• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I'm curious how often people run into a situation where you have to scroll your notification window because you have too many notices. I'd almost rather it throw up a scrollbar if they go beyond a page and then have 1 finger up and down for extending notifications. Not the most elegant solution, but I'd take it to have the ability to extend without using two hands or changing my grip on the phone with one hand. All about that one-hand, single-finger functionality without shifting grip.

But, if more than a page is common then I really can't complain I guess. Maybe I just don't have that many apps that throw notices up.

Toppot

Newbie to the android scene (Owner of a Galaxy S2)

Is there an easy way to play old mobile games on Android? More specifically I want to play Ratchet and Clank Going Mobile and God of War Betrayal on my phone if possible. Getting hold of the games isn't a problem but how to play them on my device I don't know, couldn't see any app.

Thanks =]

GatorBait

I'm curious how often people run into a situation where you have to scroll your notification window because you have too many notices. I'd almost rather it throw up a scrollbar if they go beyond a page and then have 1 finger up and down for extending notifications. Not the most elegant solution, but I'd take it to have the ability to extend without using two hands or changing my grip on the phone with one hand. All about that one-hand, single-finger functionality without shifting grip.

But, if more than a page is common then I really can't complain I guess. Maybe I just don't have that many apps that throw notices up.

I guess the other thought could be, if you are in a situation where you are unable to use your other hand, it may be easier to just open the app via the notification and then attend to things within the app.

It seems increasingly common that smartphones are moving toward more frequent two-hand use. (Personally, I'm a one-hand user, but I've come to accept this.)

MarkusRJR

What's the best small android phones? Everything with decent specs are huge. I'm looking for something that's iPhone size, and the only notable phones would be the HTC One V. What else is there that's good?

TTOOLL

Why is that funny? It's $600 but without a contract. So that's a very fair price.

Because it's just an abusive way to make more money. I mean, this edition is unnecessary. I try not to support this kind of practices, but that's just me. In a good world people would just ignore it.

gutshot

Newbie to the android scene (Owner of a Galaxy S2)

Is there an easy way to play old mobile games on Android? More specifically I want to play Ratchet and Clank Going Mobile and God of War Betrayal on my phone if possible. Getting hold of the games isn't a problem but how to play them on my device I don't know, couldn't see any app.

Thanks =]

Those games are programmed to run on BREW so you would need to track down some type of BREW emulator for Andriod. Not sure if something like that exists though.

What's the best small android phones? Everything with decent specs are huge. I'm looking for something that's iPhone size, and the only notable phones would be the HTC One V. What else is there that's good?

I would check out the Droid Incredible 4G LTE. It just came out for Verizon and is a similar size as the iPhone 4S. 4' screen, runs Sense 4 on top of Ice Cream Sandwich.

Xyphie

Xperia Sola or Xperia U maybe? Only <=3.7" phones with dual core SoC that I know off. 2.3 though, but 4.0+ is coming.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hey does anyone know a good site to get 720p wallpaper already in the correct aspect ratio without having to use widescreen wallpaper and crop?

Xperia Sola or Xperia U maybe? Only <=3.7" phones with dual core SoC that I know off. 2.3 though, but 4.0+ is coming.

Yeah all I could think of as well.

HTC has some smaller offerings, but the phones are entry level specs compared to their larger counter parts in the One S and One X.

Pctx

Banned
Anyone know if/when we'll get updated ICS numbers now that the Note,Skyrocket and the SGII all have ICS now on AT&T?

I'm curious if that is going to take a dent out of the Gingerbread pie.

Toppot

Thanks for the link. Unfourtunatly didn't work for me. I have 4.0 and it just crashed and locked up my phone over and over again with no way to load the jars. But thanks anyway =]

Those games are programmed to run on BREW so you would need to track down some type of BREW emulator for Andriod. Not sure if something like that exists though.
Nope such a thing doesn't exist. Oh well.

kehs

Banned
Hey does anyone know a good site to get 720p wallpaper already in the correct aspect ratio without having to use widescreen wallpaper and crop?

Images need to be 1440 x 1280. The trick to not cropping them is to open them up in the broswer, long press > set as wallpaper.

Android Quirk #343.

Vanillalite

Images need to be 1440 x 1280. The trick to not cropping them is to open them up in the broswer, long press > set as wallpaper.

Android Quirk #343.

WTF?!?!? How does that work since it's not native res? Wouldn't the aspect ratio be messed up too? Also wouldn't that be landscape and not portrait?

kehs

Banned
WTF?!?!? How does that work since it's not native res? Wouldn't the aspect ratio be messed up too? Also wouldn't that be landscape and not portrait?

Wallpapers scroll (Unless this is different in sense?). So it combines the landscape/portrait resolutions. So they only show part of the wallpaper depending on which screen your on. Although there are wallpaper apps that allow a fixed wallpaper. Which might be what you're asking for in the first place.

Vanillalite

Wallpapers scroll (Unless this is different in sense?). So it combines the landscape/portrait resolutions. So they only show part of the wallpaper depending on which screen your on. Although there are wallpaper apps that allow a fixed wallpaper. Which might be what you're asking for in the first place.

That makes sense. Thanks!

Pachimari

I don't understand the Contacts app on Android (I'm running Jelly Bean 4.1) on my Galaxy Nexus. It has contacts who I have mailed and have added on Skype (I have since removed the connection to social medias) but how do I remove contacts from my Contacts?

Zeppu

I don't understand the Contacts app on Android (I'm running Jelly Bean 4.1) on my Galaxy Nexus. It has contacts who I have mailed and have added on Skype (I have since removed the connection to social medias) but how do I remove contacts from my Contacts?

https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/u/0/#contacts

Pressing the menu button and selecting 'Contacts to display' allows you to select what you want visible in your list. Select customize to fine tune every account.

There was once a 'Show contacts with numbers only' but I can't seem to find it anymore.

JoeFu

Banned
Anybody know if 4.1.1 fixes the image quality of contacts? Really hate how it reverts to a low res photo after a while.

Doopliss

I don't know where or when it might be available, but the Meizu MX 4-core has similar specs to the GS3 but with a 4 inch screen.

SimleuqiR

Anybody know if 4.1.1 fixes the image quality of contacts? Really hate how it reverts to a low res photo after a while.

That's on the Gmail side of things, unfortunately.

I think Mr. Duarte needs to visit that department to see why they have not up'ed the resolution on those images.

First I wanted to say yes, but then I remembered that preview I read.

So Google sync now correctly syncs hi-res photos between Jelly Bean devices, the changes are not permanent, and the whole thing is a terrible mess. Eventually, hi-resolution photos end up clobbered with low-res garbage. There was a lot of commotion around the quality bump in Jelly Bean, but it seems like Google still hasn't fixed the fundamental issue, and the self-destructive behavior continues. It's possible that once every device moves to Jelly Bean, this will stop happening, but I believe it will take a lot more effort on Google's part to make sure that doesn't happen first.

I have a few ideas on what goes wrong behind the scenes, but the exact technical reason really doesn't matter - Google contact photo sync is still a clusterf$%^#, even with Jelly Bean. It's a shame, really.

Pachimari

https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/u/0/#contacts

Pressing the menu button and selecting 'Contacts to display' allows you to select what you want visible in your list. Select customize to fine tune every account.

There was once a 'Show contacts with numbers only' but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Thank you.

I actually just found out how to do it locally on the phone, and it seems like I only have 1 contact in my Contact Manager through that link. :)

EDIT:
Actually, I think I might add them to that Google link you gave me, it seems to be better, so I can just sync my contacts instead of having to manually add them again another time.

Zeppu

Thank you.

I actually just found out how to do it locally on the phone, and it seems like I only have 1 contact in my Contact Manager through that link. :)

EDIT:
Actually, I think I might add them to that Google link you gave me, it seems to be better, so I can just sync my contacts instead of having to manually add them again another time.

I have all my contacts on Gmail. Nothing on the phone or sim. Much better overall since you don't ever need to backup contacts.

In "Other contacts" within Gmail you'll see other random contacts which may be showing up on the phone. You can either remove them from there or go to Customize and select only "My Contacts"

thespot84

has anyone else stumbled across 'safe mode' yet? In JB I got the 'power off' dialogue by holding the power button and then i long pressed 'power off' and got an option for safe mode...who knew?

Pachimari

I have all my contacts on Gmail. Nothing on the phone or sim. Much better overall since you don't ever need to backup contacts.

In "Other contacts" within Gmail you'll see other random contacts which may be showing up on the phone. You can either remove them from there or go to Customize and select only "My Contacts"

I have now added some contacts in the link you were kind to share with me, and I have selected 'My Contacts' on the phone but I can't see the pictures I have added?

Ferrio

Banned
So are there any decent games on the android store? Nothing but crap, and google play is a bitch to browse.

Really wish there were some good board games like IOS.

JoeFu

Banned
So my mom's watching some kids and they used my tablet to play some games...

gotta love in app purchases..........

granted it was only 4 bucks, still kinda mad, oh well.

Just learned about the enter pin to confirm purchase feature!

So are there any decent games on the android store? Nothing but crap, and google play is a bitch to browse.

Really wish there were some good board games like IOS.

I think the only good thing I saw was Minecraft and the Kairosoft games. Not that I even want to play games on my phone, but I've checked the store and had the same conclusion as you.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I pretty much despise mobile games, but I've found these to be pretty enjoyable I guess:

Jelly Defense
Kairosoft games
Triple Town
Spirit HD
Canabalt
Sleepy Jack
Everlands
Coin Drop!

That's basically it.

thespot84

I pretty much despise mobile games, but I've found these to be pretty enjoyable I guess:

Jelly Defense
Kairosoft games
Triple Town
Spirit HD
Canabalt
Sleepy Jack
Everlands
Coin Drop!

That's basically it.

All of my mobile gaming has devolved into doing crosswords.

On that note, Shortyz is an awesome crossword app.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
BestBuy and Android Central is running a 25% off promotion. I don't know when it ends but with the code ACSAVE25 and the already "Too Low To Display" price for the Galaxy Nexus (Sprint) it's only $112. The code works for all the phones for some reason but it was originally for the SG3.

I almost tempted to jump to a new phone..but I won't have 4G :\

Vanillalite

Going to try out the built in Mail App now. The GMail app while working fucking blows without pinch to zoom. WTF is Google waiting for.

kehs

Banned
Oh wait, I thought we were talking about the build-in GMail vs the standard e-mail app. Pinch-to-zoom doesn't work in gmail, but in the standard mail app.

We are. I wasn't sure if I was confusing you with bret regarding the devices. I think the default sense email can do pinch to zoom.

That said, there's no pinch to zoom in the default e-mail app. It doesn't for me at least. -_-

e: Omg you're right, there is, wtf.

We are. I wasn't sure if I was confusing you with bret regarding the devices. I think the default sense email can do pinch to zoom.

That said, there's no pinch to zoom in the default e-mail app. It doesn't for me at least. -_-

On my Nexus I can pinch to zoom in the standard e-mail app all I want.

Ashhong

First I wanted to say yes, but then I remembered that preview I read.

I just don't fucking understand what is so hard about hi-res contact pictures. Will this problem go away if we stop syncing our contacts with Gmail? I have no reason to really sync it since I don't go on Gmail to edit my contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom