• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just don't see it, with the Nexus 7 and the ipad mini, the fire really holds no advantages and significant disadvantages. They can compete against a new nook tablet.

this is their shot. they've lined everything up. added more markets for their app store. got non-sucky free apps again. they are about to unleash salvo #2!

Game Guru

Why exactly are they "ready to sue" rather than licensing the patents?

Samsung would be happy to license their patents out to Apple if it is in a cross-licensing deal between Samsung patents and Apple patents. Samsung has been getting sued left, right, and center by Apple, so you think they'd be happy with anything less than cross-licensing with anything that isn't a FRAND patent?

Al-ibn Kermit

Still think the Kindle branding holds well in a lot of people's minds even if it's not an e-reader. I think that does really well for them, and holds more cache than the Nexus 7 (irregardless of which is the better device).

That ipad mini is going to be a frick'n monster though.

Irregardless you say?

I'm really annoyed at the little things of the ICS on my gs2. Why do I still need to press a confirmation button after I click "shut down phone", or why do I get that irritating "battery low" message after I boot my phone back up with the charger?

I was pretty sure we found that to be full of shit when developer after developer started coming out killing the amazon store

i don't recall that, URL?

i mean, i know that developer after developer came out killing the Amazon Appstore because they weren't getting paid for being the free app of the day (after Amazon approaches them and asks, etc, bla ,bla) and the influx of new (free) users was overbearing.

I'm really annoyed at the little things of the ICS on my gs2. Why do I still need to press a confirmation button after I click "shut down phone", or why do I get that irritating "battery low" message after I boot my phone back up with the charger?

I'm pretty sure it's routine for operating systems of all stripes to pop up a confirmation dialog before going through with a shutdown. Except Windows, haha.

The battery low message appears when the battery is low. Wait until it's charged a bit before you start it again, or you know, try to plug it in before your phone's battery drains to the point where it's shutting down.

So apparently Samsung: If Apple Releases an LTE iPhone, We're Ready to Sue

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/08/30/samsung-if-apple-releases-an-lte-iphone-were-ready-to-sue/

Time to give Apple a taste of their own medicine. This should be fun.

Remember: it's not considered FRAND to you unless you participated in the standards creation process! Or something, the definition of FRAND is as confusing as it is constantly shifting.

more on BEST GALAXY 2012, courtesy of GSMArena

sane MicroSD slot placement?!

OU4Qw.jpg

The pixels of the Note II have one tall Blue sub-pixel on the left and smaller Green and Red pixels stacked one on top of the other. It's an odd arrangement, but it has three subpixels per pixel. The reason for the different Blue pixel is that Blue AMOLEDs typically have a shorter life and making them bigger balances things out. Also, the Blue pixel doesn't shine as brightly, which also improves its life, but doesn't affect color balance (because it's bigger).

6AhHQ.png

artist's rendition via kersh @XDA

4RYk2.jpg

rozay

Banned
That's a big improvement, and from this zoomed in perspective looks like the best solution for the moment if they can't produce traditional rgb-stripe AMOLED HD displays. Hopefully it appears in more than just the Note II this year though.

One thing that is not strictly an app, but a cool feature nonetheless, is Smart rotation. It builds on the Smart stay feature introduced with the Galaxy S III - it keeps track of your eyes and will rotate the screen accordingly.
nice!

No. LTE is not essential to building a device. It is a nice addition, but not essential.
LTE is an approved standard that has standards essential patents that are licensed under FRAND terms. as for "not essential", good luck selling your phone to US carriers. that's why Qualcomm is making money hand over fist with their Snapdragon S4... they have a built in LTE modem.

I'm pretty sure it's routine for operating systems of all stripes to pop up a confirmation dialog before going through with a shutdown. Except Windows, haha.

The battery low message appears when the battery is low. Wait until it's charged a bit before you start it again, or you know, try to plug it in before your phone's battery drains to the point where it's shutting down.

I leave it there for hours and when I boot up I get that message stating I have low battery eventough I just charged it.

That sound is so loud. Can't we regulate how much volume the alarms give off?

LTE is an approved standard that has standards essential patents that are licensed under FRAND terms. as for "not essential", good luck selling your phone to US carriers. that's why Qualcomm is making money hand over fist with their Snapdragon S4... they have a built in LTE modem.

Will the phone turn on and run without LTE? If yes, then it is not essential. Some patents may be FRAND (probably handover), but I highly doubt that LTE can be included in a device without licencing non FRAND patents, which is what Samsung are hinting right now.

Cipherr

AFAIK Samsungs LTE patents are actually not FRAND. If they are though Id like a source, thats just what I have been reading, so meh.

Cipherr

Massively massively misleading title there. Some percentage bullshit is irrelevant when the userbase on Play dwarfs that on Amazon.

The actual revenue is so heavily weighted towards Google Play that Amazon is barely worth bothering with for me.

I got a chuckle out of the misleading idea that the Amazon app store generates 89% of what the iOS Appstore does though. Anyone who doesn't double take at that and reads it again to notice the careful word choice and whatnot deserves to be misled.

Will the phone turn on and run without LTE? If yes, then it is not essential. Some patents may be FRAND (probably handover), but I highly doubt that LTE can be included in a device without licencing non FRAND patents, which is what Samsung are hinting right now.

"standards essential" is not "essential"

a phone will turn and run without 3G.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Very interesting stuff about the new OLED subpixel arrangements. Looks like a good improvement and will almost surely show up in the new Nexus.

Massively massively misleading title there. Some percentage bullshit is irrelevant when the userbase on Play dwarfs that on Amazon.

The actual revenue is so heavily weighted towards Google Play that Amazon is barely worth bothering with for me.

we were arguing about users buying apps though, not actual revenue. ARPU is a good way to quantify that.

"standards essential" is not "essential"

a phone will turn and run without 3G.

Exactly, so LTE is not an essential feature. The phone will work without LTE. Whether such a phone is desirable is not the problem of the patent holder. Most 3G patents aren't FRAND either, again, the handover ones are as they are crucial to the running of the phone.

AFAIK Samsungs LTE patents are actually not FRAND. If they are though Id like a source, thats just what I have been reading, so meh.

i know that LTE is supposed to be covered under FRAND like preceeding cellular tech was, and i haven't seen any sources state clearly that Samsung's patents were or weren't covered.

Exactly, so LTE is not an essential feature. The phone will work without LTE. Whether such a phone is desirable is not the problem of the patent holder. Most 3G patents aren't FRAND either, again, the handover ones are as they are crucial to the running of the phone.

i can't wait to see how many of these Samsung LTE patents aren't FRAND and also are something that's not already licensed to the hardware manufacturer that Apple bought the parts from...

Regrettably, the current 2012 Best Galaxy remains the only phone which officially supports Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. That would be Galaxy Nexus. The next 2012 Best Galaxy will presumably be released in November. We'll see if Google goes with Samsung again, if not, then the next Best Android won't be a Galaxy at all.

it has the Jelly Beans. of course, it's not actually out yet, but it does indeed have the Jelly Beans. also, no. worst screen, worst battery life, worst camera, worst storage, worst CPU, worst GPU, worst Galaxy 2011, official support means nothing. ESPECIALLY if you have one of the CDMA version. COME AT ME WHEN toroplus has the Jelly Beans... also, Nexus S has the Jelly Beans too.

i can't wait to see how many of these Samsung LTE patents aren't FRAND and also are something that's not already licensed to the hardware manufacturer that Apple bought the parts from...

I'm pretty sure that Apple Ax SoCs are still being manufactured by Samsung. Samsung knows exactly what is and isn't licensed to them, since they are one of Apple's hardware manufacturers! I think this is one case where the unholy matrimony that Apple and Samsung have will work against Apple instead of Samsung.

it has the Jelly Beans. of course, it's not actually out yet, but it does indeed have the Jelly Beans. also, no. worst screen, worst battery life, worst camera, worst storage, worst CPU, worst GPU, worst Galaxy 2011 means nothing. ESPECIALLY if you have one of the CDMA version. COME AT ME WHEN toroplus has the Jelly Beans...

Cry moar about how the other Galaxies don't have the Jelly Beans, instead they get the awesome consolation prize called Touchwiz!

I'm pretty sure that Apple Ax SoCs are still being manufactured by Samsung. Samsung knows exactly what is and isn't licensed to them, since they are one of Apple's hardware manufacturers! I think this is one case where the unholy matrimony that Apple and Samsung have will work against Apple instead of Samsung.
man, if only Samsung could make SoC's with integrated basebands for their own phones... they wouldn't have to buy from Qualcomm!

Cry moar about how the other Galaxies don't have the Jelly Beans, instead they get the awesome consolation prize called Touchwiz!
honestly... AOSP isn't that good. i prefer the added functionality of stuff like CM/AOKP/etc... something something best Android experience. i see a ton of people asking where DEM Jelly Beans ARE? for their Nexus and i'm like "great tournament, great experience".

man, if only Samsung could make SoC's with integrated basebands for their own phones... they wouldn't have to buy from Qualcomm!

Hasn't Samsung been working on this like forever? I don't know what's taking them so long, at their current pace Nvidia will actually beat them to integrated LTE basebands. In Korea they sell phones with Exynos and LTE, so I don't get it at all.

honestly... AOSP isn't that good. i prefer the added functionality of stuff like CM/AOKP/etc... something something best Android experience. i see a ton of people asking where DAT jellybean is for their Nexus and i'm like "great tournament, great experience".

/shrug

I love stock Android just fine. And even coming from ICS, the performance improvements in JB are still pretty impressive.

Hasn't Samsung been working on this like forever? I don't know what's taking them so long, at their current pace Nvidia will actually beat them to integrated LTE basebands. In Korea they sell phones with Exynos and LTE, so I don't get it at all.
i'm sure that Samsung, TI and Nvidia are all racing as fast as humanly possible to have integrated LTE. the Korean version has a separate LTE baseband and is thicker. much higher battery drain that way, but Samsung has a ridiculous Smartphone marketshare in Korea anyway and LG takes most of the leftovers.

/shrug

I love stock Android just fine.
that's the great thing, people can choose what they want... well, if it's available!

Nvidia are set to release their first fully integrated solution in Q1 2013, Samsung won't beat that timetable. The LTE GS3 with quad core uses MDM9600 from Qualcomm, not their own modem.

Let's also not forget about ST-Ericsson, they are going to integrate the Nova A9600 with their LTE baseband, Thor M7400 towards the middle of 2013 and it will be available for devices shipping in Q4 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom