• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
wait he got it yesterday your telling me there was a way he could have kept his unlimited data and get it at upgrade pricing ?

how ? he didn't pre-order and wasn't there a certain date that if you didn't upgrade by then you have to switch over to 2GB cap if you didn't upgrade in time and want the upgrade pricing ?

No there was no way for him. I was just saying some people managed to get the phone at a discount and keep unlimited as well. I think in the long run unlimited data is far more important than a discounted phone. Particularly since it locks you into a contract.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
LOL at this dude having a meltdown. And then complaining about Android like we give a shit. It's not for you, cool, we don't care. Move on. Look for attention elsewhere.

Posted from my iPad

reKon

Banned
Installed JB on my HTC Droid Inc. Runs JB okay, too bad CM and AOKP dropped it.

Haha, I had the hardest time trying to get CM9 on the incredible because of the difficulty of getting it rooted if you had applied the 2.3.6 update. When I finally figured it out, I put AOKP 40 on it and it wasn't too smooth. During some free time later on, I decided to try this out: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/26144-romkang²cm9unofficial-nightlies/

CM9 runs well on the incredible and I was surprised. The animations aren't as complete as when it runs on my Nexus, but it's still great. I wonder how stock gingerbread would compare in smoothness because I never did try it.

The ridiculous thing about this is I went through the trouble of getting CM9 on to my Incredible just because I could. I own the GNex, a phone better in almost every way...

Wtf is wrong with me?

Pctx

Banned
It just works. I'm done with this thing. Its going back. I tried, community sucks, and support is almost nonexistant for someone non-geeky. I got Firefox beta installed and it won't go into landscape mode. I'm not a new Android user but shit I don't know this sideload bullshit. And what the fuck is the deal with portrait mode only on homescreen on a tablet?
If you want to learn how to have a meltdown over Android, go read my thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383858

Ashhong

Finally upgraded to CM10 on my GS2. Loving it so far, very slick. I wish I had data so I could enjoy Google Now, but at least I can do voice recognition now :D

Doopliss

Finally upgraded to CM10 on my GS2. Loving it so far, very slick. I wish I had data so I could enjoy Google Now, but at least I can do voice recognition now :D
Yeah, it's great. It doesn't have all the "butter" performance optimisations (such as triple buffering) but it's still really smooth, probably thanks to the combination of fast SoC and relatively low screen resolution. The new animations provide some of that brand-new-device feeling.

For a full AOSP experience I recommend going into system settings and remapping the menu key to the recent apps switcher and enabling the action overflow button.

5i60zl.png

CyanogenMod 9 – Stable

ciwrl said:
ICS, we hardly knew ye.

Builds for CyanogenMod 9 stable will be rolling out to our servers tonight. As noted before, this will be the end of the line for the ICS branch of our code; only critical bug fixes will be merged moving forward.

As a note, the maguro build from this morning was not meant to be linked publicly. Maguro’s build this evening will be marked 9.0.0.1 to be on par with the other 9.0.0 releases.

Tonight’s release is for the majority of our ICS supported devices, the stragglers will catch up, and we will leave the door open for merging in additional devices from maintainers, external and internal. The team itself, will focus solely on Jelly Bean and maintenance of the CM 7 codebase.

Many have wondered why we bothered to finish CM 9 when we are already active in CM 10 development. To that, our answer is: we don’t like to leave things incomplete. There is no profit gained from what we do, so the satisfaction of completing a goal is our only reward. This release also serves as a release suitable for the masses, especially those who won’t have 100% functioning releases of CM 10 immediately or are averse to anything branded as ‘preview’, ‘alpha’, ‘beta’ or ‘nightly’.

On the topic of nightlies, this release also serves as an end to our CM 9 nightlies, to make way for nightlies chock full of Jelly Bean goodness. A follow-up post will be made when we enable those builds.

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/cyanogenmod-9-stable

pop champagne!

Bukana

I'm trying to connect Kies with my Galaxy S2 but right now it won't open at all using Mountain Lion!
Any alternative ways to update my S2 !?

Yeah, it's great. It doesn't have all the "butter" performance optimisations (such as triple buffering) but it's still really smooth, probably thanks to the combination of fast SoC and relatively low screen resolution. The new animations provide some of that brand-new-device feeling.

For a full AOSP experience I recommend going into system settings and remapping the menu key to the recent apps switcher and enabling the action overflow button.

http://i.imgur.com/5i60zl.png

Is it from this ROM? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1794758

Blackhead

Redarse
CyanogenMod 9 – Stable

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/cyanogenmod-9-stable

pop champagne!

Yay! So... do I need to flash this again or does it show up as a system update?

5i60zl.png
Is that only in CM10? Looking good.

I was looking into rooting my One X since I'm still on 1.85 and haven't updated to 2.20 yet.

Which rom do you use and what sucks about it?

I used CleanROM by Scott Crosler (scrosler on xda). I like it enough, but I need an AOSP ROM more because everything Sense--from the icon coloring to the non-holo system app design, and the multitasking app, instead of just a simple bar--is all annoying to me.

I mean Sense 4.0 (and now 4.1) is great for the normal end user, and with the update i'm hearing everything is smooth, but ever since my first Android phone (Captivate) i've just been getting more flash crazy every year... All to get my phone to stock Android to do the newest things available. Flashing is fun and all but you are at the mercy of people that know how to develop and build ROMS...if I could learn how to do it myself that would be great but since i haven't yet, i think i'll just get the next nexus. Saving my pennies.

Yeah because everything "just works" for us iOS folk. My friend touted flash works now it "doesn't". You can see why I'm upset.

...and you must have plenty of friends
that lack an Android
Like flash.

BOOM Headshot!

i hope you can trade it for a GS3.

lol, i'm sure you do. GSIII defense force and proud right?

honestly though I got the phone on May 6th and would love to trade it in, but it's too late, I can't join the force. I'll wait for the next Nexus. Loving this Nexus 7

Honestly post the new AT&T update everything for me personally does just work now with stock sense. The 2 or 3 small issues I had are gone. I can understand why people don't want to lose their root if they already have it though.

As for the Skyrocket like One X + you should just expect newer better stuff every 6 months or so in Android land. It's just the world we live in at least in Android land.

I think I was more referring to the fact that AOSP ROMs are always missing a feature or two, or always have a bug or two because of no source code.

Seems the answer to my problem has always been to have a Nexus phone.

As far as expecting better stuff every six months, by no means am i new here or to Android, i know the deal, just hurts a lot less when the shell of the phone isn't the exact same as the original model, which is what it's reported to be.

Ashhong

http://i.imgur.com/5i60zl.png

Cool I'll try it out. But why have the back button do that when you can hold down HOME and have it do the same? I like to have the back button programmed to shut down the current app. Comes in handy. Not sure what action overflow is but I'll see.

Does your predictive text work in the keyboard? I get the usual auto corrections, but after that the suggestions area is just blank..

edit: I cant find those settings on my i777

Today's FREE App of the Day on the Amazon Appstore for Android is Ichi!

i've never actually played it, but i do remember seeing a video for it when it was released. it's a pretty highly rated puzzle game, and probably the best free app of the day in weeks if not months.

lol, i'm sure you do. GSIII defense force and proud right?

honestly though I got the phone on May 6th and would love to trade it in, but it's too late, I can't join the force. I'll wait for the next Nexus. Loving this Nexus 7
i dunno if i'm on that defense force or not... we'll see in december when my upgrade is at bat... only thing i can guarantee is best galaxy wins, whatever that is at the time!

Doopliss

Basically, yes, although I build from the source code myself. The feature should be in all builds from 7 August or later. That goes for every CM10 device which has hardware keys, not just the I9100.

Yay! So... do I need to flash this again or does it show up as a system update?

Is that only in CM10? Looking good.
It was submitted to CM9 but not in time for the feature freeze for the release candidates. I think it's unlikely to be added now that CM9 development is meant to be just bug fixes.

Glad you like it.

Cool I'll try it out. But why have the back button do that when you can hold down HOME and have it do the same? I like to have the back button programmed to shut down the current app. Comes in handy. Not sure what action overflow is but I'll see.

Does your predictive text work in the keyboard? I get the usual auto corrections, but after that the suggestions area is just blank..

edit: I cant find those settings on my i777

The feature has only been merged in CM10 for a couple of days, so if the build you're running is older then it won't have it. Otherwise it should be in Settings -> System -> Hardware keys.

The action overflow is the 3-dot software menu button which removes the need for a dedicated menu button. That provides the reason for remapping the menu key to the recent apps switcher (though I can still open the menu with long-press on home, for compatibility with old apps). The back key can't be customised in these settings because of the kill-app feature in the dev options. The search key can if your device has one.

I haven't had any problems with word suggestions showing up while typing, so I don't know what could be causing that.

These are the available custom key actions, by the way:

CFqUjl.png

AndyD

aka andydumi
ANyone know of a decent ICS rom for an HTC Thunderbolt. Its my old phone, and I use it now without data, wifi only, more as a Tivo remote and random app and internet device.

elsk

Banned
Hi, wanted to know if you guys could point to a cheap android phone (unlocked). I would like to be able to install jelly bean, but anything that could handle 4.0 is ok.

My budget is 150$USD.

Thanks!

Ashhong

Basically, yes, although I build from the source code myself. The feature should be in all builds from 7 August or later. That goes for every CM10 device which has hardware keys, not just the I9100.

It was submitted to CM9 but not in time for the feature freeze for the release candidates. I think it's unlikely to be added now that CM9 development is meant to be just bug fixes.

Glad you like it.

The feature has only been merged in CM10 for a couple of days, so if the build you're running is older then it won't have it. Otherwise it should be in Settings -> System -> Hardware keys.

The action overflow is the 3-dot software menu button which removes the need for a dedicated menu button. That provides the reason for remapping the menu key to the recent apps switcher (though I can still open the menu with long-press on home, for compatibility with old apps). The back key can't be customised in these settings because of the kill-app feature in the dev options. The search key can if your device has one.

I haven't had any problems with word suggestions showing up while typing, so I don't know what could be causing that.

These are the available custom key actions, by the way:

http://i.imgur.com/CFqUjl.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Ah yea, I think it's just not in my build. I look forward to these features :D

Hi, wanted to know if you guys could point to a cheap android phone (unlocked). I would like to be able to install jelly bean, but anything that could handle 4.0 is ok.

My budget is 150$USD.

Thanks!

for that budget, an Optimus One or Optimus Net... but if you can get to ~$250 you could get an Atrix or Optimus 2x

tino

Banned

My budget is 150$USD.

Thanks!

Just get ICS. Most community ports of JB on phones thatsnot Galaxy Nexus are really incomplete.

Ashhong

For a $150 phone? He can buy a S2 with broken screen maybe?

Plus JB doesn't have ICS browser+ and flash, I wouldn't beta test for google.

No I wasn't suggesting the S2 for him, just the Nexus S. Maybe find a used one at that price? Not sure anymore.

Who needs flash..and you can sideload. I would assume the same for Browser+ but iduno.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Does anyone use a media server on their phone, for example to stream videos and photos to a PS3?

twonky works...but the GS3, TF300, and Iconia all had pre-loaded programs that stream to DNLA devices.

rozay

Banned

My budget is 150$USD.

Thanks!
Where do you live? Cheapest phone that will run 4.0 and 4.1 well is the Nexus S right now.

Sagitario

Is there an app that can do back ups and restoring like Titanium, but without rooting?

I mostly want to restore app settings, not the app (I would do a clean install).

I will probably get a new phone in the next few days, but I won't be rooting it immediately (because of the warranty).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom