• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Anyone tried CM9 RC2 yet? I think I'm going to flash to CM9 once the stable is released.

Huh, does CM9 go to RC builds for all phones at the same time? I figured it depends on the stability of that specific phone and such.

I have RC2 on my GS2 and its rock solid so far. I hadn't upgraded in about a month so it's nice to see a bunch of little bug fixes too. Hoping the battery life is better.

jayb

there is speculation, but the stock mail app supports it, so i dont know why gmail would be special

I tried the stock ICS mail app last week and it would only let me zoom in, but wouldn't let me zoom all the way out to see an overview of the entire email on one screen. It would only let me zoom out as far as the stock gmail app defaults too.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Same thing I bitched about last week. I'm using the stock HTC mail app cause the gmail app is utterly unusable without pitch to zoom.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I just bought my Note a few weeks ago so this sucks to hear. BUT I'm perfectly happy with my Note. Plus AOKP took awhile to get going on the Note and there's no way I'd enjoy my phone without AOKP. So I'm only sad I couldn't wait for the Note 2 since Note 1 prices would have been lower.

Other than a smaller physical size but same size screen, I can't think of much else to improve on the phone. It's great. NFC, too, I guess but now that I'm living in Europe, these Euro punks have no idea what NFC even is. Cash economy in Germany, mostly. They live in the past.

malyce

I just bought my Note a few weeks ago so this sucks to hear. BUT I'm perfectly happy with my Note. Plus AOKP took awhile to get going on the Note and there's no way I'd enjoy my phone without AOKP. So I'm only sad I couldn't wait for the Note 2 since Note 1 prices would have been lower.

Other than a smaller physical size but same size screen, I can't think of much else to improve on the phone. It's great. NFC, too, I guess but now that I'm living in Europe, these Euro punks have no idea what NFC even is. Cash economy in Germany, mostly. They live in the past.

LDOkx.png

Blackhead

Redarse
more noteworthy Note II info: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...of-the-Galaxy-S-III-clocked-at-1.6GHz_id32491

http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?benchmark=glpro21&D=Samsung+GT-N7100&testgroup=system
As for screen resolution, 1280x720 pixels is shown, and Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich is running the show on the alleged Note II for now. If we see an HD Super AMOLED Plus screen in the Note II with a regular RGB matrix, it will be a more welcome improvement than moving from a 4 to a 5-Series Exynos processor with the same die size, since the current quad-core has plenty of oomph for anything you throw at it anyway. August 30 is a few weeks away, so more info might leak in the meantime.
Hmm.... the currently available Note is 1280x800 pixels on all the various models (Korean, International, North America)

tino

Banned
I remember reading news that HTC want to create something like the Note. Samsung is probably holding back on the Note 2 until HTC release their giant phone. The LG Vu is obviously a fail.

Something is really wrong with my phone. I got a phone call this morning and couldn't answer it because touching or flicking the phone icon did nothing. Now I have tried to unlock it (default flick to right screen) and the touchscreen isn't working at all. I can long press the power button to get the turn off/airplane mode options but can't select them. I can't even fucking turn it off.

Verizon Galaxy Nexus
Android 4.0.4
Nova Launcher
Battery ~60% now

Husker86

Something is really wrong with my phone. I got a phone call this morning and couldn't answer it because touching or flicking the phone icon did nothing. Now I have tried to unlock it (default flick to right screen) and the touchscreen isn't working at all. I can long press the power button to get the turn off/airplane mode options but can't select them. I can't even fucking turn it off.

Verizon Galaxy Nexus
Android 4.0.4
Nova Launcher
Battery ~60% now

Pull the battery?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Why DOES Samsung sell the most smartphones of any company? The argument typically goes "consumers don't care abut updates, they don't care about specs". So what DO they care about? And why Samsung?

They don't sell the best looking phones, their phones are all plastic, and their Android skin sucks. Yet they dominate. I know why geeks like us buy them, they generally are pushing the latest tech/features, but what about the average person buying a phone?

I own a Samsung now, my previous phone was a Samsung as well, so I'm not hating on them, just genuinely curious why you guys think a regular consumer would buy a GS3 over a OneX.

kehs

Banned
Why DOES Samsung sell the most smartphones of any company? The argument typically goes "consumers don't care abut updates, they don't care about specs". So what DO they care about? And why Samsung?

They don't sell the best looking phones, their phones are all plastic, and their Android skin sucks. Yet they dominate. I know why geeks like us buy them, they generally are pushing the latest tech/features, but what about the average person buying a phone?

I own a Samsung now, my previous phone was a Samsung as well, so I'm not hating on them, just genuinely curious why you guys think a regular consumer would buy a GS3 over a OneX.

Samsung phones, even though they are plasticky to shit, feel light and are durable. Nexus S is coming up on two years in december and that thing is still solid and gets dropped all the time. People remember that stuff.

Every samsung device I've held is really light, at first it seems "cheap" but on day to day the lightness is better. I can still recall how heavy the Nexus One felt in my pocket. It felt "solid" but it was a pain sometimes in my pocket.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
They're generally very well thought-out (design, specs, right compromises) products. Really, no one has been able to compete since HTC lost their grip on making the best Android phones a bit after the Nexus One and EVO. They're turning it around now with the One series at least. Samsung really had good timing with the Galaxy S and S2, though.

Cipherr

They're generally very well thought-out (design, specs, right compromises) products. Really, no one has been able to compete since HTC lost their grip on making the best Android phones a bit after the Nexus One and EVO. They're turning it around now with the One series at least. Samsung really had good timing with the Galaxy S and S2, though.

Indeed, right as HTC just decided to 'coast' and half ass everything for a full 14 to 16 months or so..... Jesus HTC, really sucks for them.

gcubed

up until the One X vs the GS3, looking at the phone the Samsung phone always looked better in use. AMOLED was very eye catching. The latest LCD's remove this, but HTC just basically stopped trying after the Nexus One/Desire line of phones and shat it up.

Doopliss

Because they have a recognisable brand which they use across their high- and low-end phones (the former of those being considered the 'best' Android phones). Before they had that they presented their phones similarly to the iPhone.

Firefox 15 Beta has been released with tablet support. It draws pages faster than the stock browser on my HP Touchpad and syncs with my desktop Firefox tabs. I have to say, it sure took them long enough to whip Firefox Mobile into shape. They didn't even really start caring until Chrome for Android came along.

kehs

Banned
Jellybean update on the Nexus S is pretty good. Still some random stutter here and there, but I get that a couple of times on my GN as well. Everything seems to be in tact. I wasn't expecting the camera to have that quick of a save, but it's pretty close to the GN.

I showed my pops the ability to discard pictures by throwing them away, and it got a huge smile. I also noticed that he mimicked the throwaway gesture on the homescreens rather quickly without me saying anything.

Butter is doing a fine job of breathing life into old things. I'm very impressed, and it's easing my hesitance on using it full time. Shame about the hardware buttons though, but LMT should ease that for me a little bit.

FireCloud

After spending alot of time with my S3 .. I think I love Touchwiz.

what's wrong with me : (

Nothing. I'm kind of surprised that I'm liking it as well. Wish it had ICS folders but I can live without them. It sure is worlds better than the Blur I had on my Droid X.

I haven't noticed any stability issues with the S3's Touchwiz either. I blame a lot of the problems I had with the Droid X early on with Blur. Things got much better when I replaced it with Launcher Pro.

Threi

notag
After spending alot of time with my S3 .. I think I love Touchwiz.

what's wrong with me : (

Absolutely nothing. Having used both Touchwiz and Vanilla Android on both GB and ICS, it adds a lot of usability improvements to vanilla android.

It is definitely uglier though.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I hated Touchwiz 2 years ago. It's not as gimmicky as it was then.

I loved Sense because it did a lot more work as far as linking contacts with fb, twitter, g+, ect. Stuff that was implemented in Android by Google for ICS. TW does it now and the big thing, for me anyway, is the app drawer. With Sense you have to swipe or scroll down to get to an app. If I wanted to get to Yahoo, I'd have to start at the A and keep moving the drawer until I fount it. TW has 3 different app drawers layouts including an alphabetical scroll off to the side so you can tap on a letter and those apps starting with that letter show up.

ScOULaris

Updated my AT&T Nexus S (i9020a) to Jelly Bean today using this method:

- Turn on Airplane Mode
- Enable wi-fi
- Restart phone
- Open up Manage Apps, go to the "All" tab, then click on Google Framework Services
- Clear Data
- Force Close
- About phone > Check for updates.

Voila! The OTA got through and I was using my brand new Android 4.1.1 in minutes.

Impressions for Jelly Bean on the Nexus S:

- Transition and window animations are noticeably smoother, thanks to the Butter improvements.
- Google Now seems to be the default search application now, and it launches by either tapping the Search key or holding down the Menu key.
- The Phone app opens a little bit faster, but it's still far from instantaneous.
- Holding the home key down to launch the recent applications list is MUCH improved. It opens up the list almost instantly now, which is great.
- The stock browser runs noticeably smoother and has a nice little animation when you open up Quick Controls.
- Voice-to-text recognition seems to have been improved, as it now makes hardly any mistakes at all. Voice typing also now works without a data connection, which makes for faster voice-to-text typing overall.

All-in-all, this is a subtle but stellar update, and the expediency with which even us lowly AT&T Nexus S owners got the update this time (as opposed to ICS) has somewhat restored my faith in Google when it comes to updating their Nexus line.

Cipherr

S looks like its ok with JB. It really does make me wonder about going forward though. ICS was a pretty big leap, depending on the size of the next leap in January and how hardware dependent it is, I have to wonder how much they will have to strip to get it running on the S.

Perhaps the next major OS update to 5.0 wont be as big as the humongous 2.3 to 4.0 and maybe itll work, but man, seems like its gonna be close. Ill definitely be buying a new Nexus or an S4 HTC-TwoX around this time next year.

S looks like its ok with JB. It really does make me wonder about going forward though. ICS was a pretty big leap, depending on the size of the next leap in January and how hardware dependent it is, I have to wonder how much they will have to strip to get it running on the S.

Perhaps the next major OS update to 5.0 wont be as big as the humongous 2.3 to 4.0 and maybe itll work, but man, seems like its gonna be close. Ill definitely be buying a new Nexus or an S4 HTC-TwoX around this time next year.

The reason why the Nexus One didn't get ICS was memory restrictions (ie not enough internal memory), not so much processing power. That's why the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus are ok right now. What is becoming more apparent though is that if you want to really see the benefit of the extra smoothness, then the beefier the GPU the better the result. My Galaxy Nexus (which doesn't have a great GPU) is smooth as butter though very occasionally it'll stutter on the widgets drawer and some of the Google Now animations. The Nexus 7 is smooth all the way.

BTW The next leap in project butter has to be about improving Androids handling of complex list views. The G+ app definitely looks pretty but isn't as smooth as it should be. The grunt in the Tegra 3 makes little difference from the Galaxy Nexus.

Laekon

I'm really close to switching from iOS to Android and one of the last questions I have is how well does it work with Exchange? I attend trade shows in multiple countries and need my phone to be able to easily sync with my outlook calendar and contacts when ever I get wifi access. The Apple site has information on this but I can't find much of anything on the Android site.

Binabik15

This is the catch all android thread, right?

Can someone give me a list of 9" or bigger tablets coming out this year? I want a tablet as an ebook reader for my anatomy books (so lots of detailed pics with text), so it needs a good screen and battery life. The tablets out right now with high res seem to have power problems or connectivity problems (lulz, Ipad3, lulz, not really wanting to deal with itunes and shit).

Can someone give me a list of 9" or bigger tablets coming out this year? I want a tablet as an ebook reader for my anatomy books (so lots of detailed pics with text), so it needs a good screen and battery life. The tablets out right now with high res seem to have power problems or connectivity problems (lulz, Ipad3, lulz, not really wanting to deal with itunes and shit).

what's wrong with the Transformer Pad 300 and 700? they don't have the signal issues of the Prime... Galaxy Note 10.1, whenever that drops...

Al-ibn Kermit

Are you looking for a high res screen (greater than 1280X800)? The Transformer Infinity has a 1920X1200 resolution but it also gets slightly worse battery life than it's lower resolution brothers. I think Acer and probably Samsung are going to come out with some high res screens later this year, doubt it'll be before Fall though.

Actually the Transformer Infinity theoretically has like 15 hour battery life if you combine it with the keyboard dock.

JordanKZ

I think the most amazing thing about the Nexus S isn't the fact that it's gone all the way from Gingerbread to Jelly Bean... but that's it still preforms so well with a single core hummingbird processor. Yet again, Samsung showing that they can really make an amazing phone processor. Makes me wish my Galaxy Nexus had an Exynos rather than the OMAP that it has!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

You don't have to deal with iTunes if you want an iPad 3.

Binabik15

You don't have to deal with iTunes if you want an iPad 3.

I don't? How so? My dad has an Ipad (but I never had it in my hands so far) and he complaisn to no end about having to use Apple software to transfer stuff over to it.

If there's a way around that, please tell me how. Even if I get something else, he'd appreciate it.

what's wrong with the Transformer Pad 300 and 700? they don't have the signal issues of the Prime... Galaxy Note 10.1, whenever that drops...

At least for the 300 I hve read test that criticised it for having low brightness and bad viewing angles.

I have no hands on experience with ANY tablet so far, taking the long trip to a Media Markt or something comparable where you can actually play around with the electronics is just not something I can do right now. Next week is a brutal onslaught of exams.

Bboy AJ

I don't? How so? My dad has an Ipad (but I never had it in my hands so far) and he complaisn to no end about having to use Apple software to transfer stuff over to it.

If there's a way around that, please tell me how. Even if I get something else, he'd appreciate it.

What's he transferring? All he needs to do is use iTunes Match and he's basically good to go for all media. iCloud should do everything he needs. I don't sync my iPad with iTunes much, if at all. I could live without iTunes easily.

Read this: http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

I strongly suggest picking up an iPad over an Android tablet if cost isn't a huge deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom