• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Hey gaf, got an s3 not too long ago, what is some cool shit i can do with it and some good/useful apps to have? :D been with apple so long im very unfamiliar with the motions of having android

rozay

Banned
I doubt Sony has any top tier new shit. They are always half year slower than everyone else.
Yeah not expecting too much from their IFA in terms of high end phones. Probably the xperia GX and a variety of other mid or low end phones. They need to move twice as fast to catch up to the fast pace their competitors are moving at.
htc-proto_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg
HTC Proto. Seems lower end than the One S; dual core snapdragon at 1GHz, 5mp camera, wvga 4 inch screen. Was never really a fan of that style of back cover design other than nokia's old flagship camera phones.

I'm searching for a decent 4x1 or 5x1 (5 columns, 1 row) Facebook widget. Does it exist? Because I'm about given up.

Also, for any rooters/ROMers, if I want to keep my app collection, texts, etc. or at least restore them after flashing a new ROM, how do you do it?

3phemeral

Question for Transformer (or new Android tablet) owners. Can you plug in a regular usb mouse?

And can you edit "maps.google.com" on any browser? I don't mean displaying it. I need to be able to edit the "my places". This is fast becoming the only thing I need a Windows machine to do.

I've been able to use my USB mouse for my tf101 just fine.

Swag

Hey gaf, got an s3 not too long ago, what is some cool shit i can do with it and some good/useful apps to have? :D been with apple so long im very unfamiliar with the motions of having android
I was in a similar position as you, I'll give you some suggestions.

- Get Apex / Nova to try out alternative launcher styles

- Get Pocket, sharing links on Android are quite good, the app really shines if you tend to read anything on your phone

- Flipbook for aggregating all your social / news feeds in one place, also looks great on the S3 screen

- Get an alternate Keyboard, Swiftkey has a trial or you can sign up for the Swype Beta

- Try out the different SMS client, GoSMS and handcent are the two popular ones.

- Catch is a great note taking app as S Memo imo sucks, and Astrid is a great to-do list app with lots of plug ins

Evening all, hoping I find my answer here.

I just got an MK802 II (ICS) to setup as a media player for the wife's TV. Have a NAS with all of our pics/music/movies which I've been able to browse and access with no problems. My issue is I'm also trying to run PlayOn to stream Hulu, Crackle ect. MX Player does the job when it comes to regular video, but the built in player (tvplayer I think its called?) plays the PlayOn streams perfectly.

So my question: Is there a program I can use to force MX Player as default for all video file EXCEPT PlayOn? Obviously also making the player that it comes with ONLY play PlayOn?

I've been searching for a while but haven't found a solution.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Flipboard is pretty great. I stopped using Currents before due to a lot of images appearing in really low resolution. Don't know if that's been fixed or not.

Flipboard is pretty great.

It's a love/hate thing with Flipboard. It's not supported on my Tegra 3 tablet at all but works on my less powerful tablet. I've used it on ipad and my phone, but it never auto updates despite having the settings on auto update. If I see a story flash on the widget, I go to open it and then it updates. Knocks the original story I wanted to read into the abyss.

Current has it's flaws but at least I have it set up where I can read stories directly from a source and not a category.

Alright, I fixed it! For posterity - you may need to reinstall the adb files, and then reinstall cwm via USB. After that, go ahead and turn off the phone, then turn it back on. At the Sony Ericsson logo, repeatedly tap down volume. That should do it. If all else fails, use flash tool to go back to stock 2.3.3, then do the steps above.

EDIT: Wifi module goes into the main section of your sdcard, still zipped, not in a folder. Don't forget to run that from cwm as well.

Angst

IIRC, no because of the API's in JB that are required to run it. Even us on ICS can't run it because of the backend that is involved.

There's a Google Now apk for ICS available on XDA, so I doubt it has to do with JB specific APIs.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
docomojojo.jpg

you know you want it

--------------------------------------------------------

Shortest shelf life ever?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/08/23/t-mobile-is-canceling-the-galaxy-note/

After disappearing from T-Mobile's own website and appearing as backordered on others, a matter we posted on just a bit earlier today, we've heard from a very reliable industry source that T-Mobile is putting the Galaxy Note on "EOL" (end of life). We have every reason to believe this person (though they spoke on condition of anonymity), and today's events make it pretty obvious that's what's going on. The EOL date is estimated around November 1st, though that remains subject to change based on how quickly T-Mobile's remaining inventory is depleted.

The Galaxy Note for T-Mobile's was confirmed all the way back in April. By May, a July release was rumored, but half of July came and went. Finally, on July 16, T-Mobile announced the Note, with most everyone knowing full-well that Samsung would be unveiling its successor at the IFA show in Berlin at the end of August. The Note 2 has even been hinted at in a teaser video for Samsung's Mobile Unpacked event at the show.

And, let's be honest, we were all thinking it: How could T-Mobile justify launching the original Note as a "new phone" nearly a year after its release? Especially with the announcement of its successor in such close proximity. It just didn't make sense.

Apparently, someone at T-Mobile (or Samsung, possibly) agreed.

Pctx

Banned
There's a Google Now apk for ICS available on XDA, so I doubt it has to do with JB specific APIs.

just the APK doesn't work properly, you need like a 30MB install of various files for it to be fully functional in ICS.

Precisely. It's not a straight up .apk install like previous features have been. Then again, if you're on XDA (like I am) you shouldn't be scared of hacking up your phone. For the general masses though, it remains to be seen on whether or not Google wants to share those API's with older versions of Android just to move people up the food chain.

That happen to me sometimes. On Titanium, change the app processing mode to indirect and you should be fine.

That seems to have worked. Thanks!

just the APK doesn't work properly, you need like a 30MB install of various files for it to be fully functional in ICS.

I have Google Now on my SGS i9000 running ICS and all I did was flash the file here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=29756226) and I got Google Now. It crashed often and the back button wouldn't close the app but at least it worked I guess.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah not expecting too much from their IFA in terms of high end phones. Probably the xperia GX and a variety of other mid or low end phones. They need to move twice as fast to catch up to the fast pace their competitors are moving at.
HTC Proto. Seems lower end than the One S; dual core snapdragon at 1GHz, 5mp camera, wvga 4 inch screen. Was never really a fan of that style of back cover design other than nokia's old flagship camera phones.

What I don't get is they already have the One V for a tier lower than the One S. So what does this mean for the One V???

PS: I hope we get a bunch of announcements of Jelly Bean being pushed to phones at IFA even if we don't see a many newerish high end phones.

What I don't get is they already have the One V for a tier lower than the One S. So what does this mean for the One V???

PS: I hope we get a bunch of announcements of Jelly Bean being pushed to phones at IFA even if we don't see a many newerish high end phones.

They had to release the Proto, because the One V is getting the shit kicked out of it by the Xperia U/Sola and Galaxy Ace Plus/S Advance all of which are in the same kind of pricing bracket but offer dual core.

Ah okay, well it would definitely be a shame if Google Now were never to be released for older versions, but I guess they need to give people a reason to upgrade. Bleh. Hate this fragmentation shit. If I understand correctly though, Google is releasing it on iOS and almost every iPhone will basically be able to run it, right?

Ah okay, well it would definitely be a shame if Google Now were never to be released for older versions, but I guess they need to give people a reason to upgrade. Bleh. Hate this fragmentation shit. If I understand correctly though, Google is releasing it on iOS and almost every iPhone will basically be able to run it, right?

that's similar, but not really the same thing.

Chris R

Is there anything special I need to do to enable USB OTG for my Galaxy SII on ICS? I thought this would be a simple plug and play now that I'm on ICS but all I see when I plug in my OTG adapter is "USB Connector Connected"

Just want to get my Sixaxis controller working :<

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is there anything special I need to do to enable USB OTG for my Galaxy SII on ICS? I thought this would be a simple plug and play now that I'm on ICS but all I see when I plug in my OTG adapter is "USB Connector Connected"

Just want to get my Sixaxis controller working :<

Couldn't you just root and use bluetooth? Any particular reason you want to avoid rooting?

Chris R

Couldn't you just root and use bluetooth? Any particular reason you want to avoid rooting?

I guess I could. I just don't know how to root and don't want to end up with a brick. Is there a way to just root without having to choose a rom to use? I just want the controller to work, not need to flash some random no name rom.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I guess I could. I just don't know how to root and don't want to end up with a brick. Is there a way to just root without having to choose a rom to use? I just want the controller to work, not need to flash some random no name rom.

Which GS2 do you have?

DEO3

I bought my wife a Nexus S for her birthday and I want to update it to Jellybean. The sticker behind the battery lists it an i9020t model, but in the settings menu the Baseband version is listed as i9020aucke1. Which one is correct? I don't want to brick her new phone by flashing anything wrong.

Radio and baseband can be updated separately from firmware. Just make sure the JB ROM you are flashing doesn't include a baseband if you don't want to update the one you are using. However since this is presumably a GSM Nexus S, updating the radio and baseband will be harmless so it's okay if that happens.

Chris R

Which GS2 do you have?

I think it is just a regular old GT-I9100 but it is running my cell providers custom 4.0.3 rom.

edit: but yea, I'd be down for trying, but there is just so much confusing info out there when it comes to rooting, and I don't want to break my phone (I'd owe my provider $600 if I did :| ) so I haven't tried it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom