• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

Fair enough. If you don't mind me asking - what does the stock launcher have that Nova or Apex doesn't?

Re-sizing widgets automatically.
Swipe up to get rid of an object instead of dragging.
Will move objects to make place for another object.

And I'm on Nova Prime...

Also what does Apex offer that Nova Prime doesn't have?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
ifa-unpacked1.jpg

Samsung has just sent out invitations for its IFA Mobile Unpacked event setting the date for August 29th and judging by the clue of a wand drawn in the invitation it will be all about a new Note device.

Samsung’s Galaxy Note series are known for their stylus support as the original G Note phablet came with a built-in stylus. The big question is will it be a Samsung Galaxy Note tablet or the second generation of the Note phablet.

It’s nearly 10 months since Samsung unveiled the first Galaxy Note phablet with the shocking for the time 5.3-inch screen, and we could well hope to see the second-gen Note. So far, rumors about an upcoming Galaxy Note 2 pointed out that it’d largely retain its physical dimensions but manage to include a bigger, possibly 5.5-inch HD display. The processor will be upgraded to a quad-core one and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean will make all other ICS phones jelly.

The other possibility is that we see the resurrected Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. There we’d have a 10.1-inch screen and again rumors say it could have a quad-core processor.

We personally are hoping for the secong-gen Galaxy Note. What about you?

source: Samsung

gcubed

Hey gcube do you still have the Xoom? Have you tied thesoak test with jb on it?

I'm hoping it irons out the little bit of stutter that ICS still had on tegra 2.

-------

[i1mg]http://cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/nexus_chart.png[/img]

lol

nah, i got rid of that a long time ago. Rarely used it and it was still worth something. 10" is too big

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Might be old news to many by now but in an effort to clean up their old stuff and switch everything over a few new things have happened....

1) Google has dropped the mobile blog and mobile twitter

2) Google has replaced this with a new Official Android Blog!

3) Google has dropped Google Webcam Video for GTalk in Gmail

4) Google has replaced this with Google + Hangout

It's funny because my friends and I were just talking about 3 and 4 in the past few weeks. Since we all got new Android phones recently with front cameras we've been video chatting, but we keep moving back and forth from gtalk to g+. My best friend and I figured G+ was newer and it seemed better. We theorized since it was newer it was probably a different video back end than the old one created for GTalk years ago.

PS: It would be nice if somehow GTalk was rolled into Google + so we could just have one stop shop and have everything use the G+ protocols.

kehs

Banned
It has less stutter than ICS, but there's still some. There are new animations all over the place.

That's good to hear.

nah, i got rid of that a long time ago. Rarely used it and it was still worth something. 10" is too big

Totally get an N7 man.

PS: It would be nice if somehow GTalk was rolled into Google + so we could just have one stop shop and have everything use the G+ protocols.

They've been talking about it for ages, I'm hoping they're finally serious about it. Seems they might be after merging the video chats. G+ is happening rather smoothly.

Vanillalite

G+ is so much better because it's not straight P2P at least for video. Does G+ allow for multiple people to chat at once text wise without ever firing up video? I know there is text chat in Hangouts, but to start that doesn't it preclude you want to use video?

PS: Verizon is pushing ICS to the rezound today. Chalk that up to another device moving from the old 2.X camp to the new 4.X camp!!!

kehs

Banned
G+ is so much better because it's not straight P2P at least for video. Does G+ allow for multiple people to chat at once text wise without ever firing up video? I know there is text chat in Hangouts, but to start that doesn't it preclude you want to use video?

On mobile you can use messenger which allows multiple people to chat. On the desktop, it's still using talk, which does allow for group chats. This I hope is their next merge, cause it really shouldn't have been split to begin with.

Vanillalite

I still just use the external GTalk program on my desktop to talk with my GF and some of my friends (outside of steam). Then I'm just using GTalk on my mobile. I have messenger installed, but I never use it. Maybe I should start.

Ashhong

The TMo and ATT versions have nfc. I think the Sprint one is the odd man out.

I think some international versions have it too.

As far as I know they have NFC but not the correct hardware for Google Wallet. Unless they figured out a way to make it work? I hope so..

Cipherr

This Google wallet is freaking awesome. You get listed reciepts for every transaction right online. And you can remotely nuke it also if you lose your phone, on top of being able to put a password on it before it can be used on your phone. I also made a few purchases and checked the timeframes before it hit my bank. Its immediate, just like swiping a card, good news because I was worried they would screw that part up.

Can I remove the useless Google Search bar on my home screen without flashing another ROM?

Of course, go into settings and disable Google search. Ugly search bar is ugly.

This Google wallet is freaking awesome. You get listed reciepts for every transaction right online. And you can remotely nuke it also if you lose your phone, on top of being able to put a password on it before it can be used on your phone. I also made a few purchases and checked the timeframes before it hit my bank. Its immediate, just like swiping a card, good news because I was worried they would screw that part up.

Of course, go into settings and disable Google search. Ugly search bar is ugly.

Heres what happens when you do that.

Dont think that worked, im on my phone sorry.

Ashhong

Hey guys how can my friend install Jelly Bean on her Nexus S on Tmobile? Is it as simple as going through the official software update on the phone? She won't lose any data or need to reinstall apps right?

kehs

Banned
Hey guys how can my friend install Jelly Bean on her Nexus S on Tmobile? Is it as simple as going through the official software update on the phone? She won't lose any data or need to reinstall apps right?

Yup, it's an inplace upgrade, just go to setttings >about phone > check for update if she hasn't received a notification already.

Ashhong

Yup, it's an inplace upgrade, just go to setttings >about phone > check for update if she hasn't received a notification already.

Cool thanks, that's what I figured. Hoping she can handle that lol. If it erases her shit I'm telling her to come after you. She can be scary.

Vanillalite

i can never return to the land of 3G.

There are two things I can't currently ever due.

I could never return to a screen like my Samsung Focus had which was regular Super AMOLED pentile matrix screen.

I also couldn't ever return to 3g on a regular basis (though 3g+/HSPA/"4G" isn't AS bad).

Moving to a phone that doesn't have these two issues is like a gift from the heavens compared to what I was using.

kehs

Banned
Death to the menu button, hello zombie menu button.

AT&T and HTC are pushing out an over-the-air update for the HTC One X. It's Android 4.0.4, and presumably adds the standard bug fixes and optimizations, but there is one feature that will appeal to anybody who values screen real estate: a saner option for the menu button. Previously, the HTC One X displayed a large, black bar whenever a menu button was called for but the app didn't support Android 4.0's implementation of the menu button in the action bar. Now, there is an option within settings to rid yourself of that large black bar and instead long-press the multitasking button in order to pop up the menu. We've reached out for an official changelog of updates and we'll update when we hear more.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/2/3216069/android-4-0-4-update-htc-one-x-menu-button

So my Galaxy 2 (epic 4g touch) just updated to android 4.

I cant find something I used all the time.

Previously, in contacts, there were three screens or so.

The one screen with favorites had your favorites listed on top, and then a list of absolutely everyone else with a number showing how many times you called them.

Is this feature gone?????

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
There are two things I can't currently ever due.

I could never return to a screen like my Samsung Focus had which was regular Super AMOLED pentile matrix screen.

I also couldn't ever return to 3g on a regular basis (though 3g+/HSPA/"4G" isn't AS bad).

Moving to a phone that doesn't have these two issues is like a gift from the heavens compared to what I was using.

I've actually used up over 5 gigs of 3g data this week watching the Olympics on the Sprint GS3 (thank you Google for putting the data tracking in ICS). That is something I could never do using the Evo 3D's 3G. We don't have LTE here but that's just amazing. We DO have Wimax and at times I miss it especially now that it comes in strong at my new job :\

Vanillalite

Dang I just saw that browsing the verge app. My nephew's are in town and they are watching Phineas so I was browsing on my phone till we swim. Didn't expect the update to be out so fast.

I posted the other day that XDA was saying it was finally coming. They said 1 to 2 weeks. This is waaayyy sooner! Downloading as I type. Hope it brings 4.0.4! Also will be interested on what kernel is used. I'll post back soon going to reboot now!!

Vanillalite

Updated! That was about 10 minutes total. Downloaded over my WiFi which I get like 2 megs down. I'll post impressions later!

Edit: PS: Just checked the new #'s are...

Kernel Version: 3.0.8.
Sense: 4.0
Android: 4.0.4
One X: 2.20.502.7

ep85

So after toiling over what my upgrade phone would be (Atrix HD, GS3 and One X). I finally made the plunge on the One X.

Can't wait...

gutshot

The updated Google Wallet is so awesome. Added my debit card and was able to buy lunch today using it. Now there just needs to be more PayPass stations and I can stop carrying around my actual wallet!

BTW, for those curious, I was able to side load the app onto my unrooted Verizon Nexus and it works just fine. Screw you, Verizon!

So my Galaxy 2 (epic 4g touch) just updated to android 4.

I cant find something I used all the time.

Previously, in contacts, there were three screens or so.

The one screen with favorites had your favorites listed on top, and then a list of absolutely everyone else with a number showing how many times you called them.

Is this feature gone?????

It's in the dialer now. Bring up the dialer, swipe to the third tab and it will list your frequent contacts and then all contacts with a phone number.

Sai

So, I started downloading the ICS update for the EVO 3D earlier this morning, and it is currently at 1%...

sumbady haaalp~!

rozay

Banned
I don't think there can be any question now that its button configuration is superior to that of the SGS3.

Still, it would be nice if they put a little icon in the status bar to let you know when there is a hidden menu available. I'm assuming it doesn't do that.
Which is why I really appreciate the virtual soft keys. I find it important to have a menu button, but it does suck for normobs that you don't know which screens have extra functionality and which ones don't.

I do understand that people prefer having the screen real estate so hopefully a future version has a compromise between the two.

Vanillalite

4 Things I've Found in the HOX Update...

1) The obvious 3 Dots for a menu can be changed to where you hold down multitask button to bring up the menu instead

2) Increased free RAM at start up which some users have said they've had way less issues with things being forced closed early

3) Speedier Home Screen

4) Max Volume has been raised

Out of the 4 the 4th is the one I like the best. I always thought the volume through the speaker was low. Calls were fine and headphones were fine. Max volume for things like ringtone/alerts/alarms etc... seemed low, and that seems to have been fixed.

I can't really comment on the battery life, but I thought I was getting great battery life on the AT&T version of the HOX before this. I'm also not sure what else 4.0.4 brings just in general over 4.0.3. I think the web browser might be better, but I just use Chrome so I wouldn't really know.

JCX

Ugh, HTC made it so only their stock music player, not Google music, displays on the lock screen. Another reason why my next phone won't be from HTC

Vanillalite

Ugh, HTC made it so only their stock music player, not Google music, displays on the lock screen. Another reason why my next phone won't be from HTC

Really? Cause I'm staring at my HOX with 4.0.4 installed and playing Post Acid by the Waves looking at the album art and music controls on my lock screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom