• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm dying to know what the rest of Android-GAF thinks of the Microsoft surface...

To be honest based on price the pro version could keep me from buying another android tablet...

But for some reason I'm dying to buy an Asus transformer...

But I know Asus will probably release an amazing windows 8 pro tab too.

What are you guys' thoughts?

People are saying this could compete against the ipad...but I think it could be a big hurt for android tabs...

I owned a Xoom and loved it but had to get rid of it for monetary reasons...

TheNatural

My Member!
It would be foolish to try and guess the specs. Google Talk should be possible though.

All of the stuff in ICS is available for tablets, most tablets also come with HDMI out or a dongle for hdmi out.

http://www.android.com/about/ice-cream-sandwich/

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-4.0-highlights.html

e: Just realized you meant the Nexus tablet, I would be suprised if the tablet doesn't have HDMI out via MHL or a port.

Thanks for the info, next weeks conference should be interesting.

kehs

Banned
I'm dying to know what the rest of Android-GAF thinks of the Microsoft surface...

To be honest based on price the pro version could keep me from buying another android tablet...

People are saying this could compete against the ipad...but I think it could be a big hurt for android tabs...

The surface itself looks to be one of the better made windows 8 tablets. The pro version in particular is a beast. Anyone looking for an RT tablet would be better off getting something from another manufacturer though, because those things are going be really expensive due to their construction.

Android tablet vs Windows RT, I'd still take an android tablet. Pro vs Android though? Pro wins every time.

Darkkn

So what is the deal with Chrome? On my GS3 it's not nearly as smooth as the stock browser. In fact it even stutters in GAF mobile site on a most powerful Android device... It also does not have some great features like fullscreen mode, quick controls or offline sites. The stock browser also syncs with desktop chrome bookmarks so i wonder what is the point of Chrome on Android?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So what is the deal with Chrome?

4ABve.jpg

Chrome Beta for Android.

tino

Banned
So what is the deal with Chrome? On my GS3 it's not nearly as smooth as the stock browser. In fact it even stutters in GAF mobile site on a most powerful Android device... It also does not have some great features like fullscreen mode, quick controls or offline sites. The stock browser also syncs with desktop chrome bookmarks so i wonder what is the point of Chrome on Android?

Have you tried ICS Browser+? It's like the default browser, but better.

Pro sounds awesome. Would have to be priced well though.

Still not sold on the Windows tablet. Why? They avoided the cost question for a reason. That thing is easily going to be more than the iPad, say $600-800, placing it well out of the range for many. Meanwhile I full expect Google to pull a rabbit out of it's hat (ass??) come Google I/O 2012.

As for the Xoom, I still own mine, still rocks. Got the TeamEoS ICS rom on it and it flys, the only time I'm sad is when I see stuff market for Tegra 3 and I only have a Tegra 2... Until Google I/O 2012 that is.

Bring on the Nexus tab!

kehs

Banned
Still not sold on the Windows tablet. Why? They avoided the cost question for a reason. That thing is easily going to be more than the iPad, say $600-800, placing it well out of the range for many. Meanwhile I full expect Google to pull a rabbit out of it's hat (ass??) come Google I/O 2012.

As for the Xoom, I still own mine, still rocks. Got the TeamEoS ICS rom on it and it flys, the only time I'm sad is when I see stuff market for Tegra 3 and I only have a Tegra 2... Until Google I/O 2012 that is.

Bring on the Nexus tab!

Have you looked into chainfire 3d?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1087427

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...e.cf3d&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Looks like wirefly only let's you get that stuff if you're getting a new account. Also, Amazon doesn't let me buy phones (at least for Verizon).

Thanks for the tip though, as wirefly could help a friend out.
Why can't you buy it on Amazon? I got my Verizon Nexus through them while renewing my contract.

jokkir

Posted this on the Android Gaming thread but will post it here too:

Odd... I scanned my phone with Avast! (phone version) and it said that the game DOOORS was a trojan/virus? I got the game on the Play Store.

HMM...

False positive, maybe?

kehs

Banned
Jokkir: Possibly, those scanning apps, just like on desktops can be super sensitive.

-----

Google I/O App

You'll be able to see the livestreams on 3.0+ devices. So awesome. It also appears to have a stream from G+ embedded in it, which means they are probably going to start pushing G+ APIs.

NomarTyme

I want the Pro version, but I gonna wait for the 2nd generation version.

Copying Apple again. Sigh.
Apple's lawyer are on this!

I want the Pro version, but I gonna wait for the 2nd generation version.

That's probably a good rule to go buy, but if somebody doesn't buy the 1st gen version, there won't be a 2nd gen version, at least not from MS...

Best case scenario:

This thing is wildly successful(which unfortunately I think won't happen), and this success sparks massive competition, with both Apple and Google camps in red alert innovate mode...

oh yeah also driving prices down(which definitely won't happen)

Likely Scenario based on past events:
my crystal ball says this goes the way of the dodo, Zune and Microsoft Kin phones

basically pre-killed by the ipad3.

although i still want a pro, i mean full windows 8, this thing has to be sucessful.

sorry for randomly writing my thoughts, upon further review i'm all over the place

NomarTyme

That's probably a good rule to go buy, but if somebody doesn't buy the 1st gen version, there won't be a 2nd gen version, at least not from MS...

Best case scenario:

This thing is wildly successful(which unfortunately I think won't happen), and this success sparks massive competition, with both Apple and Google camps in red alert innovate mode...

my crystal ball says this goes the way of the dodo, Zune and Microsoft Kin phones

although i still want a pro, i mean full windows 8, this thing has to be sucessful.

sorry for randomly writing my thoughts, upon further review i'm all over the place

I take my chances....

quaere

So, Dolphin HD beta. The first real third party Webkit browser. The only way for 2.3 users to get an updated Webkit browser. 400+ on the HTML5 test. As someone running 2.3 right now, this is great news.

Too bad tech journalists don't understand what a browser engine is and think this is like all the other Android browsers.

kehs

Banned
I really hate that the took out the swipe on keyboard to change languages. Especially since it fits in so well with ics styling.

yogloo

Just dropping by, wanted to share with everyone about my latest ICS adventure. Paranoid android rom. If it is available for your phone everyone should totally try it out. It's basically a hybrid rom. For each application, you are able to set a custom dpi or switch between tablet ui and phone ui.
This might seem like a small thing but some application have an infinitely better ui in tablet mode compared to phone mode especially for newer phones with bigger screen estate. For example, gmail, default browser and the phone book.
Everyone should try the rom out, it makes the phone experience so much better.

jokkir

I feel like I betrayed everyone. I applied to the Apple store just now despite having no experience with Macs and whatnot >__> lol

So I just got a HTC One XL and am pretty happy with it so far. Keen to try out these live wallpaper things after being forced to have none (wp7) for my last phone - any video game related suggestions?

Best case scenario:

I disagree. Microsoft was pretty explicit during their conference about the Xbox being their most successful hardware.

The Xbox (1) itself was not successful. it cost them a mint, and only sold around 20 million units. That didn't stop microsoft from applying what did and didn't work and developing the MUCH more successful Xbox 360.
Even the Zune wasn't really killed by the ipod- it was killed because the market for standalone players is being cannibalized by smartphones. There's no future there.

I can see microsoft going ahead with surface v.2 even if the first is a failure.

tino

Banned
So NBA Jam is currently on sale for $0.99 and I want to buy it. However, it says that it's not compatible with my Droid Razr Maxx, but it IS compatible with my old-as-fuck Droid X. Any idea why this would be the case?

Just buy it and use Astro Manager or ES manager to transfer the apk to your new phone. Trust me Play market doesn't know what it is doing.

It doesn't let my Galaxy Note purchase the Photoshop Touch app but if I change the dpi, it will let me. Play market is retarded (or Adobe, take your pick).

kehs

Banned
At least 1250 people use Android tablets.

Of these tablet users, the Android platform has drawn level with iOS, largely in part because of the strong sales of the Kindle. 52% of tablet owners have an iOS operating system, while 51% use an Android powered tablet (percentages do not add up to 100% because tablet owners own/use more than one type of tablet). This is a drastic change from 2011, which saw 72% of tablet owners use some form of the iPad while only 32% used an Android tablet.

http://www.online-publishers.org/in...er_part_i_of_iii_introduction_overall_tablet_

Angst

Just buy it and use Astro Manager or ES manager to transfer the apk to your new phone. Trust me Play market doesn't know what it is doing.

It doesn't let my Galaxy Note purchase the Photoshop Touch app but if I change the dpi, it will let me. Play market is retarded (or Adobe, take your pick).
Just use a market app that is modded to spoof your device's usual DPI and you'll be good.

LCD Density Modder Pro does this for you, but you can do it manually as well (XDA search it)

tino

Banned
^^^^^^ No I refuse to purchase it if Adobe can't get their act together. There is no reason why a regular Galaxy Note with high dpi can't use PS Touch. This is something Adobe need to fix.

The Amazon Fire market share is very impressive. It's owned by 28% of the tablet owners. That's more than 3 times of Nook Tablet and very close to iPad 2 (31%)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is there a way to get the built in DLNA player on my Droid2 to play tracks in the correct/track number order? It always plays everything alphabetically, which is obviously a problem if I'm trying to listen to a full album. All tracks are tagged correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom