• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
Well I'd rather have whatever it is iOS is getting than nothing =/

You already have what iOS is getting:

Building the search engine of the future, one baby step at a time | Official Google Blog
Often the most natural way to ask a question is by asking aloud. So we’ve combined our speech recognition expertise, understanding of language and the Knowledge Graph so that Voice Search can better interpret your questions and sometimes speak the answers back as full sentences. This has been available on Android for a few weeks and people love it. It’ll soon be available on your iPhone or iPad (iOS version 4.2+).
Perform a google search on any android phone and the result in the browser will include a knowledge graph result where applicable.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
But iOS is getting spoken answers and older Android versions only get Google results, right? Or is there some update to Google search for older Androids? I don't see it in the Play Store o_O

If your phone is more than 6 months old and not a Nexus, you are using a legacy device. All iPhones have the same specs except for the flash memory.

DEO3

Radio and baseband can be updated separately from firmware. Just make sure the JB ROM you are flashing doesn't include a baseband if you don't want to update the one you are using. However since this is presumably a GSM Nexus S, updating the radio and baseband will be harmless so it's okay if that happens.

Could you go into a little more detail about this?

We were planning on using it with an AT&T compatible SIM from Straight Talk, and when I slapped mine in her phone it seemed to work fine, even though the phone appears to be a 9020t - is that because it has 9020a software? When I update to Jellybean, should I update it with a 9020t update, or a 9020a update?

cube444

Hi guys. My contract is ending very soon and I've had enough of the iPhone. I plan on going month to month until next spring because I'll have a better selection of android phones to choose from then. I know of the Nexus, HTC One-X and S3 now but what phones of desirability are also coming out that I should consider?

Beez

Banned
I have a question about getting a Samsung phone. I was in the store today and the salesman told me I should hurry because all Samsung phones will be banned soon?? He said my only choice would be iPhone or Windows phone if I wait too long is this true?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hi guys. My contract is ending very soon and I've had enough of the iPhone. I plan on going month to month until next spring because I'll have a better selection of android phones to choose from then. I know of the Nexus, HTC One-X and S3 now but what phones of desirability are also coming out that I should consider?

Only thing we know is coming is a sequel to the Samsung Galaxy Note. We shall get a new Nexus device, but we don't really know when.

tino

Banned

The next HTC flagship phone that will use quadcore S4 Pro. New iPhone. Thats about it for this year.

Only thing we know is coming is a sequel to the Samsung Galaxy Note. We shall get a new Nexus device, but we don't really know when.

Droid Razr. LG Optimus G.

I have a question about getting a Samsung phone. I was in the store today and the salesman told me I should hurry because all Samsung phones will be banned soon?? He said my only choice would be iPhone or Windows phone if I wait too long is this true?

Lol seriously if I knew who this guy was I'd tell his manager and get him fired for being a fucking idiot.

rozay

Banned
Who said the nexus S was old news?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/26/3269910/nasa-phonesat-android-smartphone-satellite

here's perhaps no better example of that "do more with less" mantra than the PhoneSat project, the goal of which is to build the lowest-cost and easiest to assemble satellites ever placed into orbit. To create such a thing, engineers have turned to off-the-shelf consumer gadgets for parts, harnessing the internals of Google's Nexus hardware as the brains of the operation.

"Powered by Android"

They're starting small, however: the mission of PhoneSat 1.0 — powered by a Nexus One — is merely to stay alive for a short period of time and beam pictures of space back to ground control. All the while, the nanosatellite will be monitoring its own health and keeping NASA scientists informed of any mal-effects space has on its hardware.

"It takes $3,500 to build a PhoneSat"

PhoneSat 2.0 expands on those capabilities thanks to faster hardware. A Nexus S will serve as its core, with other upgrades including a two-way S-band radio (allowing engineers to control the satellite from Earth), solar panels to enable longer flights, and a GPS transponder. Building on PhoneSat's foundation will permit mission designers to more affordably launch satellites for a variety of purposes, according to NASA. Examples include testing new technologies / components for space flight and conducting inexpensive observations of Earth

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Alleged Note II specs:

samsung-galaxy-note-2-580x496.jpg

Samsung’s Galaxy Note 2 phablet is believed to be only days from its official release, but a Korean newspaper claims to have jumped the gun on what, exactly, the stylus-toting handset will bring to the table. The Note 2 GT-N7100 will have a 5.5-inch 1280 x 720 display, so the Seoul Newspaper claims, along with 3G/4G connectivity and a 1.4GHz quadcore Exynos 4412 processor. Somewhat surprisingly, it’s also tipped to arrive running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, not the older Ice Cream Sandwich.

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-note-2-specs-allegedly-leak-in-full-27244030/

Talon

Let me translate that for you:

Android 4.1.1
5.5 Super Amoled
Exonys 4412 (1.4 Ghz Quadcore)
1280x720 resolution
8 Megapixel camera
16 GB/32 GB
3G/4G LTE
16 by 9 ratio
S pen compatible
Samsung Video Hub
Tall and wide (literally the word for "obese"), thin and light!

rozay

Banned
Let me translate that for you:

Android 4.1.1
5.5 Super Amoled
Exonys 4412 (1.4 Ghz Quadcore)
1280x720 resolution
8 Megapixel camera
16 GB/32 GB
3G/4G LTE
16 by 9 ratio
S pen compatible
Samsung Video Hub
Tall and wide (literally the word for "obese"), thin and light!
goodnight sweet prince

tino

Banned
If there is enough euro gaf who want to buy it, we should make a thread. But with that spec I doubt anyone will buy it.

We should make a over 5" phone thread and discuss the new Lenovo k860 instead. That phone is great for the money.

Talon

If there is enough euro gaf who want to buy it, we should make a thread. But with that spec I doubt anyone will buy it.

We should make a over 5" phone thread and discuss the new Lenovo k860 instead. That phone is great for the money.
I will personally cut off your left foot if you use the word "phablet."

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I just picked up a HTC One S, but I'm wondering - how do you guys carry around smartphones? Especially the bigger ones? I've had a regular old cell phone until now, and even that I found a bit annoying to carry around in my pocket. Do you guys carry it around in a bag?

Also, any case recommendation for the One S? Should I go silicone, plastic, leather?

Vanillalite

I just picked up a HTC One S, but I'm wondering - how do you guys carry around smartphones? Especially the bigger ones? I've had a regular old cell phone until now, and even that I found a bit annoying to carry around in my pocket. Do you guys carry it around in a bag?

Also, any case recommendation for the One S? Should I go silicone, plastic, leather?

I just put it in my pocket like always. You'll get use to it. I do carry around a bag, but I never put my phone in there. I just put my Chromebook, 3ds, glasses case, pill case headphones etc... in there.

PS: Google Music just updates on the desktop for me and wants me to re sign in. Wish I knew wtf the update did though.

rozay

Banned

Bigger smartphones actually end up being wider and thinner and fit better in my pocket than the phones from older days.

Donos

Don't buy silicone cases. You will have problems getting it out and into your pockets.
I like case mate's "barely there" models because they are really thin. Bought an exact clone of Amazon (9€) for my One X. Had an original model for my Desire HD and Samsung Wave.

Here's a vid for your One S (don't mind the color :)
)

Gigglepoo

Is anyone else having issues with their Amazon MP3 app? I know Amazon cut down the number of songs you can store in your cloud (down to 5 gigs), but the only songs I can see on my phone are those I've downloaded from Amazon. But when I log in on my PC, my whole library is there (I guess it's under 5 gigs).

I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do. Very strange.

EDIT -- I think I'm just going to switch to Google Music. This thing is dumb.

cube444

Some more news on the LG Optimus G:

The True HD IPS+ will offer up a 1280 x 768 resolution, near 320 pixels per inch (PPI), and pump out 470 nits of brightness. To make the display even more impressive, it can achieve these feats while consuming up to 70% less power when displaying a white background.

Link

Is anyone else having issues with their Amazon MP3 app? I know Amazon cut down the number of songs you can store in your cloud (down to 5 gigs), but the only songs I can see on my phone are those I've downloaded from Amazon. But when I log in on my PC, my whole library is there (I guess it's under 5 gigs).

I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do. Very strange.

EDIT -- I think I'm just going to switch to Google Music. This thing is dumb.

Welcome to the fold.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, I gave up on Amazon. Plus the uploader is crap. All my music is on Google. I still get my music from Amazon mostly, though, unless Google is throwing their crazy $2.99 deals.

That new RAZR phone brings up a good point I think.

If it's not a flagship phone, should we even care?

I mean

Galaxy Nexus (Insanely Great Stock Android)
RAZR MAXX (Insane Battery)
HTC One X (Insane Screen)
Samsung Galaxy SIII (Insane Everything Else)

BOOM, only phones to care about in Android ever (until the next flagships)

I mean there are some insanely great deals from Amazon, Walmart, Radioshack, etc...

Why do I care about qHD 4.3 inch Razr M? I dunno, with the good deals i feel like there shouldn't even be a mid-market.

Only low end (read: free w/ contract) and Flagship, that's it.

Vanillalite

That thing is basically the Atrix HD, and it's coming out later. Plus the Atrix HD launched at $99 already anyways.

At this point I just don't see the reasoning behind it.

PS: One thing that Sammy gets right is they don't fuck around with a ton of phones. They just create one phone, and then release that on all carriers. They learned that's better with the GS2 verses different things with the GS1. Most companies need to follow suit, and have just 1 phone or 2 (if they want a high and a low) and just have the same thing across all carriers.

Cipherr

That new RAZR phone brings up a good point I think.

If it's not a flagship phone, should we even care?

I mean

Galaxy Nexus (Insanely Great Stock Android)
RAZR MAXX (Insane Battery)
HTC One X (Insane Screen)
Samsung Galaxy SIII (Insane Everything Else)

BOOM, only phones to care about in Android ever (until the next flagships)

I mean there are some insanely great deals from Amazon, Walmart, Radioshack, etc...

Why do I care about qHD 4.3 inch Razr M? I dunno, with the good deals i feel like there shouldn't even be a mid-market.

Only low end (read: free w/ contract) and Flagship, that's it.

There are people that want and buy them, even if you don't. As long as its not hurting anyone, having more options is always a positive IMO. High end, Low end and everything in between. Not to mention, there is the need to get low and mid tier phones on LTE. These fill that need.

PS: One thing that Sammy gets right is they don't fuck around with a ton of phones. They just create one phone, and then release that on all carriers. They learned that's better with the GS2 verses different things with the GS1.

As mentioned below, you are sort of framing this like Samsung has done that multiple times. They havent, the S3 was the first manu to pull that off on that scale, and it came after they gained tremendous clout with the S2.

Talon

That thing is basically the Atrix HD, and it's coming out later. Plus the Atrix HD launched at $99 already anyways.

At this point I just don't see the reasoning behind it.

PS: One thing that Sammy gets right is they don't fuck around with a ton of phones. They just create one phone, and then release that on all carriers. They learned that's better with the GS2 verses different things with the GS1. Most companies need to follow suit, and have just 1 phone or 2 (if they want a high and a low) and just have the same thing across all carriers.
Samsung has much more bargaining power with the carriers than other Android OEMs. I mean, hell, the GS3 was the first time they released the phone without carrier branding all up on the front, and they managed a simultaneous release on all four carriers.

HTC wishes it could pull that shit.

tino

Banned
I have said it before, right now your mid/low range phones doesn't matter. All it matter is your halo flapship phone. If you don't bring you A game and load it up in your halo phone, the rest of your line up won't sale.

LG and Sony still don't get this. Motorola probably get this, but they are in transition so I will cut they so slack. They didn't even bother to make a flagship phone this year.

rozay

Banned
I have said it before, right now your mid/low range phones doesn't matter. All it matter is your halo flapship phone. If you don't bring you A game and load it up in your halo phone, the rest of your line up won't sale.

LG and Sony still don't get this. Motorola probably get this, but they are in transition so I will cut they so slack. They didn't even bother to make a flagship phone this year.
This has always been the case, hasn't it? Nokia and sony ericsson of olden times always had flagships to get people looking at the brand even if those were the consumers who purchased lower end phones. The problem with low margin low end phones now is it's too difficult to compete with Chinese companies that can offer dual sim models at half the price.

Bootlegsnackz, you may think that none of these non-flagship phones matter, but the biggest selling galaxy phone so far in the states was a prepaid variant, wasn't it?

As far as Samsung releasing the same GS3 on all carriers, it has less to do with Samsung "learning" that it would be more successful than it does earning the ability to do so from the carriers. American carriers always have to stick their hands in any phone that releases on their network, and I guess samsung's line was successful enough that it's finally getting marketed on its own terms rather than as the "sprint hyper epic galaxy S3 touch" it truly is a milestone for them though in terms of brand identity here.

Massa

Do the people saying you want only flagship phones realize how much you're paying for an S3 and the like? That thing is close to a thousand dollars, it's ridiculous.

tino

Banned
Do the people saying you want only flagship phones realize how much you're paying for an S3 and the like? That thing is close to a thousand dollars, it's ridiculous.

Thats because the way the US wireless contract is constructed you would be an idiot if you don't get the top end phone. Going with a mid tier phone can only save you 50-100 bux.

In a classic prepaid market, it make a lot more sense to get a mid tier phone and save at lease 200-250 compare to a top phone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Apple has the right idea of make only one phone model a year and drop the price when next year's model is out.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
mid-low tier phones are for people 45+ years of age that will buy anything the salesman pushes down their neck. I've seen this happen to people I work with.

This guy was so hype that he got the original Droid for $20 but once I told him that phone was end of life and it was 2 newer versions that were released, he got sad. Basic users just want to make phone calls and try to look cool at the same time. I talk to people on a daily basis where they don't know how to use an iPhone but they bought it because they want to be "cool".

So if you're wondering why phone makers make those cheap dumbed down versions of their flagship, that's why.

I also know this lady in her 50s that has a Galaxy Nexus. She's had it for a good 6 months now and has never setup a google account because it's too difficult to understand. She didn't even know it could get LTE or open the browser.

Vanillalite

Apple has the right idea of make only one phone model a year and drop the price when next year's model is out.

I'd agree, but I need to see what the iPhone 5 brings.

It was easy with the iPhone 4 because it basically was the exact same thing as the 4S just older in most people's minds. I'll be interested to see how the 4S does at $99 if the iPhone 5 seems like a bigger step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom