• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need a bit of help. My droid X is stuck at the boot screen (red circle with white M) when I plug it into the charger. I left it charged all night but I guess the battery isn't working either since I can't boot it up from there. Holding home and the power button while booting doesn't work either. Not sure what caused it since I hadn't installed or changed anything before now. Anything I should try? Could going to the Verizon store do anything? I'm guessing it's not the battery and more of a phone not charging it when plugged in.

Something bad happened and now your is is is toast, which is why its not charging. If you heat battery life left i'd say flash it via sbf. If not then yes get to a verizon store and hope they'll help you.

quaere

Question for you guys who keep tabs on new phones. Are there going to be any new phones coming out in the fall? I've held off upgrading and I think I'll get myself a new phone as a early present for myself.

I'm using T-Mobile. Where can I look them up?
Of course there will be plenty of new phones coming out but we're not going to see a jump from current performance levels for some time.

The next step up will be when the first A15 chips hit, and fall would be early for that. Most likely looking at the end of the year.

TheTowel

While I may be new to the game, hardware is advancing so rapidly that I'm not sure anyone would notice the difference between today's best smartphones and 6 months from now flagship device. Software is the real current limitation. Always can be tweaked, never seems to be. Better throw another 1gb of ram to alleviate the issues!

Akira

From the end of July the Xperia S/P/U/Sola are going to start shipping with ICS in the box! The Xperia GX international is set for the end of September, it will not come to Europe (Asia, North America only), we are going to get a different version with an improved camera module and no micro SD. Otherwise it is the same (MSM8960, 32GB, 1750mAh, 4.6" 1280x720 S-IPS) and will ship around a month later with ICS on board.

What? I thought the GX was going to be released with ICS? It would be incredibly stupid to launch a new flagship with Gingerbread in third quarter of the year, only to update it a month later.

Crippled Galaxy got to the top on the strength of its price. ;)

Most of the people who bought the Nexus on GAF either paid full price for the International one at launch or bought the Verizon one at launch. So I guess the strength of the $800 unlocked or $300 + 2 year Verizon contract price at launch really was a factor in putting the One True Best Galaxy at the top of all Galaxies. ;)

gimmmick

Downloaded the leak android 4.04 build for my bionic and now installing. I haven't felt this exciting about android since getting my first nexus one and installing froyo.

gimmmick

Ok I think I fucked myself over.

I keep getting this error sign on fastboot.

invalid flash mode 0A.71

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S) (Boot Failure)
0A.71

Battery Low
Cannot Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

Invalid CG OTV (CG: webtop): Invalid SP Data
Invalid CG HAB (CG: webtop, status: 0x04E)
Invalid CG OTV (CG: webtop)

Anyone know how what to do?

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Ok I think I fucked myself over.

I keep getting this error sign on fastboot.

invalid flash mode 0A.71

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S) (Boot Failure)
0A.71

Battery Low
Cannot Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

Invalid CG OTV (CG: webtop): Invalid SP Data
Invalid CG HAB (CG: webtop, status: 0x04E)
Invalid CG OTV (CG: webtop)

Anyone know how what to do?

Your post looks similar to this one, from 2 days ago on rootwiki. Does the suggestion they offer help?

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/28162-droid-bionic-boot-failure-ics-leak/

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Even if Jelly Bean does release soon am I the only person scratching his head wondering what OEMs can do in terms of JB hardware this year? I get what Google can do in terms of a new Nexus device, but I'm wondering what OEMs can really do beyond what HTC and Samsung have already done this year.

Are we even going to have any new chipsets available by the end of the year that'll be mass market ready? Seems like anything they do would just be like a remix of the One X or Galaxy SIII just with JB preinstalled. Seems like better off just selling the current hardware and giving them the update.

Everyone still seems to be scrambling to get new LTE chipsets ready which won't be till 2013, and networks in NA and abroad seem to still be building out.

Am I crazy for thinking this GAF?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Soo, since I can renew my contract during the next few months I started to look into current Android phones, is there a lot of stuff you can tell me about the Nexus? I kinda like it from what I've seen, but how is it these days? Still a good phone? Battery holding up longer compared to launch time?

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I will be another person asking about an upgrade. I've got an EVO 4G and I am on Sprint, I think my family is upgrading soon and I'll be doing it with them.

I don't mind an iPhone, but I prefer Android, so what would you say is the best upgrade?

I'm not huge on gaming because I just see it as a drain on the battery and I have portable systems for dedicated gaming. I like streaming music and social networking. I also take a fair amount of photographs.

Also, I love to customise the phone, but I'm pretty terrible at rooting(i.e. never rooted before), so something with bloatware that can't be removed easily wouldn't be great.

If this is the wrong thread to post this, just direct me to the right one, or if anyone can PM me some better details it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

kehs

Banned
Even if Jelly Bean does release soon am I the only person scratching his head wondering what OEMs can do in terms of JB hardware this year? I get what Google can do in terms of a new Nexus device, but I'm wondering what OEMs can really do beyond what HTC and Samsung have already done this year.

Are we even going to have any new chipsets available by the end of the year that'll be mass market ready? Seems like anything they do would just be like a remix of the One X or Galaxy SIII just with JB preinstalled. Seems like better off just selling the current hardware and giving them the update.

Everyone still seems to be scrambling to get new LTE chipsets ready which won't be till 2013, and networks in NA and abroad seem to still be building out.

Am I crazy for thinking this GAF?

NFC still has to catch on, we're gonna see more modular solutions like padfone or web top/razr. Screens still have long time to go before they can be said they are good for outdoors without killing your battery.

Luckily android is pretty much ready for any od those hardware advances.

Soo, since I can renew my contract during the next few months I started to look into current Android phones, is there a lot of stuff you can tell me about the Nexus? I kinda like it from what I've seen, but how is it these days? Still a good phone? Battery holding up longer compared to launch time?

If you're running a stock rom then the battery life is the same. You can get an extended battery the nearly doubles the life and doesn't make it to bulky. As for how the Nexus stands up to the current phones, since the only other current Galaxy option is the S3 (Though if you can get an S2, that's also good). That said the Nexus is still a top / good performer compared to the US version of the S3 (US got the Dual-core version with the Snapdragon S4). Just to compare the Galaxy Nexus has a 1.2 OMAP 4460 Dual-core, not as robust as the Snapdragon S4 but still decent.

Other things to look at is the Nexus has 32GB of storage though some of the older ones were 16/32GB and the Nexus does not have an slot for expanding the memory where the S3/S2 does. Supposedly the 32GB version was discontinued however the one I bought recently had 32GB. The screen is moot at best as the Nexus has a 4.65 and S3 has a 4.8, not really noticeable unless you are really anal about it as both are HD Super AMOLED's. The Camera on the Nexus is a 5MP vs the S3/S2 8MP which again is minimal unless taking pictures with your phone is your life.

The Nexus also supports recording at 1080p at 30 FPS and 720p, also plays in both 1080p and 720p .Stock player sucks it will not play 1080p and you'll need another video player. I recommend MX player.

Both are using the Android 4.0 OS and support 4G LTE (If you're sprint you'll get 4G soon if it hasn't rolled out already).

Those are the main points vs the S3 but in all the question remains is the Nexus worth getting?

Answer: Hell yes. The hardware specs are still, it runs stock Android (no bloatware) and if roms / root is your thing (like me) then there's several roms to play with. It's also cheaper and more available.

Pretty sure I missed something but someone else will chime in and either correct me or add on to what I said.

Vanillalite

NFC still has to catch on, we're gonna see more modular solutions like padfone or web top/razr. Screens still have long time to go before they can be said they are good for outdoors without killing your battery.

None of that is going to really happen this year though other than the NFC stuff maybe. I don't see any big screen advancements hitting this year either.

Both are coming obviously, but I just don't see anything in the immediate pipeline for the likes of Sony, Samsung, HTC etc... that they could do beyond what's out for a JB phone.

Only thing I see is Samsung doing an obvious sequel to the Note, but that's it's own deal.

Goldrush

What are the chances that Amazon will actually improve their Appstore? It's so slow now that I can't even download their Free App of the day.

Strange that they gave out the review units all with 2.3 on-board, lot of reviews marked it down for that amongst other things like having an S3 on-board apparently not an S4.

Huh? The GX hasn't started shipping in Japan yet, let alone to western reviewers! It is set to come to the west in September, but not Europe. Europe will get a different SKU with an improved camera module and no microSD slot a month later, in October. Both ship with ICS out of the box. They will be Sony's final phones released in 2012. I have also heard a rumour that Sony have delayed the European version by a month so they can launch it with Jelly Bean, either as a day zero patch or in the box, however, that is just a rumour.

Dude, check out the Whitemagic screen on the Xperia P. At half brightness my sister's one is fully usable in bright sunshine, and Super AMOLED+ is also very good in bright sunlight, but it kills the battery. Hopefully Samsung have been working on increasing efficiency.

Vanillalite

Dude, check out the Whitemagic screen on the Xperia P. At half brightness my sister's one is fully usable in bright sunshine, and Super AMOLED+ is also very good in bright sunlight, but it kills the battery. Hopefully Samsung have been working on increasing efficiency.

Stuff like Supee Amoled + isn't new. That's already out stuff.

kharma45

Huh? The GX hasn't started shipping in Japan yet, let alone to western reviewers! It is set to come to the west in September, but not Europe. Europe will get a different SKU with an improved camera module and no microSD slot a month later, in October. Both ship with ICS out of the box. They will be Sony's final phones released in 2012. I have also heard a rumour that Sony have delayed the European version by a month so they can launch it with Jelly Bean, either as a day zero patch or in the box, however, that is just a rumour.

Oh ffs lol I was looking at the Ion reviews, dammit.

Husker86

The haters keep hating but the Nexus just keeps Nexusing.

Most of the people who bought the Nexus on GAF either paid full price for the International one at launch or bought the Verizon one at launch. So I guess the strength of the $800 unlocked or $300 + 2 year Verizon contract price at launch really was a factor in putting the One True Best Galaxy at the top of all Galaxies. ;)

Guys, we all love our GNs but this is getting to Victoria Justice vs. Selena Gomez thread weirdness level. Thankfully phones don't have videos where GIFs can be made out of.

If you're running a stock rom then the battery life is the same. You can get an extended battery the nearly doubles the life and doesn't make it to bulky.
The extended battery adds like 13% capacity, it comes no where close to doubling the battery life.

Hahah so Truth^

The whole nexus defense force is so weird and fan boyish. Its like there circlejerking with each other while holding their beloved nexus....its a dayam phone..

rozay

Banned
Guys, we all love our GNs but this is getting to Victoria Justice vs. Selena Gomez thread weirdness level. Thankfully phones don't have videos where GIFs can be made out of.

The extended battery adds like 13% capacity, it comes no where close to doubling the battery life.
there's a very good chance andrex and unknown soldier use their phones to touch themselves, but everyone else seems to just enjoy their phones
Hahah so Truth^

The whole nexus defense force is so weird and fan boyish. Its like there circlejerking with each other while holding their beloved nexus....its a dayam phone..

you're basically the exact opposite of unknown soldier in terms of device trumpeting :p

T-Mobile in the UK are doing the Galaxy Note free on a £15.50 contract (24months, 50mins, 250txts, 750mb data)

I have a Galaxy Nexus and was about to jump into a £10 sim only deal with Three, but this has sort of thrown a spanner in the works. Tempted by the Note, and even if I don't like it I could sell it and fall back on the Nexus (or vice-versa).

How is the Note with ICS? And are there any extended batteries available? Preferably something that is the same size as stock.

there's a very good chance andrex and unknown soldier use their phones to touch themselves, but everyone else seems to just enjoy their phones

you're basically the exact opposite of unknown soldier in terms of device trumpeting :p

Hahah I try to bring balance to the force.

Plus when I give recommendation I try not to be bias.

I would hate to go through life as a hipster who think it's cool to hate everything. I feel my approach is the superior one quite frankly.

Hahah I don't hate everything...if I like something I say it, if I hate something I don't sugar coat it to justify my purchase. I try to be none bias. You basically hate everything non nexus.
You should actually try other phones before declaring something as "best" or "superior"

Hahah I don't hate everything...if I like something I say it, if I hate something I don't sugar coat it to justify my purchase. I try to be none bias. You basically hate everything non nexus.
You should actually try other phones before declaring something as "best" or "superior"

So you've never actually read my posts, don't have a sense of humor, and don't understand how the Internet works? Good to know.

Feel free to use the Search function or Google to mine GAF's post database and find any post where I said the Nexus was objectively best or superior to any other phone. Go ahead, I'll wait.

So in other words you ain't got shit. No surprise there.

Um seriously? you want me to look at all your post? C'mon son...I have better things to do.
I can say the same thing and ask you to look at all my post, and check if I hate on everything. But I'm not going to do that...

hahahah do every morning somebody crap in your cereal or something?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can we all just come together and agree that... iPhone users are hipster wannabes and Windows Phone users are in an abusive relationship? :)

jokkir

I keep getting a purchase error when downloading an app on the Play Store. Anyone know how to fix this/what's up?

EDIT - Happens on free apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom