• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try Gentle Alarm or Alarm (from Doubletwist). Both can play any mp3, although Alarm forces you to download Doubletwist music player.

Edit - can't you just move the mp3 you want to use to the Ringtones (or whatever it's called) folder?

They are in the ringtone folder already, it worked with ICS and hasn't worked with jellybean

Its strange

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
$2.99!?

Woa woa woa, if I wanted to spend alot of money for something that works right I would have bought an iPhone.

(thanks, I'll give it a shot)

I think xda has a free version. I forget.

As expected the Xperia Mint looks a lot better than Eldar made out:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/08/07/more-live-photos-of-the-sony-xperia-t-lt30p/

XperiaT_Nix_1.jpg

XperiaT_Nix_5.jpg

XperiaT_Nix_9.jpg

The bottom bezel for the Xperia logo is way to big, but otherwise it looks decent. Not sure about the rubberised/matte plastic back cover, but I have heard it is plastic to allow for a larger battery which is good news. They received a lot of complaints about the Xperia P because the battery life is poor because of the small battery (1300mAh) which in turn is due to the aluminium casing.

The design is definitely more distinct than the Galaxy S3, but not as good as the Xperia S or the Lumia 900.

Ashhong

I actually just ended up rebooting into recovery and clearing cache/dalvik cache and that seemed to have fixed the problem.

What rom/phone do you use? I'm reading the media scanning error is common for JB roms

$2.99!?

Woa woa woa, if I wanted to spend alot of money for something that works right I would have bought an iPhone.

(thanks, I'll give it a shot)

Woa woa woa, I guess I should have mentioned that the developer puts it on XDA for free. Hope you didn't buy =x

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

They are in the ringtone folder already, it worked with ICS and hasn't worked with jellybean

Its strange

What about in your settings menu? Do you see your files listed in the menus for notifications or ringtones?

Toki767

What rom/phone do you use? I'm reading the media scanning error is common for JB roms

I'm actually not even using a rom. I'm using a rooted stock ICS Galaxy S III with CWM installed. I've heard some people having the same problem with ICS though.

Ashhong

Looks like a boring black slab to me.

Yea reminds me of the S2. Boring.

I'm actually not even using a rom. I'm using a rooted stock ICS Galaxy S III with CWM installed. I've heard some people having the same problem with ICS though.

Oh OK. At least in regards to JB, I read that a big problem is a directory on your SD/internal memory with tons of files in it. Like some game folder that might install thousands of 1kb files = no good.

Toki767

Oh OK. At least in regards to JB, I read that a big problem is a directory on your SD/internal memory with tons of files in it. Like some game folder that might install thousands of 1kb files = no good.

That makes me so glad I don't play games on my phone.

rozay

Banned

http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/08/07/more-live-photos-of-the-sony-xperia-t-lt30p/

XperiaT_Nix_1.jpg

XperiaT_Nix_5.jpg

XperiaT_Nix_9.jpg

The bottom bezel for the Xperia logo is way to big, but otherwise it looks decent. Not sure about the rubberised/matte plastic back cover, but I have heard it is plastic to allow for a larger battery which is good news. They received a lot of complaints about the Xperia P because the battery life is poor because of the small battery (1300mAh) which in turn is due to the aluminium casing.

The design is definitely more distinct than the Galaxy S3, but not as good as the Xperia S or the Lumia 900.
It's a little bit too bland I think. The galaxy S3 is bland as fuck but it has a color that identifies it amongst a lot of other phones. They had something good going with the Xperia S and its lower end lookalikes but I'm assuming that design prevents them from using larger screens and batteries.

The Ion looks worse but I thought the silver trim around the phone was a nice touch. Is this it for their phones this year or will there be another high end phone?

edit:looking at this on a larger screen, there's just no way around it-one of the two logos has to go. Ideally, keep XPERIA on the front and stick the sony logo on the back. That, or change the positioning like that one asian phone. I don't like how the sony logo fonts look propped up against the earpiece.

Ashhong

I'd pay for it depending on how incredibly useful I find it.
I didn't pay for it though since I didn't know how it worked.

You have to view the wakelocks and then basically google the process that's causing the problem, and then figure it out from there.

Yea, they are all there

And they show up when I use 3rd party alarm clock apps.......but I prefer the standard app

Weird, you can download Ringdroid apk from here and use that, which some people report works for your case.

http://code.google.com/p/ringdroid/downloads/detail?name=Ringdroid-2.4-rc2.apk&can=2&q=

I recommend Alarm Clock Plus. I don't know what the JB app does, but this app is great. So many features for my alarms.

XperiaT_Nix_1.jpg

XperiaT_Nix_5.jpg

XperiaT_Nix_9.jpg

someone send a signal to Cupertino.

kehs

Banned
Better battery stats is pretty sweet, it has all the stuff I think is missing from the battery section in the settings.

Swig_

I have a samsung galaxy s2. Recently it updated to ICS from whatever came stock. How would I find out if I can roll back to the old version and find out what version I was running.

ICS ruined some apps that I need, so it would be very nice to go back.

Mully

I really miss my navigation app that came with most Androids.

My parents didn't know I had an EVO 4G and got me an iPhone 4S for my birthday. I've just switched and I really miss the turn by turn directions the computer woman would give me.

tino

Banned
269 american dollars?
I'm kinda considering this one instead of the galaxy nexus now.

720p and 1GB memory and a battery bigger than Galaxy Note's. That's actually pretty impressive. The MTK dualcoure soc is comparable to the Tegra 2 dualcore, both are in the weaker end of the dualcore spectrum.

If this phone has a cheap replacable battery for sale I would consider it better phone than Galaxy Nexus.

I am actually looking forward to this chassis inside a fake iPhone 5 now.

I really miss my navigation app that came with most Androids.

My parents didn't know I had an EVO 4G and got me an iPhone 4S for my birthday. I've just switched and I really miss the turn by turn directions the computer woman would give me.

you couldn't get them to trade it in for a tablet or something?

Mully

but Google Maps + Navigation is so much better o_O

btw the new google now hack for ics comes with working voice :D

That's what I was talking about. It's really good. It'll give you all the information you need. It does drain your battery though.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
That's what I was talking about. It's really good. It'll give you all the information you need. It does drain your battery though.

Ah..I thought Google Nav was built in the iOS Google Maps. I checked it on my ipad and it didn't talk back :|

I hear iOS 6 is getting it's own maps with voice directions. You won't have to wait that long.

quaere

I've bought several Chinese phones over the years...
Wow, there are some good deals on that site. Thought chinavasion was cheap. These are decent phones with dual cores, ICS, IPS displays. Just not sure about support and build quality on these.

This one looks pretty sweet for the price. 2750 mah battery!

http://www.merimobiles.com/JIAYU_G3_Dual_core_4_5_inch_IPS_Screen_1280x720_An_p/meri5684.htm
Build quality is...not that great. But I wouldn't say it's worse than equivalently priced non-contract devices in the US, and you'll get a lot more performance out of a Chinese phone at that same price point.
Not bad at all. What kind of support do these devices get? Kind of unfortunate that the rom is so heavily customized in bad ways, but at least it has 4.0.4.
Some of these phones have Chinese ROM developing communities. A lot of them hang out here - http://bbs.hiapk.com/. Just open it up in Chrome and click translate.

Support from the manufacturer seems minimal though.

Emily Chu

Banned
kinda jelly now, my 16 yr old younger brother just picked up a pebble blue Galaxy S III from Verizon but they capped his data @ 2GB for 199$

still rocking my Gnex with unlimited 4G though

how long is this unlimited plan going to last before they finally decide to say fuck you and force everyone off ?

he was ready to buy a iphone 4S they took it out and everything, but me and a sales rep changed his mind @ the last minute by shit talking the ip4s into oblivion

no flash, no 4G LTE, tiny 3.5 "screen, less ram, no customization, locked echo system, it's a year old, etc all that for the same price... 199.99$

he asked me and the sales rep what phone we would get, we answer in unison the SAMSUNG GALAXY S III for 199.99$

he put the ip4s down and said... get me a SGIII.....

:D

Android - 1

Apple - 0

kinda jelly now, my 16 yr old younger brother just picked up a pebble blue Galaxy S III from Verizon but they capped his data @ 2GB for 199$

how long is this unlimited plan going to last before they finally decide to say fuck you and force everyone off ?

he was ready to buy a iphone 4S they took it out and everything, but me and a sales rep changed his mind @ the last minute by shit talking the ip4s into oblivion

no flash, no 4G LTE, tiny 3.5 "screen, less ram, no customization, locked echo system, it's a year old, etc all that for the same price... 199.99$

he asked me and the sales rep what phone we would get, we answer in unison the SAMSUNG GALAXY S III for 199.99$

Android - 1

Apple - 0

Lol NERDS!

Massa

So I'm interested in getting an Oyua-like Android box to plug to my TV, the x86 system I'm currently using is a bit loud and a fanless solution would be preferred.

Does anyone here currently use one of these? Is there a specific model with an active community on something like XDA? My only requirements is that it runs ICS and has drivers to handle video decoding.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

TheTowel

Yeah, not so sure about that google now anymore. It works great but really drains the battery. I am using the ICS mod so that might be a factor in the battery life.

Toki767

Android - 1

Apple - 0
Lol I can totally see a misinformed teenager do that. I thought you didn't like the S III though. Or did you just prefer the Nexus?

Swig_

Not exactly Android specific, but not sure where else to ask..

My Thrive tablet takes a full-size SD card. I bought one to use with it, but 80% of the time that I tried copying/changing files on it, it said the card was write-protected. The lock switch on the side was not on lock. It was incredibly frustrating trying to get data on/off the card.

Is this a known problem and are there SD card that will not have this problem? The card in question was a 32GB Sandisc card. I'm really worried about buying another card since this has been so frustrating to deal with and I really don't want to have to return another card.

Emily Chu

Banned
Lol I can totally see a misinformed teenager do that. I thought you didn't like the S III though. Or did you just prefer the Nexus?

Apple's marketing is bar none, tier one
We literally have to rip the programing out of him right in the store, he was DEAD SET on getting a black ip4s when he walked in.
"most of my friends had one"
they had the ip4s out and he was ready to pay for it and choosing cases
until he asked me and a sales rep what phone we would both get for the 199$ range right now.

He walked out with the SG3.
Everything went better than expected : P

I didn't like it because it wasn't a nexus phone but it's got nicer specs than my gnex though
and expandable SD card memory, one annoyance I noticed was he kept hitting the 2 side buttons on the SGIII.

suko_32

I didn't like it because it wasn't a nexus phone but it's got nicer specs than my gnex though
and expandable SD card memory, one annoyance I noticed was he kept hitting the 2 side buttons on the SGIII.

My sister and I had that problem too until we got the Incipio Silicrylic case.

Before I had the s3 I had an Optimus T and this was a nice upgrade to say the least.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So the International One X is getting it's own update soon (similar to the One X AT&T update that hit recently) with Sense 4.1. An early build leaked, and XDA obviously already has a hold of it like always.

Anyways it seems to really fix the Tegra 3 issues. Supposedly they added an extra 2 hours of battery life with the screen on. Also they optimized for the chipset better. Granted it's not really a great benchmark, but people said the quadrant score went from 5100 to 5900. So yeah SOMETHING happened. Also has the general round of bug fixes the AT&T version got along with a bump to 4.0.4 ICS.

Phandroid Article

Sense 4.1 RUU has been leaked (version number 2.15.401.5) , and after some testing, we found the following fixes:

- Live wallpaper lag has been fixed
- There’s a dedicated button in the Camera app to switch between Front/Backward facing cameras. (earlier you’d have to go into the menu for that.)
- A dedicated button to switch tabs in the browser. (You’d have to go into the menu for that, too)
- Complete removal of all 3D-Effects in the launcher leading to a completely lag-free experience.
- Probably the most important- Rebased on Android 4.0.4
- Added ability to remap the recent apps button/ Long-press recent apps/ Long-press Home as Menu. (yes, it removes the Virtual menu bar) under Settings->Display, Gestures and Buttons
- New, blazing fast kernel. We mean it. It scored a pretty impressive 5900+ in Quadrant benchmark (compared to 5100+ on Sense 4)
- Wifi-dropping/ Icon showing weak signal Fixes.
- Better Battery life- 5 Hour+ Screen-on time as compared to a measly 3 Hour+ on Sense 4.

PS: I really think the GS3 releasing has helped normally slow and unwilling HTC to try and step it up with the One Series after launch as the GS3 is killing them.

gcubed

So the International One X is getting it's own update soon (similar to the One X AT&T update that hit recently) with Sense 4.1. An early build leaked, and XDA obviously already has a hold of it like always.

Anyways it seems to really fix the Tegra 3 issues. Supposedly they added an extra 2 hours of battery life with the screen on. Also they optimized for the chipset better. Granted it's not really a great benchmark, but people said the quadrant score went from 5100 to 5900. So yeah SOMETHING happened. Also has the general round of bug fixes the AT&T version got along with a bump to 4.0.4 ICS.

Phandroid Article

Sense 4.1 RUU has been leaked (version number 2.15.401.5) , and after some testing, we found the following fixes:

- Live wallpaper lag has been fixed
- There’s a dedicated button in the Camera app to switch between Front/Backward facing cameras. (earlier you’d have to go into the menu for that.)
- A dedicated button to switch tabs in the browser. (You’d have to go into the menu for that, too)
- Complete removal of all 3D-Effects in the launcher leading to a completely lag-free experience.
- Probably the most important- Rebased on Android 4.0.4
- Added ability to remap the recent apps button/ Long-press recent apps/ Long-press Home as Menu. (yes, it removes the Virtual menu bar) under Settings->Display, Gestures and Buttons
- New, blazing fast kernel. We mean it. It scored a pretty impressive 5900+ in Quadrant benchmark (compared to 5100+ on Sense 4)
- Wifi-dropping/ Icon showing weak signal Fixes.
- Better Battery life- 5 Hour+ Screen-on time as compared to a measly 3 Hour+ on Sense 4.

PS: I really think the GS3 releasing has helped normally slow and unwilling HTC to try and step it up with the One Series after launch as the GS3 is killing them.

HTC has been on a quick descent into the "other" category of Android handset makers after they burned all the good will the Desire/Desire HD gave them. I would assume shareholders and the profitability of their company is pushing this as everyone knew the One X had a limited window until the GS3 launched.

The One X is a beautiful piece of hardware... i would love for them to be in the Nexus game again, as its superior in every way that matters IMO to the US GS3... except for the skin (which they are admittedly working to fix)

JordanKZ

Looks like the Google search knowledge graph is hitting all English speaking countries tomorrow. Hopefully that means people in the UK can finally turn off all the US centric stuff so that we can use voice search on Jelly Bean to its full potential.

AndyD

aka andydumi

You wont be forced off it if you pay full price for the phone. I got a GS3 preorder with Verizon so that I can lock in unlimited and get it at upgrade price. One last phone before buying off contract in the future. Based on the performance of the Gnex, I anticipate I will buy less than year old future Gnex or Galaxy devices unlocked and use them with my unlimited data.

Mordeccai

Does anybody have any experience editing .psd files for homescreens?

More specifically, I do not have photoshop and I want to edit this picture. I do have GIMP though.

And change two of the icons on the middle row and the far right one on the dock. Can anybody give me a run down on how to do this or is such a long process that I just have to dive into the internet and spend the day learning how to edit three little icons?!

tino

Banned
Does anybody have any experience editing .psd files for homescreens?

More specifically, I do not have photoshop and I want to edit this picture. I do have GIMP though.

And change two of the icons on the middle row and the far right one on the dock. Can anybody give me a run down on how to do this or is such a long process that I just have to dive into the internet and spend the day learning how to edit three little icons?!

Dude you can't learn photoshop in 1 day. Its the most complicated consumer application.

Where is the psd file? I will take a look.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So there are two different rumors floating around the web today regarding One X redos for the fall with update specs... They seem to overlap though in info...

The 1st Rumor all comes from this Stuff.TV "Exclusive"...

These aren’t the first rumours we’ve heard about HTC’s follow-up to the One X (above), but they are the most extensive. Our trusty mole at the Taiwanese phone maker has dropped a load of specs our way, including the One X II’s codename – HTC Endeavour C2.

Alongside that encouraging codename, our source details a 1.7GHz quad-core processor beating in the Endeavour C2’s chest, plus an improved battery, a new colour (we’re not sure which) and bundled UrBeats earphones.

We’re told the HTC Endeavour C2 is compatible with the One X’s accessories, suggesting its design blueprint hasn’t fallen far from the tree.

On the software side HTC is adding ClearVoice to improve call quality and the Endeavour C2 will be the company’s first phone to run HTC Watch 2, the latest version of its video-on-demand offering.

Finally, we have some vague price and release date details, with UK network deals offering the phone for around £5 more a month than the One X and the HTC Endeavour C2 expected to hit shelves on or before October 1st.​

2nd rumor comes from the Mobile Indian...

HTC to announce Snapdragon S4 Pro next month
By Nilabh Jha, The Mobile Indian, New Delhi, August 08, 2012

The phone will have a 1.5 GHz quad core processor from Qualcomm, 2 GB RAM, and a 4.7 inch screen.

Qualcomm recently announced its first quad core mobile processor with Snapdragon S4 Pro, which boasts the best benchmarking scores amongst mobile processors.

And now, according to The Gadget Site, the first smartphone to get the processor will be from HTC. Most likely, it will be the flagship phone from HTC One and boasts a 4.7 inch screen with 720p resolution, and processor clocked at 1.5 GHz, Adreno 320 graphics processing unit and 2 GB of RAM. The device might be named HTC One XXL.

According to leaked screenshots the phone will also have an 8 megapixel rear and a 1.8 megapixel front camera. The smartphone is expected to be announced during the IFA 2012 event which is to be held from August 31 to September 5 in Berlin, Germany.

HTC has always had a close relationship with Qualcomm; they were the first to debut the Snapdragon S1 chipset years ago with Desire and were also the first to bring the S4 (in HTC One X) this year.

Qualcomm introduced its first quad core chip after almost a year of Nvidia introducing its Tegra 3 chipset. However, Qualcomm at that time had said that Android is not optimised for quad core processors and therefore it decided to soup up its dual core Snapdragon S4, which apparently had better performance than the Tegra 3.

The technical reason behind the astonishing lead in performance is the Krait core Qualcomm used for the S4. Compared to the Cortex A9 that other manufacturers use, including Samsung for its Exynos processor, the S4 Pro also uses an Adreno 320 GPU, which the company claims will double the speed of its past model.

Qualcomm has in fact begun selling a $1299 (Rs 72,000) tablet for developers running the S4 Pro, but it is for developers to create apps for the new processor. However, it also leads us to think that there will be tablets dotting the market based on this chip. We expect tablets to be announced at the IFA 2012 too.

In the ever changing tech world, Qualcomm currently sits on top above the others. Nvidia and Intel both garnered some attention in the past, but it was short-lived. The single core Atom processor by Intel initially seemed impressive but phones based on that processor received little coverage. As Qualcomm plans to reveal the S4 Pro at IFA 2012, Android enthusiasts hold their breath hopefully for the next monstrous processor.​

Rumored Leak Pic:
one-xxl.jpg

Mordeccai

Dude you can't learn photoshop in 1 day. Its the most complicated consumer application.

Where is the psd file? I will take a look.

Yeah I've looked at it on a friends computer before and its extremely overwhelming but I figured if I had to I could sit down and learn. It appears not!

If you would take a look I would really appreciate it, it would finalize my phone homescreen which I've been trying to do for six months now. The .rar with the .psd inside it can be found at this mediafire link its in the sources folder. Password for folder access is: ezacx.deviantart.com

Essentially I want to change the lock grey icon into a camera icon, the magnifying glass into a navigation icon. Want to change the 0.7Camera to say 0.7Music with Spotify and Soundhound as text beneath, and switch the purple dock icon to a messaging one.

I really don't expect you to do any of that work to be honest, its a lot to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom