• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you work for that side? Nothing in that post suggest what you wrote.

Mozilla teases 'something BIG' coming for Android next week with Firefox

The folks at Mozilla have taken to Twitter to tease us all about a big​ BIG update in Firefox for Android next week. The details are sparse (as they should be in any teasers worth their salt) only promising something fast, smart, and safe. Firefox development for Android has been steady, but slow, with small and frequent updates to their beta builds. This has many Android users less than interested in their offering, but the old adage "good things come to those who wait" comes to mind when talking about Mozilla.

We're excited any time a big player makes a splash in the Android pool, but Mozilla is pretty near and dear to our hearts. All of us want to see something spectacular, and the furry-necked part of me wants to see them hit it out of the park and blow everyone away, smack dab in the middle of Google I/O. We're watching things closely here, and you'll know just as soon as we do.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
He's still going to have to wait months to get whatever version of android releases with the next batch of nexus phones, considering how long it took for rollout of 2.3 on the N1 and 4.0 on the NS (not to mention they both had serious battery drain issues). It's a great phone for a good stock experience, but I would hesitate before telling people they will get updates immediately.

Being a nexus one owner when 2.2 was announced then leaked months before any other phone got it was the good life, though. I don't think it's possible for 4.1 to be as important of an update as 2.2 was, but we'll see next week. I will applaud google if it gets pushed to takju phones before the middle of July.

But Google's changed! You'll see! You'll all see!

kehs

Banned
How do they calculate the percentages? I imagine a lot of older phones fall out of use as they get upgraded.

The numbers reported are only for devices that have access the market in the previous two weeks.

---

Don't feel like making a new thread or anything, but Posner finally threw out the Apple/Motorola case. I'm reading through the dismissal, and he's laying into Apple's absurdity so much, you would think he was was part of android gaf:

There is no evidence, and it seems more than unlikely, that occasional partial obstruction would appreciably reduce the value of Motorola’s smartphones to consumers—Apple didn’t even bother to install a notification window on its devices until last year.

The notion that these minor-seeming infringements have cost Apple market share and consumer goodwill is implausible, has virtually no support in the record, and so fails to indicate that the benefits to Apple from an injunction would exceed the costs to Motorola

No more can Apple be permitted to force a trial in federal court the sole outcome of which would be an award of $1.

It would be ridiculous to dismiss a suit for failure to prove damages and allow the plaintiff to refile the suit so that he could have a second chance to prove damages. This case is therefore dismissed with prejudice; a separate order to that effect is being entered today.

It's a pretty entertaining read.
http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/97979282?access_key=key-2fxyxlkc91re893ri4u5

gcubed

They numbers reported are only for devices that have access the market in the previous two weeks.

---

Don't feel like making a new thread or anything, but Posner finally threw out the Apple/Motorola case. I'm reading through the dismissal, and he's laying into Apple's absurdly he was was part of android gaf:

It's a pretty entertaining read.
http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/97979282?access_key=key-2fxyxlkc91re893ri4u5

i'm shocked... SHOCKED i tell you, that this hasnt been posted in the OT

r1chard

Don't like that SwiftKey got rid of the "!" and "?" keys in the tablet layout :-(

Also it seems to predict/prompt "I'm" and "I'll" way less often when I type "im" or "ill" with this release...

Al-ibn Kermit

Don't like that SwiftKey got rid of the "!" and "?" keys in the tablet layout :-(

Also it seems to predict/prompt "I'm" and "I'll" way less often when I type "im" or "ill" with this release...

I think that it's relearning your punctuation habits. It's definitely weird for now but hopefully it catches on.

ICS on the Xperia S effectively turns a C-tier phone into an A-tier phone. It's that good, really

Yup, I'm seriously considering selling my Sensation and getting the Xperia S now that ICS is out. It seems better in just about every way other than the SoC which is the same. More storage, better battery, better screen, 100x better ICS because no Sense, unlocked bootloader. HTC really do put out shit phones.

I've seen the Xperia S for £299 unlocked on sale a couple of times, I think I'll wait until that kind of offer comes back.

Cipherr

And the dick measuring contest continues.

Shrug, if that turns out to be real I would buy it. Im probably going to hold for about a month after the S3 drops to see what props up on the horizon before jumping in. If that phone materializes, I would buy it over the S3, assuming it has a fucking MicroSD. Fuck them and their unibody 16GB shit.

And also, for Amazon to dump Android, they would have needed to be shipping hardware running the OS to begin with....

From the end of July the Xperia S/P/U/Sola are going to start shipping with ICS in the box! The Xperia GX international is set for the end of September, it will not come to Europe (Asia, North America only), we are going to get a different version with an improved camera module and no micro SD. Otherwise it is the same (MSM8960, 32GB, 1750mAh, 4.6" 1280x720 S-IPS) and will ship around a month later with ICS on board.

From the end of July the Xperia S/P/U/Sola are going to start shipping with ICS in the box! The Xperia GX international is set for the end of September, it will not come to Europe (Asia, North America only), we are going to get a different version with an improved camera module and no micro SD. Otherwise it is the same (MSM8960, 32GB, 1750mAh, 4.6" 1280x720 S-IPS) and will ship around a month later with ICS on board.

I'm still too scared to buy an Android phone, but this is getting harder with each day.

Yeah, I was thinking the same, I really want to get rid of this shitty Sensation and now Sony have made it very difficult for me not to make it happen! FUCK HTC!!!!!

Alucrid

Banned
Need a bit of help. My droid X is stuck at the boot screen (red circle with white M) when I plug it into the charger. I left it charged all night but I guess the battery isn't working either since I can't boot it up from there. Holding home and the power button while booting doesn't work either. Not sure what caused it since I hadn't installed or changed anything before now. Anything I should try? Could going to the Verizon store do anything? I'm guessing it's not the battery and more of a phone not charging it when plugged in.

kharma45

Why didn't they add in an S4 too? Seems like they're still cheaping out in that respect.

Talking bollocks.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So do you guys recommend rooting? I don't if the experience I have with CFW on the PSP will help me with root.

kinggroin

Banned
Need a bit of help. My droid X is stuck at the boot screen (red circle with white M) when I plug it into the charger. I left it charged all night but I guess the battery isn't working either since I can't boot it up from there. Holding home and the power button while booting doesn't work either. Not sure what caused it since I hadn't installed or changed anything before now. Anything I should try? Could going to the Verizon store do anything? I'm guessing it's not the battery and more of a phone not charging it when plugged in.

Store. Asap.

Question for you guys who keep tabs on new phones. Are there going to be any new phones coming out in the fall? I've held off upgrading and I think I'll get myself a new phone as a early present for myself.

I'm using T-Mobile. Where can I look them up?

Question for you guys who keep tabs on new phones. Are there going to be any new phones coming out in the fall? I've held off upgrading and I think I'll get myself a new phone as a early present for myself.

I'm using T-Mobile. Where can I look them up?

there are always new phones. better phones. spring, summer, fall, winter. always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom