, and then go to setting-wifi you should see a list of available networks. Click on yours and you'll be prompted for a key.

What phone are you using btw?

Oh ok gotcha. It's just I can connect to my network, but it says I'm not connected to a network when I try to browse on the default browser (I turned off the mobile network to insure I was strictly using Wifi). Being completely new to Android and smart phones I thought there was some kind of quirk I didn't know about.

The phone is Virgin Mobile's HTC Evo V 4G with Android 4.0.3

kehs

Banned
Oh ok gotcha. It's just I can connect to my network, but it says I'm not connected to a network when I try to browse on the default browser (I turned off the mobile network to insure I was strictly using Wifi). Being completely new to Android and smart phones I thought there was some kind of quirk I didn't know about.

Do the other applications work (gmail/market/etc)? Do you see the wifi icon in the notifcation bar, and what color is it?

Do you have your wif network with MAC address filtering?

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/1...eed&utm_campaign=Feed:+DroidLife+(droid+life)

tablet already shipping to warehouses, going to be a "buy it today!" thing at I/O. Good.

The no rear camera comment has me hopelessly wishing it's a padfone-esque enclosure for the GN.

kehs

Banned
at least you know its hopeless. In all honesty i think its a good way to save money as the rear camera of a tablet is... useless for most people

Yea, for $200 bucks, it'd have to be a really lousy one anyways.

It would be a shame if they don't capitalize on Asus + pogo pins + their Dynamic Display code. A damn shame.

kehs

Banned
What's that? is it like the Nexus dock pins on the side?

Yea, they're sometimes called pogo pins cause the receiving dock are usually spring loaded.

----

Horwitz on G+ plus mobile integration:

But Android offers opportunities for Google to use the information you share on G+, for example priotising calls when a mobile is in silent mode.

“My phone should understand the relationship I have with my wife and put the call through,” Mr Horowitz said.

Another iOS idea stolen!

http://blogs.ft.com/tech-blog/2012/06/google-plus-leweb/#axzz1y8SqdsaL

SimleuqiR

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/19...8droid+life%29

tablet already shipping to warehouses, going to be a "buy it today!" thing at I/O. Good.

Nice! Still not sure if I will bite. My Transformer is doing OK, just as long as I'm not using Chrome to navigate the internet.

The no rear camera comment has me hopelessly wishing it's a padfone-esque enclosure for the GN.

I used the camera on my Transformer once. The front facing is more important to me, for the occasional Gtalk or Hangout session.

The Padaphone thing is not gonna happen. Yes, it would be cool, but how many Tunas have been sold to the consumer? And out of those how many really want a tablet or a shell of a tablet? They need their own separate device (for now) to see how popular it becomes.

i ask people to join G+ just so i can get a halfway decent caller id picture

I don't get calls on my smartphone - I swear we need to take the word "phone" out of these devices names. I rarely receive or make calls on it. Though automatic large contact pictures is one of the benefits of having people on Google+, so I can't blame you for wanting that.

Edit:

I have my doubts they will sell 3 million of these by the second half of this year.

Googy please!

Do the other applications work (gmail/market/etc)? Do you see the wifi icon in the notifcation bar, and what color is it?

Do you have your wif network with MAC address filtering?

Got it, turned out I the WEP Key I entered was incorrect. Works like a charm now.

Also if you want to browse content like file servers, mapped drives, etc... on your android, check out File Manager / File Manager HD. I know there's other's but I perfer this. It lets you setup "Bookmarks" to those resources and as long as you're on the network you can access them or external if you have a VPN / Remote desktop going. Works wonders when you want to stream content over the house but not bog down your Android device.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/1...eed&utm_campaign=Feed:+DroidLife+(droid+life)

Don't say that ;( I just freaking shipped my Wife's Thrive out to be repaired cause the weak ass screen cracked. I could have used one of those Nexus tablets :(

TheNatural

My Member!
Is there an 'Android tablet for Dummies' type FAQs anywhere?

Im really interested in this Google tablet coming soon - what type of capabilities should it be able to do? Are things like Google Talk from Gmail possible, and do HDMI outs usually come in that price range? I'm dumb as a rock as far as tablet capabilities go.

Im really interested in this Google tablet coming soon - what type of capabilities should it be able to do? Are things like Google Talk from Gmail possible, and do HDMI outs usually come in that price range? I'm dumb as a rock as far as tablet capabilities go.
It would be foolish to try and guess the specs. Google Talk should be possible though.

kehs

Banned

All of the stuff in ICS is available for tablets, most tablets also come with HDMI out or a dongle for hdmi out.

http://www.android.com/about/ice-cream-sandwich/

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-4.0-highlights.html

e: Just realized you meant the Nexus tablet, I would be suprised if the tablet doesn't have HDMI out via MHL or a port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom