• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ep85

If you do a full 360 and still don't see Santa, your inner child is dead.

Aw crap.

On topic though. I want a Nexus Tab but I already own a Transformer, you think getting the Nexus would be superfluous. I wish it wasn't priced at $199. If it was more expensive I would be more hesitant to buy it.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there a way in Android/Google Music (Google Play?) to have access to more than 20,000 songs?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Does anyone else with ICS use Google Voice? On GB there was a GV control widget I had where I could quickly tap to put my phone in Do Not Disturb mode. I don't see that option with ICS; I can add a 1x1 widget that toggles how GV is used to make calls, or I can use a 4x2 widget to display my inbox. It also has the dialer toggle on it, but no way to enable DND.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Does anyone else with ICS use Google Voice? On GB there was a GV control widget I had where I could quickly tap to put my phone in Do Not Disturb mode. I don't see that option with ICS; I can add a 1x1 widget that toggles how GV is used to make calls, or I can use a 4x2 widget to display my inbox. It also has the dialer toggle on it, but no way to enable DND.
Yes and I don't have DND either.

jayb

I just want to reiterate how awesome it is to have AOKP on my Note. The Note has also now been officially added to the AOKP supported devices list and updates will come straight from them.

same for the t-mobile gs2. there are a few minor bugs, but I love it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Am I crazy Android-GAF if I think I like the One X more than the Galaxy S3? Finally saw an American S3 in person and I think I like the One X better in both phone design and the screen. :/

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I'm not to start a flame war between Apple and Android users here.

I've had a 3rd gen iPads for about 2 weeks and a macbook pro retina for a week.

I've been using Android phones for 2+ years and 2 different android tablets for a month all in the name of finding the perfect combination of tools to lead a productive life.

I have apps on the iPad and android tablet that are suppose to be the same but the iOS versions work better for some reason. Like the Xfinity app. On iPad, I can see how much space is on my dvr, what I've recorded already, and upcoming recordings. The android version doesn't do any of that. The DVR Manager tab takes you to a website -_-

Then it's all the official live ESPN/Disney streaming apps that are on iPad and nothing for Android.

Are major companies really attempting to get behind Android?

The ones that do are all screwy. Like Flipboard won't let me download the app from the play store on the tf300 but I can with the Iconia 200.

Isn't the display resolution the only real difference?
that and the screen. $150 extra for a glass screen over whatever this screen is made out of.

Are major companies really attempting to get behind Android?

And you just hit the nail on the head. The majority of issues is the lack of major companies putting either an effort to support Android or when they do they offer half-assed applications that aren't up to par with the iOS version of the application.

Sure I know the main issue is piracy, yada yada...... Google needs to address the fact that it's so easy to pirate apps on Android. They solve that issue and I promise that Android will see more support.

Vyer

Am I crazy Android-GAF if I think I like the One X more than the Galaxy S3? Finally saw an American S3 in person and I think I like the One X better in both phone design and the screen. :/

I thought it was accepted that both those things are better on the One X? GS3 is supposed to have other advantages.

And you just hit the nail on the head. The majority of issues is the lack of major companies putting either an effort to support Android or when they do they offer half-assed applications that aren't up to par with the iOS version of the application.

Sure I know the main issue is piracy, yada yada...... Google needs to address the fact that it's so easy to pirate apps on Android. They solve that issue and I promise that Android will see more support.

so basically, Google has to disable sideloading, ADB and not release source code?

anything else they do will be ineffective if they keep those 3 around so they would have to...

so basically, Google has to disable sideloading, ADB and not release source code?

anything else they do will be ineffective if they keep those 3 around so they would have to...

Basically. Google needs to take a page from RIM. However if they disable sideloading that would also cause issues for the Amazon Appstore among other things. Actually extremetech.com had an article related to that arguement.

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...is-a-cesspool-but-what-if-google-agreed?print

Ugh. I just realized after upgrading to ICS, the pictures attached to my contacts list are super small. Any way to enlarge these?

I like being able to glance quickly at my phone to see who's calling without my glasses. <_<

Blackhead

Redarse

haha what?

yo ugh

I got the tf300 and it looks and acts no different from the one I have sans the glass screen. Like I got this last month when it was released and it's already outdated!

If I'm not mistaken the 300 is just a gimped version of the transformer prime (tf201) so your tablet was out of date even before it released

Vanillalite

Conflicted. I'm on AT&T and I'm OOC in like 2 weeks. I can't decide WTF I want to do.

Do I want to try and get a white GS3? Do I try and get the white One X off of Amazon instead since it's like $120 aka $80 cheaper?

Do I say funk it and wait for the fall and maybe a Nexus device knowing so far AT&T hasn't really gotten a Nexus device yet (unless I pay the full price for a GSM model from Google direct if available). Do I bank on something else from Samsung or HTC around the Holidays? Plus there will be more competition from WP8 and the new iPhone both of which I could also look into even tho I don't love the new WP8 home screen and never have really been an iOS guy UI wise.

Decisions Decisions....

kehs

Banned
Conflicted. I'm on AT&T and I'm OOC in like 2 weeks. I can't decide WTF I want to do.

Do I want to try and get a white GS3? Do I try and get the white One X off of Amazon instead since it's like $120 aka $80 cheaper?

Do I say funk it and wait for the fall and maybe a Nexus device knowing so far AT&T hasn't really gotten a Nexus device yet (unless I pay the full price for a GSM model from Google direct if available). Do I bank on something else from Samsung or HTC around the Holidays? Plus there will be more competition from WP8 and the new iPhone both of which I could also look into even tho I don't love the new WP8 home screen and never have really been an iOS guy UI wise.

Decisions Decisions....

There's rumors floating around that padfone is going to ATT soon, so there's that coming soon.

(just be warned there's padfone two down the pipeline too for 4th quarter, asus you so crazy!)

Get a nexus, and save your upgrade until something comes up, then just sell the nexus and recoup some of cash.

Vanillalite

There's rumors floating around that padfone is going to ATT soon, so there's that coming soon.

(just be warned there's padfone two down the pipeline too for 4th quarter, asus you so crazy!)

Get a nexus, and save your upgrade until something comes up, then just sell the nexus and recoup some of cash.

The nexus is expensive as fuck though for a GSM version even if I get a used one.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
If I'm not mistaken the 300 is just a gimped version of the transformer prime (tf201) so your tablet was out of date even before it released

that burns the soul

but my wifi doesn't cut out :D

Yes, piracy is the reason that free corporate apps are low quality. Makes total sense.

I don't know man...I was using the Verizon NFL app to stream NFL network on my Sprint phone :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Decisions Decisions....

Get an unlocked GN from Google Play. It's super cheap for an unlocked phone and you can dictate to ATT your terms and likely save a lot of money in the long run.

Vanillalite

Get an unlocked GN from Google Play. It's super cheap for an unlocked phone and you can dictate to ATT your terms and likely save a lot of money in the long run.

I live in an area where I can get LTE from AT&T though so I'd get fucked on that going this route.

What? It's one of the cheapest unlocked pentaband phones out here.

I meant more in terms of getting a used one. There are a bunch of cheap used ones but they are all from other carriers. Since the only way to get the AT&T compatible one is through Google themselves going used wouldn't really be an option because there aren't a ton of the phones out there in the wild since you can't buy one from AT&T.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Plus if you get an unlocked phone, you can sell it later this year no problem when the next Nexus hits. It's a win all around. Get a Galaxy Nexus. :)

kehs

Banned
I meant more in terms of getting a used one. There are a bunch of cheap used ones but they are all from other carriers. Since the only way to get the AT&T compatible one is through Google themselves going used wouldn't really be an option because there aren't a ton of the phones out there in the wild since you can't buy one from AT&T.

Not sure if we're talking about the same phone, all gsm galaxy nexus are the same and are compatible with att/tmo.

rozay

Banned
I live in an area where I can get LTE from AT&T though so I'd get fucked on that going this route.

as long as it isn't the verizon version, any galaxy nexus will work on AT&T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom