• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The white background is the most jarring... but i've resigned to stop complaining about sense since its just expected of me now. I won't become what people expect! I'm not copernicus!

Doesn't bother me as much, but then again I'm running a white/grey wallpaper. I can see how stock people would think it looks out of the norm though for sure.

kehs

Banned
CM team really lost me with that new logo. Can't try a rom with a logo so horrible. You wonder if they have any taste in design at all.

They don't.

People getting mad at CM for not support S1? Really?

The internal storage is the least of the problems. The bigger problems is not having the available libraries/drivers/etc. All the JB/ICS roms for the N1 are hacked to hell and back. CM actually tests their roms for compliance the same way OEMs have to. They've already been threatened urged to not break compatibility or Google will just bar them outright from Play Store access.

This is pretty great news. Multi User functionality is pretty needed for tablets. Not so much for phones. KLP is going to be very nice.

It could come in really handy for people who like to keep only one phone but have to use it for business and personal. Combine it with admin capabilities restricted to a single user and they have a great solution for enterprise provisioning.

crumbs

The latest gmail app update appears to have broken my gmail syncing. I still receive my push email, but when I read or delete an email on my phone, it doesn't sync back with the gmail server as it normally does.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I tried deleting the gmail app and re-installing it, but that didn't work. I'm using a Verizon Galaxy Nexus (AOKP M5).

Update: I got it working again by uninstalling the gmail app, booting in recovery and clearing the cache, rebooting, and installing the gmail app. To be clear, a normal reboot didn't clear the issue.

kehs

Banned
So I guess Google TV(even the new ones co-star) is still on 3.X.

Could bode well for Revue and older devices though.

iavi

Finally used Google wallet on my VZW Galaxy Tuna for breakfast today at McDonalds. I had flashes of the future once the little jingle chimed and the receipt popped up on the screen. I'm never going to get enough of that.

Fox318

Finally used Google wallet on my VZW Galaxy Tuna for breakfast today at McDonalds. I had flashes of the future once the little jingle chimed and the receipt popped up on the screen. I'm never going to get enough of that.

Too bad Wallet is almost useless unless you have 1 bank or 1 card.

Talon

Too bad Wallet is almost useless unless you have 1 bank or 1 card.
Google added support for other banks and cards...in a strange way.

Basically, you buy through a virtual Mastercard account every time with your debit/credit card.

American Express ain't too happy about this.

methane47

Gaf!

I rooted and flashed my Galaxy tab 10.1 to Official 4.04

Now how can i make it pretty?
Any advice on things I can add to my tab to make it look slick and neat?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Gaf!

I rooted and flashed my Galaxy tab 10.1 to Official 4.04

Now how can i make it pretty?
Any advice on things I can add to my tab to make it look slick and neat?

Look up UCCW ultimate custom clock widget and it's various skins on the internet. It's pretty amazing.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
so did anyone explain why in the jelly bean easter egg there's a floating candy cane in the background that randomly shows up once every 10 minutes?

I put CM10 on my old evo. sogooooood

It's in the dialer now. Bring up the dialer, swipe to the third tab and it will list your frequent contacts and then all contacts with a phone number.

Nope, just shows my four favorites, i can't find the list of most dialed anywhere.

Also my wifi, Bluetooth, power widget added some button i don't understand.....you go between times every time you touch it but i don't get what the times are affecting

Question about AT&T, since i bet most of you know way more about the system than I:

Can i use my mother's way overdue upgrade and get an GS3, that would then be transferred over to my number, while she gets my GS2? Is that common, and do they purposely prevent things like that?

I assume the hold up would be me having a contract from last october for the GS2, but maybe not, who knows.

kehs

Banned
Question about AT&T, since i bet most of you know way more about the system than I:

Can i use my mother's way overdue upgrade and get an GS3, that would then be transferred over to my number, while she gets my GS2? Is that common, and do they purposely prevent things like that?

If she doesn't currently have a data plan you'll probably have to get a data plan on her line.

All you need to do is switch the sim cards once you have the phones in hand.

If she doesn't currently have a data plan you'll probably have to get a data plan on her line.

All you need to do is switch the sim cards once you have the phones in hand.

She does. She is on my old paid off iphone. Is it really that simple? Everything is stored on that card? Awesome.

kehs

Banned
She does. She is on my old paid off iphone. Is it really that simple? Everything is stored on that card? Awesome.

Define everything.

The sim card just has the phone number account information, all your contacts and apps and all that jazz are tied to the google account so you'll have to reinstall move over data.

Zerg Rush doesn't work on 2.3.6 last I checked (which is what I have)

Oh, I didn't see the dates. You can probably find more up to date methods on xda, I don't think many people on here rooting are using the exhibit.

Gvaz

Banned
I would get the nexus but it's $350 so I'm using this cheaper one to test the waters with my walmart family mobile plan in my area. Never had a smartphone before.

kehs

Banned
Yeah the guy responded to me and there's a much clearer link here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=26859796

I'm not new to installing cfw on my devices, but I am new to doing this with androids so all this information is overwhelming.

Forget the stuff about CWM, since it seems you can do it with the samsung recovery:
I took out the CWM stuff out from the instructions, so you should be good to go with this.

I've never messed with Samsung phones though, so If someone else could chime in about the recovery that'd probably help.

1. Back up your data. I suggest Titanium Backup, available in the Market.

2. Download & copy t679-root-v1.8.zip to your internal sd card (if you already have a cwm installed you may use your removable card).

Samsung's recovery only sees the internal sd, so copy files there.

Stock recovery sometimes takes more than one try to start.

Easy way to start recovery
* Pull the battery from your phone.
* Connect phone to your pc via usb.
* Press & hold volume-up
* Insert battery

Your phone will boot into recovery. Press the capacitive menu button (left bottom button) when you see the open white box and droid.

5. Highlight install zip from sdcard, then press Home.

6. Highlight 'choose zip from sdcard/external sdcard, depending where you placed the download in step 2.

7. Highlight the kernel zip file, then press Home.

After you confirm your choice, installation should take less than a minute.

kehs

Banned

From snopes about candy canes. (I'm not linking because snopes doesn't allow text highlighting? da fuck?)

Tradition has it that some of these candies were put to use in Cologne Cathedral about 1670 while restless youngsters were attending ceremonies around the living creche. To keep them quiet, the choirmaster persuaded craftsmen to make sticks of candy bent at the end to represent shepherds' crooks, then he passed them out to boys and girls who came to the cathedral.

I don't know if I should feel offended or not.

Gvaz

Banned
I haven't been able to get MTP working on any windows 7 machine, so now I'm using a wifi app to get around the fact that windows is being a piece of shit. Woot.

besiktas1

I think I need urgent help :( I think my phone is broke (One X). Out of nothing. Haven't did anything different today. Working fine but for the past couple hours it doesn't pick up at all. No reception. Now it just keeps switching itself off. Cycles on then off. It's running very hot. Not doing anything with it it's running hot.

Because I rooted the phone I think my warranty is void :(
I flashed it with Revolution.

Is there a way to bring it back to stock and unroot it so worse case scenario I have to send it back?

kehs

Banned
I think I need urgent help :( I think my phone is broke (One X). Out of nothing. Haven't did anything different today. Working fine but for the past couple hours it doesn't pick up at all. No reception. Now it just keeps switching itself off. Cycles on then off. It's running very hot. Not doing anything with it it's running hot.

Because I rooted the phone I think my warranty is void :(
I flashed it with Revolution.

Is there a way to bring it back to stock and unroot it so worse case scenario I have to send it back?

Can you at least boot into recovery? If you can, you can most likely restore it back to stock state.

Vanillalite

Can you at least boot into recovery? If you can, you can most likely restore it back to stock state.

This! Try and roll back to stock. See if that fixes your over heating issues. Revolution could be buggy. That's a chance you take when you Rom flash.

Al-ibn Kermit

My 5 year old brother was playing angry birds on my Transformer Prime. And now, he brought it up to me and says it's broken. From what I can see, the screen doesn't turn on but it still makes the charging beep when you plug it into a charger. There's also a few scratches on the back proving that he did drop it.

So my question is do I try sending it into Asus if I didn't get a warranty on it? I was planning to sell this and get the Transformer Infinity which I'm still going to buy, but it would be nice to at least have my old tablet be in functional condition so I can give it as a gift or something.

Anyone know if you can find your phones IMEI through google play or your google account?

there are apps for that, but can't you just check under the battery cover?

My 5 year old brother was playing angry birds on my Transformer Prime. And now, he brought it up to me and says it's broken. From what I can see, the screen doesn't turn on but it still makes the charging beep when you plug it into a charger. There's also a few scratches on the back proving that he did drop it.

So my question is do I try sending it into Asus if I didn't get a warranty on it? I was planning to sell this and get the Transformer Infinity which I'm still going to buy, but it would be nice to at least have my old tablet be in functional condition so I can give it as a gift or something.

technically, if he didn't say he dropped it, you can't be sure it was dropped and didn't just malfunction... however, if he did indeed say he dropped it, that's fraud!

besiktas1

edit: well I flashed to insert coin rom but I'm still having the same problem. It's getting hot and it still doesn't pick up any reception :( help please, I'm well upset...

besiktas1

Took it to T-Mobile guy said its done for... Now if I could get a link to official fw one x international? Absolutely gutted. Going away Thursday there goes my entertainment device for the next 2 weeks. Smh. I have such bad luck with these things...

Vanillalite

Took it to T-Mobile guy said its done for... Now if I could get a link to official fw one x international? Absolutely gutted. Going away Thursday there goes my entertainment device for the next 2 weeks. Smh. I have such bad luck with these things...

T-mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom