• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking they are going to tier their nexus phones...and Samsung will be happy to oblige in keeping the S3 their flagship phone until the S4 arrives....

Google is smart because they can continue to sell the nexus for cheap. Only thing that confuses me is the addition of the micro SD slot since Google is so hard core on not having it in any device. Hopefully its the same SD slot that is in the S3.

I'm still disappointed a little but I'm hopeful that they will Max out the specs on an Xperia Nexus.

Seems like that will be the flagship given the now great relationship between Sony and Google.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'll hopefully be getting a new phone in the next day or two (Sprint), but I'm not sure that I like how big the Galaxy SIII and Evo 4G LTE are. I've been using an original Evo 4G and the larger footprint of the two newer phones just seems a bit unwieldy. Any recommendations on smaller Android phones that Sprint uses? I may end up getting the Galaxy SIII anyway but I want to make sure I do a bit of research first.

Toki767

I'll hopefully be getting a new phone in the next day or two (Sprint), but I'm not sure that I like how big the Galaxy SIII and Evo 4G LTE are. I've been using an original Evo 4G and the larger footprint of the two newer phones just seems a bit unwieldy. Any recommendations on smaller Android phones that Sprint uses? I may end up getting the Galaxy SIII anyway but I want to make sure I do a bit of research first.

Only other choice is probably the Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE.

tino

Banned
Google should put the Galaxy Nexus innard in a smaller 4" package and sell it for $199.

Put the new TI quadcore soc (or whatever soc google is trying to push this time around) in a 4.8" package and let other OEM sell it for $400. HTC can put it in a fancy sealed and slim phone. Sony can put a big camera in its and Samsung and put, I donno a bigger screen to its version? Motorola put lol kevlar in its back.

Kind of tempted to run out today and pick up the HTC One X and replace my iPhone 4. Think I'm ready to play around with Android for awhile.

Talon

Seriously, right? Just hope they go apes hit on specs.

Not like its really needed with a nexus but I just want a new superbadass phone.

Too bad HTC is bleeding all sorts of ridiculous money or we could have a Nexus One...wait a minute...
I hope we're nearing a point where manufacturers will emphasize battery life over quad core processors.

Also, it's not like the Nexus line is making any money. Sony would appear to have more of an incentive to blow it out with a Nexus device to penetrate the Samsung shield.

have you held them? the width is practically the same on the EVO 4G and the GS3/EVO LTE. they're just noticeably taller due to the aspect ratio change. they're also slimmer.

rozay

Banned
Was hoping the nexus would have an A15..

although, I wonder if it'll pop up with a 4470? Still probably puts it below the S3 in terms of battery life and performance, so ehh.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I would love a Sony Nexus but I don't see me getting a new phone for a couple of years. Software makes the difference to me and until my Note doesn't get AOSP updates, I'm good.

It really is the best choice at the moment. The size turns into a non-issue once you get used to it.

Yup anyone who recommends a different phone (at least in this size class) is talking out of their arse. The GS3 is a great phone, the design is a little bland, but for what counts it is great.

My ranking goes like this:

Extra large - Note
Large - GS3
Medium - Xperia P (now that it has ICS)
Small - Xperia U
Extra Small - Desire C

Samsung are untouchable in the larger size classes at the moment. That will change in the coming weeks as Sony get their act together and release a more powerful device, but even then it is unlikely to dethrone the GS3.

Doopliss

That article is also horrible because the author is obviously not knowledgeable enough on phone and region differences. Just look at the part where the Author is wondering why it's the 1.5 dual core and not the 1.4 quad even if it's obvious for us posting in this thread.

Makes me question the whole thing.
I think I'm missing it too. What is the obvious thing about the processor choice?

buhdeh

It really is the best choice at the moment. The size turns into a non-issue once you get used to it.

Yeah the size isn't the issue with the S3... It's how god damn slippery it is and how close the buttons are to the edge of the phone. Everytime I try to one hand press the home or menu key I feel like I'm gonna drop it.

Toki767

Yeah the size isn't the issue with the S3... It's how god damn slippery it is and how close the buttons are to the edge of the phone. Everytime I try to one hand press the home or menu key I feel like I'm gonna drop it.

The trick is to use two hands. I can just barely use it fairly comfortably with one hand myself so I don't have any problems. I did grab a slim case just for the purpose of having a better grip though. Even if the back were different, I think the phone is somewhat too thin for its own good.

Getting an update to my Droid 4, and a big one, too. Please be ICS. I picked the iPhone 4S over you based on the promise of ICS and being a global-ready phone one day.
Also, actual keyboard.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think I'm missing it too. What is the obvious thing about the processor choice?

It's the exact same specs as the NA GS3. Why would you then compare it to the international model when it's obviously the LTE version judging by the specs?

It isn't not quad core because dual core works fine with JB. It's dual core cause thats the current chipset all manufacturers are using in LTE models because it's the top of the line model that has an LTE radio.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
N7 owners, does your tablet talk to you?

this thing won't stfu

It literally reads everything on on the screen including on the browser.

Doopliss

It's the exact same specs as the NA GS3. Why would you then compare it to the international model when it's obviously the LTE version judging by the specs?

It isn't not quad core because dual core works fine with JB. It's dual core cause thats the current chipset all manufacturers are using in LTE models because it's the top of the line model that has an LTE radio.
The purported leak is for a GT-I9260. That follows the model numbering convention Samsung uses for international devices. The image also attributes the device with having HSPA+, not LTE, and an A9 CPU, not a Qualcomm.

Vanillalite

The purported leak is for a GT-I9260. That follows the model numbering convention Samsung uses for international devices. The image also attributes the device with having HSPA+, not LTE, and an A9 CPU, not a Qualcomm.

North American companies won't launch a non LTE enabled Smartphone. They just won't. NA has gone over the flash point. Google isn't going to buck this trend either out of know where.

I called into question the image though. It almost seems as if they could be mixing info. Same shit happened when info on the One X and GS3 leaked as everyone pulled all the info into one group despite their being two.editions of each phone.

North American companies won't launch a non LTE enabled Smartphone. They just won't. NA has gone over the flash point. Google isn't going to buck this trend either out of know where.

I called into question the image though. It almost seems as if they could be mixing info. Same shit happened when info on the One X and GS3 leaked as everyone pulled all the info into one group despite their being two.editions of each phone.

Galaxy Nexus II Starkist

Galaxy Nexus II LTE Chicken of the Sea

rozay

Banned

This phone (i9260) isn't going to be sold by north american carriers, and if it is it will ship as an LTE variant with a different model number. That doesn't mean the image is inaccurate.

Vanillalite

This phone (i9260) isn't going to be sold by north american carriers, and if it is it will ship as an LTE variant with a different model number. That doesn't mean the image is inaccurate.

Dual Core A9 though clocked at 1.5 doesn't currently exist though. It makes no feasible sense IMO unless they can easily just overclock the current yields to 1.5 without any real fab changes to go with a A9 1.5 chip just for the nexus device when the chip won't be used in anything else, and will bsaically be year old tech to begin with.

Not to mention the fact that 1.5ghz just happens to be the exact clock speed of all the dual core LTE chips in NA that are currently being used in multiple phones. Makes me think did they just mix things up?

PS: This is counting the A9 in phone form as I'm aware it's available in tablet form. If they can use the chips in both easily then I redact.

rozay

Banned
Dual Core A9 though clocked at 1.5 doesn't currently exist though. It makes no feasible sense IMO unless they can easily just overclock the current yields to 1.5 without any real fab changes to go with a A9 1.5 chip just for the nexus device when the chip won't be used in anything else, and will bsaically be year old tech to begin with.

Not to mention the fact that 1.5ghz just happens to be the exact clock speed of all the dual core LTE chips in NA that are currently being used in multiple phones. Makes me think did they just mix things up?

PS: This is counting the A9 in phone form as I'm aware it's available in tablet form. If they can use the chips in both easily then I redact.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4413/...pecs-powervr-sgx544-18-ghz-dual-core-cortexa9

It will definitely be old tech if they go with the 4460 in the current nexus, and arguably old tech if they bump it up to a 4470 considering we'll be seeing A15s in phones soon. I would imagine it's a lot less work to just do this and it'll keep the refresh at the $350 price point, but it'll be outspecced by most phones coming out around then (though the butter should keep it faster, especially if said fall/winter devices don't launch with 4.1) It will definitely be disappointing if they have nothing else planned for a fall nexus phone.

I would like to see a new qualcomm chip in a nexus, the only reason my nexus one is currently running 4.1 is because the source for a lot of qualcomm's drivers were available. With the newly utilized power of the adreno 200, I can finally scroll between homescreen pages while using the nexus live wallpaper without having the moving lines stutter!

rozay

Banned
They aren't using Qualcomm in Nexus devices because Qualcomm refuses to release source code and that sort of thing. Everything about OMAP is open.
Is Qualcomm really more restrictive with their source than nvidia (which made it into a nexus)? I'd assume if it appeared in a nexus, that wouldn't be the case(but nobody outside of google could really answer that as we don't know how they decide on platforms)

You're right that OMAP is a pretty nice development platform though.

Well the Nexus 7 Android image has to hit AOSP in order for it to be a Nexus device, so we have to assume that Nvidia is allowing Tegra source code to be released. Nvidia is well-known for protecting it's driver source code on the PC side (which famously makes Linus Torvalds angry) as they perceive it to be a competitive advantage over AMD/ATI. If you've seen AMD/ATI PC GPU drivers compared to Nvidia PC GPU drivers, it's hard to argue with Nvidia there. On the Android side it doesn't matter nearly as much to them I guess, they really want to get Tegra into as many devices as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom