• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
first sighting of HTC's One Note? or Droid Incredible Note 4G LTE?

PGJhe.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/31/3283979/mystery-htc-android-phone-surfaces-is-it-bound-for-verizon

tino

Banned
If this is a 5" 1080p phone with a quadcore S4 Pro then this is officially the true successor to the Galaxy Note 1.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Regrettably, the current 2012 Best Galaxy remains the only phone which officially supports Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. That would be Galaxy Nexus. The next 2012 Best Galaxy will presumably be released in November. We'll see if Google goes with Samsung again, if not, then the next Best Android won't be a Galaxy at all.

As someone who has owned the GNex and now the Note, no competition. The Note is superior, IMO. And talk about software is meaningless because I can put AOKP on my Note. AOSP and instant updates are nice but ICS to JB is not GB to ICS.

Darkkn

How does the S3 headphone notification icon not drive you crazy?

They have patched it out from the international version already along with the headphone notification widget, good riddance. Jellybean update will probably remove it for all gs3:s.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I thought the new Samsung phones were already devoid of all the crap Apple was suing them about? Now they've added the SGSIII and Note to the lawsuit.

Damn, someone needs to stop Apple. This is getting ridiculous.

gcubed

I thought the new Samsung phones were already devoid of all the crap Apple was suing them about? Now they've added the SGSIII and Note to the lawsuit.

Damn, someone needs to stop Apple. This is getting ridiculous.

well apple invented touch screens so really until the patents get invalidated they can go after anyone

gcubed

well apple invented touch screens so really until the patents get invalidated they can go after anyone

Apple actually invented the smartphone. We'll all have to go back to dumbphones to avoid infringement!

Interestingly enough, Blizzard invented the MMO when they created World of Warcraft, but they haven't been suing all the competing MMOs out of existence. It might be because of WoW's sheer dominance of the MMO market, maybe Blizzard would go after all those knockoffs if WoW wasn't nearly as successful!

kinggroin

Banned
^^^
Banned for what?

Yeah, I'd wish we could get a full list of what all needs to be changed in android to avoid further litigation. Its all just so tiresome.

gcubed

^^^
Banned for what?

Yeah, I'd wish we could get a full list of what all needs to be changed in android to avoid further litigation. Its all just so tiresome.

i dont really know of much left if the verge is correct about JB's implementation of multi touch scrolling. I just want to know how they did it

Apple actually invented the smartphone. We'll all have to go back to dumbphones to avoid infringement!

Interestingly enough, Blizzard invented the MMO when they created World of Warcraft, but they haven't been suing all the competing MMOs out of existence. It might be because of WoW's sheer dominance of the MMO market, maybe Blizzard would go after all those knockoffs if WoW wasn't nearly as successful!

Blizzard invented the MMO now? Or is this some kind of masterful apple troll going over my head

kehs

Banned
^^^
Banned for what?

Welcome to software patents.

The Apple patent is very specific in its implemetantion(as far as the multi touch discrimination patent goes). Samsung violated because they copied it completely.

As soon as the first point is detected the scrolling method is put into a linear scrolling methods. (Up/down or left/right) second point comes in and then it enters zoom in/out modeif you let go of the second point it reverts to one dimensional scrolling

JB allows scrolling in both directions when the second point is removed.

That's the "unique implementation" from apple. In short...fuck software patents that describe actions above the HAL and between the user and the hardware.

The screen size is over an inch bigger than the S2 and we won't actually know about the negatives until the phones ship to early adopters.

I've heard that the Note 1 is actually slower in games than the GS2. According to the specs, will that be the same case to the Note 2 when compared to the S3?

rozay

Banned
I've heard that the Note 1 is actually slower in games than the GS2. According to the specs, will that be the same case to the Note 2 when compared to the S3?
The note 1 shared the same processor & GPU (clocked a little higher I think?) as the S2 while bumping the resolution up to 1280x800 from the S2's 800x480.

GS3 and Note 2 have the same resolution screen and the same processor, so I'd expect games to perform much more similarly between the two. Keep in mind if you're in the states, it's likely going to have a snapdragon S4 or another qualcomm processor.

tino

Banned
The note 1 shared the same processor & GPU (clocked a little higher I think?) as the S2 while bumping the resolution up to 1280x800 from the S2's 800x480.

GS3 and Note 2 have the same resolution screen and the same processor, so I'd expect games to perform much more similarly between the two. Keep in mind if you're in the states, it's likely going to have a snapdragon S4 or another qualcomm processor.

And the NA version of Samsung S3 has the same S4.

gcubed

The Apple patent is very specific in its implemetantion(as far as the multi touch discrimination patent goes). Samsung violated because they copied it completely.

As soon as the first point is detected the scrolling method is put into a linear scrolling methods. (Up/down or left/right) second point comes in and then it enters zoom in/out modeif you let go of the second point it reverts to one dimensional scrolling

That's the "unique implementation" from apple. In short...fuck software patents that describe actions above the HAL and between the user and the hardware.

Thanks, the patent sounds useless. And welcome back

Cipherr

You were missed bro

kehs

Banned
The nexus s treating you THAT bad?

I'm pretty sure it's a defective unit at this point.

Which makes me feel bad about the person who had it for a year (they now have GN). It literally take like two seconds to unlock or go to Now. The battery also only last about.....8 hours on stand by.

If I can hawk it for a good enough price, I'm going Meego until Xperia Nexus or edgeless Moto Nexus, or Apple Nexus.

all i want for America is S4 Pro. put that in my Note 2 please Samsung!

So my sister has a Samsung Dart with android. Pretty crappy smartphone but meh.

She wants to play music on it so I loaded a bunch of music onto it via usb and put it in the music folder but neither google play music or the default music player have any way to import them into a library or to browse for them. Not sure what to do. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

kinggroin

Banned
So my sister has a Samsung Dart with android. Pretty crappy smartphone but meh.

She wants to play music on it so I loaded a bunch of music onto it via usb and put it in the music folder but neither google play music or the default music player have any way to import them into a library or to browse for them. Not sure what to do. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

SD card or internal memory

SD card or internal memory

Ummm it has an SD card but I can't really tell which I loaded it to.

Edit: I removed SD card and it all disappeared so I assume it was on the SD card though I really have no clue. Its just that i know the music is on the phone but no idea how to get the music players to find it.

So confusing. I have an HTC one and it all goes so smoothly.

Zoe

Google Music auto discovered my music on the external card. Check the on-device only option and you should see the songs.

Google Music auto discovered my music on the external card. Check the on-device only option and you should see the songs.

I don't even see a place to change options in the google play app I downloaded for music.

(to be clear I have barely ever used this phone so I could be missing something stupid and obvious)

kehs

Banned
Have you tried restarting the phone? The media server that analyzes the storage is a little finnicky, and restarting usually resolves the scanning of the storage.

the media scanner *should* rescan immediately when the sd card is remounted and find all of the files. check to see if there's a ".nomedia" file in the folder you put the music in. you can also go in the menu and memoryu settings and unmount the SD then eject and re-insert it. some media players also have a 'force rescan' option. and as Coppy said, there's always "restart the phone" as an option.

tino

Banned
I don't even see a place to change options in the google play app I downloaded for music.

(to be clear I have barely ever used this phone so I could be missing something stupid and obvious)

If you move large amount of music (like a few gigs) you will have to wait for them to show up on google play music. Google music player's indexing is very slow.

Zoe

If you bring up the menu on one of the song list pages, it will be one of the options.

Yeah I restarted phone.

It looks like the sings were ripped using windows media. Could that be the problem? I can find the files on the phone using the file manager. However, can't seem to open them.

kehs

Banned
I don't think Google Music supports .wma files. Winamp might though.

Options:

-Use another player
-Rerip as mp3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom