• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
go to settings > accessibility and turn off talkback.

I knew that part, but after I turned it off, it still talks. It goes back to talking when I'm using any app that isn't formatted for tablets like Flipbook. Basically when I see the expand app button in the corner it starts yappin.

Images-2012-8-22-sony704(2).jpg

Sony's cancelled NXT tablet on the right.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Why is anyone giving that story an ounce of credibility?

IDK but everyone who's anyone picked on the story. Normally I'd wonder about the site as well, but all the big Android blogs as well as all the big tech blogs picked up on the story.

At any rate I was wondering for those of you with Nexus devices running stock Jelly Bean I have a few questions about Google Now since it's been a bit for people to get a real gauge.

1st off how many calls and how often does Google Now try and send out? Is it a constant pinging thing? Is it on a call timer you can set like say mail checking every 5 mins or 30 mins or every hour or whatever? How much data does it end up blowing through doing all of this as well?

Also how bad of a battery drain is it? Does having Google Now constantly pulling all of this cool shit to you kill your battery or is this a non issue?

tino

Banned
So I was browsing kickstarters (and donated 10 bux to the Tesla museum project) and I came across another OUYA like box.

http://shop.infinitec.com/

Its called pocket TV and what it is, its basically a slower OUYA with full android play store access and IR port! and you can buy the remote with Wii-like directional control. However the chip is a single A9 core, which is alot slower than the OUYA 4XA9 nVidia soc.

Its probably still better than Google TV though. If I can get MLB, NFL apps work on it, plus XBMC and Diceplayer, its better than google TV already.

This gadget has convinced me there is no way there won't be another consolidation in the smart set top box space. I am sitting out this year.

jobber

So I was browsing kickstarters (and donated 10 bux to the Tesla museum project) and I came across another OUYA like box.

Its called pocket TV and what it is, its basically a slower OUYA with full android play store access and IR port! and you can buy the remote with Wii-like directional control. However the chip is a single A9 core, which is alot slower than the OUYA 4XA9 nVidia soc.

Its probably still better than Google TV though. If I can get MLB, NFL apps work on it, plus XBMC and Diceplayer, its better than google TV already.

This gadget has convinced me there is no way there won't be another consolidation in the smart set top box space. I am sitting out this year.

Google TV isn't that bad. The only part I'm disappointed about GTV is the flash player. It's hit or miss. If I load up a site like firstrowsports, all the flash ads and shit ends up killing the browser before the actual stream window starts. The 3.2 update kind of fixes that but the Chrome browser becomes unresponsive.

The apps aren't plenty and I think that's because the revue's storage size is 500mbs withno way to expand it. I sideloaded Google+ on there and it was eating 150mbs. Play Music's album art glitch eats up another 300mbs. I basically just use the revue to stream mkv files off my NAS now.

Massa

You can find plenty of those type of boxes on Chinese websites, the problem is software support usually sucks. It's kind of why I'll probably buy an OUYA if it ever comes out, it will probably have a decent sized community to maintain a decent AOSP port.

Edit: forgot to mention that Raspberry PI managed to gather a decently sized community around itself, but with only 256MB it's pretty much useless.

Ecrofirt

Would someone be able to point me towards a good guide from printing from an Android Tablet?

One of my computer clients recently bought a Galaxy Tab 7.7, and she wants to be able to use it to print her business-related documents.

I've got no idea how to go about doing this exactly, but I do know some specifics about her situation:

* She has a wireless HP printer that's on her home network.
* She would also like to bring the laptop to her vacation home in South Carolina, where she has another wireless printer (but no permanent PC in place).

From what I looked around and found, I know I'm going to need some kind of app installation to get stuff done. Problem is, I'm not sure what exactly I'll need. Is it a situation where I need an app on the phone as well as an application on the PC? And is there any way I can print without needing a PC?

Am I way off base?

gcubed

most of the wireless printers, if they don't support google cloud print, have software on the respective markets to hook a device into a printer. I was recently playing around with a canon that was set up like that.

Would someone be able to point me towards a good guide from printing from an Android Tablet?

One of my computer clients recently bought a Galaxy Tab 7.7, and she wants to be able to use it to print her business-related documents.

I've got no idea how to go about doing this exactly, but I do know some specifics about her situation:

* She would also like to bring the laptop to her vacation home in South Carolina, where she has another wireless printer (but no permanent PC in place).

From what I looked around and found, I know I'm going to need some kind of app installation to get stuff done. Problem is, I'm not sure what exactly I'll need. Is it a situation where I need an app on the phone as well as an application on the PC? And is there any way I can print without needing a PC?

Am I way off base?
first thing we'd need to know is the model numbers of the printers, but there's an HP printing app on the Play Store.

jobber

Am I way off base?

Check Cloud Print plug in for Chrome. You can actually set it up in Chrome on the pc/mac. If the printer is wired to the computer, it can be registered using cloud print.

So lets say your Cannon isn't network enabled but it's ready to work with your pc via USB. You can set up cloud print in Chrome to let that Cannon printer work in the cloud via Chrome. Of course you would need a pc on with Chrome running in the background to work but that's an option. I use Cloud Print with Google Drive/Docs on my tablet at home so I can print to my printer at work.

[/lazy]

one_kill

Can quad core Android tablets handle 10bit mkv files? From what I've read, it seems to be a hit or miss, and may require converting and/or settings configuration.

Samsung Galaxy S II 4G -> Boost @ $369.99 on September 6th. it's a rebranded Sprint Samsung Galaxy S II, Epic 4G Touch

Samsung Galaxy Rush -> Boost @ $149.99 in September. Android 4.0, 3.5" display, and 3MP rear and 1.3MP front camera

Samsung Galaxy Reverb -> Virgin @ $249.99 in September. Android 4.0, 4" WVGA display, 1.4GHz processor, 5MP rear and 1.3MP front cameras.

iU5n6.jpg
H3C1Y.jpg
Wqidv.jpg

are those ... dedicated camera buttons on the Rush and Reverb!?

Hardware Menu button? FUMD!

Stock-ish Android on the Reverb? say it ain't so...

Its the Samsung Way™.

Don't get your hopes up, the hands-on on Engadget show touchwiz on the reverb.

indeed. well, at least those right side buttons are all but confirmed to be dedicated camera buttons.

edit: but strangely, the androidcentral hands on pics look stock-ish like the screenshot

ep85

indeed. well, at least those right side buttons are all but confirmed to be dedicated camera buttons.

edit: but strangely, the androidcentral hands on pics look stock-ish like the screenshot

Maybe they will *gasp* let the consumer choose which launcher they want to use.

The article on ACentral says it'll shit with touchwiz though.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I dont think it looks that nice in that tablet form factor to be honest. I suppose nobody's going to mistake that for an iPad though!
Kind of looks like one of their TV's shrunk down, which may or may not be practical at all, given the assymetry when it's held in portrait - I'm a sucker for the squared off edges though :) V nice.

tino

Banned
Question for Transformer (or new Android tablet) owners. Can you plug in a regular usb mouse?

And can you edit "maps.google.com" on any browser? I don't mean displaying it. I need to be able to edit the "my places". This is fast becoming the only thing I need a Windows machine to do.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So for some reason Chrome has been fucking up for me lately. Sometimes a tab will stop being responsive, and then when I click to switch tabs and close out my current tab I just get this black bar up top where it says select new tab coupled with a blank white screen at the bottom.

I basically have to kill Chrome and restart, and then everything works again. Kind of annoying. Found what appears to be a discussion about in on the google groups.

PS: WTF at the Android version of FireFox not having Copy and Paste support. LOL

Okay, so I'm trying to backup my phone so I can flash a new ROM (Xperia NXT, to be precise).

One problem - my phone isn't supported by ClockworkMod, as it has no officially supported ClockworkMod Recovery. Any other options?

Sony have announced 1,000 job cuts in Sweden this morning. All in hardware R&D, they are moving all hardware R&D to Tokyo. Software development is going to remain in Lund because they have a good thing going.

This means we will get the first true Sony phone late in 2013, something that has been designed fully in house. There are also rumours hotting up that they will make a move for ST-Ericsson soon, bringing an SoC designer in house. Ericsson have wanted out for a while and STM need the cash so a bid would be accepted.

Okay, so I'm trying to backup my phone so I can flash a new ROM (Xperia NXT, to be precise).

One problem - my phone isn't supported by ClockworkMod, as it has no officially supported ClockworkMod Recovery. Any other options?

4ext?

Doesn't support my phone - I have a Verizon Xperia Play (R800x), and this thing is a pain to get a new ROM on.

I was trying for this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1416470

And at Step 3, this is all I get:

For the record, I had already pressed any key once. And it never shows a SuperUser request on my phone, so I don't know what it wants from me. When I press any key again, it just closes on me. This is straining my patience; I can't figure out how to flash a ROM on this garbage phone (it's on Android 2.3.3, by the way - I had flashed it back from 2.3.4 so that I could root it).

Doopliss

Doesn't support my phone - I have a Verizon Xperia Play (R800x), and this thing is a pain to get a new ROM on.

I was trying for this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1416470

And at Step 3, this is all I get:

For the record, I had already pressed any key once. And it never shows a SuperUser request on my phone, so I don't know what it wants from me. When I press any key again, it just closes on me. This is straining my patience; I can't figure out how to flash a ROM on this garbage phone (it's on Android 2.3.3, by the way - I had flashed it back from 2.3.4 so that I could root it).
You need to set up ADB on your PC. See this guide.

It looks like it finished installing CWM, which is what Step 3 is supposed to do in the guide you were following... so, Step 4?

You have installed CWM!

Try CM9 from FXP. I have heard great things about it.

Excellent! But for Step 4, where am I putting the file? If it's supposed to be on my phone, then I don't see where - I've turned on USB storage and headed to the folder titled "clockworkmod," but I don't see any folder or anything titled "backup," and I wouldn't know how to boot up Clockworkmod Recovery from my phone (steps 5 & 6).

(Also, I'd try out CM9, but it messes up the gamepad... not that I use it for much beyond OnLive).

EDIT:

This is what I've got:

Excellent! But for Step 4, where am I putting the file? If it's supposed to be on my phone, then I don't see where - I've turned on USB storage and headed to the folder titled "clockworkmod," but I don't see any folder or anything titled "backup," and I wouldn't know how to boot up Clockworkmod Recovery from my phone (steps 5 & 6).

(Also, I'd try out CM9, but it messes up the gamepad... not that I use it for much beyond OnLive).

Huh?

You just put the zip file in the sd root directory so it is easy to navigate to in CWM.

Also don't forget to make a Nandroid backup and make sure you clear enough space for it.

Huh?

You just put the zip file in the sd root directory so it is easy to navigate to in CWM.

Also don't forget to make a Nandroid backup and make sure you clear enough space for it.

I meant I have no idea how to open CWM from my phone.

ROM Manager doesn't work for me, 4ext doesn't support my phone... I've no clue what to do from here, and working with a locked bootloader is helping me none.

And (as you can tell) I'm rather new at this.

Doopliss

EDIT:

This is what I've got:
You just make a new folder called "backup". I'm not sure how to boot into recovery mode on your phone. It's normally done by holding down a button while powering on. You should be able to find out how by Googling.

Huh?

He's talking about a nandroid backup zip, not a ROM zip.

tino

Banned
I meant I have no idea how to open CWM from my phone.

ROM Manager doesn't work for me, 4ext doesn't support my phone... I've no clue what to do from here, and working with a locked bootloader is helping me none.

And (as you can tell) I'm rather new at this.

Different phone models or the same model with different roms have different ways to install bootleader/flash tool. You are better of asking that question in the specific xda forum.

Thanks guys... I'm presently thinking that flashing Doomlord's kernel would be the best idea.

That sound good or no (don't wanna brick my phone)?

EDIT: I've got it! Thanks for your help, everyone!

Just bought a Galaxy Nexus and I'm trying to restore my apps and data from my Samsung Galaxy i9000 (both are rooted) . I've backed up all my stuff with Titanium Backup and when I try to sync with Google Drive or Dropbox it stops and fails at usually 5 percent or after 20 minutes. Other times it doesn't tell why but once it told me one of the files (which had Amazon in the name, probably my Kindle) was too big.

Anyway, does anyone know a manual way to do this or a way to bypass the file limit? The Gnex not having an SD card slot makes this a lot trickier.

You can find plenty of those type of boxes on Chinese websites, the problem is software support usually sucks. It's kind of why I'll probably buy an OUYA if it ever comes out, it will probably have a decent sized community to maintain a decent AOSP port.

Edit: forgot to mention that Raspberry PI managed to gather a decently sized community around itself, but with only 256MB it's pretty much useless.

ive got a rasp pi...works fine for xbmc playing 1080p mkv's...well worth the money if you can get one

tino

Banned
Just bought a Galaxy Nexus and I'm trying to restore my apps and data from my Samsung Galaxy i9000 (both are rooted) . I've backed up all my stuff with Titanium Backup and when I try to sync with Google Drive or Dropbox it stops and fails at usually 5 percent or after 20 minutes. Other times it doesn't tell why but once it told me one of the files (which had Amazon in the name, probably my Kindle) was too big.

Anyway, does anyone know a manual way to do this or a way to bypass the file limit? The Gnex not having an SD card slot makes this a lot trickier.

That happen to me sometimes. On Titanium, change the app processing mode to indirect and you should be fine.

tino

Banned
Amazon press event on Sept. 6th. New Kindles incoming!

Aug 30 for Galaxy Note II
Sep 5 for Moto Razr HD; Nokia WP8 phone
Sep 6 for Kindle
Sep 12 for iPhone 5

Love it.

Who else are we missing?
maybe a HTC or LG 5" phone running on quadcore S4 pro.
I hope B&N sneak in a Nook announcement as well.

popeutlal

Aug 30 for Galaxy Note II
Sep 5 for Moto Razr HD; Nokia WP8 phone
Sep 6 for Kindle
Sep 12 for iPhone 5

Love it.

Who else are we missing?
maybe a HTC or LG 5" phone running for quadcore S4 pro.
I hope B&N sneak in a Nook announcement as well.
Aug. 29, Sony conference. Plus the IFA show in Berlin...crap load of new stuff to be shown in the next two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom