• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
So, I started downloading the ICS update for the EVO 3D earlier this morning, and it is currently at 1%...

sumbady haaalp~!

give it 4 hours..it took 2 hours to get to 0.5mbs then 2 hours later it was done...word of warning, you might have to take out your sd card for it to work. I have a lot of apps installed on my sd card and once all the apps load, the phone reboots and it will continue to do this FOREVER until you boot up without the card. That's right...HTC borked the update. I've had it with that shit.

JCX

give it 4 hours..it took 2 hours to get to 0.5mbs then 2 hours later it was done...word of warning, you might have to take out your sd card for it to work. I have a lot of apps installed on my sd card and once all the apps load, the phone reboots and it will continue to do this FOREVER until you boot up without the card. That's right...HTC borked the update. I've had it with that shit.

It downloaded fairly quickly for me over 4G.

Really? Cause I'm staring at my HOX with 4.0.4 installed and playing Post Acid by the Waves looking at the album art and music controls on my lock screen.

Maybe it's because 3VO doesn't have sense 4.0, but I've tried turning it on via play music and lock screen settings, but no dice. I tried once with stock music and it displayed album art and controls on the lock screen.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Maybe it's because 3VO doesn't have sense 4.0, but I've tried turning it on via play music and lock screen settings, but no dice. I tried once with stock music and it displayed album art and controls on the lock screen.

I know my GF's HTC Inspire 4G doesn't do this, but that phone is old as hell and using Sense 2.X. Didn't surprise me that her's wouldn't do that. I figured the 3VO was newer though, and you'd be able to do this.

PS: Thanks you AT&T and HTC for pushing this update out. Better Volume is $$$$$$!!!!

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

maybe the servers were getting hammered. I was on wifi at the time and it was slow as shit then the whole sd card/soft boot thing just shits all over the excitement >_> Like 1 big fuck you from HTC.

Vanillalite

It's like HTC just decided today was update day!

Surprised the Evo 4G LTE didn't get the ICS 4.0.4 update today as well.

At anyrate the wait is on now for ICS. Today's HOX update basically fixed every minor gripe I had with my phone. It's basically perfect now. I'm definitely going to rock stock verses ROM flashing now that everything is fixed while I wait for JB.

Vanillalite

You are a funny guy. Verizon is actually getting the LG Vu.

I was being serious. Not many people here are into LG (it seems) and I was thinking that dude was from NA which means no Sony stuff either.

Outside of that in the short term we basically already have Samsung/HTC/Moto's offering outside of the obvious Note sequel. Everything else is sort of either some unknown quantity or else farther away. I mean we know a new Nexus device will come at some point, but we don't even have any rumors on that yet.

ep85

Isn't the LG Vu severely lacking compared to the GNote when it comes to the stylus? THe LG basically is a fancy regular capacitive nub as opposed to co-developed with wacom S-Pen.

LG is always making phones that are almost top tier but have a glaring fault.

Droid Razr HD looks decent. T-Mobile is also getting a suped up version of the HTC One X. Sprint is getting the Photon Q which for all intents and purposes is more of a phone for QWERTY fanatics.

tino

Banned
I was being serious. Not many people here are into LG (it seems) and I was thinking that dude was from NA which means no Sony stuff either.

Outside of that in the short term we basically already have Samsung/HTC/Moto's offering outside of the obvious Note sequel. Everything else is sort of either some unknown quantity or else farther away. I mean we know a new Nexus device will come at some point, but we don't even have any rumors on that yet.

Actually my mistake. He asked any phone on the "horizon", I read it as "Verizon".

As far as new phone goes:

Razr HD to Verizon

And maybe another midrange Moto to Verizon.

I think that's it for the US Android phone this year.

Note 2 won't come to US until next year.

Vanillalite

Actually my mistake. He asked any phone on the "horizon", I read it as "Verizon".

As far as new phone goes:

Razr HD to Verizon

And maybe another midrange Moto to Verizon.

I think that's it for the US Android phone this year.

Note 2 won't come to US until next year.

Your crazy if you think Note 2 will be next year. That sucker will be in store by Holiday.

The question is when the next Nexus device hits. It's a wild card at this point.

rozay

Banned
Your crazy if you think Note 2 will be next year. That sucker will be in store by Holiday.

The question is when the next Nexus device hits. It's a wild card at this point.
On american carriers, he's correct.

Nexus will show up october or november.

I think we'll see some phones that haven't been announced pop up around the holidays, but maybe not high end.

Absol

Thank you AT&T/HTC for dropping the price of the One X. Got mine from Amazon Wireless a week an a half ago so I sent them an email for a price match. I was expecting to only get about $20 refund but got an email today I'm getting $40 instead since it seems Amazon lowered the price of the One X to $79.99. Now I'm just waiting to get the OTA update.

Got myself an unlocked Galaxy Nexus to replace my POS LG G2X. Man are the differences night and day between LG's skinned GB and Stock JB, I think this phone may have renewed my faith in Android haha

Side note, my parents just got a Asus Transformer Infinity and want to get the keyboard. Does anyone know if its true that older Transformer keyboards will work with the Infinity?

Vanillalite

That doesn't necessarily mean anything.

The Galaxy S2 came out september-november while the S3 came out in June.

Exactly. Sammy is just trying to push as soon as they can.

The whole initial rumor was Samsung moved the Note reveal and launch up a few months to get ahead of the new iPhone launch. That sounds like a big NA move. Plus they'll want a new Note to pimp for the Holiday. I've no doubt there will be a slight delay between international and NA side, but that still puts it as a Holiday release.

Samsung wants that out during the Holiday season if they can get parts done in time.

tino

Banned
I am saying it won't. Why, because Apple will ask ATT give the whole holiday to iPhone.

Again if you want to bet I will bet with you. Although I am not getting the Note 2, so the bet doesn't mean a lot to me,.

Vanillalite

I am saying it won't. Why, because Apple will ask ATT give the whole holiday to iPhone.

Again if you want to bet I will bet with you. Although I am not getting the Note 2, so the bet doesn't mean a lot to me,.

Why? Last October the 4S launched. So did the Galaxy S2. During the same time period. Both on AT&T BTW

iavi

I have google wallet installed on my VZW galaxy tuna, and it says it's unsupported. The google paypass card that's supposed to have 10 free $ on it also says the balance is unavailable. Is that money actually there?

Vanillalite

BTW my HTC One X #s

android404info21psd5.png
android404info120sq0.png

Any killer phones on the horizon?

iPhone 6

The New Blackberry

Nokia WP8 something-or-the-other

I know my GF's HTC Inspire 4G doesn't do this, but that phone is old as hell and using Sense 2.X. Didn't surprise me that her's wouldn't do that. I figured the 3VO was newer though, and you'd be able to do this.

PS: Thanks you AT&T and HTC for pushing this update out. Better Volume is $$$$$$!!!!

blame HTC. lockscreen music control works in CM9, even on the Nexus One.

TheTowel

The HOX update seems great. Wish they would implement the volume rocker in sleep as track up/down but my Rom does that. Waiting for the EVO 4g LTE to get the update.

Sai

Switching to 4G did the trick. Thanks to you both.

Download was at 3% even though it was going for well over 12 hours... Don't know why it was going to slow over Wi-Fi.

Droid Razr HD looks decent. T-Mobile is also getting a suped up version of the HTC One X. Sprint is getting the Photon Q which for all intents and purposes is more of a phone for QWERTY fanatics.

QHD = Fail

plus lol @ 1750mAh battery!

Google = Fail

HTC does the 'right' thing and everyone is like "lol menu button" and Samsung does the wrong thing and looks like a champ. Blame Duarte.

rozay

Banned
Submarino Conversível;40575885 said:
The 4G icon is worst
That's at&t's 4G icon, not HTC or Sense related.
ovJOe.jpg

If I had an at&t phone I would root that shit immediately to get rid of it as well as the stupid carrier logo on the top left. Wouldn't surprise me if someone blamed Samsung for trying to ape the iPhone by doing thatb

CyanogenMod said:
The Nexus One, along with the other first generation Snapdragon devices (devices with the QSD8x50, MSM7x25, MSM7x27 and MSM7x27T SoCs), will not be supported beyond the CM 7.x (Gingerbread) branch.

We’ve been holding off on finalizing this, looking for ways that we could make this work and be happy with the release. Sadly, it never panned out, and we’ve decided that it’s time to stop our efforts.

The Nexus One in particular would have required a custom hboot to repartition the internal memory (which itself was limited to 512 MB, like most devices of that generation) and the proprietary libs available (from 2.3) would have required compromises in the CyanogenMod code that we are not willing to make. The wide variety of MSM7x2x(T) devices, on top of these problems, also have a complete lack of media libraries that are compatible with the new APIs introduced in ICS (video decoding and encoding, specifically). The pieces just aren’t there.

Does the capability to run ICS or Jellybean exist on these devices? Yes, with enough time, effort, and hacks it can be made to work. Do we feel the experience is worth all of that? No.
https://plus.google.com/117962666888533781522/posts/MRnnvs3oFUF

Affected devices: ZTE Blade, HTC Desire, HTC Wildfire, LG Optimus Pro, HTC Tattoo, Samsung Galaxy Ace, HTC Droid Eris, LG Optimus Hub, LG Optimus Chic, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, myTouch 3G Slide, HTC Hero, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Legend, HTC Aria, Motorola Cliq, Motorola Backflip, Geeksphone One, LG Optimus One, Nexus One, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini, Samsung Galaxy Fit, HTC EVO 4G, Samsung Galaxy Mini, Huawei U8150, Huawei U8220, Commtiva Z71, Geeksphone Zero.

oh snap!

rozay

Banned
probably because the OEM actually makes the device and people expect service from them while the CM team works for free and made a detailed case as to why they won't be doing it.
Their reasoning for the nexus one is the same reason various other HTC and Samsung phones aren't getting 4.0 updates-partitions.

Thankfully, we have texasice and Evervolv doing his best to fit 4.1 on the nexus. Not too miffed about CM not supporting it, the internal memory is an unfortunate dealbreaker.

DXPett1

probably because the OEM actually makes the device and people expect service from them while the CM team works for free and made a detailed case as to why they won't be doing it.

OEMs are under no obligation to do anything but ensure the device works as advertised upon release to the market. Pretty sure none of those devices didn't advertise Ice Cream Sandwich support at release.

Don't get me wrong, its great to see devices updated ASAP but some people are far to self-entitled and no idea from the OEM's perspective how this shit works

OEMs are under no obligation to do anything but ensure the device works as advertised upon release to the market. Pretty sure none of those devices didn't advertise Ice Cream Sandwich support at release.

Don't get me wrong, its great to see devices updated ASAP but some people are far to self-entitled and no idea from the OEM's perspective how this shit works
doesn't matter, people expect it and complain.

tino

Banned
CM team really lost me with that new logo. Can't try a rom with a logo so horrible. You wonder if they have any taste in design at all.

Nicktendo86

Anyone else rocking the CM10 preview on the GNexus? Love it so far, runs just like stock JB but with added CM goodness.

By the way, whatever happened with that 5 Nexus devices rumour? Was that just for the whole of 2012, so we've had the 7 and the Q, are we getting another three devices this year?

Angst

CM team really lost me with that new logo. Can't try a rom with a logo so horrible. You wonder if they have any taste in design at all.

Lol. Just change the bootanimation to something better (Google Gears for example) and you'll never have to see the logo again.

gcubed

Anyone else rocking the CM10 preview on the GNexus? Love it so far, runs just like stock JB but with added CM goodness.

By the way, whatever happened with that 5 Nexus devices rumour? Was that just for the whole of 2012, so we've had the 7 and the Q, are we getting another three devices this year?

Getting at least a phone.

gcubed

Yeah as someone else said that 4G icon is from AT&T. It's just your AT&T standard 4g icon.

It's also worth noting the pics are resized so they might not look as nice. :p

The white background is the most jarring... but i've resigned to stop complaining about sense since its just expected of me now. I won't become what people expect! I'm not copernicus!

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Got myself an unlocked Galaxy Nexus to replace my POS LG G2X. Man are the differences night and day between LG's skinned GB and Stock JB, I think this phone may have renewed my faith in Android haha

Side note, my parents just got a Asus Transformer Infinity and want to get the keyboard. Does anyone know if its true that older Transformer keyboards will work with the Infinity?

Yes. The official TF700 dock is just a rebranded TF201 dock.

Get the TF201 dock. It's $99 at Best Buy.

I just got my Prime Infinity, and that 1980*1200 screen sure is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom